View Full Version : Who Pitches Game 4?

reds44
10-09-2012, 09:23 PM

Joseph
10-09-2012, 09:24 PM
Latos

Jefferson24
10-09-2012, 09:24 PM
doesn't matter if we don't hit better than tonight. that was disgusting.

steig
10-09-2012, 09:42 PM
If it isn't Latos then I'm going to be very scared for this series

Roy Tucker
10-09-2012, 09:44 PM
Latos and the pen. LeCure for multiple innings if necessary.

Brutus
10-09-2012, 09:44 PM

I'd rather have Leake than Latos pitching again on three days rest since Latos could be used for game five if necessary. But I don't want them to have to remove Cueto from the roster either, so I'm not sure I like any of the options at this moment in time.

kbrake
10-09-2012, 09:45 PM
Dusty says it hasn't been decided says its either Latos or Leake. Please let it be Latos.

RedsMan3203
So if you go Latos on short rest and that blows up... You work through the pen for the rest of the innings....

Then you'll have Arroyo going on short rest for game 5......

hebroncougar

Why? You'd still have Latos in game 5. And we pound Cain. Doesn't matter. We are pounding Zito tomorrow.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

RedsMan3203
10-09-2012, 09:46 PM
Should have had Simon come in tonight and pitch one pitch and grab his back in pain...

Remove him from the game and let Marshall take over....

Place him on the DL tomorrow and recall Leake.

Brutus
10-09-2012, 09:46 PM
To me, I say Simon is injured. Replace him with Leake and let Mike go out and win the series tomorrow. I have faith in him. If that doesn't work, you've got Latos pitching on normal rest for game five and you save Cueto for the LCS.

redsfaninbsg
10-09-2012, 09:48 PM
To me, I say Simon is injured. Replace him with Leake and let Mike go out and win the series tomorrow. I have faith in him. If that doesn't work, you've got Latos pitching on normal rest for game five and you save Cueto for the LCS.

This, if there was ever a time to fake an injury it's now.

kaldaniels
10-09-2012, 09:51 PM
Simon hurt and to DL. Cueto to start. Leake if necessary.

I hope.

Ghosts of 1990
10-09-2012, 10:08 PM
I think they'll go with Leake.

Its decisions like this that make me glad I'm not a manager.

harangatang
10-09-2012, 10:09 PM
I don't think it matters. One way or another the Reds will find a way to come back and win this series. Every time it look like the Reds are done, they rally back and surprise everyone. I have no idea who they will pitch tomorrow and I really don't care. If it fails, you can bet they'll be battling in Game 5.

Brutus
10-09-2012, 10:12 PM
I sense that the Reds would be pitching Leake tomorrow without any hesitation if it didn't mean replacing Cueto for the LCS. That seems to be the only issue at the moment.

Caveat Emperor
10-09-2012, 10:48 PM
On the plus side, at least it's not like we're relying on Mike Leake for G5. That would be truly depressing.

REDREAD
10-09-2012, 11:07 PM
The Reds need to do an HONEST assessment of Cueto.. For once they have to really decide if he's going to be able to pitch effectively later.
This isn't like the regular season, where they can do their usual "day to day" for 3 weeks and then send the guy out for surgery..

I really don't want to do Latos tommorrow.
I'd almost just go ahead and start Simon/Lecure and make it a bullpen game.. sigh.. this really sucks. Let Latos start game 5.

Superdude
10-09-2012, 11:38 PM
Man...the pendulum swung hard that game. If we don't win tomorrow, we're right back to a one game coin flip. The idea of sending Leake out there with those kind of stakes is gonna keep me up all night. On the other hand, sending Latos out on back to back short rest this early in the playoffs gives me just as much heartburn. That's not an arm I wanna drive into the ground. I know we're still one win away, but man that one hurt!

Reds/Flyers Fan
10-09-2012, 11:42 PM
I sense that the Reds would be pitching Leake tomorrow without any hesitation if it didn't mean replacing Cueto for the LCS. That seems to be the only issue at the moment.

