PDA

View Full Version : Why we WILL WIN Game 5: The Definitive List

10-11-2012, 12:59 AM
Feeling a bit uncertain about tomorrow? Too focused on reasons why things might go south? Need a persuasive, evidence-based case to get you into the positive mindset you must have? This thread is for you.

After collecting contributions from all corners of RedsZone for this list of reasons why tomorrow (Thurs) will be our day in Game 5 vs the Giants, I realized it had to be its own thread. As best I can tell, this is the most comprehensive list of its kind on redszone.com! With a few thanks to Old Red Guard posters as noted:

- We're at home
- Latos is as tough as they come for us. And, he hates the Giants and tends to mow them down nicely
- Our BP, while maybe not as rested (debateable), is still the class of the NL with maybe just the exception of Dondedondo.
- We have the bats
- Cain has lost a bunch of times for reasons that haven't changed; doesn't matter that it'd be the 4th time.
- Dusty has the biggest motivation of all time to make the right calls to close out
- Can't have both my postseason predictions proved wrong on the same day; that'd be crazy talk
- Timmy won't be on the mound again for SF
- Got our butts handed to us in 2010 and too many on this roster won't let it happen again. Motivation matters.
- goreds2 (and no doubt lots of other RZers) will be at the game wiling us to victory. Laugh if you will but the 10th man also matters.
- Han the Man back behind the plate after being taken out in Game 4.
- Jay Bruce playing like Jay Bruce this postseason. Can you spell K-E-Y?
- Game 5 on 10/11/12. If that's not prophetic in the best of ways, I don't know what is!
- The Giants are 1-5 all-time in winner-take-all postseason games. (Ghosts of 1990/ORG)
- The Reds MUST be the ones to take it to the Yankees a la 1976!(mdccclxix/ORG w/ minor 1040757690 edits)
- Take emotion out of it. Vegas knows! http://www.vegasinsider.com/mlb/odds/las-vegas/ (thx again to Ghosts/ORG)
- It's Just One Game!! (RedEye/ORG and many other ORG and Sundeckers)
- The Reds have won 3 Worlds Championships, and played in 6 World Series in my short lifetime. (Always Red/ORG)
- "I love this team." (VR/ORG and presumably all who inhabit RZ)
- "I have a good feeling about tomorrow." (quote from Sonny, echoed by Kc61 and 757690 (all ORG), RedRolen and many, many others on all decks and old guards)
- "the Reds need to win five out of the next eight games to get to the World Series? That's as close to their season winning percentage as you can possibly be over eight games." (camisadelgolf/ORG)
- with what the Oakland A's pulled off tonight (WOW!!!) in their game 4, clearly our challenge can be overcome!

LDS GAME 5. LATOS v. CAIN.
REDS WILL WIN. REDS WILL WIN. REDS WILL WIN.

redsrolen
10-11-2012, 01:08 AM
ALL THOSE REASONS PLUS I JUST READ WHAT JOEY SAID IN THE TRIBUNE.....He stayed late to clear his head & was excited for the opportunity for tomorrow!!!!

WE WILL WIN!!!:party::clap::KoolAid::KoolAid::thisyear::th isyear::usa:

HometownHero
10-11-2012, 01:09 AM
Somewhere the Giants have a list just like this on why they will win.

redsrolen
10-11-2012, 01:10 AM

Who cares!!

10-11-2012, 01:16 AM

Er, I'd point out a few obvious things like SF isn't at home and Vegas isn't favoring them but no matter.

The evidence is overwhelming.

LATOS IS A MACHINE. GAME 5 IS OURS!

smixsell
10-11-2012, 01:25 AM
Mat Latos, he no like to lose and he no like the Giants

HometownHero
10-11-2012, 02:07 AM
Er, I'd point out a few obvious things like SF isn't at home and Vegas isn't favoring them but no matter.

The evidence is overwhelming.

LATOS IS A MACHINE. GAME 5 IS OURS!

These is no evidence. Both teams fans have a list of countless reason why they think their team is going to win, only one is going to be right and most every single reason the fans think isn't going to be a factor at all.

ervinsm84
10-11-2012, 02:24 AM
Vegas isn't favoring them but no matter.

It's not like the Reds are an overwhelming favorite. This game is a virtual coinflip. Last time I checked, the lines the Reds were -115. That equals barely >50% win odds.

