PDA

View Full Version : Is it sinking in for anyone else RIGHT NOW too?

Wonderful Monds
10-11-2012, 10:18 PM
Maybe it was because I was overwhelmed by the excitement of being at the most intense GABP crowd ever, but it's taken a good 5 hours for the reality of our series to set in.

Man. This doesn't feel good.

kbrake
10-11-2012, 10:25 PM
Yeah this one hurts bad.

Ghosts of 1990
10-11-2012, 10:37 PM
I'm completely devastated about it to be honest. I will never forget this. I'm not sure ill ever fully latch on hope of a team winning it all again. If this team couldn't do it I'm not sure what it will take. More luck I suppose. I am completely crushed.

KittyDuran
10-11-2012, 10:37 PM
Maybe it was because I was overwhelmed by the excitement of being at the most intense GABP crowd ever, but it's taken a good 5 hours for the reality of our series to set in.

Man. This doesn't feel good.I'll probably feel it tomorrow morning at work... but I drowned my sorrows with some ice cream tonight... :)

Vottomatic
10-11-2012, 10:40 PM
Meh. I was over it immediately after. I love the Reds but I was prepared if they lost. It just seemed like it wasn't meant to be.

Phhhl
10-11-2012, 10:41 PM
I would feel a lot worse if I couldn't see how good this team is from top to bottom, and how little it will take to make it even better next year. If I thought it was a one time deal, I would be much more miserable about it. But, this team should easily be the favorites to win the Division again next year. And, as we see with the new playoff format, in contention all year even if they don't.

Painful? Yes. Devastating? No.

kbrake
10-11-2012, 10:45 PM
I'm completely devastated about it to be honest. I will never forget this. I'm not sure ill ever fully latch on hope of a team winning it all again. If this team couldn't do it I'm not sure what it will take. More luck I suppose. I am completely crushed.

No offense man, I know you are crushed and I am too but I don't think you ever fully latched on hope of this team winning it all. You seemed pretty damn sure we were doomed in April and still seemed that way at the start of the playoffs.

Matt700wlw
10-11-2012, 10:51 PM
I think it's going to sink in more in a couple of days when I don't get to turn on the radio or TV and enjoy Reds baseball.

They become a routine for your day, and a part of your life from Spring Training in February until the end, whenever that is. Even the bad teams, it's tough to let go. Now the good ones, the playoff ones? It's almost cruel.

This team has a bright future. They have a young, talented core of players, and are primed to make a run for the next several years.

This summer was one of the best in a long time. It ended short, it ended poorly, and it hurts bad. That's because we're fans.

This organization is in good hands.

I can't wait until Spring Training.

dougdirt
10-11-2012, 10:53 PM
Sinking in? It sunk in after we lost game 3. More so after game 4. Today was just waiting to happen. Cincinnati sports suck. I hate them. Well, I wish I could hate them. I am to stupid not to hate them unfortunately.

Caveat Emperor
10-11-2012, 11:05 PM
Yeah, it set in for me as soon as they announced Mike Leake as the starter for Game 4.

It's depressing, because it feels like the Reds are never going to take the next step. I feel like this was the best shot at winning it all this team will have for a while. They had incredible health in the rotation, they had some historically bad teams at the bottom of their division to beat up on, and their number 1 competitor (St. Louis) lost their 1 starter (Chris Carpenter).

1990 gets further and further in the rear view mirror every year.

dsmith421
10-11-2012, 11:09 PM
Yeah, it set in for me as soon as they announced Mike Leake as the starter for Game 4.

It's depressing, because it feels like the Reds are never going to take the next step. I feel like this was the best shot at winning it all this team will have for a while. They had incredible health in the rotation, they had some historically bad teams at the bottom of their division to beat up on, and their number 1 competitor (St. Louis) lost their 1 starter (Chris Carpenter).

1990 gets further and further in the rear view mirror every year.

Down the line. This year was the chance. Unless the Reds produce a few more Cueto/Votto types or dramatically increase payroll, they won't get a better chance.

Yankees sketchy, Rangers eliminated, Cards hobbled, Phillies out of the playoffs. That's a perfect storm. And the Reds, poised to take advantage, produced one of the most abject chokes in the history of playoff baseball. Good God.

