PDA

View Full Version : This is not our year.

Wonderful Monds
10-10-2012, 07:59 PM
I understand this series isn't over. It can still go one of two ways.

But clearly this isn't "our year." 2010 chose us, and we said no thanks. 2012 did not, and we fought it. Our MVP first basemen went down, and we battled back against the odds to win 10 in a row. Even when he came back, in the playoffs he proved that for the time being, he was going to be a shell of his former self. Sean Casey, not the key of a championship offense. Then our ace went down 8 pitches into the first series. Despite that, we fought gain to go up 2 to none on the road, and in impressive fashion to boot. And while at first the news seemed good, that he would be back just in time for all the hometown fans see him lead the team to the Championship series, it would get worse when we all found out he would be gone until the World Series at least, leaving us to out last line of defense. Now instead of rolling to a sweep, we look at the precipice of being the worst chokers in the history of the NLDS.

We can still win this thing. We can be a storybook team, the team that won it all against the odds an beat adversity at every turn. But clearly, this is not our year.

Brutus
10-10-2012, 08:03 PM
The 2010 team was not equipped to make a playoff run. As exciting as it was to get back to the playoffs, no one seriously should have expected anything in the playoffs -- especially against the Phillies.

Tom Servo
10-10-2012, 08:04 PM
I'm as negative as anybody right now, but there is still tomorrow. Start this thread then.

Ghosts of 1990
10-10-2012, 08:06 PM
Will it ever be.... I have to be honest.... it's easy to say that but was 2011 the Cardinals year? It didn't seem like it to me....

The door was wide open for us this year. It was just as much ours as anyone. Many called us the most complete team in baseball down to when the playoffs started. My feeling is if we can't win it this year I wonder if we ever will. The Giants are no better than us in any area. We just aren't playing like we should

Wonderful Monds
10-10-2012, 08:07 PM
I'm as negative as anybody right now, but there is still tomorrow. Start this thread then.

I wouldn't say ANYONE...

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2759553&postcount=681
http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98876

Ghosts of 1990
10-10-2012, 08:08 PM
I wouldn't say ANYONE...

I think my intuition is proving correct though. Not negative, just realistic.

Caveat Emperor
10-10-2012, 08:09 PM
I wouldn't say ANYONE...

I'm not negative, I'm just really depressed by reality.

Wonderful Monds
10-10-2012, 08:12 PM
I'm not negative, I'm just really depressed by reality.

http://indianapolis-photos.funcityfinder.com/files/2010/07/Indiana-Microbrewers-Festival-falls-city-Indianapolis-Indiana.jpg

Always Red
10-10-2012, 08:12 PM
Will it ever be....

The Reds have won 3 Worlds Championships, and played in 6 World Series in my short lifetime.

Patience, grasshopper. ;)

dougdirt
10-10-2012, 08:19 PM
The Reds have won 3 Worlds Championships, and played in 6 World Series in my short lifetime.

Patience, grasshopper. ;)

Of course they have played in 1 in my lifetime and I was 6, so I really don't remember it. For people my age, or younger, patience only goes so far. We literally have nothing as Cincinnati sports fans to hang our hats on. We have had now 3 Reds playoff series that we can recall without a World Series and the Bengals. My generation of Cincinnati sports fans has nothing but heart break. Kenyon Martin. Carson Palmer. Johnny Cueto. It is always something.

Caveat Emperor
10-10-2012, 08:20 PM
Of course they have played in 1 in my lifetime and I was 6, so I really don't remember it. For people my age, or younger, patience only goes so far. We literally have nothing as Cincinnati sports fans to hang our hats on. We have had now 3 Reds playoff series that we can recall without a World Series and the Bengals. My generation of Cincinnati sports fans has nothing but heart break. Kenyon Martin. Carson Palmer. Johnny Cueto. It is always something.

You can probably add Brian Kelly to that list as well. Just for funsies.

kaldaniels
10-10-2012, 08:27 PM

Are we adding dougdirt to the list of those throwing in the towel?

dougdirt
10-10-2012, 08:34 PM
Are we adding dougdirt to the list of those throwing in the towel?

You can do whatever you want. All I am saying is that telling someone my age who roots for Cincinnati teams to have patience doesn't really fly. My generation has absolutely nothing but terrible luck and bad teams for our entire lives. When we are good, our best guys magically get hurt. Every time.