Why do the Reds have to DL Cueto to start Leake? Could they, say, DL Simon instead? I would really not want to go into the NLCS without even the threat of Cueto.

Marc Amazon on WLW's Extra Innings said Homer Bailey is saying that Leake wills start tomorrow. He didn't say what source he heard that from though.

Brutus
10-09-2012, 11:44 PM
Why do the Reds have to DL Cueto to start Leake? Could they, say, DL Simon instead? I would really not want to go into the NLCS without even the threat of Cueto.

Marc Amazon on WLW's Extra Innings said Homer Bailey is saying that Leake wills start tomorrow. He didn't say what source he heard that from though.

They certainly could, but there's a risk of raising suspicion from MLB if they do it. Technically they do have to get it approved, although it might be a formality.

10-10-2012, 12:46 AM
I don't know who the Reds will start tomorrow, but regardless, I'm betting the over.

sabometrics
10-10-2012, 03:03 AM

The interview with the press was on multiple networks tonight. MLB Network and Baseball Tonight both showed it I believe. Unless Dusty wanted someone to throw out a red herring to keep the Giants guessing I think its safe to assume Leake is going tomorrow.

Matt700wlw
10-10-2012, 06:46 AM

He also said Sean Casey was going to sign with the Reds when Votto went down.

I'll leave it at that.

PuffyPig
10-10-2012, 07:10 AM
I don't think it matters. One way or another the Reds will find a way to come back and win this series. Every time it look like the Reds are done, they rally back and surprise everyone. I have no idea who they will pitch tomorrow and I really don't care. If it fails, you can bet they'll be battling in Game 5.

Pretty tough to come back from being up 2-1.......

Benihana
10-10-2012, 07:39 AM
IF the Reds really think Cueto will be ready for the NLCS...

What about going Latos today and Arroyo tomorrow? Yes both will be on three days rest, but worst case if you advance you could go:

Cueto
Bailey
Latos
Arroyo
Cueto
Bailey
Latos

PuffyPig
10-10-2012, 07:51 AM
IF the Reds really think Cueto will be ready for the NLCS...

What about going Latos today and Arroyo tomorrow? Yes both will be on three days rest.....

History has not been kind to pitchers on 3 days rest in the playoffs.

hebroncougar
10-10-2012, 08:12 AM
If Cueto can't go today, I think you have to go Leake. You can't got Lecure or Simon for fear of burning up your entire pen in a game 4. I'd much, much rather have Latos in game 5 on full rest than take the chance of burning him game 4 in short rest and have no idea who I throw in 5.

jhu1321
10-10-2012, 08:15 AM
If Cueto can't go today, I think you have to go Leake. You can't got Lecure or Simon for fear of burning up your entire pen in a game 4. I'd much, much rather have Latos in game 5 on full rest than take the chance of burning him game 4 in short rest and have no idea who I throw in 5.

They'd throw Arroyo in game 5 if they burn Latos today and we lose.

hebroncougar
10-10-2012, 08:23 AM
They'd throw Arroyo in game 5 if they burn Latos today and we lose.

On short rest...

_Sir_Charles_
10-10-2012, 08:37 AM
http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=25370131

According to Homer, it's Leake.

Caveat Emperor
10-10-2012, 08:42 AM
On short rest...

I'd take Arroyo and Latos on short rest over Mike Leake on any amount of rest.

RedsMan3203
10-10-2012, 08:46 AM
http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=25370131

According to Homer, it's Leake.

And I think that is probably the right call.....

I hate to burn the pen all the way up today or run a combo of Latos/Arroyo out there on short rest....

_Sir_Charles_
10-10-2012, 08:52 AM
If they're still not sure on Cueto, I bet they DL someone else though.

Roy Tucker
10-10-2012, 08:54 AM
I bet the Reds rue the decision to not put Leake on the roster to start the LDS.

You dance withe the one who brung you. Latos as long as he can go with LeCure pitching multiple innings.

OesterPoster
10-10-2012, 08:58 AM
Leake on a short leash. Latos or LeCure or Simon ready to go right away.