Superdude
10-11-2012, 11:20 PM
I think it's going to sink in more in a couple of days when I don't get to turn on the radio or TV and enjoy Reds baseball.

They become a routine for your day, and a part of your life from Spring Training in February until the end, whenever that is. Even the bad teams, it's tough to let go. Now the good ones, the playoff ones? It's almost cruel.

Same for me. I'm confident this won't be our last rodeo, but something about walking out of that park today was tough. That last inning was just electric like I've never felt in a ballpark, and for a minute, I thought we had it in us to pull it out. Such a strange, abrupt ending to the whole thing when Rolen swung and missed on that last slider. This team is good, they'll be back, but I think it's gonna hit me tomorrow when I come home and realize there's no more Reds for six months. :(

WVPacman
10-11-2012, 11:27 PM
Im glad I was gone and did'nt get to watch.This has to be one of the biggest choke jobs ever in Reds history.This team had it all from great hitting to great pitching.To have a 2-0 lead and going home and not be able to win one game is considered choking in my book.Very dissapointed!!:thumbdown:

Degenerate39
10-11-2012, 11:29 PM
Get 'em next year

Wonderful Monds
10-11-2012, 11:31 PM

This team has a bright future. They have a young, talented core of players, and are primed to make a run for the next several years.

This summer was one of the best in a long time. It ended short, it ended poorly, and it hurts bad. That's because we're fans.

This organization is in good hands.

I can't wait until Spring Training.

That was the biggest gut punch as I left GABP today. For whatever reason I felt even before the NLDS that the Reds had it. Then of course up 2-0 coming home I was 110% absolutely certain we were playing more baseball. I wasn't ready to say goodbye to the Reds yet, not this soon.

Cedric
10-11-2012, 11:34 PM
I felt like this season was most likely over when I realized Mike Leake was going to start a game four. Expecting the Reds to come back and win today against Matt Cain was unreasonable, IMO. I was prepared for today and wasn't overly upset.

savafan
10-12-2012, 01:38 AM
I'm still sitting here hours later, numb, unable to sleep.

OnBaseMachine
10-12-2012, 01:43 AM
I'm feeling so down and devastated right now. It hurts like crazy. I really thought this team was going deep in the playoffs after the way they played in San Francisco.

Wonderful Monds
10-12-2012, 01:50 AM
I'm feeling so down and devastated right now. It hurts like crazy. I really thought this team was going deep in the playoffs after the way they played in San Francisco.

Same man. Hell I thought that way back in August.

I had nightmares about a collapse like this happening, and I brushed it off like it was a crazy dream. So yeah, this experience has been literally a nightmare scenario for me!

reds44
10-12-2012, 02:08 AM
It just hurts that's it's over. I seriously watched 4-5 games a week for the entire season. That's 6 months, and now there's just nothing to look forward. It was a hell of a season, but for it to be over and end like that, it's just tough to deal with. What am I going to gamecast when I'm out on a Saturday night now? It's just an empty feeling.

Still love em though.

Wonderful Monds
10-12-2012, 02:24 AM
It just hurts that's it's over. I seriously watched 4-5 games a week for the entire season. That's 6 months, and now there's just nothing to look forward. It was a hell of a season, but for it to be over and end like that, it's just tough to deal with. What am I going to gamecast when I'm out on a Saturday night now? It's just an empty feeling.

Still love em though.

I think that's my biggest thing too. It was over within a couple weeks at the most anyway from now, but I definitely hadn't even come close to making my peace with closing the book on the 2012 Reds this early at all.

Tom Servo
10-12-2012, 04:05 AM
Tossing and turning instead of sleeping, thinking about where it went wrong, it is sinking in now.

gilpdawg
10-12-2012, 07:01 AM
I felt like this season was most likely over when I realized Mike Leake was going to start a game four. Expecting the Reds to come back and win today against Matt Cain was unreasonable, IMO. I was prepared for today and wasn't overly upset.
I was in that boat. Until the ninth inning. They sucked me back in, so that made it that much worse when the inevitable happened.

This is why baseball is awesome. I felt physically ill until about 8 o'clock last night after that. I'm a huge Colts fan, as some of you may already know, and they've suffered their share of disappointing playoff losses. None of those hit me as hard as this. No other sport, not football, not basketball, can make me feel emotions the way baseball can. I would gladly trade that Colts Super Bowl ring for a Reds World Series.

