PDA

View Full Version : Jay Bruce: "Sometimes it's hard to tell whether you're at home or on the road."

reds44
10-10-2012, 09:30 PM
ctrent ‏@ctrent
Jay Bruce: 'sometimes it's hard to tell whether you're at home or on the road'

ctrent ‏@ctrent
considering mike leak and drew stubbs were booed on wednesday in what was then still a close game puts context to jay's words

ctrent ‏@ctrent
and, yeah, i'm gonna say it. nobody's ever said that about st. louis

Vottomatic
10-10-2012, 09:32 PM
If the fans did boo, I agree that it's bad. Back the team no matter what. They're not trying to lose. Leake wasn't trying to pitch badly. Arredondo didn't mean to pitch batting practice.

Win or lose, be cool and be proud of this team.

Cedric
10-10-2012, 09:33 PM
I was at both games and there was minimal booing at best. Leake actually got cheered by most people when he was running off after being pulled. I think Jay might be overreacting here.

Crumbley
10-10-2012, 09:34 PM
I heard heavy booing on TV for Arredondo.

Wonderful Monds
10-10-2012, 09:36 PM
My source tells me they were saying "Boo-urns"

Edskin
10-10-2012, 09:36 PM
Players normally do overreact to this. 35,000 can cheer and 2,000 can boo, but they always only hear the latter....nature of humans I guess.

This is why being at home for the game tomorrow is awful. Always better to play these "it looks like we are about to choke" games on the road...the fans will only aid the tension tomorrow.

Cedric
10-10-2012, 09:37 PM

I did hear that. And I assume that would happen in any stadium in the world after his performance. I'm not being defensive or dismissal of what Jay is saying. I just think his timing is odd and inappropriate.

Crumbley
10-10-2012, 09:39 PM
I did hear that. And I assume that would happen in any stadium in the world after his performance. I'm not being defensive or dismissal of what Jay is saying. I just think his timing is odd and inappropriate.
I don't see the kind of booing I see in GABP in other places. It's possible I'm just not watching the right games though. For me, you only boo your own guy when it's a matter of effort. Lollygagging, not having your head in the game, hot dog antics on a routine play and he flubs, etc. That's why they're the home team.

Caveat Emperor
10-10-2012, 09:40 PM
Jay Bruce should concentrate on winning a ballgame.

alloverjr
10-10-2012, 09:40 PM
ctrent ‏@ctrent
and, yeah, i'm gonna say it. nobody's ever said that about st. louis

I don't really get this. Cincinnati is not and will probably never be in my lifetime the baseball town that St Louis is, so why even attempt to make the comparison?

And I would have booed Arrendondo entrance onto the field and Dusty's decision. Leake, there was really no choice. Although I may have just laughed at him had I been there. :laugh:

Griffey012
10-10-2012, 09:43 PM

I dont think the booing was directed at Arredondo as much as it was the decision to leave him in there after the 3rd of 3 batters hit a laser. He clearly was not fooling anyone, it should have been a quick trigger to Hoover while the game was still within reach.

reds44
I don't disagree with what he said, but yeah not the time.

Matt700wlw
I'm not a booer, ok, maybe to the Steelers :)

The fans pay good money to go to these games. Jay and the rest of them make even more win or lose.

Suck it up. Win tomorrow and you will hear that stadium louder than it has ever been.

I hope the fans don't turn into Philly or Atlanta fans if they lose. THAT would wrong!

Tom Servo
10-10-2012, 09:47 PM
Thought this was going to be about scoring 4 runs in 19 innings at home so far.

Ghosts of 1990
10-10-2012, 09:50 PM
It's not the time. I think we have a good fan base. I hope they're cheering tomorrow. We haven't won a playoff game in this city in almost 20 years. I hope he thinks about that on his drive home.

reds44
10-10-2012, 09:52 PM
Oy vey and now Reds fans are tweeting him and he's responding. Not good.

westofyou
10-10-2012, 09:53 PM

I'm sure he is, but he's a human and boos should be reserved for effort plays

Not failure to execute

Booing is bush, defending booing is akin to defending bullying its an empty sentiment

BuckeyeRedleg
10-10-2012, 09:54 PM

Agree. Not the time to whine about fans.

The fans have come out, filled the park, and cheered their hearts out. The Reds (other than Homer Bailey) have laid an egg.

Blitz Dorsey
10-10-2012, 09:54 PM
I definitely would have been booing Leake, Stubbs and Arredondo if I had been there. What, we're allowed to cheer and go crazy when they do well, but we're supposed to act like nothing happens when they do poorly? And we're not talking about one game. Leake has been bad all year. Stubbs has been ATROCIOUS all year. Arredondo has been inconsistent-at-best all year.