By the way, have you guys seen the ticket prices on Stubhub for today? Yowzers. Glad I already sold my tix for close to face value.

Hoosier Red
10-10-2012, 09:00 AM

While I'm not a fan of burning up the pen, would it be reasonable to burn up the three "long relievers" (Lecure, Simon, Arrendondo) today but have Arroyo ready to go in relief tomorrow as a worst case scenario?

OldRightHander
10-10-2012, 09:01 AM
Leake on a short leash. Latos or LeCure or Simon ready to go right away.

By the way, have you guys seen the ticket prices on Stubhub for today? Yowzers. Glad I already sold my tix for close to face value.

Yep, I just got a view level seat for $17.

dman
10-10-2012, 09:08 AM
Fox Sports is showing a Zito vs. Latos matchup on their preview.

traderumor
10-10-2012, 09:17 AM
If you have to lose Cueto because he's probably not available for next series, I'm in the "Leake on a short leash" camp. You don't want to put all your eggs in the short rest basket, gotta keep Latos in your hip pocket for Game 5. We should be able to get some runs off Zito and a SF bullpen that just used two key guys for two innings last night.

If it is Leake, then that pretty much tells us that the Cueto injury was making him unlikely available for the next series anyhow. Hopefully we get good Leake for 5, get a lead, and try to ride the bullpen home.

RedsManRick
10-10-2012, 09:17 AM
Fox Sports is showing a Zito vs. Latos matchup on their preview.

I saw on twitter that the Reds were going to DL Cueto and it would be Leake.

WildcatFan
10-10-2012, 09:39 AM
I saw on twitter that the Reds were going to DL Cueto and it would be Leake.

I saw that too. That's not a good sign for the rest of the playoffs. If they don't even think he can come back for a game 5 or 6, which wouldn't be for another 10-12 days, I can't imagine they expect to have him at all.

That said, I realize it's probably Leake, but I'm still throwing my two cents in for Latos. Short rest after a short outing, but I have no doubt he would be a better option than Leake. And Arroyo has proven he's fine on three days rest if there's a Game 5. If Latos shows any sign of struggle (he won't), warm LeCure up.

Kc61
10-10-2012, 09:47 AM
I would go with Latos and Lecure to cover 7 innings or so for today. It's hard to be confident in Leake right now. Then Arroyo tomorrow.

Many of us suggested keeping Leake on the roster because he provides flexibility as a starter, long man, even a pinch hitter or runner. They should have done this IMO.

If it's Leake, let's hope he has a great game.

Tony Cloninger
10-10-2012, 09:48 AM
I think Latos could go 80 pitches at least. I hope these hitters have not reverted back to swing for the fences mode here. They were taking great swings and working counts better in SF. They should be patient with Zito and hit him but of course...I can see Leake being hit as well.

Blitz Dorsey
10-10-2012, 09:50 AM
Anyone else notice the irony that we don't have a starting pitcher miss a start all year ... and then our ace gets hurt 0.1 innings into the first playoff game.

Oh well, we're still in the driver's seat. Let's finish off the Giants today/tonight.

Jefferson24
10-10-2012, 09:52 AM
Simon hurt and to DL. Cueto to start. Leake if necessary.

I hope.

That is the absolute best strategy unless there is no way Cueto would be ready to pitch in the next round. If there is any chance he might be slightly able to go then you have to find a way to leave him on the roster.

If they aren't going to DL Simon, then I say go with Latos today in an effort to end it today and put off making that difficult decision yet. If we win it buys some days to further evaluate Cueto.

Tony Cloninger
10-10-2012, 09:53 AM
Anyone else notice the irony that we don't have a starting pitcher miss a start all year ... and then our ace gets hurt 0.1 innings into the first playoff game.

Oh well, we're still in the driver's seat. Let's finish off the Giants today/tonight.

It's not sweet irony ...that's for sure. It's more like a punch in the mouth and makes trying to enjoy this harder to do. Cueto must have been too amped and overdid himself. No other explanation that this happens all of a sudden.

