PDA

View Full Version : The Excellence of Homer Bailey

RedEye
10-09-2012, 09:35 PM
Amidst the kvetching about tonight's loss, I don't want us to forget how dominant Homer was tonight in the biggest start of his life. 7 IP, 1 H, 1 BB, 0 ER, 10 K. Ladies and gentlemen, combined with his last few starts of the season, I do believe the Reds may have done gone and found themselves an ace.

I know RMR and others have pointed to peripherals to claim that Homer's season was actually pretty similar to last year -- and I'm not contesting that. But the last few weeks, he has morphed into something I think we all were hoping he could be one day. Here's hoping that continues throughout October and into next season as well!

:beerme:

savafan
10-09-2012, 09:41 PM
I couldn't have been more wrong about Homer. I couldn't be more happy to be wrong.

Ghosts of 1990
10-09-2012, 10:26 PM
Guy is unreal and just entering his prime. He's turned the corner, this is not an anomaly. Reds have hit the jackpot with him as part of the staff the next few years.

fearofpopvol1
10-10-2012, 12:08 AM
His last 3 starts have been downright filthy.

20 IP, 1 ER, 26 K, 5 H, 2 BB

What's Bailey's future? Who knows. But he is absolutely dealing right now.

Captain Hook
10-10-2012, 12:17 AM
No other Reds starter has ever recorded as many SO in a single playoff game as Homer Bailey did tonight. Nice job Homer.

gilpdawg
10-10-2012, 01:57 AM
He was dominate. There's not a person who was in that ballpark tonight who didn't think he had a chance to throw another no no. Other than a Cole Hamels start where he struck out 15 Reds several years ago it's the best pitched game I've ever seen in person except for those two guys who reached in the third and they pushed the run across.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk HD

The Operator
10-10-2012, 03:26 AM
He was dominate. There's not a person who was in that ballpark tonight who didn't think he had a chance to throw another no no. Other than a Cole Hamels start where he struck out 15 Reds several years ago it's the best pitched game I've ever seen in person except for those two guys who reached in the third and they pushed the run across.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk HDI think I was at the Cole Hamels game you're referring to. Did David Ross hit into a triple play? That sticks out in my head.

And I agree on Homer. I'm sure he looked filthy on TV but getting to watch him at the park was just an awesome experience. He was dominant and the crowd was absolutely electric at times. It's a real shame the offense couldn't do anything for him.

lollipopcurve
10-10-2012, 07:09 AM
Nobody on the planet pitching better than Bailey right now.

cumberlandreds
10-10-2012, 07:20 AM
He's looked like an ace his last few starts. Going into 2013 you have to really feel good about the Reds top 3 starters,Cueto,Latos and Bailey. Throw in Arroyo who is almost always consistent and you have feel like the Reds will be a playoff team for the foreseeable future.

WildcatFan
10-10-2012, 09:18 AM

My goodness. That's a Halladay stretch right there.

RedsManRick
10-10-2012, 09:19 AM

I don't care about the hits and runs. 20 IP, 26 K, 2 BB. That is flat out domination.

Johnny Footstool
10-10-2012, 10:02 AM
I don't care about the hits and runs. 20 IP, 26 K, 2 BB. That is flat out domination.

Absolutely.

gilpdawg
10-10-2012, 10:26 AM
I think I was at the Cole Hamels game you're referring to. Did David Ross hit into a triple play? That sticks out in my head.

Yep. 5-4-3.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

DGullett35
10-10-2012, 11:34 AM
If Cueto is out for the next series we still look pretty formidable with Latos and Bailey satrting the first 2(I cant see us being swept 3 at home. We win tonight). What a time for one of our young pitchers to turn the corner. Homer deserves everything that has been coming to him here lately and I hope he can stay a Red for a long time. In the beginning of the season I said Homer and Heisey would be keys to this years team. I was right about one:), and I underestimated Luddy big time.

oregonred
10-10-2012, 11:42 AM
Arroyo will start game 1 or 2 depending on what happens in the NLDS.