Sorry, there's no crying in baseball. Some guys deserved to get booed, some guys deserve to be cheered. They're paid millions -- have some thick skin boys.

dougdirt
10-10-2012, 09:55 PM
I definitely would have been booing Leake, Stubbs and Arredondo if I had been there. What, we're allowed to cheer and go crazy when they do well, but we're supposed to act like nothing happens when they do poorly? And we're not talking about one game. Leake has been bad all year. Stubbs has been ATROCIOUS all year. Arredondo has been inconsistent-at-best all year.

Yes, that is how you are supposed to act. You cheer for the good. You stay silent for the bad.

BuckeyeRedleg
10-10-2012, 09:56 PM
Oy vey and now Reds fans are tweeting him and he's responding. Not good.

Sounds like Jay is scapegoating for the frustration of the last two days (similar to the minority of fans that he whines and tweets about).

Blitz Dorsey
10-10-2012, 09:57 PM
Yes, that is how you are supposed to act. You cheer for the good. You stay silent for the bad.

Yep, that's realistic. I think all sports fans should adopt that approach immediately. I'm sure it would be no problem to take emotion out of it when your team is doing poorly.

And let's not pretend like this was the majority of fans. A few fans were booing. Big freakin' deal!

mdccclxix
10-10-2012, 10:08 PM
I don't know, in some sense, GABP almost topped it's attendance record this year. The fans are coming around. Fans are bandwagon-y, just how it is. The players will have to continue to fight that sub-culture of the city until it relents. A little pot o' gold at the end of the rainbow will go a long way, I'm sure.

reds44
10-10-2012, 10:10 PM
Our fans suck. Anybody with a twitter should know this. Really, really ignorant and uneducated fan base. The fan base that hated Latos the first two months of the year and tweeted terrible things to his wife after every bad start.

mdccclxix
10-10-2012, 10:10 PM
Yep, that's realistic. I think all sports fans should adopt that approach immediately. I'm sure it would be no problem to take emotion out of it when your team is doing poorly.

And let's not pretend like this was the majority of fans. A few fans were booing. Big freakin' deal!

You have to understand these are humans who strive to be excellent for the approval of others. The booing has an effect, those who say it doesn't just don't want to give it up. Groaning and booing are different.

Matt700wlw
10-10-2012, 10:12 PM
C Trent is clarifying that Jay answered a question (don't know what the question was). He says he was honest, and wasn't on a soapbox.

I can appreciate that, but the non-answer answer may have been the best approach.

mdccclxix
10-10-2012, 10:13 PM
Our fans suck. Anybody with a twitter should know this. Really, really ignorant and uneducated fan base. The fan base that hated Latos the first two months of the year and tweeted terrible things to his wife after every bad start.

Read the SF messageboards, it will make you feel better. They can't wait for Bochey to do something else to complain about. I think a large % of sports fans are tyrannical, whinny, bossypants's! Very few fan bases get to enjoy sustained success and that's not fun!

BuckeyeRedleg

I think you could say the same for any fan base. You just may be too close to the situation. If you could step back you would probably see that.

Lot's of crazy people on the internet.

Tom Servo
I will say that I agree with doug about silence (I am also prone to swearing, assuming no children are in the vicinity). I don't think I have ever 'booed' at a sports event, it just seems like an odd thing to do.

reds44
10-10-2012, 10:14 PM
I don't think I've ever booed my own team in my life. Generally I stay quiet and say bad words to myself.

mdccclxix
10-10-2012, 10:17 PM
I will say that I agree with doug about silence (I am also prone to swearing, assuming no children are in the vicinity). I don't think I have ever 'booed' at a sports event, it just seems like an odd thing to do.

I love booing a rival. That's awesome. But it seems to work better in basketball when you can see a team fold in a different way than in baseball. Sometimes booing the opponent in baseball can have an opposite effect, although if fans wanted to kick the booing up to 100 tomorrow whenever SF is at bat that would be great to see. Heck, it should really work.

dsmith421
10-10-2012, 10:17 PM

The vast majority of people on Twitter are absolute morons, regardless of point of origin. I suspect this is because the vast majority of people, period, are absolute morons.

Matt700wlw
10-10-2012, 10:18 PM

Every fan base has clowns like this.

As great social media can be, there's always the other side. The anonymitity of being able to say things without putting your name to it.

reds44
10-10-2012, 10:19 PM
The vast majority of people on Twitter are absolute morons, regardless of point of origin. I suspect this is because the vast majority of people, period, are absolute morons.
Touche lol

mdccclxix
10-10-2012, 10:21 PM

I agree, might as well be a moron FOR your team. I think Adam Dunn laid the designs out on his banana phone call.

Reds Fanatic
10-10-2012, 10:29 PM
I never boo personally. You can be disappointed or upset but keep it to yourself. But I will say I think Trent's comment about St. Louis is ridiculous. Any fan base has some portion that will react poorly when things go bad. In Cincinnati I think part of it is this city has gone so long without much to really celebrate. The town so badly wants something to celebrate and it looked like it was finally coming together but all the signs are pointing to another failure which the town has seen too much of from it's sports franchises.

Patrick Bateman
10-10-2012, 10:29 PM
Protecting his teammates.

