PDA

View Full Version : Talk me down from my ledge

Ghosts of 1990
10-10-2012, 11:46 AM
I have a bad feeling I can't shake. I have no one to talk to about it. I come here to lean on you, my fellow Reds comrades. I am sure you understand.

Can someone tell me it's going to be okay? I apologize for feeling this way, I can't seem to help it and I know we're "in the driver's seat". I am freaking out internally. The old "it's only baseball" thing my wife tells me doesn't really work for me. I'm sure many here get that part.

Help.

klw
10-10-2012, 11:49 AM
Animal House - All Is Well! - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDAmPIq29ro)

RedFanAlways1966
10-10-2012, 11:51 AM
You have been this way ever since the REDS made the playoffs. I get nervous too (during the games), but ENJOY the fact that your fav team is in the post-season. There are fans of 24 other teams who are not nervous liek you are right now. Why? Because their fav teams did not make the playoffs. Is that a better option for you? Of course not. ENJOY it, fellow REDS fan. I am old enough to have been one of those afore-mentioned fans for most of my adult life (w/ my beloved Bengals too). That sucks. Post-season baseball in Cincinnati is a good thing.

Jack Daniel's whiskey is good for this sort of a thing too! lol :)

oregonred
10-10-2012, 11:51 AM
You could be a Pirates, Royals, Astros or Cubs fan?

Reds/Flyers Fan
10-10-2012, 11:52 AM
There are no problems here ... Mike Leake and the offense will be just fine today:

Bagdad Bob: Iraqi Information Minister - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXl1GkWWGmA)

kaldaniels
10-10-2012, 11:55 AM
In terms of your Reds fandom, I say jump. :D

HeatherC1212
10-10-2012, 11:56 AM
Reds will clinch today for two reasons: One, I'm not there nor can I even watch half the game because I'm busy tonight (and I feel like a clinch curse this season...I've been to games twice this year when they could clinch something and they didn't do it either time :(), and two, I heard they're wearing the red jerseys today which is what they were wearing the last time they clinched anything. Forget the fact that they guys are going to be amped up after last night's game and ready to come out fighting for every single thing....me not being there and the red jerseys will clinch this game today. :p

BTW-I'm only half joking, LOL :laugh: :eek:

jojo
I have a bad feeling I can't shake. I have no one to talk to about it. I come here to lean on you, my fellow Reds comrades. I am sure you understand.

Can someone tell me it's going to be okay? I apologize for feeling this way, I can't seem to help it and I know we're "in the driver's seat". I am freaking out internally. The old "it's only baseball" thing my wife tells me doesn't really work for me. I'm sure many here get that part.

Help.

Dude. It's the second week of October and there are major baseball games being played at GABP. The Reds won 97 games during the regular season.

Step away from the duck....

Step away from the duck - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aD5oNvkhI-M)

bucksfan2
Get a dog. When you get stressed out take the dog for a walk.

The sun came out this morning did it not?

Tom Servo
10-10-2012, 12:00 PM
Leake starting today. No Cueto even if we win and go the NLCS.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-g7PMzvkDUZc/TiBRa1T3PoI/AAAAAAAACfU/RouBVgwM7R0/s1600/MLB.casket.Reds_.jpg

traderumor
10-10-2012, 12:03 PM
Change hobbies to something that you can handle emotionally?

MikeS21
10-10-2012, 12:10 PM
Seriously, if the Reds lose the next two games, it's been a great year ... and pitchers and catchers will report to Spring Training in February.

It's not that big of a deal.

westofyou
10-10-2012, 12:11 PM
Zumba lessons?

WrongVerb
10-10-2012, 12:12 PM
Um, this is only a game. It's not worth taking that seriously or investing that much emotionally. Just sit back and enjoy it.

CarolinaRedleg
10-10-2012, 12:13 PM
Whatever happens from here on out already beats the heck out of the 2010 postseason.

PuffyPig
10-10-2012, 12:15 PM
Since you've predicted they would lose ever since the season started, I vote you jump now. You know you want to.

jojo
10-10-2012, 12:16 PM
Leake starting today. No Cueto even if we win and go the NLCS.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-g7PMzvkDUZc/TiBRa1T3PoI/AAAAAAAACfU/RouBVgwM7R0/s1600/MLB.casket.Reds_.jpg

Does that come with an air freshener?

Ghosts of 1990
10-10-2012, 12:18 PM
Since you've predicted they would lose ever since the season started, I vote you jump now. You know you want to.

I did?

http://diamondhoggers.com/2012/03/28/10-bold-predictions-for-2012-the-cincinnati-reds-make-the-nlcs/

Really?

reds44
10-10-2012, 12:19 PM
I think you should jump and get it over with.

Reds Fanatic
10-10-2012, 12:20 PM
It will be fine.

One of the great things about this team is when everyone counts them out they rally together and come up with their best performance.

Votto goes out which would have killed most teams they rally and go on an incredible streak.

They lose their number 1 starter 8 pitches into a playoff game on the road and they rally together and pull out a great win.

Now Leake has to start while not ideal something tells me this team once again rallies together and pulls out a game where most don't give them a chance.

If they don't they always have Latos on full rest tomorrow. If it gets to that point I still like the Reds chances with Latos on full rest against the Giants.

wheels
10-10-2012, 12:20 PM
It's hilarious. The only time this guy posts is after a loss.:laugh:

OldRightHander
10-10-2012, 12:23 PM
I still think they have what it takes to win one of the next two and 4 in the NLCS even without Cueto. Then if Johnny is able to make it back for the big show, I like their chances there too. There's just something about this team.