Baseball is the best thing ever. But I hate it right now.

PuffyPig
10-12-2012, 07:09 AM

Yeah, expecting them to beat Cain in a game at home, when they've already beated Cain 3 times this year, was certainly unreasonable.....

And Cain didn't beat us today, Posey did.

Cedric
10-12-2012, 07:50 AM
Yeah, expecting them to beat Cain in a game at home, when they've already beated Cain 3 times this year, was certainly unreasonable.....

And Cain didn't beat us today, Posey did.

I didn't say anything about what actually beat us. I was speaking on my mindset and I didn't say it was right either. I respectfully gave my opinion and don't exactly appreciate your rude and condescending tone. Be respectful of people more often bud. I suspect you attempt to bully the way people post on here. You won't do that with me.

Caveat Emperor
10-12-2012, 08:25 AM
The other hard part is this -- I thought 2010 was going to be the start of something great.

Then 2011 happened.

I don't want to sit through another 2011.

Roy Tucker
10-12-2012, 08:37 AM
I don't know about you guys, but this is why I'm a fan. They were in the playoffs, they had a shot, but they failed. We could be a Cubs fan and sitting at home wondering about maybe 2015.

But that's life. You can't experience the highs without experiencing the lows. These experiences don't come along often. You take them as they are, experiece them, recognize them, assimiliate them into you body of life experiences and you go on.

I thought this last week was fantastic and put me through all the highs and lows a fan can have. I've been surprised, giddy, amazed, anxious, worried, nervous, befuddled and ultimately crestfallen and crushed. But I'm glad to have had all those things. It's a fans life and I wouldn't trade the last week in for a million bucks.

Caveat Emperor
10-12-2012, 08:53 AM
The problem is, if you're in your mid-late 20s or younger, you have nothing but lows as a Reds fan.

1990 is getting pretty far in the rear-view -- I was 9 when that happened. Every memory I've had since then has been depressing: losing seasons, missed opportunities, playoff chokes.

You start to wonder "If not now, when?" There are no guarantees for a small market club carrying success from year to year. The margin for error is simply too slim.

George Anderson
10-12-2012, 09:52 AM
I am focusing on other things.

Colts

Pacers

My kids sports

Reruns of old sitcoms on Netflix.

coachw513
10-12-2012, 09:55 AM
So many threads to post this in, figured I'd go here...

Though I rarely post, I "live" here during the season, every single day...and I doubt anyone but you guys would understand my thoughts and feelings...

I am both pained and proud...sports are so cruel sometimes...164 games of joy followed by 3 tough, bitter pills in a row...and like that, it's over...so like the players, I will "pack up" my baseball jones and put it away for 6 months (I'm one of those done with baseball for the year guys)...

But as crushing as Cueto's injury, Votto's inability to drive the ball, the weight of 2 errors that we never see, and a touch of youth and inexperience showing with Latos I am finding myself feeling an incredible euphoria over not only the season but yesterday's game in particular...and that's weird...

I left work early and watched the game with my daughters at a local sports bar...we hung on every pitch...and the top of the 5th was hard to watch...but then I got to watch why I REALLY enjoyed this team and this season...they simply play the game the right way until the very last strike...

Every inning we competed, from the incredible relief pitching to getting big hit after big hit even in the shadows...the crowd willing the team with a passion and intensity that I've never seen before...and I just knew, just knew that Bruce's AB would be the one...be the one to send us all into a frenzy that we've experienced so rarely...

I'm old enough to remember almost all of it...starting with Rudi's catch in '72, all the way thru now...and for me, a virtual native Floridian, watching from afar, on tv, radio or the internet...

Foul ball, foul ball, foul ball...with each suceeding pitch my girls and I edged closer to the screen...we reminded ourselves of his walkoff in '10, Dunn's GS walkoff and the win over the Diamondbacks earlier this year...it was going to happen...it had to happen...

And of course, it didn't happen...and I kindof knew that Rolen was star-crossed somehow, that it would end there with him...another painful type of trajedy...

My youngest left with tears in her eyes...and it was easily the most intense 2 hours (from 5th inning on) of sports TV I've witnessed in while (Lakers-Celtics Game 7 2 years ago is the only thing I can think of for me in a LONG while)...