But continue overreacting like you guys do.

I doubt Bruce cares at all what reaction he gets.

Superdude
10-10-2012, 10:42 PM
The fans were terrible today. No energy the whole game, pin drop quiet outside of boos towards the end, and then a good portion could be seen bailing for the exits in the seventh inning. The revelry of those first two games hit an embarassing thud this afternoon.

alloverjr
10-10-2012, 10:48 PM
The fans were terrible today. No energy the whole game, pin drop quiet outside of boos towards the end, and then a good portion could be seen bailing for the exits in the seventh inning. The revelry of those first two games hit an embarassing thud this afternoon.

(super) Dude, a light hitting, satanic looking guy hit the 2nd pitch 10 rows deep (according to the game thread). Kind of a downer right of the bat, so to speak. Can't blame the fans there for not being pumped from the get go.

The Operator
10-10-2012, 10:58 PM
The crowd was completely awesome last night and they laid a huge egg. I don't agree with booing your own team at all, but it's not like these guys respond to a good crowd anyway.

As for twitter, those people aren't even fans. They're trolls, and they're all over the internet. That's all they are - trolls. We don't see a lot of them here because our super-awesome, good looking moderating staff generally takes care of them - but most of the interwebz are infested with those little jerks. Don't even pay attention to them, you're playing right into their hand.

KronoRed
10-10-2012, 10:59 PM
Who were those idiots behind home plate pretending to be on a roller coaster? ban those guys for life before we talk about booing.

reds44
10-10-2012, 11:26 PM
Full article:
http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/story/20539986/sensing-another-heartbreak-cincy-fans-already-bailing-out-on-reds

BuckeyeRedleg
10-11-2012, 12:05 AM
Full article:
http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/story/20539986/sensing-another-heartbreak-cincy-fans-already-bailing-out-on-reds

I like C. Trent Rosecrans, but this article is pure garbage.

Ghosts of 1990
10-11-2012, 12:07 AM
I agree. Just terrible journalism if you can call it that.

Who the heck is jumping ship? 95% of this board has frowned upon the slightest mention of "we might be in trouble" comments.

AtomicDumpling
10-11-2012, 12:14 AM
I think booing your own team is asinine. Why would you boo your own team? To motivate them? Here's a clue: booing your team does not motivate them. Booing kills their morale. Go to the game to enjoy yourself and have a good time while supporting your team. Don't boo, it makes you look like a clown.

The Operator
10-11-2012, 12:16 AM
And where did the "Cardinals fan would never do this?" thing come from?

I've heard them boo their own team countless times.

AtomicDumpling
10-11-2012, 12:17 AM
Full article:

That article is a pile of garbage. I just lost all the respect I once had for Rosecrans. :thumbdown:

Ghosts of 1990
10-11-2012, 12:19 AM
Have to agree. Haven't booed my own team since I was just a kid.

cincrazy
10-11-2012, 12:23 AM
Who cares really? Would I boo them? No, I'd be silent. But if someone pays over 100 bucks for a ticket, and wants to boo, more power to them. They have that right. The guys didn't perform today. No, Leake didn't want to suck. And Drew didn't want to suck. But they DO suck. Not bad guys. They just suck. I feel the booing is more directed at the team running them out there than anything personal. Cincy fans have always been this way. Ask Johnny Bench. Ask Griffey Jr. Ask Adam Dunn. Ask Larkin, even.

It's not ideal. But when you're making millions of dollars due to the fans interest, I think you should be able to handle a little bit of booing.

reds44
10-11-2012, 12:38 AM
It's a brutal article and taking Bruce's quote out of context made it worse.

kaldaniels
10-11-2012, 12:46 AM
Do you think Bruce is the guy referenced here?

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20121010/COL03/310100078/Doc-Weight-Reds-season-rests-Latos-shoulders?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|Reds

Home field has meant nothing, to the extent that one Reds player griped privately after the game about the fans’ behavior at GABP Wednesday. He didn’t like their early exit, or the boos they rained on reliever Jose Arredondo. He felt the fans didn’t do enough to help the home team.

cincrazy
10-11-2012, 12:47 AM
Do you think Bruce is the guy referenced here?

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20121010/COL03/310100078/Doc-Weight-Reds-season-rests-Latos-shoulders?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|Reds

Didn't do enough to help the home team? I mean, what exactly are we supposed to do? And don't they know the Giants fans booed at the end of game 2, and also left early? The Giants seem to be handling it ok emotionally.

fearofpopvol1
10-11-2012, 12:57 AM
It's a good thing CTrent isn't a reporter in NYC/Philly/Boston. What happened today was tame by comparison.

OldRightHander
10-11-2012, 01:14 AM
The guy who sat next to me was absolutely atrocious. Right from the start of the game every time someone made an out it was, "Way to pop it up, Brandon. You suck", and other gems. I think Stubbs must have left the park tonight thinking his name was Jesus Christ. Sitting on my other side was a father with a small child and here was this guy dropping F bombs every time someone struck out and basically berating every player. It's one thing to show your displeasure at poor play, but this guy really crossed the line.