UKFlounder
10-10-2012, 12:24 PM
And 2011, 2009, 2008, 2007, 2006, 2005, 2004....

Whatever happens from here on out already beats the heck out of the 2010 postseason.

cincrazy
10-10-2012, 12:29 PM
Cueto is out. This team will step up and cover him until he's back. They've done it all year. They're not going to stop now. Next man up. Mike Leake will meet the occasion today. Because that's what this team does. And if he doesn't, Latos will own them in game 5.

Kc61
10-10-2012, 12:32 PM
1. Teams don't lose three in a row at home very often. Probability is Reds will win one more game to win the series.

2. If they lose, we can always take the position that Reds lost their best starting pitcher and did well under these circumstances.

3. If they lose, we will all have more free time over the next two-three weeks.

Go Reds.

Jefferson24
10-10-2012, 12:42 PM
1. Teams don't lose three in a row at home very often. Probability is Reds will win one more game to win the series.

2. If they lose, we can always take the position that Reds lost their best starting pitcher and did well under these circumstances.

3. If they lose, we will all have more free time over the next two-three weeks.

Go Reds.

The thought of no more Reds baseball feels kinda of like my dog has run away but he'll be sure to be back sometime next spring. My life is less complete in the off season.

westofyou
10-10-2012, 12:45 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-52IGJ6LPlks/T4IO6W1MZqI/AAAAAAAAvcM/oUcMe-POyPM/s1600/1stum+drama+queens.jpg

klw
10-10-2012, 12:47 PM
I wish you would step back from that ledge...
Jumper-Third Eye Blind Lyrics - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdgCajndgNw&feature=related)

klw
10-10-2012, 12:50 PM
Go from sad to happy with a little Van Der Memes.
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lefsy2U3q81qf8yek.gif

10-10-2012, 12:51 PM
Reds won 97 games, won the division and took the first two playoff games on the road after losing their Cy Young candidate starting pitcher. How can a Reds fan not be happy right now with this season, no matter what happens after this?

Btw, I could wrong, but if I remember correctly, I believe the BRM also lost a playoff game at least once ;)

klw
10-10-2012, 12:51 PM
Reds won 97 games, won the division and took the first two playoff games on the road after losing their Cy Young candidate starting pitcher. How can a Reds fan not be happy right now with this season, no matter what happens after this?

Btw, I could wrong, but if I remember correctly, I believe the BRM also lost a playoff game at least once ;)

Heck they lost that Series to the Sox on Fisk's homer. We were discussing that on here just the other day.

blumj
10-10-2012, 12:53 PM
Remember that the Reds themselves would almost certainly make lots of jokes at your expense if they read this.

traderumor
10-10-2012, 12:56 PM
The funny thing about the nervousness of a fan is that it usually involves not wanting to be embarrassed because they cheer for a team that chokes.

cumberlandreds
10-10-2012, 12:56 PM
I would have loved to have seen some posters reactions after the Reds lost game 6 of the 1975 World Series. I'm sure there would have been a few suicides after that game.

I usually think this when I start getting nervous for a sports event: There are about a billion or so people in China who don't really give a flip who wins this game.

reds44
10-10-2012, 12:57 PM
I would have loved to have seen some posters reactions after the Reds lost game 6 of the 1975 World Series. I'm sure there would have been a few suicides after that game.

I usually think this when I start getting nervous for a sports event: There are about a billion or so people in China who don't really give a flip who wins this game.
I'm glad that works for you. Not for me, though.

westofyou
10-10-2012, 12:58 PM

That's a Sparky Anderson quote... problem is they're fretting over a ping pong game themselves

George Anderson
10-10-2012, 12:58 PM
Remember that the Reds themselves would almost certainly make lots of jokes at your expense if they read this.

Players, coaches, umpires and anyone directly associated with the game from my experiences regard the common fan as a complete moron.

westofyou
10-10-2012, 12:59 PM
Players, coaches, umpires and anyone directly associated with the game from my experiences regard the common fan as a complete moron.

That's why there's a term called "Baseball Man"

cumberlandreds
10-10-2012, 01:00 PM
That's a Sparky Anderson quote... problem is they're fretting over a ping pong game themselves

That must have been where I got that from. I don't know why but that always pops into my mind when a favorite team of mine is in a big game.

Caveat Emperor
10-10-2012, 01:01 PM
Talk you down from the ledge?

Leake is thoroughly mediocre, but Latos still goes on full rest tomorrow.

oregonred
10-10-2012, 01:02 PM

Not so fast, Mao was a huge RED supporter. Used to line Peking with Red Banners every May 1st for the opening day parade (the missiles and hundreds of thousands of troops marching in perfect formation only added to the event).

George Anderson
10-10-2012, 01:02 PM
That's why there's a term called "Baseball Man"

Oh yes, that phrase is used often.

"He is a good baseball guy" or "He knows the game".

Fans for the most part are nothing more than eye candy or locker room humor for comments they make about the game.

traderumor
10-10-2012, 01:07 PM
I knew today would be a tough day. We all know that MLB games are almost always too close to call and very unpredictable and that there is a real possibility that we could end up in the history books under "Historic chokes in a five game series." There are probably some who are just as nervous as Ghosts, but have control of their anxiety to the extent that they won't post something like this knowing they will be roasted. I'm admittedly anxious as a fan, woke up thinking about this game, even stressed a little about the predicament in the middle of the night.