Ghosts of 1990
10-10-2012, 09:53 AM
The Cueto thing was just a bad beat. Don't know how we're expected to make a run to the World Series all the sudden without our ace. Takes a lot of fun out of this for me. Only in Cincinnati would this happen. Guy gets one out and misses the NLDS and NLCS. Are you kidding me?

Red Rover
10-10-2012, 09:57 AM
If it is Leake today and Latos tomorrow, then I'm rooting real hard for the Nationals. You can set up Bailey for game 1 in their park. On the other hand, Bailey did pitch great at home tonight.

WildcatFan
10-10-2012, 10:04 AM
The Cueto thing was just a bad beat. Don't know how we're expected to make a run to the World Series all the sudden without our ace. Takes a lot of fun out of this for me. Only in Cincinnati would this happen. Guy gets one out and misses the NLDS and NLCS. Are you kidding me?

Pretty big leap from Cueto out--> no more fun. I need to see a proof.

wolfboy
10-10-2012, 10:11 AM

Reading your recent posts http://www.redszone.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2748924&postcount=4 it doesn't seem like you were having that much fun in the first place, so no harm no foul I guess.

cumberlandreds
10-10-2012, 10:13 AM
Reading your recent posts http://www.redszone.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2748924&postcount=4 (http://www.redszone.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2748924&postcount=4) it doesn't seem like you were having that much fun in the first place, so no harm no foul I guess.

Ghost of 1990 is really Thom Brennaman. ;) How we lookin' Thom. :)

RedsMan3203
10-10-2012, 10:22 AM
Hey, it could be worse... We could be falling back on Redmond...

hebroncougar
10-10-2012, 10:26 AM

Kind of like that Votto thing back in August/July huh? How'd that turn out? The way Latos, Bailey, and Arroyo are throwing, how can you not be confident? Sure they're better with Cueto, but good god, you're not having fun? Not having fun? Tell me you're kidding? If you aren't enjoying this run, you might as well not be a sports fan. This is what it's all about. Adversity, pressure, win at all costs, and it's the playoffs. We are a 9-7 record away from a World Series title, and Leake would have to pitch 3 of those games if Cueto doesn't come back at all. I'll take my chances and enjoy it. :thisyear:

Matt700wlw
10-10-2012, 10:42 AM
All signs are pointing to Leake, leaving them a rested Latos and 3 days rested Arroyo for game 5.

It was looking like a 3 game series sweep, and now it's onto planning game 5. Missed opportunity last night.

mattfeet
10-10-2012, 10:42 AM
It's Leake:

John Buccigross @Buccigross
Reds plan to start Mike Leake today says ESPN's Bob Holtzman

RedsMan3203
10-10-2012, 10:48 AM
I hope Leake puts on his big boys pants today.....

oneupper
10-10-2012, 11:01 AM
At least it improves the lineup.

KittyDuran
10-10-2012, 11:07 AM
He'll still be stuck batting 9th... :(
Another note: Has Hannigan (if he will be the catcher today) ever caught Leake besides ST? :confused:

oregonred
10-10-2012, 11:07 AM
I think you save a full rested Latos for a possible Game 5 or Game 1 of the NLCS (please, please). The pen is well rested as Leake will be on a very short leash tonight. Would love to see Frazier in the lineup tonight (but it won't happen). Cairo taking up a playoff spot over Leake. Egad.

RedsManRick
10-10-2012, 11:09 AM

I know that's said somewhat in jest, but it's actually very real. The average pitcher is such a poor hitter (and the Reds bench isn't exactly stellar) that Leake put up 1.3 WAR as a hitter this year -- 2.8 WAR over 195 PA for his career. The production he gives you at the plate goes a long way in offsetting the disadvantage he gives you on the mound relative to somebody who's just marginally more effective, like Arroyo.

cumberlandreds
10-10-2012, 11:09 AM

I hope he lasts long enough to get in an AB.

You know with all of our fretting over Leake he is going to go out and pitch a gem. :)

traderumor
10-10-2012, 11:10 AM
I think it is pretty fortunate that we at least get a matchup of our #5 vs. their #4. It comes down to the bats coming alive tonight moreso than who takes the ball first.