Reds/Flyers Fan
10-11-2012, 01:34 AM

What do you expect? It was 8-3 in the seventh inning in a game the Reds were sleep-walking through. Couple that with what is totally obvious to anyone with eyes that Joey Votto has morphed into Sean Casey and presents zero threat to do anything other than slap harmless singles and, well ...

I've been at both games and, frankly, the Tuesday game was the loudest I've ever heard GABP, from the first through the 10th inning. The Reds responded with a hit - one hit - after the first inning against Ryan Voglesong and a collection of forgettable relievers. Tonight, when Zito walked the run in, it was equally as loud. The Reds responded to that with the Leake/Arredondo clown show.

And what that has happened in the past 20 years in this city makes you think that fans aren't well within their rights to be pessimistic?

In the past two decades:

- Bengals playoff disappointments
- Steelers injuring Palmer on first playoff play
- Ken Griffey Jr. disappointment
- Kenyon Martin broken leg/subsequent disappointment
- 2010 Reds playoff debacle
- 1999 one-game playoff no-show
- awful Bengals/Reds teams for the last 15 years

Only to watch our loathed rivals do nothing but win championship after championship: Cardinals, Steelers, etc.

Honestly, what do you expect Bruce? Are all of those things the 2012 Reds fault? No, but this city has been beat to a pulp the last 20 years and it'll take more than beating the Cubs, Astros and Brewers for a Central Division championship to shake it. Just win and change the culture ... otherwise, fair or not, you can expect even more jaded fans next year.

Brutus
10-11-2012, 03:08 AM
I think booing your own team is asinine. Why would you boo your own team? To motivate them? Here's a clue: booing your team does not motivate them. Booing kills their morale. Go to the game to enjoy yourself and have a good time while supporting your team. Don't boo, it makes you look like a clown.

Didn't you hear? Because people pay money for a ticket they should have the right to express themselves.

I was discussing this in the Hamilton thread the other day. I honestly don't get why people think that paying money to a baseball game gives them the obligation to boo their favorite team's players just because they don't like something. Seems childish to me.

Wonderful Monds
10-11-2012, 03:10 AM
That article is a pile of garbage. I just lost all the respect I once had for Rosecrans. :thumbdown:

I unfortunately degree. Really swung for the sensationalist fences on this one.

dougdirt
10-11-2012, 03:21 AM
I like C. Trent Rosecrans, but this article is pure garbage.

I agree with a lot of it. I am not bailing on the team. I will be rooting for them with all I have. But I would be flat out lying to you if I sat here and typed out that I don't feel that I am watching another Cincinnati fluke issue that is robbing my team. And a whole lot of people feel the same way given the reactions I have seen on facebook from my friends who are also roughly my age.

Always Red
10-11-2012, 06:19 AM
We loved C Trent when he was beat writer for the Post, but what can we expect when he now works for the same outfit as Gregg Doyel?

His job now, when writing, is different- it's to stir up as much crap as he can.

mdccclxix
10-11-2012, 06:42 AM
I think the tenor of the Enquirer, Daugherty really, after game 3 showed how fragile the psyche of this town is. "Here comes big bad GAME 4, a game no one wants to play! Bwaahahahaha!" The dread is real, it comes with sports, but as a fan, and as a player during the game especially, you can't let that emotion run wild.

Oldrighthander, I'm sure you were thinking "I don't want to punch this guy. I want to punch this guy. Don't make me punch this guy."

I've had the pleasure of sitting close enough to the basketball court to cheer on my favorite team and know for a fact that the support you show your team can make all the difference. Why is this even debatable? I don't feel I should have to explain this phenomenon known as "home field advantage". Anyway, for those who like to boo, please follow me here: 1. You love your team 2. Your team wants your encouragement 3. Booing will have a negative effect on the outcome of the game. 4. DON'T BOO!

sivman17
10-11-2012, 08:14 AM
I hate how all these writers are making us out to be the worst fans in sports. How many SF fans stuck around in game 2? Plus, I went on the Tigers boards to get a sense of those fans and there were some malignant comments on there. Half of them say they aren't even going to watch game 5. 'F' this team, etc.

Any passionate fan base is prone to emotional outbursts when they feel their team isn't getting it done. I don't fully agree with booing, but that's only a handful of people. Now Joe Strauss has taken to Twitter to criticize Reds fans.

mdccclxix
10-11-2012, 08:19 AM
I hate Joe Strauss. So pompous. C Trent has stooped low here, but I think he's just trying to call out the crazy people.

Caveat Emperor
10-11-2012, 08:28 AM
You know how to avoid fans booing you?

Don't lose three straight at home in the playoffs.

NJReds
10-11-2012, 08:29 AM
San Francisco fans rule. They cheer everything. Even injuries.

dsmith421
10-11-2012, 08:34 AM

Crying to C. Trent and then going on Twitter to rip fans does not seem like the behavior of a team ready to play a decisive Game 5.

