PDA

View Full Version : My final post

EMAW
10-11-2012, 07:17 PM
Am well aware I will be banned for not bashing Dusty Baker so here goes.

It is absolutely ridiculous and idiotic that so many people want to get rid of a manager who has led this team to the playoffs twice in three years. The Reds were the absolute joke of baseball before Dusty arrived and are now a legit contender.

Be careful what all you haters wish for. A new manager may give you a better OBP guy leading off but doubtful he will be able to get guys to run through walls like Dusty did. Injury to Votto for almost 50 games, season ending injury to Madson before ever pitching and this team wins almost 100 games.

I remember back in 2005 when my beloved Kansas State Wildcats went away from the tried and true formula of Bill Snyder and a trainwreck occurred, chemistry sucked, players were miserable and the wheels came off in a hurry.

The same thing can (and I predict will) happen to this fragile group. The Reds are not nearly as talented as all the Baker haters claim. Dusty got great mileage out of this team and all he got was hatred and second guessing.

RedTruck
10-11-2012, 07:22 PM

It is absolutely ridiculous and idiotic that so many people want to get rid of a manager who has led this team to the playoffs twice in three years. The Reds were the absolute joke of baseball before Dusty arrived and are now a legit contender.

Be careful what all you haters wish for. A new manager may give you a better OBP guy leading off but doubtful he will be able to get guys to run through walls like Dusty did. Injury to Votto for almost 50 games, season ending injury to Madson before ever pitching and this team wins almost 100 games.

I remember back in 2005 when my beloved Kansas State Wildcats went away from the tried and true formula of Bill Snyder and a trainwreck occurred, chemistry sucked, players were miserable and the wheels came off in a hurry.

The same thing can (and I predict will) happen to this fragile group. The Reds are not nearly as talented as all the Baker haters claim. Dusty got great mileage out of this team and all he got was hatred and second guessing.

Do you truly think that a manager alone can win 97 games?

Like Tracey Jones said, when the 1991 team lost 102 games with Sparky Anderson under the helm, they didn't lose because Sparky was a bad manager, but because the players stinked.

Look how Bochey managed the game. There was constant urgency, always was there a arm warming in the bullpen..with Dusty, he just took it so nonchalantly. Look at leake. Look at latos. Look at arredondo.

This is his staple and i'm tired of it.

dubc47834
10-11-2012, 07:25 PM
EMAW...i hear ya man!!!

ukwazoo
10-11-2012, 07:28 PM
Jocketty said he expects all coaches to be back next year. Don't take your ball and go home yet.

webbbj
10-11-2012, 07:30 PM
I believe Dusty does alot of good that you will never see by the moves he makes in a game. Could we get dual managers? Dusty be the psychologist and motivator. And someone else to fill out lineups and manage games.

George Bland
10-11-2012, 07:36 PM

Like Tracey Jones said, when the 1991 team lost 102 games with Sparky Anderson under the helm, they didn't lose because Sparky was a bad manager, but because the players stinked.

Look how Bochey managed the game. There was constant urgency, always was there a arm warming in the bullpen..with Dusty, he just took it so nonchalantly. Look at leake. Look at latos. Look at arredondo.

My memory must be gone, Sparky, 1991? Huh?

RedTruck
10-11-2012, 07:41 PM
My memory must be gone, Sparky, 1991? Huh?

:p

boiseheidleberg
10-11-2012, 08:12 PM

And when the '90 Reds won it all with John McNamara it wasn't Johnny Mc who won all dem games.

Seat5
10-11-2012, 09:07 PM
Dusty is a good baseball man but he just is not a very good post-season manager.

Seat5
10-11-2012, 09:09 PM
And when the '90 Reds won it all with John McNamara it wasn't Johnny Mc who won all dem games.

I think you mean Lou Pinella.

mrherd05
10-11-2012, 09:10 PM
What wall did Dusty get Cueto to run through the past week? thats right..no wall at all.

Over da Pence
10-11-2012, 09:12 PM

I agree. Maybe instead of bashing everyone tip your hat to the Giants. You would have beat any other NL team. Why blame Dusty for?

boiseheidleberg
10-11-2012, 09:27 PM
I think you mean Lou Pinella.

That was in reply to RedTruck who cited Sparky as the 1990 manager.

Seat5
10-11-2012, 09:29 PM
That was in reply to RedTruck who cited Sparky as the 1990 manager.

opps.

boiseheidleberg
10-11-2012, 09:30 PM
opps.