CySeymour
Just for the sake of argument, what if instead of dropping Cueto, they drop Simon?

oregonred
Bat Leake 2nd? I'm only half-kidding... His OPS is almost Valdez + Cairo combined.

Reds/Flyers Fan
10-10-2012, 11:12 AM
Just for the sake of argument, what if instead of dropping Cueto, they drop Simon?

Or Arredondo?

MasonBuzz3
10-10-2012, 11:14 AM

please, please, please

oregonred
10-10-2012, 11:17 AM
The Reds must know Cueto would be unlikely to pitch until at least the back end of the NLCS in the best case, so probably an easier decision then we all think.

Latos, Arroyo and Bailey can fill games 1,2,3 and 5,6,7 in the NLCS regardless if there is a Game 5 (where Latos would become the Game 3 NLCS starter).

Let's pray for good Leake tonight...

traderumor
10-10-2012, 11:17 AM
Simon and Arredondo aren't injured, Cueto is. Wouldn't that be pretty obvious?

oregonred
10-10-2012, 11:18 AM

Easy, that's where Jeff Gillooly comes in handy.

WVRedsFan
10-10-2012, 11:28 AM
I hope Leake puts on his big boys pants today.....Little is the new big...at least according to the Colonel.

mdccclxix
10-10-2012, 11:29 AM
Leake is pretty bad at GABP, pretty bad during the day, pretty bad during the first 50 pitches thrown... I just don't know other than to say he's a fighter and can come up big when you least expect it. He's had time off to rest and should have some velocity, not that it matters too much to his game. I slate him for 4 runs today and tell Votto to find that power stroke!

oregonred
10-10-2012, 11:32 AM
Leake is pretty bad at GABP, pretty bad during the day, pretty bad during the first 50 pitches thrown... I just don't know other than to say he's a fighter and can come up big when you least expect it. He's had time off to rest and should have some velocity, not that it matters too much to his game. I slate him for 4 runs today and tell Votto to find that power stroke!

Votto being reduced to a singles hitter/walk machine is a major bummer and very disheartening.

OldRightHander
6-5 win today. Leake goes 5.

A least that type of game is quite possible if the offense shows up.

CySeymour
Then say they lose today and play tomorrow. If Latos gets into trouble, could Cueto do what Pedro did? Martinez was supposed to start a particular do or die playoff game and couldn't due to some issue. He instead came on in relief in the middle of a game and totally shut down the other team.

RedsMan3203
10-10-2012, 11:35 AM
Leake Career against SF.

5 games, 4 games started.

3-0 with a 4.18 ERA. Given up 38 hits in 28 innings pitched. 14 runs have scored (13 ER) and given up 6 home runs.

Other than his 2 outings against Philly, he has been really solid since start of August.

Mike had two HORRIBLE start against SF back on 2010... Lasted 1/3rd of an inning giving up 6 hits, 6 ER and 2 HR.

Other than that start against SF, the rest have been high hit total games, but good defense.

Tom Servo
10-10-2012, 11:37 AM
Leake is just about the last guy I want pitching in a pivotal game. Maybe in a 7 game series it's okay, but here it has bad idea written all over it.

crazybob60
10-10-2012, 11:39 AM
As they were saying on 700 last night, Leake is a pony right now. Imagine if he turns into the horse that Homer is right now for today's game. He will be the new savior of the city.

RedsManRick
10-10-2012, 11:41 AM

John Fay has been adamant on Twitter saying that MLB simply would not let that happen because it would be such an obvious end-around of the rules.

Edit: And now he just posted that the move had to be approved by an MLB doctor. Sounds like the end-around wasn't really an option.

DGullett35
10-10-2012, 11:41 AM
And Leake, who was left off the club's NLDS roster because of the condensed best-of-five format: "It would be cool if I do get a chance to help them out. It's what I've been waiting for. If not, then you kind of readjust."

Hes been waiting for this chance:D. I say hes the best option. We save our best(Latos) if we had to go to a game 5. I havent had much confidence in Mike really the whole year but I have a funny feeling about tonight. I think he pulls through and the offense does just enough.