But that is a part of being a fan of a team that is good enough to even get the challenge and stress of postseason baseball. It is still fun, I know I'm being silly, but I'll still have that pit in my stomach until they clinch. If they lose three in a row, well, it will be disappointing, just like last night.

I feel so cleansed ;)

Always Red
10-10-2012, 01:11 PM
Well, I'd rather have Leake pitching for me than Zito.

It's all relative.

OldRightHander
10-10-2012, 01:22 PM
Here is a very unscientific reason they will win the game. When the Dodgers came into town and the Reds had a magic number of 2 going into the Friday game, I went that night so I could see them clinch and they lost a tight well pitched game in extras. I decided then that I was going to go back the next night to see them clinch and they did.

Well, I was there last night and decided that since I missed the series clinching game that I would be back at the park today. Take what you will from that. I'm grasping right now, but that seems like a pretty obvious parallel to me.

_Sir_Charles_
10-10-2012, 01:29 PM

Tom, that's...ummm....disturbing. I'm stunned they actually make those. :confused:

AtomicDumpling
10-10-2012, 01:29 PM
I believe the Reds have a 50/50 chance of winning the game today. If they lose today the Reds have a 50/50 chance of winning tomorrow. Probability math says they have a 75% chance of winning this series. I would rather be a Reds fan than a Giants fan right now for sure.

OldRightHander
10-10-2012, 01:31 PM
Tom, that's...ummm....disturbing. I'm stunned they actually make those. :confused:

But if you knew you were going to kick the bucket soon, can you say you wouldn't be at least a little bit tempted?

10-10-2012, 01:32 PM
Here is a very unscientific reason they will win the game. When the Dodgers came into town and the Reds had a magic number of 2 going into the Friday game, I went that night so I could see them clinch and they lost a tight well pitched game in extras. I decided then that I was going to go back the next night to see them clinch and they did.

Well, I was there last night and decided that since I missed the series clinching game that I would be back at the park today. Take what you will from that. I'm grasping right now, but that seems like a pretty obvious parallel to me.

I'm convinced. :thumbup:

11larkin11
10-10-2012, 01:35 PM
I should be the one on the ledge. With the NHL probably not having a season, once the Reds are done I'm stuck with just the Browns.

corkedbat
10-10-2012, 01:36 PM
I should be the one on the ledge. With the NHL probably not having a season, once the Reds are done I'm stuck with just the Browns.

Being a Browns fan is its own punishment. :evil:

_Sir_Charles_
10-10-2012, 01:37 PM
But if you knew you were going to kick the bucket soon, can you say you wouldn't be at least a little bit tempted?

Yeah, I can say that.

Now this however....

http://www.inthelighturns.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/350x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/r/e/reds.jpg

10-10-2012, 01:37 PM

They still play Hockey? ;)

Ghosts of 1990
10-10-2012, 01:38 PM

I really hope the NHL gets it together and has a season... I think they will. I was just starting to get interested in that league (due to also being a Browns fan) :thumbdown:

westofyou
10-10-2012, 01:44 PM

I don't even watch football, I'm gonna have a bad winter

AtomicDumpling
10-10-2012, 01:54 PM

What is this "hockey" you speak of? Isn't that where Canadians slide around on ice in a padded clown suit? People actually care about that? :lol:

I would rather watch soccer than hockey... and I would rather watch Dancing with the Stars than soccer... and I would rather watch Sumo wrestling than Dancing with the Stars... and I would rather watch bowling than Sumo wrestling.

11larkin11
10-10-2012, 01:56 PM

In Russia.

OldRightHander
10-10-2012, 02:01 PM
I don't even watch football, I'm gonna have a bad winter

Still got EPL. I watch just about as much of that as I do hockey, but I'd rather have both to do me until baseball starts back up.

klw
10-10-2012, 02:09 PM

That of course means that there are about 347 million people in China really invested in today's game. Who knew?

Redsfaithful
10-10-2012, 02:13 PM
The funny thing about the nervousness of a fan is that it usually involves not wanting to be embarrassed because they cheer for a team that chokes.

There's truth to this, but for me right now it's because I'm not ready for it all to be over for another year.

WMR
10-10-2012, 02:14 PM
Was it over when the German's bombed Pearl Harbor?

klw
10-10-2012, 02:15 PM
Do you really wannna jump??????
Lethal Weapon - Jump Scene - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOP6uMTYaM8)

westofyou
10-10-2012, 02:21 PM
Still got EPL. I watch just about as much of that as I do hockey, but I'd rather have both to do me until baseball starts back up.

That's weekend mostly though, what will I do at night?

OldRightHander
10-10-2012, 02:22 PM

I DVR tons of games and watch them through the week.

westofyou
10-10-2012, 02:24 PM
I DVR tons of games and watch them through the week.

True.. I do that and watch them on the stationary (rains here ya know)

But I'll have to get me some of that Sumo Rassling sounds thrilling!

Rojo
10-10-2012, 02:25 PM
In Russia.

In Russia hockey plays you

redssince75
10-10-2012, 02:34 PM
Go from sad to happy with a little Van Der Memes.
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lefsy2U3q81qf8yek.gif

Van Der Memes?