Crumbley
10-11-2012, 08:42 AM

I distinctly remember booing the game after winning ten straight. It's a bad fan base.

MikeS21
10-11-2012, 08:52 AM
I gotta say, I read C Trent's article and unfortunately, many of the dozens of new threads floating around RedsZone after Tuesday's loss, seem to simply prove that what he is saying about the fans is true. It seems that the only way most fans are going to be happy is if this team goes 162-0 and win every game by a 10-0 score.

And yes, it does seem that Cincinnati sports teams seem jinxed at times by weird events. But I have watched sports for over 45 years, and every team that wins a championship usually has a little bit of "luck" - even if that "luck" is a rival team hit by the injury bug. I have seen a lot of losses by Cincinnati sports teams due to one pitch, one error, one missed tackle, one bad punt, etc.

To me, its just a game, and if the Reds lose today, we've had a great year, and unless the Mayan calendar thing is correct and December is the Apocalypse, then pitchers and catchers will report in February to start on next season.

oneupper
10-11-2012, 09:09 AM
Except for St. Louis, I don't think the REDS get booed much on the road. Bruce shouldn't be confused.

wolfboy
10-11-2012, 09:15 AM
Dear C. Trent:

Sometimes it's hard to tell whether I'm reading a CBS Sports article or a gossip rag.

Dear Jay:

Sometimes it's hard to tell whether I'm watching the '27 Yankees or the '12 Cubs.

We all have our low points. Cincinnati fans aren't exempt from that. Same goes for C. Trent and Bruce.

lollipopcurve
10-11-2012, 09:28 AM
Cincy sports is saturated with negativity. From talk radio to Franchester, it lingers in the air like humidity.

bucksfan2
10-11-2012, 09:49 AM
Cincy sports is saturated with negativity. From talk radio to Franchester, it lingers in the air like humidity.

Sport is saturated with negativity. Being an OSU fan I am used to crushing defeat. Florida, Florida, LSU, Kentucky, Kansas, you name it. I can't think of one fan base that would be happy with last nights performance. Arredondo comes in and allows the game to be broken open, are we supposed to say "You did your best!"

I don't understand when athletes get this high and mighty attitude when they lay an egg in the biggest moment.

Larkin Fan
10-11-2012, 09:53 AM
Full article:

Absolutely ridiculous article and extremely poor journalism. I was at yesterday's game and while there was a vocal MINORITY that booed there was an overwhelming majority of the 44,000+ in attendance (third best crowd in GABP history) that was cheering like crazy for our Reds.

lollipopcurve
10-11-2012, 09:55 AM
are we supposed to say "You did your best!"

No one is suggesting that.

Reds/Flyers Fan
10-11-2012, 10:00 AM
I don't think the booing was particularly directed at Jose Arredondo. I think it was just general venting at that moment that a 2-0 series lead is now heading to a deciding game.

Tony Cloninger
10-11-2012, 10:13 AM
How about not swinging on the 1st pitch after back to back walks? That would cut down on some boos. How about these guys do what worked for them in SF....and not try to jack homers.

The Cueto and Palmer comparison of first plays taking out your players..... is just too numbskulling to comprehend...beacuse it did cost them now...but they still had a 2-0 lead.

Brutus
10-11-2012, 10:13 AM
Crying to C. Trent and then going on Twitter to rip fans does not seem like the behavior of a team ready to play a decisive Game 5.

I don't think you really grasp how these media sessions work if you think Bruce went crying to C. Trent.

He was asked a question and he answered truthfully. What would you rather he do? If people are defensive about booing, then they shouldn't do it. Otherwise, they should be receptive to being called on it.

Always Red
10-11-2012, 10:17 AM
Daugherty weighs in on this, makes some good points, with a shot directed towards C. Trent:

(I love it when sports hacks squabble with each other):D

“I think our fans have a pretty interesting way of showing their support. I understand being into the game and wanting the best for us, but sometimes it’s hard to tell whether you’re at home or on the road,” Reds outfielder Jay Bruce said.

“Our fans are what make us go. It’s why baseball and sports in general are so great — the fans drive the teams. We want our fans on our side. We need our fans on our side.”

This is a city that has been taught hubris time and again."

---------

Well, OK. Bruce has a point. Homer Bailey made it not long ago. Fans here are passionate to the point of dread. The local sports motto could be, “Expect the worst and you’ll never be disappointed.” But a day when you strand eight runners in the first four innings and your pitchers allow three homers, maybe isn’t the day to cite the fans as a reason for your performance. Or lack thereof.

Oh, and hubris means “excessive pride or self confidence.” That wouldnt exactly describe us around here, ever. Ten-dollar words are best left in the hands of those who know what they mean.

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/daugherty/2012/10/11/the-morning-line-1011/

dsmith421
10-11-2012, 10:17 AM
I don't think you really grasp how these media sessions work if you think Bruce went crying to C. Trent.