RedsMan3203
10-10-2012, 11:42 AM
Reds are 4-1 against SF when Leake starts.....

CySeymour
10-10-2012, 11:44 AM
Fay just tweeted:

#Reds confirm it is Leake. Cueto off roster.

Reds/Flyers Fan
10-10-2012, 11:46 AM

It wouldn't be the first time the Reds DL'd somebody under suspicious circumstances.

Superdude
10-10-2012, 11:53 AM
You've gotta go into this game expecting Leake to give up three or four runs. We can compare Homer and Leake's stats all day long, but I just don't think Leake has that extra gear for games like this. Scraping out a run or two hoping to shut out the Giants with their back against the wall seems unlikely. Come out swingin' kids!

traderumor
10-10-2012, 12:04 PM
It wouldn't be the first time the Reds DL'd somebody under suspicious circumstances.Under a LOT less spotlight. Your ace gets injured on National TV and everyone knows it, then a perfectly healthy relief pitcher comes up injured? This org. is smarter than that.

westofyou
10-10-2012, 12:05 PM
It wouldn't be the first time the Reds DL'd somebody under suspicious circumstances.

Mike Andrews says hi

traderumor
10-10-2012, 12:07 PM
We won games Leake started, we lost games Leake started. All the hand wringing about the starter, Homer could have gotten shelled last night and it wouldn't have mattered.

Virginia Beach Reds
10-10-2012, 12:15 PM
This isn't the end of the world. Go get 'em Mike Leake!

cumberlandreds
10-10-2012, 12:36 PM
Mike Andrews says hi

That's exactly who I thought about. Not many on here will remember that incident.

Caveat Emperor
10-10-2012, 01:00 PM
The good news in all this, I suppose, is that when/if Leake gets shelled, they'll still have Latos to pitch G5 tomorrow.

I think all this really underlines is the need to get rid of Leake and upgrade the #5 spot in the offseason.

oregonred
10-10-2012, 01:05 PM
Under a LOT less spotlight. Your ace gets injured on National TV and everyone knows it, then a perfectly healthy relief pitcher comes up injured? This org. is smarter than that.

Is "W"TBS, channel 58 and 421 on the dial at 10PM on a Saturday night considered national TV ;)

_Sir_Charles_
10-10-2012, 01:15 PM
Mike's last start. 6 ip, 4 hits, 0 runs, 3 bb, 3 k's, 86 pitches in a no decision. I'll take the glass half full thankyouverymuch. Reds for the W today!!!

_Sir_Charles_
10-10-2012, 01:18 PM

I was thinking that too, but apparently you have to get a player examined by an MLB doctor before you can clear a playoff DL. So no phantom injuries.

traderumor
10-10-2012, 01:19 PM
And Leake pitched his best game of the year against the Giants.

_Sir_Charles_
10-10-2012, 01:23 PM
I realize that Mike is our #5 this year, but come on people...you're acting like he's a garbage heap pitcher! Leake is very capable of having a VERY good outing. Show a LITTLE positivity...sheesh!

Added offense too. Leake a great hitting pitcher, Navarro with considerably more pop than Hanigan and Frazier for Rolen adds even more pop. Unless Mike implodes, I like our chances today.

BuckeyeRed27
10-10-2012, 01:39 PM
Leake here is the right move IMO. We need 5 good innings out of him and he is more than capable of that.

Our offense should be able to give any of our pitchers enough runs off of Barry freaking Zito.

KittyDuran
10-10-2012, 01:39 PM
I realize that Mike is our #5 this year, but come on people...you're acting like he's a garbage heap pitcher! Leake is very capable of having a VERY good outing. Show a LITTLE positivity...sheesh!

Added offense too. Leake a great hitting pitcher, Navarro with considerably more pop than Hanigan and Frazier for Rolen adds even more pop. Unless Mike implodes, I like our chances today.I agree, until the 2nd half of the season many were calling Homer less than a #5 pitcher.

But Mike will be on an extremely short leash today - I think Dusty might just pull him if the Giants start hitting him hard (even outs)...