And the Reds were bigger favorites in game 4. I think the line closed around Reds -145. I still like our chances, but this game could easily go either way. Hopefully the breaks and bounces go our way bc in 1 game crazy things happen.

Oh and who's giving the pep talk for this game?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=sODWrEHPZFY

Spider Tre
10-11-2012, 04:58 AM
we will win. no hesitation. #Believe

goreds2
10-11-2012, 07:48 AM
Oh and who's giving the pep talk for this game?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=sODWrEHPZFY

Very good video. Hey, if anyone is at the game today, stop over and say hi. I will be the one in the Reds jacket.

MrRedLegger
10-11-2012, 08:44 AM
Votto will go off today. No one is preparing like he is. Latos pitches a gem. No one hates the Giants more than he does.

Mr Redlegs will shave his mustache if we win.

Biff Pocoroba
10-11-2012, 08:58 AM
You left out the most obvious and important reason:

We are the better team.

10-11-2012, 09:40 AM
Thanks Biff. And others (even thanks to the 2 or 3 "voices of reasons" on a thread not really targeting that :)) We're the better team. So simple. So true.

Today is such a big day for the LDS series. My own probabilities for wins (in descending order from most likely to least likely), being as objective as I can muster:

- 1. Most prob. Reds over Giants (all the reasons above but Latos chief among them)

- 2. Second most likely. O's over Yankees (O's, amazingly, have shown they can run with NY. After how JJ gave it up last night, think them come back with a vengeance to send it to a 5th).

- 3. Tigers over A's. Would LOVE to see the A's win this as most of America probably would. And they really could given what they've done to get to this point. But let's not pretend the Tigers aren't throwing Verlander. They are.

- 4. Nats over Cardinals. I'll be at this game pulling for the Nats but I'm not optimistic because my general optimism is always tempered by realism. Will be thrilled if they equalize but, of all the series, this is the only one that has seemed like an outright mismatch. Shouldn't be. But has been. Hope they surprise me but wouldn't put any money on it.

REDS WILL WIN. TOO MANY REASONS SUPPORTING THAT VIEW TO MAKE ANY OTHER OUTCOME SUPPORTABLE.

[Insert Jim Belushi's Bluto Speech Here. Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Go! Go! Go!]

Oh, and hometown and ervins, you guys be sure and check back on this thread after we win, ya hear? :beerme:

Captain13
10-11-2012, 09:52 AM
Mr Redlegs will shave his mustache if we win.

Then he will be Mr. Red. :thumbup:

texasdave
10-11-2012, 10:49 AM
The number one reason why the Reds WILL WIN the game today. The sun came up this morning. That was the only thing that could have held this team back!!!!!!

ThatPitchIsDunn
10-11-2012, 10:53 AM
Mike Leake is not available to pitch.

smixsell
10-11-2012, 11:06 AM
Because Latos is on the hill today and because BP, Joey, Jay, and both Ryans will lead the charge on offense.

texasdave
10-11-2012, 11:07 AM
Because every fan that passes through the turnstiles today must pinky swear that they will not boo the home team. No pinky swear, no admittance.

Over da Pence
10-11-2012, 11:35 AM
I had great dreams last night! Never been more excited than today. You guys are a good squad!

P.E.R#14
10-11-2012, 11:46 AM
Journey-Dont Stop Believing (official song) with lyrics - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5wVZwdHmRY)

ervinsm84
10-11-2012, 12:28 PM
Al Pacino - Any Given Sunday - "Inch By Inch" - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myyWXKeBsNk)

#ALLREADY

HometownHero
10-11-2012, 05:06 PM
Can't believe all those meaningless things didn't lead us to victory!

Over da Pence
10-11-2012, 07:31 PM
Feeling a bit uncertain about tomorrow? Too focused on reasons why things might go south? Need a persuasive, evidence-based case to get you into the positive mindset you must have? This thread is for you.