He was asked a question and he answered truthfully. What would you rather he do? If people are defensive about booing, then they shouldn't do it. Otherwise, they should be receptive to being called on it.

You are very impressed with yourself, aren't you.

I do actually "grasp" how these media sessions work. My job often requires me to give statements to the media. And Bruce could have answered the question in a lot of ways that would not have drawn attention to himself, instead he chose to whine.

Brutus
10-11-2012, 10:24 AM

I do actually "grasp" how these media sessions work. My job often requires me to give statements to the media. And Bruce could have answered the question in a lot of ways that would not have drawn attention to himself, instead he chose to whine.

That's great that you deal with the media. But in my experience very rarely do players solicit these subjects on a whim. More times than not, they're nudged in that direction or asked leading questions in hopes of obtaining certain answers.

Regardless, wasn't aware that answering a question truthfully is construed as whining. I learned something new today. Like I said, if people want to boo, they shouldn't get bent out of shape when they're called on it.

wolfboy
10-11-2012, 10:35 AM
That's great that you deal with the media. But in my experience very rarely do players solicit these subjects on a whim. More times than not, they're nudged in that direction or asked leading questions in hopes of obtaining certain answers.

Regardless, wasn't aware that answering a question truthfully is construed as whining. I learned something new today. Like I said, if people want to boo, they shouldn't get bent out of shape when they're called on it.

Which is great except for the fact that the people getting bent out of shape are largely the ones that don't boo.

BuckeyeRedleg
10-11-2012, 10:38 AM
This is kind of ridiculous. How do we know who specifically boo'd?

And isn't rather presumptuous to say that people that disagree with Bruce (or C. Trent) are the boo'ers? Hilarious.

This whole thing seems like a deflection or a red herring to distract everyone from the epic choke that's in progress. C. Trent is a players guy. I'm sure he's buds with some of the guys on the team. So, he goes with the "Cincinnati fans are very bad and the players are on an island" meme. Yawn.

Whether Jay went to C. Trent or vice versa, the whole thing just seems kind of lame and ill timed.

Yep, fans boo. The outrageous outrage of it all. lol.

And Paul Daugherty finally says something I can agree with.

Always Red
10-11-2012, 11:09 AM
Maybe it's not just the fans:

"I've got to be honest with you, this team looks like a bunch of whipped dogs right now, that is going through the motions"--Marty Brennaman

Read more: http://www.espn1530.com/pages/lancesBlog.html#ixzz290HQpjMB

CrackerJack
10-11-2012, 11:11 AM

I agree. And maybe this has something to do with it:

"I've got to be honest with you, this team looks like a bunch of whipped dogs right now, that is going through the motions"--Marty Brennaman

Get over it Jay and play some good baseball, stop acting like a child who gets a soda pop after a "tough game." The fans have been behind him through thick and thin here, stupid comment, I get that he's frustrated, but turning on the fans a la Lance McAlister, and coming off as a ******, isn't helping anything. Play ball.

CrackerJack
10-11-2012, 11:12 AM
This is kind of ridiculous. How do we know who specifically boo'd?

And isn't rather presumptuous to say that people that disagree with Bruce (or C. Trent) are the boo'ers? Hilarious.

This whole thing seems like a deflection or a red herring to distract everyone from the epic choke that's in progress. C. Trent is a players guy. I'm sure he's buds with some of the guys on the team. So, he goes with the "Cincinnati fans are very bad and the players are on an island" meme. Yawn.

Whether Jay went to C. Trent or vice versa, the whole thing just seems kind of lame and ill timed.

Yep, fans boo. The outrageous outrage of it all. lol.

And Paul Daugherty finally says something I can agree with.

Yep, couldn't agree more with this as well, well put.

cumberlandreds
10-11-2012, 11:14 AM

I see it was 40 years ago today the Reds won game 5 of the 1972 playoffs. George Foster who scored the winning run in that game is throwing out the first pitch. Let's hope some of that magic from that day 40 years ago rubs off on this team.

Always Red
10-11-2012, 11:25 AM
I see it was 40 years ago today the Reds won game 5 of the 1972 playoffs. George Foster who scored the winning run in that game is throwing out the first pitch. Let's hope some of that magic from that day 40 years ago rubs off on this team.

I will never forget that day, my mom was so nervous she couldn't watch the game on TV.

Bench hit the HR to tie, to RF, which was so rare for him (what??? The Reds were behind in that series?), and Hal McRae was at the plate when Foster scored that winning run on a wild pitch from Moose.

I remember it like it was yesterday.

Those Reds didn't give up, and I don't think this group does, either. :beerme:

cumberlandreds
10-11-2012, 11:29 AM
I will never forget that day, my mom was so nervous she couldn't watch the game on TV.

Bench hit the HR to tie, to RF, which was so rare for him (what??? The Reds were behind in that series?), and Hal McRae was at the plate when Foster scored that winning run on a wild pitch from Moose.