And maybe the way we lost was cathartic for me...I'm old enough to know I can't sulk and pout, but it still hurts...but wow, I got such incredible pleasure watching this team (and yes, this manager) all year...

We lost with the dignity and effort and character reserved for champions...and although I have 6 months of waiting for this yearly exodus to resume, I will dwell on the last 4.5 innings of our season with tremendous pride and happiness that I have the priviledge of being a Red's fan...

Thanks also to this site and to you for being my BFF's each year :)

Kc61
10-12-2012, 09:59 AM
I am more irritated today than yesterday.

The only game they "should" have lost is game 4. They made a decision to use Leake which was within reason, and it was a losing game from the outset.

I've been a critic of the offense since April (actually since mid-2011) and the offense failed in Game 3.

Latos failed in game 5, and a more aggressive manager would have pulled him before the Posey home run. Regular season, no, but in a do or die game, yes.

Cueto injury was a big blow, but they still could have won the series.

Yesterday, I felt sorry for the team. Today, I want some changes because next year the Reds will likely have a tougher schedule (Astros out of the division) and things may not be so easy for them.

CrackerJack
10-12-2012, 01:20 PM
Should've swept the first 3 games, offense blew it, and never really showed up again after coming home.

.110 BA with RISP?

39 runners LOB?

No EBH's from Votto

Making the first out at 3rd twice in the series? Cmon.

Dusty leaving Latos and Leake in too long as he managed the home games like he still had 100 games to play this season.

--------------------

They need a new hitting coach, a new approach, they've failed miserably in two post season series now with him and I've seen enough.

Better find a sixth starter for rotation depth, a good LF, and preferably a new CF who can lead-off, as well as some better infield depth on the bench.

There's no excuse for Walt to sit on his hands and just go after the Cairo's and Valdez's of the world, what a waste that would be.

I'm also tired of Dusty, great guy, good player's manager, would probably do well in New York or Boston or Texas, and go further than he would here.

steig
10-12-2012, 02:22 PM
I can hardly eat anything today, my stomach feels that low right now.

MikeS21
10-12-2012, 02:39 PM
Should've swept the first 3 games, offense blew it, and never really showed up again after coming home.

.110 BA with RISP?

39 runners LOB?

No EBH's from Votto

Making the first out at 3rd twice in the series? Cmon.

Dusty leaving Latos and Leake in too long as he managed the home games like he still had 100 games to play this season.

--------------------

They need a new hitting coach, a new approach, they've failed miserably in two post season series now with him and I've seen enough.

Better find a sixth starter for rotation depth, a good LF, and preferably a new CF who can lead-off, as well as some better infield depth on the bench.

There's no excuse for Walt to sit on his hands and just go after the Cairo's and Valdez's of the world, what a waste that would be.

I'm also tired of Dusty, great guy, good player's manager, would probably do well in New York or Boston or Texas, and go further than he would here.
Blame Dusty for Games 4 and 5 (I don't) if you want, but this series was lost in Game 3. With the game Bailey pitched, the Reds should have won that game.

You nailed it with the the RISP stat That was the problem. Even in Game 5, the team could have pulled it out with better hitting with RISP.

I was most disappointed in Votto's performance in this series. Even though his OBP was .500 during the post-season, he just never looked comfortable. He never got untracked after coming off the DL. The most telling stat to me was that during this series, Votto was the ONLY position starter who had ZERO RBI's (other than Navarro). Considering the two guys hitting in front of him combined had an OBP of .345+, and the two guys hitting behind him had a combined OPS around .950, I guess I expected more production out of Votto.

I agree they need a new hitting coach, but I'm fine with keeping Dusty. With a new hitting coach, I'd even keep Stubbs around another year. At least Hamilton may be ready for CF by 2014.

Cyclone792
10-12-2012, 02:48 PM
Still feeling pretty bummed and disappointed.

I had a bad feeling in my stomach after the 10th inning Tuesday night. I sat up in the upper deck and knew I had that bad feeling when in about a five minute span I watched an excellent defensive catcher allow a passed ball followed by one of the greatest defensive third basemen of all-time making an error. The odds of those two players making those two mistakes back-to-back ... something didn't feel quite right.