After collecting contributions from all corners of RedsZone for this list of reasons why tomorrow (Thurs) will be our day in Game 5 vs the Giants, I realized it had to be its own thread. As best I can tell, this is the most comprehensive list of its kind on redszone.com! With a few thanks to Old Red Guard posters as noted:

- We're at home
- Latos is as tough as they come for us. And, he hates the Giants and tends to mow them down nicely
- Our BP, while maybe not as rested (debateable), is still the class of the NL with maybe just the exception of Dondedondo.
- We have the bats
- Cain has lost a bunch of times for reasons that haven't changed; doesn't matter that it'd be the 4th time.
- Dusty has the biggest motivation of all time to make the right calls to close out
- Can't have both my postseason predictions proved wrong on the same day; that'd be crazy talk
- Timmy won't be on the mound again for SF
- Got our butts handed to us in 2010 and too many on this roster won't let it happen again. Motivation matters.
- goreds2 (and no doubt lots of other RZers) will be at the game wiling us to victory. Laugh if you will but the 10th man also matters.
- Han the Man back behind the plate after being taken out in Game 4.
- Jay Bruce playing like Jay Bruce this postseason. Can you spell K-E-Y?
- Game 5 on 10/11/12. If that's not prophetic in the best of ways, I don't know what is!
- The Giants are 1-5 all-time in winner-take-all postseason games. (Ghosts of 1990/ORG)
- The Reds MUST be the ones to take it to the Yankees a la 1976!(mdccclxix/ORG w/ minor 1040757690 edits)
- Take emotion out of it. Vegas knows! http://www.vegasinsider.com/mlb/odds/las-vegas/ (thx again to Ghosts/ORG)
- It's Just One Game!! (RedEye/ORG and many other ORG and Sundeckers)
- The Reds have won 3 Worlds Championships, and played in 6 World Series in my short lifetime. (Always Red/ORG)
- "I love this team." (VR/ORG and presumably all who inhabit RZ)
- "I have a good feeling about tomorrow." (quote from Sonny, echoed by Kc61 and 757690 (all ORG), RedRolen and many, many others on all decks and old guards)
- "the Reds need to win five out of the next eight games to get to the World Series? That's as close to their season winning percentage as you can possibly be over eight games." (camisadelgolf/ORG)
- with what the Oakland A's pulled off tonight (WOW!!!) in their game 4, clearly our challenge can be overcome!

LDS GAME 5. LATOS v. CAIN.
REDS WILL WIN. REDS WILL WIN. REDS WILL WIN.

See the difference between the G's and Reds is that G's didn't have to make a list, they just went out and played. I could have argued against your list and made my own list but then I might have jinxed it. Instead we just went out and balled. But you guys are a tough customer. Jay Bruce, an 8 minute at bat, Ludwick with his 3 dongs, and Votto playing with his hands and no knees. You guys were a tough customer for us.

Larkin88
10-11-2012, 08:41 PM
See the difference between the G's and Reds is that G's didn't have to make a list, they just went out and played. I could have argued against your list and made my own list but then I might have jinxed it. Instead we just went out and balled. But you guys are a tough customer. Jay Bruce, an 8 minute at bat, Ludwick with his 3 dongs, and Votto playing with his hands and no knees. You guys were a tough customer for us.

Look man, you've been fun around here the last few days. But you're either slow or trolling if you think that this "list" had anything to do with the Reds or how they played the game. Or any arbitrary connection to jinxes.

It was a fan hopefully pontificating about the advantages we had on paper. Most of us are probably well aware that the game of baseball isn't played on paper.

Thank you for the comments about being tough. Thank you for being a good sport in general this week. But respectfully tread a little bit lightly here for the next few days on the differences between the Reds and the Giants or why the Reds failed. With all due respect, most people on here don't care that you "balled" or at the very least want to be reminded of it. And I've found your tone to all of a sudden be a little condescending or infantilizing.

10-11-2012, 10:37 PM
As the fan who assembled the list, largely drawing from thoughts posted by many fans who assemble here, of course it has nothing to do with how the Reds played on the field.

It was merely an attempt to give a small boost heading into a tough game today. No different I suppose than what Hunter Pence did for his team in the clubhouse. Just a different way since we're fans on a website versus players on the scene.

BTW, the list strikes me as still largely spot on. Again,it comes from all of us. It's why we should have won. It's why we'll win next time.

Over da Pence
10-11-2012, 10:45 PM
BTW, the list strikes me as still largely spot on. Again,it comes from all of us. It's why we should have won. It's why we'll win next time.

I understand. But you gotta remember there are no guarantees. That's why all along I even said I can't guarantee that we will win, just that we will give it our all. Failure is good. Hey I experienced what everyone here did in the 02 WS with dusty. I know from that experience that there are no guarantees in baseball.