Always Red
10-10-2012, 08:34 PM

Well, there are 30 MLB teams and 32 NFL teams, so if its equitable and normal, your team should be the World Champ once every 30 or 32 years.

Consider that. I am also a big UC football fan, and while they're 0-2 in BCS games over the last 6 years, it is the high water mark, ever, for UC football.

It's true, younger folks these days are more impatient, and we live in a world where everyone wants everything right now. I have no solution for that, other than the fact that I have learned over the years that the joy comes in the journey itself, not by the ending of the journey.

kaldaniels
10-10-2012, 08:35 PM
You can do whatever you want. All I am saying is that telling someone my age who roots for Cincinnati teams to have patience doesn't really fly. My generation has absolutely nothing but terrible luck and bad teams for our entire lives. When we are good, our best guys magically get hurt. Every time.

There are a lot of people on here Doug saying the series is over. Are you one of them, because your initial post seems to say you are?

Always Red
10-10-2012, 08:40 PM
There are a lot of people on here Doug saying the series is over. Are you one of them, because your initial post seems to say you are?

It appears that doug's beef is with me, for preaching patience. And giving examples why I do that. Today's world has no patience, but the world hasn't actually changed.

doug's a hard core fan, and bitterly disappointed right now. He'll be back to his usual self for tomorrow's game.

harangatang
10-10-2012, 08:41 PM
All the Reds have to do is win Game 5 and they are in the NLCS. We have our best healthy starter going on the mound at home tomorrow. While a sweep would've been nice, 1 more win gets the Reds to the NLCS. It's not time to panic yet.

Caveat Emperor
10-10-2012, 08:45 PM
It appears that doug's beef is with me, for preaching patience. And giving examples why I do that. Today's world has no patience, but the world hasn't actually changed..

Another way of saying "accept failure because success is possibly around the corner."

dougdirt
10-10-2012, 08:47 PM
Well, there are 30 MLB teams and 32 NFL teams, so if its equitable and normal, your team should be the World Champ once every 30 or 32 years.

Consider that. I am also a big UC football fan, and while they're 0-2 in BCS games over the last 6 years, it is the high water mark, ever, for UC football.

It's true, younger folks these days are more impatient, and we live in a world where everyone wants everything right now. I have no solution for that, other than the fact that I have learned over the years that the joy comes in the journey itself, not by the ending of the journey.

I am a huge UC football fan too. Tony Pike gets to go out and break his arm. Another one.

I don't know how old you are AR, but I am just saying that if you are older than I am, it is a lot easier to say to appreciate the journey and not the ending of the journey because you have actually seen the journey end well before. I haven't. Heck, the one time a team I root for (Ohio State football) actually did end their journey well, I didn't even get to see it. The party I was at was hosted by someone who had parents who kicked everyone out during overtime. My feeling on how my teams do is generally whatever can go wrong, will. Always. It isn't a "I want everything right now", it is a "I have for my entire life never seen a team I root for win on the field and more often than not when they do have a team worth a crap, they have their best player ripped away from them like it was freaking black magic".

Always Red
10-10-2012, 08:50 PM
Another way of saying "accept failure because success is possibly around the corner."

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”

“Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.”

~ Thomas Edison

Wonderful Monds
10-10-2012, 08:51 PM
I am a huge UC football fan too. Tony Pike gets to go out and break his arm. Another one.

I don't know how old you are AR, but I am just saying that if you are older than I am, it is a lot easier to say to appreciate the journey and not the ending of the journey because you have actually seen the journey end well before. I haven't. Heck, the one time a team I root for (Ohio State football) actually did end their journey well, I didn't even get to see it. The party I was at was hosted by someone who had parents who kicked everyone out during overtime. My feeling on how my teams do is generally whatever can go wrong, will. Always. It isn't a "I want everything right now", it is a "I have for my entire life never seen a team I root for win on the field and more often than not when they do have a team worth a crap, they have their best player ripped away from them like it was freaking black magic".

Meanwhile other annoying rival teams get every lucky break work in their favor on annual basis, on things like phantom infield fly calls.

jojo
10-10-2012, 08:55 PM
Just throwing this out there......but is it possible that this thread is premature? Maybe?

Dom Heffner
10-10-2012, 08:55 PM
I don't think you have to be young or old to watch the past few days and have a sinking feeling going into tomorrow.