Actually cited sparky as the 91 manager.

Krawhitham
10-11-2012, 09:34 PM

I'm think it had more to do with the 400 million the owner dropped on good players than it did Dustyball

Ironman92
10-12-2012, 12:10 AM
....and the guy least likely to run through a wall played the most

I despise the Cardinals....but they play it all out way more than the Reds....as do the hated Yankees full of completely proven guys that don't typically do that.

Dusty didn't have any single player play hard that wouldn't play hard for anyone.

Dusty's postseason blues are tough to match. Managed 19 seasons....zero championships but 3 monumental collapses, with this one maybe being the worst of them all.

BurgervilleBuck
10-12-2012, 01:43 AM

Damn straight. It was Vern Rapp!

dubc47834
10-12-2012, 09:43 AM
I'm think it had more to do with the 400 million the owner dropped on good players than it did Dustyball

Most of that 400 million was already on the team...get your facts straight homie!!!!

alwaysawarrior
10-12-2012, 09:57 AM
Someone posted somewhere else yesterday that Dusty is great for the marathon of the regular season and terrible with the sprint of the postseason. I am to lazy to look for who said it but I think they were spot on. Game 4 felt like Dusty was running out the "b" lineup. I was at the game on Wednesday and told the friend I went with before they started that we would lose the next two games. You just can't punt away a game in the postseason and get away with it.
That being said I don't know how I feel about Dusty returning. I guess I could go either way. He does some things that make me curse, but he also gets more out of some guys than I think he should, and there is something to be said for that

Rantly
10-12-2012, 10:05 AM
Someone posted somewhere else yesterday that Dusty is great for the marathon of the regular season and terrible with the sprint of the postseason. I am to lazy to look for who said it but I think they were spot on. Game 4 felt like Dusty was running out the "b" lineup. I was at the game on Wednesday and told the friend I went with before they started that we would lose the next two games. You just can't punt away a game in the postseason and get away with it.
That being said I don't know how I feel about Dusty returning. I guess I could go either way. He does some things that make me curse, but he also gets more out of some guys than I think he should, and there is something to be said for that

Excellent Point. I felt the same way about game 4
He seemed to be saving for Game 5

osuredleg24
10-12-2012, 11:06 AM
anytime you put arrendondo in a 2 run game tells me you're giving up the game and saving for game 5...this is something you do in July...why not have Arroyo warming, or Bailey? Giants were throwing the book, doing everything

Rantly
10-12-2012, 12:45 PM
anytime you put arrendondo in a 2 run game tells me you're giving up the game and saving for game 5...this is something you do in July...why not have Arroyo warming, or Bailey? Giants were throwing the book, doing everything

I'm not one for bringing in starters in relief, but should have went with big 3 relievers, it was the 7th inning when arrendondo came in

tsj017
10-12-2012, 01:23 PM
My biggest problem with Dusty in this series is that he was managing like it was July or August instead of October.

The b-team lineup in Game 4? Sure, I understand that's what he's done all season in day games following night games. But it's not July or August.

No quick hook for Latos yesterday? No Arroyo or Homer in relief? They had to win; you can't worry about the next series or the next game in that situation.

Ultimately, though, they lost because they left their bats in San Francisco. 39 runners left on base in 5 games ain't gonna get it done.

In hindsight, Game 3 killed them. 9 innings of 1 run, 1 hit pitching? You really, REALLY should win that game. But they couldn't muster a second run. All downhill from there.

alwaysawarrior
10-12-2012, 01:44 PM
My biggest problem with Dusty in this series is that he was managing like it was July or August instead of October.

The b-team lineup in Game 4? Sure, I understand that's what he's done all season in day games following night games. But it's not July or August.

No quick hook for Latos yesterday? No Arroyo or Homer in relief? They had to win; you can't worry about the next series or the next game in that situation.

Ultimately, though, they lost because they left their bats in San Francisco. 39 runners left on base in 5 games ain't gonna get it done.

In hindsight, Game 3 killed them. 9 innings of 1 run, 1 hit pitching? You really, REALLY should win that game. But they couldn't muster a second run. All downhill from there.

Agree with all of this...what Dusty doesn't matter if anyone can get a hit on Tuesday night, but I don't think they had any sense of urgency until they were down 6 yesterday.

DocRed
10-12-2012, 02:31 PM

Was curious about this as well so I looked up his post-season stats.

19-25 in post season games
3-6 in post season series (including 2-4 in the first round)