KittyDuran
10-10-2012, 01:41 PM
Leake here is the right move IMO. We need 5 good innings out of him and he is more than capable of that.

Our offense should be able to give any of our pitchers enough runs off of Barry freaking Zito.Actually I'm more worried about our offense (or lack of) than any of our pitching... :scared:

George Anderson
10-10-2012, 01:45 PM
The best thing that has happened is Dusty leaving Leake off the playoff roster. If Leake is any type of competitor and I have no reason to believe he is not, then he will use this opportunity to show Dusty he screwed up.

DGullett35
10-10-2012, 01:55 PM

Id rather have Leake not have the extra velocity. He seems to be at his best when hes throwing 88-91. His breaking stuff seems to be farther away velocity wise when he throws at that speed than when hes up around 92-93. As long as he keeps the ball in the ballpark hes fine. I honestly think he will have a big game. I also seen in an earlier post that Navarro was playing??? I hope so. He probably will jump start this offense after its showing last night. Seems like him or Paul have come up with big hits the last 2 months.

OldRightHander
10-10-2012, 02:09 PM
Two previous times this season I've attended back to back games. Every time the Reds lost the first and won the second. Enough said.

Blitz Dorsey
10-10-2012, 07:57 PM
Absolutely stupid to not pitch Latos in Game 4. I'm glad I said it before the game so I can't be accused of "hindsight is 20/20."

The idiot beat writers that cover the Reds kept saying "Latos has never pitched on 3 days rest." Uh, he threw 4 innings on Saturday. FOUR INNINGS FOUR DAYS AGO. Let's not pretend he was coming off some 100+ pitch outing on Saturday. He threw four innings. He could have and should have pitched today on three days rest. Instead, we have to go into a do-or-die Game 5 with the Giants holding ALL the momentum. This is a mini-version of the Yankees collapse to the Red Sox in 2004. Absolutely amazing. Mike Leake should have never started this game.

fearofpopvol1
10-10-2012, 07:59 PM
Absolutely stupid to not pitch Latos in Game 4. I'm glad I said it before the game so I can't be accused of "hindsight is 20/20."

The idiot beat writers that cover the Reds kept saying "Latos has never pitched on 3 days rest." Uh, he threw 4 innings on Saturday. FOUR INNINGS FOUR DAYS AGO. Let's not pretend he was coming off some 100+ pitch outing on Saturday. He threw four innings. He could have and should have pitched today on three days rest. Instead, we have to go into a do-or-die Game 5 with the Giants holding ALL the momentum. This is a mini-version of the Yankees collapse to the Red Sox in 2004. Absolutely amazing. Mike Leake should have never started this game.

I would rather have Latos on full(er) rest in game 5 than less rest in game 4 with Leake pitching game 5. The issue is that Dusty left Leake in too long and didn't go to his bullpen (namely LeCure) earlier.

reds44
10-10-2012, 08:22 PM
I still think Leake was the right move. The problem was not pulling him after 4 and putting Arredondo in.

alloverjr
10-10-2012, 08:26 PM
Instead of a new thread, I'll pose the ? here. Assuming the Reds do advance, do you run Leake out for game 4 in the NLCS? Are there really any other options? Cingrani? Not me. LeCure? Again, I wouldn't. Valdez? Maybe where he has the most value ;). Redmond? No. Chapman? Whoops, wrong year. Hoover? There are absolutely no alternatives to Mike Leake. And I do not like Leake, and because of his department store foolery, root against him to do well. So Mat Latos, pitch your rear off tomorrow and let us (me) complain about Mike Leake in game 4, a game I hope they win 11 - 10.

alloverjr
10-10-2012, 08:30 PM
I still think Leake was the right move. The problem was not pulling him after 4 and putting Arredondo in.

Certainly Arrendondo would never see the field unless the Reds were up 9-0, like Sunday. Otherwise, no confidence in that kid. Leake? Best Dusty could have done would have been to have LeCure start his warmups in the top of the 1st. When Leake goes down hill he has no ability to apply the brakes unlike some of the other pitchers with better stuff.