Vander Meer
Van Der Beek

I can see some synergy........

blumj
10-10-2012, 02:58 PM

I do Food Network, at least when Chopped is on, that's as good a competition as most sports events. I got nothing for you when Cupcake Wars is on, though, nothing against cupcakes, but I find them useless if I can't eat them.

wheels
10-10-2012, 03:00 PM
Blum...is that a pit bull mix in your avatar? I've always wondered about that.

blumj
10-10-2012, 03:23 PM
Blum...is that a pit bull mix in your avatar? I've always wondered about that.
Maybe, he was a shelter dog brought from Puerto Rico, we've seen pictures of his mother and littermates and they all look like something different.

wheels
10-10-2012, 03:42 PM
Pretty pup, nonetheless.

fearofpopvol1
10-10-2012, 04:27 PM
In addition to wanting to see the Reds advance and not want to wait another year, the fact that no team in the NL has ever gone up 2 games in a 5 games series and lost the series, makes the idea of making history on the wrong side rather sad.

RedFanAlways1966
10-10-2012, 04:36 PM
In addition to wanting to see the Reds advance and not want to wait another year, the fact that no team in the NL has ever gone up 2 games in a 5 games series and lost the series, makes the idea of making history on the wrong side rather sad.

Makes me wonder if any NL team has ever won a playoff game with only 1 hit in the first 9 innings?

Recent times! before one our historians throws out 1947 and Cookie Lavagetto at me, lol. ;)

Wonderful Monds
10-10-2012, 04:45 PM
Really needed that. Great play by Navarro.

Wonderful Monds
10-10-2012, 04:45 PM
Really needed that. Great play by Navarro.

Oops lol

RedFanAlways1966
10-10-2012, 04:51 PM
Oops lol

Positive comments (throwing out a baserunner) might get Ghost of 1990 off the ledge! :thumbup:

Caveat Emperor
10-10-2012, 05:00 PM

It'd be kinda fitting. No hit in 2010. Choke away a 2-0 lead in 2012.

Kc61
10-10-2012, 05:04 PM

Nobody's choking. Where's the choke?

Not hitting much? Did you watch September? They often don't hit much.

Leake's pitching? He's an emergency starter.

Rolen's error? Nobody's going to accuse Scott Rolen of choking, he's played in a million big games.

Reds have a home run offense. They aren't consistent hitters, except for Votto who is injured this year. So now they aren't scoring and they are falling behind. They can rectify it with a couple of long balls.

Go Reds.

(Not bad for my 10,000th post.)

westofyou
10-10-2012, 05:05 PM

You need an umbrella sad sack

fearofpopvol1
10-10-2012, 05:07 PM
Nobody's choking. Where's the choke?

Not hitting much? Did you watch September? They often don't hit much.

Leake's pitching? He's an emergency starter.

Rolen's error? Nobody's going to accuse Scott Rolen of choking, he's played in a million big games.

Reds have a home run offense. They aren't consistent hitters, except for Votto who is injured this year. So now they aren't scoring and they are falling behind. They can rectify it with a couple of long balls.

Go Reds.

(Not bad for my 10,000th post.)

Sorry, but it would be a choke job to go up 2-0 and lose the series 3-2. It's never happened before in the NL!

Now, I'm not rooting for that and I'm not declaring the series over. I still have some faith, but it would be sad and a choke job if it were to come to fruition.

Caveat Emperor
10-10-2012, 05:07 PM
You need an umbrella sad sack

Come on, I'm only happy when it rains.

westofyou
10-10-2012, 05:09 PM
Come on, I'm only happy when it rains.
I think you're paranoid...

Kc61
10-10-2012, 05:13 PM
Sorry, but it would be a choke job to go up 2-0 and lose the series 3-2. It's never happened before in the NL!

Now, I'm not rooting for that and I'm not declaring the series over. I still have some faith, but it would be sad and a choke job if it were to come to fruition.

A choke is when a team falls apart and doesn't play well. I don't see that here. I see some tight, tough ballgames and a lack of hitting rallies that is a season long problem.

Caveat Emperor
10-10-2012, 05:14 PM
I think you're paranoid...

Nah, just a stupid girl.

Patrick Bateman
10-10-2012, 05:20 PM
Your guys' jokes are absolute garbage.

fearofpopvol1
10-10-2012, 05:22 PM
A choke is when a team falls apart and doesn't play well. I don't see that here. I see some tight, tough ballgames and a lack of hitting rallies that is a season long problem.

Perhaps our definitions are different then. Anytime you win 2 games on the road and then lose 3 games at home to lose the series, that's a choke to me.

I'm praying it doesn't happen though and that the Reds pull this out.

PuffyPig
10-10-2012, 05:55 PM
Perhaps our definitions are different then. Anytime you win 2 games on the road and then lose 3 games at home to lose the series, that's a choke to me.

Your defintion of choke job is teams losing.

It's different than everyone else's.

fearofpopvol1
10-10-2012, 06:00 PM
Your defintion of choke job is teams losing.

It's different than everyone else's.

Everyone? Glad to know you're the spokesman for everyone.

Caveat Emperor
10-10-2012, 06:02 PM
To answer the OP's question -- you're good to jump whenever now.

Patrick Bateman
10-10-2012, 06:11 PM

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6707866

It's not the act of losing.

It's performing worse than normal as a direct result of pressure.

The Reds lose 3 in a row sometimes. In fact, they are more likely to do so against another playoff calibre team.

That doesn't mean they necessarily choke. As a team can lose 3 games very easily by performing at an equal level of their norm.

10-10-2012, 06:34 PM

The Reds lose 3 in a row sometimes. In fact, they are more likely to do so against another playoff calibre team.