I remember it like it was yesterday.

Those Reds didn't give up, and I don't think this group does, either. :beerme:

Same here. Can't believe its been 40 years. One of the few times I saw my dad get really excited about a sports event. When Bench hit that HR he jumped straight out of chair, gave a big clap and just started laughing with joy. Great memories! I think we will have a good one or two after today also.

westofyou
10-11-2012, 11:37 AM

All bodies have a heart that sets the pulse for all the connected parts

Thump
Thump
Thump

Johnny Footstool
10-11-2012, 12:01 PM
Between this and what's going on with KC Chiefs fans right now, I'm wondering when athletes developed such thin skins.

I can see getting upset when someone heckles you, especially if they make it too personal. But really, does getting booed hurt your feelings so bad that you have to cry about it?

Always Red
10-11-2012, 12:17 PM
Between this and what's going on with KC Chiefs fans right now, I'm wondering when athletes developed such thin skins.

I can see getting upset when someone heckles you, especially if they make it too personal. But really, does getting booed hurt your feelings so bad that you have to cry about it?

Today's athletes are a coddled group, from their early teens on, and few of them have known anything but success.

Fans know how to act, how to cheer, how to support a team. There are a few bad apples everywhere, and due to the increase in video everywhere, they stick out more now.

Whenever I hear a player, owner or team official attempt to instruct a fanbase how to act, I usually think the problem is not the fans, but the team.

...But we are different here in the Queen City...

In 1964, Reds fans were so supportive of their streaking hot team, that when they returned after a season ending road trip in which they won 8 straight games to take a one game lead in the NL with 5 games left, all of 10,000 folks showed up for the first game (which they lost to the Pirates), 8000 showed up for the 2nd game (loss) and 7000 showed up for the 3rd game (win). 25000 souls for an end of the year 1st place team, in a 3 game series. Is it any wonder that after Powell Crosley died and the Dodgers and Giants left NYC, that new ownership looked for a bit to possibly move to Gotham?

Club officials estimated that more people showed up at the airport to greet the team upon returning from that road trip at midnight, than actually went to the game the next day.

We have history. :eek:

Brutus
10-11-2012, 12:21 PM
So fans can boo and there's nothing wrong with it. But if players call it out, they're whiners.

I'd hope people see the irony in that defense...

Brutus
10-11-2012, 12:23 PM
Which is great except for the fact that the people getting bent out of shape are largely the ones that don't boo.

How are you so sure of this?

Tom Servo
10-11-2012, 12:34 PM
The St. Louis comment is stupid. Tyler Greene was booed by the Cardinals fans just this year.

SirFelixCat
10-11-2012, 12:37 PM
I'm sure he is, but he's a human and boos should be reserved for effort plays

Not failure to execute

Booing is bush, defending booing is akin to defending bullying its an empty sentiment

Well put.

wally post
10-11-2012, 01:06 PM

I think they were hoping for the kind of unabashed support that they see the other teams getting.

steig
10-11-2012, 01:18 PM
I do not boo at my team. I will criticize effort and lack of execution. You as a fan pay good money to attend the game, especially playoff games, you should be able to boo if your team plays that poorly. I find almost ridiculous that Bruce is complaining about the fans. He is treated like a perennial MVP candidate by Cincinnati fans when he is a career .255 hitter and has never driven in 100 runs in a season.

Always Red
10-11-2012, 01:21 PM
Marty and Thom open their broadcast mentioning all the empty seats at the game today. Not sure if it's a late arriving crowd (parking will be terrible today, with the game occurring during a business day when lots are already full), or if not sold out.

Johnny Footstool
10-11-2012, 01:28 PM
So fans can boo and there's nothing wrong with it. But if players call it out, they're whiners.

I'd hope people see the irony in that defense...

I don't think there is anything ironic about it. The players are entertainers. If the fans aren't being entertained, why shouldn't they express it?

Players have to know that they're not going to satisfy every fan, and that some fans are going to boo them. They're being paid a lot of money to do what they do. Part of that paycheck involves them being able to deal with the pressure the fans put on them.

steig
10-11-2012, 01:40 PM
I don't think there is anything ironic about it. The players are entertainers. If the fans aren't being entertained, why shouldn't they express it?

Players have to know that they're not going to satisfy every fan, and that some fans are going to boo them. They're being paid a lot of money to do what they do. Part of that paycheck involves them being able to deal with the pressure the fans put on them.

Well stated.

dougdirt
10-11-2012, 01:46 PM
Marty and Thom open their broadcast mentioning all the empty seats at the game today. Not sure if it's a late arriving crowd (parking will be terrible today, with the game occurring during a business day when lots are already full), or if not sold out.

It is sold out, but whether all of the tickets are used is another story. Stubhub had outfield, lower level seats, starting at $10 as of 2am last night. Those tickets have a face value of, I believe, $50.

Brutus
10-11-2012, 01:53 PM

Isn't that the polite way of saying fans whine when they don't get their way or aren't entertained? That's why I find it ironic that Bruce is "whining."