This isn't about having patience, it's about having eyesight. Things aren't looking so hot.

Always tomorrow, Doug will happily admit any misplaced feelings or thoughts if the Reds win.

But come on- this team has lost a couple ugly games and you can't blame someone for not feeling good about things right now.

Wonderful Monds
10-10-2012, 08:58 PM
Just throwing this out there......but is it possible that this thread is premature? Maybe?

We can still win this thing. We can be a storybook team, the team that won it all against the odds an beat adversity at every turn. But clearly, this is not our year.

sonny
10-10-2012, 09:03 PM
I have a good feeling about tomorrow. Every time this season when it looked like the shoe was going to drop, it didn't.

C'mon comrades, lets have a little optimism up in this piece!

Always Red
10-10-2012, 09:04 PM

Tony Pike breaks his arm, and Brian Kelly discovers Zach Collaros. And the Cats that year don't really miss a beat (on offense) until Kelly leaves for greener pastures and they get drilled by a vastly more talented Florida team.

I'm nearly 52. On another thread tonight, I recounted the bitter disappointments the Reds experienced from 1970 through 1974, and I remember that vividly.

I understand your frustration, doug, because I feel it myself. Other than living in Chicago the year the Bears won the Super Bowl, I've lived here and rooted for local teams my entire life.

But I have seen the Reds win 3 World Series, the Bengals play in 2 Super Bowls, the Bearcats play in about 16 straight NCAA tourneys, go all the way down to the dirt, and rise to play in the sweet 16 last year.

I read here every day, and know the passion you have for the Reds and this great game. Take a deep breath and enjoy the fact that these Reds are building a great team, filling in all the holes, a bit at a time. We are watching may prove to be 2 HOF players, Votto and Bruce, during the early years of their careers.

Yes, I'm frustrated tonight. But I'm more frustrated by the fact that I bought tickets to all 3 of these games, and have not been able to attend a single one, including tomorrows because the tv powers keep everyone in the dark about the starting times until the day before, and then they are scheduled at the strangest times. I have a good job, that has very inflexible hours; others schedule time with me weeks ahead of time, and get extremely pissed if I blow them off. But I'm not that worried about the Reds. I'd be much more worried if I were a Phillies fan, with that old, expensive team, for instance.

jojo
10-10-2012, 09:05 PM
It's not really clear to me that this is not the Reds year.

I'm not a fan of pitching a HR machine in a playoff game but it is what it is.

The Reds certainly can go all of the way.

harangatang
10-10-2012, 09:07 PM
It's not really clear to me that this is not the Reds year.

I'm not a fan of pitching a HR machine in a playoff game but it is what it is.

The Reds certainly can go all of the way.If the Reds can get through tomorrow and regroup, there's no reason they can't go all the way. Even without Cueto.

Caveat Emperor
10-10-2012, 09:08 PM
"Building a great team" sounds fun until you realize this team went an entire year without 1 major injury in the rotation.

That's not a solid long-term plan for success.

camisadelgolf
10-10-2012, 09:20 PM
What if I told you the Reds need to win five out of the next eight games to get to the World Series? That's as close to their season winning percentage as you can possibly be over eight games.

reds44
10-10-2012, 09:21 PM
What if I told you the Reds need to win five out of the next eight games to get to the World Series? That's as close to their season winning percentage as you can possibly be over eight games.
I don't like our odds.

dman
10-10-2012, 09:30 PM
I can only say that I'm so glad that Quarter Horse Congress is going on right now and it's keeping me to busy to really watch the games... It's a little bit easier to cope with when you read a box score and recap as opposed to sitting and watching the whole game.

harangatang
10-10-2012, 09:31 PM
At the beginning of the season if you told me the Reds were 2-2 without Cueto in the NLDS with a home game tomorrow to be able to advance to the NLCS, I think I'd take it.

PuffyPig
10-10-2012, 09:40 PM

But clearly this isn't "our year." 2010 chose us, and we said no thanks. 2012 did not, and we fought it. Our MVP first basemen went down, and we battled back against the odds to win 10 in a row. Even when he came back, in the playoffs he proved that for the time being, he was going to be a shell of his former self. Sean Casey, not the key of a championship offense. Then our ace went down 8 pitches into the first series. Despite that, we fought gain to go up 2 to none on the road, and in impressive fashion to boot. And while at first the news seemed good, that he would be back just in time for all the hometown fans see him lead the team to the Championship series, it would get worse when we all found out he would be gone until the World Series at least, leaving us to out last line of defense. Now instead of rolling to a sweep, we look at the precipice of being the worst chokers in the history of the NLDS.