That doesn't mean they necessarily choke. As a team can lose 3 games very easily by performing at an equal level of their norm.

Everything is different in the playoffs. Losing three in a row after being up 2-0 in a 5 game series is choking when done in the playoffs. Not being able to win one game out of three at home is choking. If the Reds lose this series, they choked, no ifs, ands or buts about it.

Vottomatic
10-10-2012, 06:40 PM
Everything is different in the playoffs. Losing three in a row after being up 2-0 in a 5 game series is choking when done in the playoffs. Not being able to win one game out of three at home is choking. If the Reds lose this series, they choked, no ifs, ands or buts about it.

Agree. And I've got a bad feeling about it now. Arredondo currently getting killed.

Choke city is upon us.

Missed their chance last night with the cold bats.

Walt better be on the phone upgrading the offensive lineup this off season. 3 great pitching starts, 1 of them wasted.

WMR
10-10-2012, 06:41 PM
Please push Duhsty off the ledge before you jump. ;)

fearofpopvol1
10-10-2012, 06:47 PM

I understand the other side, but to me, it's a choke because it's never happened before in a 5 game series. Home field is supposed to be an advantage and the Reds won 2 on the road to go up in the series and now they are in serious jeopardy of getting swept at home in the playoffs. It's a choke job IMO and apparently, a lot of other Reds fans feel similarly. Look no further than the game thread.

PuffyPig
10-10-2012, 06:47 PM

When it comes to posting, there are many chokers on this board.

When the Reds are doing fine, they are clear, rational posters.

As soon as the Reds get into even a bit of trouble (starting last night), they freeze up and start posting utter garbage.

That's the defintion of choking.

Tom Servo
10-10-2012, 06:48 PM
All I want is an NLCS appearance. They could get swept in 4 games. Just show some ***damn improvement in the last 2 years with all of our freaking talent.

Brutus
10-10-2012, 06:48 PM
I must be crazy, but I thought the Reds were still playing tomorrow with a chance to win the series and arguably their most talented pitcher on the mound at home. But it seems to me in reading Redszone, they've already lost the series since everyone is talking about how Dusty and the Reds have choked.

PuffyPig
10-10-2012, 06:49 PM
I understand the other side, but to me, it's a choke because it's never happened before in a 5 game series. Home field is supposed to be an advantage and the Reds won 2 on the road to go up in the series and now they are in serious jeopardy of getting swept at home in the playoffs. It's a choke job IMO and apparently, a lot of other Reds fans feel similarly. Look no further than the game thread.

Can you really be in serious trouble of losing a game that hasn't even started yet?

That's a choke post right there I would say.

reds44
10-10-2012, 06:51 PM
Okay I'm jumping now.

fearofpopvol1
10-10-2012, 06:52 PM
Can you really be in serious trouble of losing a game that hasn't even started yet?

That's a choke post right there I would say.

Can there be those that choke for not reading posts? Or for taking posts out of context? Sounds like a choker to me.

From earlier in the thread, by me...

fearofpopvol1
10-10-2012, 06:58 PM
When it comes to posting, there are many chokers on this board.

When the Reds are doing fine, they are clear, rational posters.

As soon as the Reds get into even a bit of trouble (starting last night), they freeze up and start posting utter garbage.

That's the defintion of choking.

To me, it sounds like you're trying to remove the impossible emotional element of the game. 2010 was a disappointment with the way the playoffs played out and 1995 was going on 2 decades ago and 1990 was . It seems like you're confusing disappointment with people fearing the Reds will lose the series. No true Reds fan wants the Reds to lose their series.

People were rightly concerned last night, especially with the possibility of Leake pitching. Turns out those people were right. The momentum seemingly shifted last night and now the Reds are going to be in the same spot as the Giants tomorrow. Doesn't mean that the Reds will lose and it certainly doesn't mean those people won't be rooting for the Reds either.

PuffyPig
10-10-2012, 07:00 PM
Can there be those that choke for not reading posts? Or for taking posts out of context? Sounds like a choker to me.

From earlier in the thread, by me...

I believe you are quoting an earlier post. I one I quoted from, which you ignored, is when you said something to the effect that "the Reds are in serious jeopardy of being swept at home". Hard to take that out of contect when you are directly saying that the Reds are in serious jeopardy of losing a game that they haven't even started yet. If you are going to defend yourself, at least defend the post at hand.

corkedbat
10-10-2012, 07:02 PM
My confidence in reaching the NCLS was sky high until I work up and saw Leake was the starting pitcher today and it fell through the floor (not a Leake fan). Trying to stay positive and still loving Latos going tomorrow, but I hate having to beat Matt Cain twice in a row.

Plus Plus
10-10-2012, 07:04 PM
Okay I'm jumping now.

cubs44

:)

fearofpopvol1
10-10-2012, 07:06 PM
I believe you are quoting an earlier post. I one I quoted from, which you ignored, is when you said something to the effect that "the Reds are in serious jeopardy of being swept at home". Hard to take that out of contect when you are directly saying that the Reds are in serious jeopardy of losing a game that they haven't even started yet. If you are going to defend yourself, at least defend the post at hand.

I never claimed the Reds were going to lose, I said they were in jeopardy of losing the series and getting swept at home. That's true. They lost the first 2. They've already lost the majority of their home games in this series.

I've already stated I hope that doesn't happen. Sounds like to me that you read too much into my post(s) without putting into context.