Assuming righteousness prevails and the good guys advance;

Latos, Arroyo, Bailey, Leake-ster, Latos, Arroyo, Bailey or

Arroyo, Bailey, Latos, Leake-ster, Arroyo, Bailey and Latos

crazybob60
10-10-2012, 11:43 AM
I have been going to games most of my life. Homer was straight filthy last night and I am not sure if I have ever seen a more dominant performance in my life live. He had just about everything working. I mean, when he got that first strike on the batter, you almost knew that he was going to get that K. Even when the batter would foul off the pitch, you got the feeling that Homer was going to end the plate appearance himself with a K. Not like most other times pitching where if a batter did foul a pitch off, you would think that the batter at least got a part of it and had a chance, last night, it was like that is one strike closer to the K. At least that is the whole feeling that I got. Maybe the playoff atmosphere rubbed off on it as well, but despite the loss, it was a very, very, fun and exciting place to be.

HeatherC1212
10-10-2012, 11:59 AM
I have been going to games most of my life. Homer was straight filthy last night and I am not sure if I have ever seen a more dominant performance in my life live. He had just about everything working. I mean, when he got that first strike on the batter, you almost knew that he was going to get that K. Even when the batter would foul off the pitch, you got the feeling that Homer was going to end the plate appearance himself with a K. Not like most other times pitching where if a batter did foul a pitch off, you would think that the batter at least got a part of it and had a chance, last night, it was like that is one strike closer to the K. At least that is the whole feeling that I got. Maybe the playoff atmosphere rubbed off on it as well, but despite the loss, it was a very, very, fun and exciting place to be.

I agree. It was ELECTRIC in the ballpark and I think Homer fed off it during his seven brilliant innings last night. He was amazing and I was begging the Reds to get him another run so he could get the win. Too bad it didn't happen but man, just being in the crowd for that type of performance was SO encouraging and hopefully Leake does the same thing today. Good job Homer! :thumbup:

Really wish they had kept the free pizza & ice cream promotion going in the postseason...we would have won it in the eighth inning last night! :beerme: :thumbup: :p

Superdude
10-10-2012, 12:03 PM

I don't hardly remember anyone putting that fastball into play. Just late defensive swings the whole night. For whatever reason, he's never been able to do that over the course of a season, but knowing he's still got that special kind of arm strength in a big game like this is huge going forward.

The Operator
10-10-2012, 03:24 PM
I don't hardly remember anyone putting that fastball into play. Just late defensive swings the whole night. For whatever reason, he's never been able to do that over the course of a season, but knowing he's still got that special kind of arm strength in a big game like this is huge going forward.Yep, his fastball was incredible. They were behind it all night.

I just still can't believe they wasted that outing from Homer. So frustrating.

fearofpopvol1
10-10-2012, 04:15 PM

I think the runs and hits are even more impressive. That's 1 hit every 4 innings and 1 run every 20. Wowza.

HokieRed
10-10-2012, 07:44 PM
I assume we won't have to put up with any more ridiculous Bailey vs. Leake threads. Thank God for small favors.

Caveat Emperor
10-10-2012, 07:46 PM
I assume we won't have to put up with any more ridiculous Bailey vs. Leake threads. Thank God for small favors.

Hopefully we won't have to put up with Mike Leake any longer as well.

Tom Servo
10-10-2012, 08:01 PM
Latos, Arroyo, and Bailey were excellent. Yet here we stand on the brink of elimination.

Still, I do now have high hopes for Homer in 2013. Hopefully he will live up to them.

RedEye
10-10-2012, 11:15 PM
Latos, Arroyo, and Bailey were excellent. Yet here we stand on the brink of elimination.

Still, I do now have high hopes for Homer in 2013. Hopefully he will live up to them.

Win or lose tomorrow, I think Homer showed something during this series that is important - he is a big game pitcher. That's nothing to sniff at for a team with a young core of players that is looking at an upcoming window of contention.

OldRightHander
10-11-2012, 01:23 AM
If Homer has turned the corner, then you're looking at Cueto, Latos, and Bailey at the top of the rotation with Arroyo and whoever to round it out. I'd say the Reds would be the favorite in the division again with a staff like that.

_Sir_Charles_
10-11-2012, 09:47 AM
Let's not forget Chapman to the rotation and Leake isn't chopped liver. He's a young kid still learning his craft. And toss in a few nice ML arms and I think our rotation going forward is looking mighty fine.

I know many here will probably want to keep Chapman where he is, but I still want to see him made into a starter.

RedEye
10-11-2012, 12:01 PM
I know many here will probably want to keep Chapman where he is, but I still want to see him made into a starter.

100 times yes! 70 innings of dominance a year is great; 200 a year is even better. It's just math!