You whole post is a contradiction of itself and the thread title.

Do you have any idea how hard that is?

KittyDuran
10-10-2012, 09:52 PM
Yes, I'm frustrated tonight. But I'm more frustrated by the fact that I bought tickets to all 3 of these games, and have not been able to attend a single one, including tomorrows because the tv powers keep everyone in the dark about the starting times until the day before, and then they are scheduled at the strangest times. I have a good job, that has very inflexible hours; others schedule time with me weeks ahead of time, and get extremely pissed if I blow them off. I've been to the two games so far, but as Reds/Flyers Fan already mentioned on another thread, tomorrow's start time will be brutal. I'm already in the red on money and time with my work. I have no personal days left and only 2.5 days vacation left. Like to keep the vacation for the holidays. The company has been understanding but some of the work is piling up (and its getting me down). :(

camisadelgolf
10-10-2012, 10:00 PM
I've been to the two games so far, but as Reds/Flyers Fan already mentioned on another thread, tomorrow's start time will be brutal. I'm already in the red on money and time with my work. I have no personal days left and only 2.5 days vacation left. Like to keep the vacation for the holidays. The company has been understanding but some of the work is piling up (and its getting me down). :(
Whether you're there or not, I bet a win tomorrow will cheer you right up. :thumbup:

KittyDuran
10-10-2012, 10:07 PM
Whether you're there or not, I bet a win tomorrow will cheer you right up. :thumbup:I really want them to advance, but I'm really worried about certain players and the offense. It's really is a win-win situation for me either way - obviously if they advance I will be ecstatic, but it they don't then some of that the money for the post season tickets (I bought 2 sets) will go towards next years' season tickets.

WildcatFan
10-10-2012, 10:12 PM
What if its not our year? Here's what we're looking at next year:

A team full of gamers that had a World Series dream ripped from it. That team?

Joey Votto
Brandon Phillips
Jay Bruce
Todd Frazier
Zach Cozart
Johnny Cueto
Mat Latos
Homer Bailey
Bronson Arroyo
Ryan Hanigan
Aroldis Chapman
Sean Marshall
Sam LeCure
JJ Hoover
And a cast of many more

With a GM that knows how to win and an owner that wants it.

Ladies and gentlemen, this team is going to be good for a long time. And isn't that what we want in Cincinnati, what we haven't had for years? World Series don't come often. Teams that have a shot at them should be our goal as fans. It's a six-month season, and we've been treated to six of the best months in over a decade. With a really good chance at six more next year and for years to come.

Folks, Reds baseball is back. Fourteen other teams are going to see CIN on the schedule and spend days figuring out how in the world they're going to beat those guys. How do you pitch to Joey Votto or get a single damn ball past the infield?

The biggest obstacle the team will face is its own fans. We've seen it in interviews, and we've seen it in the attendance numbers. It's time to embrace the winning and stop griping about how seasons end or what lineup gets run out each day. This very well may not be our playoffs, but this has been our year. It's been unbelievably fun.

Jefferson24
10-10-2012, 10:15 PM
I agree try again next year. Hopefully we are able to improve this team either with acquisition or experience. Good solid base here. No reason to step backwards, learn mature and improve.

Vottomatic
10-10-2012, 10:24 PM
Nothing is over until we say it is. Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

Blutarsky's Rousing History Lesson - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQtU_fYe6gE)

10-10-2012, 10:26 PM
I have a good feeling bout tomorrow. Latos hates pitching in day games because he hates to get up early, so he takes it out on the opposing hitters. I think his quote is something like, "I'm gonna make you pay for forcing me to get up early."

And if the Rds lose, it's been a gret season. I don't see how a 97 win division winning season isn't "our year."

The BRM was the greatest team I ever saw, and over ten years they only won the World Series twice and were in it four times. And they only had to win three playoff games each year to make it.

Jefferson24
10-10-2012, 10:30 PM
the bright side of losing tomorrow if we do.....at least we don't have to endure the humiliation of losing to the cardinals. If we must lose before getting to the WS I would rather it be to the giants than the cards.