PuffyPig
10-10-2012, 07:07 PM
To me, it sounds like you're trying to remove the impossible emotional element of the game. 2010 was a disappointment with the way the playoffs played out and 1995 was going on 2 decades ago and 1990 was . It seems like you're confusing disappointment with people fearing the Reds will lose the series. No true Reds fan wants the Reds to lose their series.

People were rightly concerned last night, especially with the possibility of Leake pitching. Turns out those people were right. The momentum seemingly shifted last night and now the Reds are going to be in the same spot as the Giants tomorrow. Doesn't mean that the Reds will lose and it certainly doesn't mean those people won't be rooting for the Reds either.

You've made my point for me. Those posters are choking under pressure.

I realize most of them are still hoping the Reds will win. But when you post that it's basically a forgone conclusion that the Reds will lose a game that they are favoured to win, due to the disappointment of fans being worried of them losing, they are losing objectivity in the face of adversity. That's what choking is all about. Falling apart in the face of adversity. Letting their emotions run rampant with the objective truth.

I'm disappointed. I fear them losing. But I know they have a better chance of winning tomorrow because they are a better team than the Giants, are at home, and have an excellent pitcher going for them. I'm still objective in the face of adversity. Vegas will still have them as the favorite.

Always Red
10-10-2012, 07:07 PM
If RZ were around in the early 70's, this place would have completely melted down.

The Big Red Machine, of legend, "choked" in 1970, 1972, 1973, and didn't even show up (like the 2011 Reds) in 1971 or 1974.

1975 was a do or die year. Sparky had to win it all that year, or probably lose his job. The Reds were a constant disappointment throughout those years, with all of the all stars and great regular season records. They "choked", seemingly every single year.

This is all part of the learning process for these guys, and the Reds have a great young nucleus intact, almost, but maybe not as good as those 70's teams.

Now, these guys may win this series, the NL championship, and go on to win the WS. Or, they may not. But I have faith that this is all building towards the future, and this team will continue to fill holes and get better.

This society has changed since the early 70's. it's all about "now", and "what have you done lately" and the latest and greatest sound bite. But real life isn't like that. The older posters will get this. This is a better team than 2010 and the disappointment of 2011. And next year these guys will have one more year of experience. The near future is very, very bright. And maybe the present is, too.

Caveat Emperor
10-10-2012, 07:08 PM
The game has changed since the 70s -- it has to be about "now" because you usually can't afford to pay great players indefinitely or count on continued health and great depth every year.

Ghosts of 1990
10-10-2012, 07:10 PM
Vegas will still have them as the favorite.

As of right now, dead even odds.

http://www.vegasinsider.com/mlb/odds/las-vegas/

Reds -103
Giants -103

Not necessarily.

PuffyPig
10-10-2012, 07:10 PM
I never claimed the Reds were going to lose, I said they were in jeopardy of losing the series and getting swept at home. That's true. They lost the first 2. They've already lost the majority of their home games in this series.

I've already stated I hope that doesn't happen. Sounds like to me that you read too much into my post(s) without putting into context.

You are misquoting your post, presumably to change the meaning.

"In jeopardy of losing the series" means they are forced to play a game 5, which they might lose.

"In serious jeopardy of losing losing the series" means they have a real good chance of losing the last game.

That's a world of difference.

fearofpopvol1
10-10-2012, 07:11 PM

I realize most of them are still hoping the Reds will win. But when you post that it's basically a forgone conclusion that the Reds will lose a game that they are favoured to win, due to the disappointment of fans being worried of them losing, they are losing objectivity in the face of adversity. That's what choking is all about. Falling apart in the face of adversity. Letting their emotions run rampant with the objective truth.

I'm disappointed. I fear them losing. But I know they have a better chance of winning tomorrow because they are a better team than the Giants, are at home, and have an excellent pitcher going for them. I'm still objective in the face of adversity. Vegas will still have them as the favorite.

It's natural. It's human. You're in the moment.

Ever yelled at someone or said something inappropriate and then 30-60 minutes later realized that and regretted it? Chances are, you probably did so in the moment and without thinking about it.

We live in an instant world and that's part of the blessing and the curse of the information highway. We don't think before speaking. There's no need to belittle it. You don't have to like it, but it is what it is.

Always Red
10-10-2012, 07:14 PM
The game has changed since the 70s -- it has to be about "now" because you usually can't afford to pay great players indefinitely or count on continued health and great depth every year.

Yes, but there is nothing new under the sun.

The Reds have locked up their best players for years.

fearofpopvol1
10-10-2012, 07:16 PM
You are misquoting your post, presumably to change the meaning.

"In jeopardy of losing the series" means they are forced to play a game 5, which they might lose.

"In serious jeopardy of losing losing the series" means they have a real good chance of losing the last game.

That's a world of difference.

I think what's happened is that you've misinterpreted my posts, based on dialogue I had with another poster that started before the post you quoted. Have you read all of the posts I made in this thread? It doesn't seem like it.

I said it would be a choke job if the Reds get swept at home and lost the series. That's my opinion. I never claimed it was a foregone conclusion that they were getting swept at home, but rather, that they were in serious jeopardy of it happening. That's true. They've already lost 2 out of 3 games against them at GAB.

I personally feel more positive about tomorrow's game than I did the one today and am hoping for the best.

PuffyPig
10-10-2012, 07:18 PM
It's natural. It's human. You're in the moment.

