PDA

View Full Version : This could still be the year

RedEye
10-11-2012, 12:11 AM
Dear everyone,

One game stands in our way here. I know Cueto is down for the count, Latos is recovering from sickness and the team is demoralized after coming so close to winning two last night. But if they make it... oh man... they'll be facing the Cards or the Nats, neither of which is an invincible team by any means. I have to believe this is going to happen still!

OldRightHander
10-11-2012, 12:54 AM
Any kind of offense shows up and they could go all the way. Even with Cueto out, they still have two aces to anchor the rotation if Bailey stays true to recent form. Remember '90? They used only 3 starters in the NLCS and the World Series. You get good work out of Latos, Bailey, and Arroyo and with the days off thrown in I think they can do it. Of course the bats have to show up, but I think they have the pitching to do it. If by some small miracle Cueto makes it back by the World Series and the Reds manage 4 wins in the NLCS with what they have, look out.

mdccclxix
10-11-2012, 06:56 AM
The Reds clear this hurdle, take this punch and survive, and they'll be riding high with confidence.

mdccclxix
10-11-2012, 06:58 AM
I was looking at Votto's postseason career stats, he's not this guy:

.211/.304/.211/.515

Come today or tomorrow, I believe someone will be having night sweats about Votto's 4-5 performance...

redsmetz
10-11-2012, 07:59 AM
The team still believes! Many of you know me from this board and, at times, some might say my middle is Pollyanna. But I've faced some dread of this game and even considered not going, just selling my tickets. My wife, in only the way a loving wife can do, told me that was stupid, "they'll win or lose whether you're there or not."

My son sent me this link this morning, from C. Trent Rosecrans. He pretty much nails it and he reminds us that this team still believes in themselves.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/story/20539986/sensing-another-heartbreak-cincy-fans-already-bailing-out-on-reds

KittyDuran
10-11-2012, 08:10 AM
This is in the company kitchen this morning...6339
Let's GO!

_Sir_Charles_
10-11-2012, 10:02 AM
Nice, Kitty! :O)

vaticanplum
10-11-2012, 10:30 AM
Now I want a cinnamon roll.

edit: and a win.

oneupper
10-11-2012, 10:30 AM
This is a city that has been taught hubris time and again.

Not sure I agree with that choice of words. How do you teach hubris?

KittyDuran
10-11-2012, 10:55 AM
Nice, Kitty! :O)The cinnamon rolls each have a baseball styled "pick" which you really can't see in the photo... :)

Oh... and they're homemade!

KittyDuran
10-11-2012, 10:57 AM
Not sure I agree with that choice of words. How do you teach hubris?

Hubris ( /ˈhjuːbrɪs/), also hybris, from ancient Greek ὕβρις, means extreme pride or arrogance. Hubris often indicates a loss of contact with reality and an overestimation of one's own competence or capabilities, especially when the person exhibiting it is in a position of power.

The adjectival form of hubris is "hubristic".

In ancient Greek, hubris referred to actions that shamed and humiliated the victim for the pleasure or gratification of the abuser.[1] The term had a strong sexual connotation, and the shame reflected on the perpetrator as well.

vaticanplum
10-11-2012, 11:25 AM
Think about this: the Reds are technically in the exact same position they were in going into Tuesday's game. We were feeling pretty good on Tuesday.

On a personal note, I have to watch the Steelers game tonight, so I really need the Reds on many levels. It's not going to be a pretty day if they lose.