KittyDuran
10-11-2012, 01:55 PM

Traffic wasn't bad when I left work ~ 11:30am - but the lot I use for parking, the big one between PBS and GABP was 3/4th full at noon.

Bob Borkowski
10-11-2012, 02:14 PM

Later on, Marty described it as a late-arriving crowd...no empty seats in sight.

Johnny Footstool
10-11-2012, 02:22 PM
Isn't that the polite way of saying fans whine when they don't get their way or aren't entertained? That's why I find it ironic that Bruce is "whining."

The fans are the consumers. If they are unhappy with the product, they have the right to complain.

The players are ultimately there to serve the fans. So yes, if they speak out and complaing about something trivial like being booed, they they are whining.

dougdirt
10-11-2012, 02:28 PM
Yep. Cincinnati sports fans don't know what they are talking about at all.

Caveat Emperor
10-11-2012, 02:28 PM
FWIW, this team hasn't really done anything to merit cheering (outside of Bailey's performance in G3) since coming back from San Francisco.

westofyou
10-11-2012, 02:32 PM
FWIW, this team hasn't really done anything to merit cheering (outside of Bailey's performance in G3) since coming back from San Francisco.

What's that 25 innings or so?

Yeah I know... pennants and banners.

Caveat Emperor
10-11-2012, 02:40 PM
What's that 25 innings or so?

Yeah I know... pennants and banners.

All that matters.

Everything else is just an excuse to spend a summer night at the yard.

Rojo
10-11-2012, 02:59 PM
The fans are the consumers. If they are unhappy with the product, they have the right to complain.

Sure they do but why would they? In some cities booing never even crosses fan's minds.

WMR
10-11-2012, 03:11 PM
Sure they do but why would they? In some cities booing never even crosses fan's minds.

Where is this mythical city where fans never boo?

Johnny Footstool
10-11-2012, 03:29 PM

It never crosses some fans' minds.

However, all cities have fans that boo.

westofyou
10-11-2012, 03:36 PM

Mayberry

Rojo
10-11-2012, 04:11 PM

I go to about a dozen Giants games a year, maybe one A's game. Never heard fans boo their own players.

I'm sure it must happen. I've just never seen it. Strikes me as strange when I hear it in other cities.

fearofpopvol1
10-11-2012, 05:06 PM

Philly? NY? Boston? I'm sure those places never boo.

Unassisted
10-11-2012, 05:53 PM
Salt Lake City?

The Operator
10-11-2012, 08:04 PM
I go to about a dozen Giants games a year, maybe one A's game. Never heard fans boo their own players.

I'm sure it must happen. I've just never seen it. Strikes me as strange when I hear it in other cities.Giants fans booed relentlessly in Game 2, fwiw.

Always Red
10-11-2012, 08:06 PM
Big crowds, big support by Reds fans over the 3 games.

I doubt you will hear anything else but positives about that from here on out.

KittyDuran
10-11-2012, 08:09 PM
Big crowds, big support by Reds fans over the 3 games.

I doubt you will hear anything else but positives about that from here on out.
Big crowd today... and we were LOUD (I have a little sore throat as well).

Wonderful Monds
10-11-2012, 08:13 PM
My palms are bruised from clapping

For the record I have never seen GABP stand on its feet for an entire game nor be as loud as they were today (which btw peaked for none other than Jay Bruce in the 9th)

The Operator
10-11-2012, 08:18 PM

For the record I have never seen GABP stand on its feet for an entire game nor be as loud as they were today (which btw peaked for none other than Jay Bruce in the 9th)Fans at other parks must cheer for him like that too, since he has such a hard time figuring out whether he's home or on the road.

KittyDuran
10-11-2012, 08:22 PM
Fans at other parks must cheer for him like that too, since he has such a hard time figuring out whether he's home or on the road.:ughmamoru: I'd would say that Bruce is also confused because its so hard to tell whether the crowd is booing or saying bruuuuce!

KittyDuran
10-11-2012, 08:25 PM

For the record I have never seen GABP stand on its feet for an entire game nor be as loud as they were today (which btw peaked for none other than Jay Bruce in the 9th)
I also rarely heard them (w/o prompting by the scoreboard) to start up a chant (the exception being in 2010 with Votto "MVP"). Seemed all the players were getting chants at their a-bats. I was under the stacks for a few innings and it seemed that Chuck and his pals were starting a few.

Wonderful Monds
10-11-2012, 08:27 PM
:ughmamoru: I'd would say that Bruce is also confused because its so hard to tell whether the crowd is booing or saying bruuuuce!

They were saying "Bruuuuu-urns.....Bruuuu-urns!"

The Operator
10-11-2012, 08:46 PM
They were saying "Bruuuuu-urns.....Bruuuu-urns!"We know at the very least, Hans Moleman was saying Boooo-urns!

I was saying Boo-urns. - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWmAez71uMY)