Ever yelled at someone or said something inappropriate and then 30-60 minutes later realized that and regretted it? Chances are, you probably did so in the moment and without thinking about it.

We live in an instant world and that's part of the blessing and the curse of the information highway. We don't think before speaking. There's no need to belittle it. You don't have to like it, but it is what it is.

It is certainly not my intention to belittle anyone, and I apologize if it's coming across like that.

fearofpopvol1
10-10-2012, 07:20 PM
It is certainly not my intention to belittle anyone, and I apologize if it's coming across like that.

I didn't think you were belittling specific people, but rather, just the idea of people thinking before speaking. My point is that it's natural because of the internet and the way it works.

nate
10-10-2012, 09:09 PM
Those posters are choking under pressure.

This line deserves a

High five!

Vottomatic
10-10-2012, 09:29 PM
Hey man, there's golf and to be played and tennis to be served up. More important things than a friggin' baseball game. :D

westofyou
10-10-2012, 09:39 PM
If RZ were around in the early 70's, this place would have completely melted down.

The Big Red Machine, of legend, "choked" in 1970, 1972, 1973, and didn't even show up (like the 2011 Reds) in 1971 or 1974.

1975 was a do or die year. Sparky had to win it all that year, or probably lose his job. The Reds were a constant disappointment throughout those years, with all of the all stars and great regular season records. They "choked", seemingly every single year.

This is all part of the learning process for these guys, and the Reds have a great young nucleus intact, almost, but maybe not as good as those 70's teams.

Now, these guys may win this series, the NL championship, and go on to win the WS. Or, they may not. But I have faith that this is all building towards the future, and this team will continue to fill holes and get better.

This society has changed since the early 70's. it's all about "now", and "what have you done lately" and the latest and greatest sound bite. But real life isn't like that. The older posters will get this. This is a better team than 2010 and the disappointment of 2011. And next year these guys will have one more year of experience. The near future is very, very bright. And maybe the present is, too.

I like being old for many reasons, having the ability to reason with that "little voice" has gotten easier as the years go by, peace of mind is greater than anything when it comes to fandom

Even if the reds lose I'll treasure this season, because it's the season that defines a team and not the post season

Maybe the press sees it different, maybe the culture of me demands chest thumping gorilla moments

But I don't, it's been a magical season so far and whatever happens tomorrow might sting, but it can't change that

At least to me, the rest of you deal with your own little voice

Patrick Bateman
10-10-2012, 10:02 PM
I like being old for many reasons, having the ability to reason with that "little voice" has gotten easier as the years go by, peace of mind is greater than anything when it comes to fandom

Even if the reds lose I'll treasure this season, because it's the season that defines a team and not the post season

Maybe the press sees it different, maybe the culture of me demands chest thumping gorilla moments

But I don't, it's been a magical season so far and whatever happens tomorrow might sting, but it can't change that

Great post and sums up my thoughts too.

I can say that we haven't found out anything about the Reds we didn't already know. We knew they could lose 2 games in a row to San Fran. We knew there was at best a 15% chance of winning the WS.

In the end, being tied 2 to 2, with home field advantage doesn't seem so bad in a vacuum. If we'd won the last 2 games, everybody here would be in a frenzy after declaring the season over after the first 2 losses.

If the Reds win tommorow, it will be the best game of my life as a Reds fan (I'm 24), and for most others, they have to look back to 1990. The WS is not everything. We need to enjoy the wins we do get.

As a Blackhawk fan, I used to live and die with every playoff game because I had never experienced anything like the playoffs before (Hawks, Reds, Bengals never had done anything). When they won the SC it was great, but the last 2 seasons have given me humility. No team is indestructable. They all lose, and it's never fun. But it's never, ever over (perhaps as the Giants are proving right now), and the mere fact that all of our emotions are this riled up is fun. When the Hawks won the SC, there were very few dramatic moments because it was too easy. It was great in the end, but being able to face these emotional games is a different kind of fun. If winning was so easy, it would not be nearly the feeling that it is.

Maybe we win, and if so, it's going to be a really fun day. If we lose, well, we will have to wait another time for that moment, as they just simply don't come around very often.

Caveat Emperor
10-10-2012, 10:20 PM
I

Yet, there's a reason we hang banners for world series titles and not great regular seasons.

Championships matter.

Patrick Bateman
10-10-2012, 10:26 PM
Yet, there's a reason we hang banners for world series titles and not great regular seasons.

Championships matter.

That's a completely different point.

Regular season defines the calibre of the team.

But playoffs determines the winner of the year round tournament, which is the dramatic part. Doesn't change who the best team is, or erase a lot of great memories.

Of course the playoffs matter, but at the same time, it comes down to who performs in a small sample. It's random. It's compltely crazy to try evaluate why anything happens at this point because there are so many random factors at play.

westofyou
10-10-2012, 10:29 PM

Championships matter.

Doesn't make enjoying the game/team/franchise any less IMO, otherwise Cubs fans wouldn't exist

Vottomatic
10-10-2012, 10:37 PM

Great post. And I remember those teams. May, Tolan, etc. Couldn't win it all. Great players who just couldn't finish it off.

Fans need to remember that this team is built to contend for years. I know it's a long season, but there are alot of good teams in the playoffs. The Reds aren't entitled to win it because of any win/loss record or stats they've racked up in the season. It's now or never. Strange things can happen in the postseason. It's anybody's game.

But like the early 70's, this team may need a few more tweeks to it before they're ready to take home the gold.

OldRightHander
10-10-2012, 11:07 PM
You know, if they pull off a couple championships in this decade and have some solid seasons, we'll look back on this time in a couple decades like we look back on the 70s now. Even now, I can look back on some pretty bad seasons and have some good memories from games I was at where special things happened. The passage of time does have a way of bringing to the forefront the best times and giving you a smile when you remember them.

AtomicDumpling
10-11-2012, 12:36 AM

Championships matter.

The tradition of hanging those banners began when you actually had to be the best team to win one. Nowadays you can get blown away in your own division and still win a "championship".

AtomicDumpling
10-11-2012, 12:39 AM
That's a completely different point.

Regular season defines the calibre of the team.

But playoffs determines the winner of the year round tournament, which is the dramatic part. Doesn't change who the best team is, or erase a lot of great memories.

Of course the playoffs matter, but at the same time, it comes down to who performs in a small sample. It's random. It's compltely crazy to try evaluate why anything happens at this point because there are so many random factors at play.

Agreed. You find out how good a team really is in the regular season. The playoffs are nothing more than a roll of the dice. No matter how this post-season tournament winds up one thing is for certain: if they played it all over again the results would be different. The playoffs are full of drama and excitement but they don't really prove anything at all.

VR
10-11-2012, 12:48 AM
I love this team. If they lose Thursday, I'll be disappointed, but still love them.

They are going to game five, not having their ACE for two games.

If they win Thursday (which I think they will), it should be marked down as a major upset.

Razor Shines
10-11-2012, 12:59 AM
I were allowed to fart on Mike Leake right now (you know, a good 'ole good one) I would.

Would it make me feel any better you ask? Of course. How could it not? Why would you ask such a ridiculous question? Keep your head in the game.

Seth Smith, that was a clutch post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Always Red
10-11-2012, 06:47 AM

Maybe it's the wisdom of years, though every year that little voice reminds me that I am less wise than I thought I was... :eek:

I am far more attracted to the culture, the stories, the journey, the long slog through the season. I admire the fan loyalty of long suffering teams who never win, yet know everything about the teams and players and the history of their franchise. And they never give up hope. Believe it or not, there are even Cubs fans like this, who are not inebriated all the time, and I really admire their fandom.

It's why baseball is so attractive to me; it's every day, nitty gritty, just like life. The very best teams totally suck some days, just like life. No one goes undefeated in life. And neither does any baseball team, not even the Yankees.

Even if this Reds team does win the WS this year (and I will be thrilled if that happens), I will still be sad after the season, because that little part of the journey is over. That time can never be recaptured, never lived in the present again.

Just maybe, as woy is hinting at (I think), the joy is as much in experiencing the journey as it is relishing the end of the story.

cumberlandreds
10-11-2012, 08:37 AM

Great post. I was around back then too. The Internet would have burned down those teams of the early 70's when they couldn't win it all. I know things have changed now because of the money. But you do still have to have patience in baseball. The Reds have signed the nucleus of this team to long term contracts. They will be together a few more seasons. If they go out today or the next round it's not the complete end. With a just few tweeks this team will be even better next season. This is an every year experience in which you build upon from year to year. Not just a one and done thing like we see in other sports. Enjoy it!

cumberlandreds
10-11-2012, 08:42 AM
Maybe it's the wisdom of years, though every year that little voice reminds me that I am less wise than I thought I was... :eek:

I am far more attracted to the culture, the stories, the journey, the long slog through the season. I admire the fan loyalty of long suffering teams who never win, yet know everything about the teams and players and the history of their franchise. And they never give up hope. Believe it or not, there are even Cubs fans like this, who are not inebriated all the time, and I really admire their fandom.

It's why baseball is so attractive to me; it's every day, nitty gritty, just like life. The very best teams totally suck some days, just like life. No one goes undefeated in life. And neither does any baseball team, not even the Yankees.

Even if this Reds team does win the WS this year (and I will be thrilled if that happens), I will still be sad after the season, because that little part of the journey is over. That time can never be recaptured, never lived in the present again.

Just maybe, as woy is hinting at (I think), the joy is as much in experiencing the journey as it is relishing the end of the story.

Gee, you had another great post. :thumbup: Baseball is like life. It's every day grind filled with ups and downs. You endure the downs and hope for better. You savor the ups and wish they could go on forever but know in your heart it won't. I'm like you, I will be sad when the season is over. Whether its today or not until November 1st. When it's over, it's another mark in time. Another year older for me that I will never get back and hope that I will be around for another years journey in 2013.

Raisor
10-11-2012, 09:09 AM
They will either win or they won't. Take it to the bank.

MikeS21
10-11-2012, 09:44 AM
I'm one of those older posters who remembers the 1970's teams. I remember the unrealistic expectations placed on those teams. If you think "desperation" is bad now, wait until this team actually wins a World Series. They will never be allowed to lose another game as a franchise ever again.

Reds/Flyers Fan
10-11-2012, 09:49 AM

Being a sports fan is all about emotions.

As for Las Vegas, do they consider intangibles in their lines? Things such as momentum, Hunter Pence's two pre-game speeches, the Reds facing real pressure for the first time all season?

Patrick Bateman
10-11-2012, 10:10 AM
Being a sports fan is all about emotions.

As for Las Vegas, do they consider intangibles in their lines? Things such as momentum, Hunter Pence's two pre-game speeches, the Reds facing real pressure for the first time all season?

Of course they don't.

That's why they are profitable.