That said, probably the biggest feeling right now is that I'll simply miss the Reds. I'll miss being able to go down to GABP to watch them 3-4 times each month. I'll miss being able to flip on the TV on a nightly basis to watch them, just as I did many nights these last six months. Even on nights I'd be out doing something else, I'll miss the opportunity to catch a glimpse of a game wherever I'm at, be it a sports bar, restaurant, etc.

The Reds become a fixture in your life, and just like that, they're gone, not to return for another five months.

Sunday might be pretty rough too when the NLCS starts. I'm sure I'll watch at least part of Game 1. I'll turn on the TV and quickly realize that I was thisclose to being able to watch the Reds again, but instead of watching the Reds it'll be the Giants and somebody else.

Sure, I'll watch a good chunk of the remaining playoff games but even those games will be over in three weeks too. Part of baseball's beauty is its routine, day after day style through the season. But man, it sure is tough to move on each fall when it's over.

RedsManRick
10-12-2012, 07:01 PM
From the moment Cueto walked off the mound I felt like the season ended. Not logically, of course. Especially after Game 2, it was hard to imagine we'd lose 3 in a row. And yet, the storm clouds were on the horizon. The Cueto diagnosis was still being debated and the question about Game 4 was still lingering.

Phillips' over-zealous base-running in Game 3 was another signal to me. It felt like the errors last year. It was the kind of mistake we largely didn't make during the regular season. Then you had the 10th inning. It just never felt right to me after the first inning of Game 1. Sure, some of that is hindsight and confirmation bias. But the feeling is real.

The closest thing I can think of that this reminds me of is when Baker got hired. I (infamously) went off about how it was the worst thing to happen to the Reds in my lifetime. I had been so optimistic and then I felt like the rug was just pulled out from under me. I was despondent. Obviously, in hindsight, that was a slight overreaction. But I was just terribly disappointed.

And that's how I feel now. It was a reminder that it can all fall apart at any time. Nothing is given. If your team is merely average you should win a championship once every 30 years. It's been just 22. How long will this window last? You only get so many bites at the apple.

In American sports, as Ricky Bobby would say, "If you ain't first, you're last". It feels like we're last and it still hurts. But I'm starting to get over it. In the next couple weeks, that hurt will turn in to excitement for the off-season and its possibilities. That will likely turn in to frustration that Walt isn't doing anything big as some deck chairs shuffle and Chapman gets left at closer. That will turn in to impatience that Spring Training is too far away. And that will be followed by a Spring Training that never ends. But that will followed by opening day. And that will be followed by 6 and hopefully 7 months of Reds baseball.

That's where I'm at. I'm sure I'll continue to be my typical pessimistic and annoyingly analytic self. But I'll carry with me a less than rational twinge of what might have been.

Roy Tucker
10-13-2012, 10:02 PM
That said, probably the biggest feeling right now is that I'll simply miss the Reds. I'll miss being able to go down to GABP to watch them 3-4 times each month. I'll miss being able to flip on the TV on a nightly basis to watch them, just as I did many nights these last six months. Even on nights I'd be out doing something else, I'll miss the opportunity to catch a glimpse of a game wherever I'm at, be it a sports bar, restaurant, etc.

The Reds become a fixture in your life, and just like that, they're gone, not to return for another five months.

Yeah, me too. I wasn't ready for this season to be over. The end came too fast.

I came home tonight and almost changed channels to 1309 to see the Reds play and then I went "crap, no more Reds".

:(:(:(:(

Roy Tucker
10-14-2012, 01:55 PM
It breaks my heart because it was meant to, because it was meant to foster in me again the illusion that there was something abiding, some pattern and some impulse that could come together to make a reality that would resist the corrosion; and because, after it had fostered again that most hungered-for illusion, the game was meant to stop, and betray precisely what it promised.

Of course, there are those who learn after the first few times. They grow out of sports. And there are others who were born with the wisdom to know that nothing lasts. These are the truly tough among us, the ones who can live without illusion, or without even the hope of illusion. I am not that grown-up or up-to-date. I am a simpler creature, tied to more primitive patterns and cycles. I need to think something lasts forever, and it might as well be that state of being that is a game; it might as well be that, in a green field, in the sun.

From A Great and Glorious Game: Baseball Writings of A. Bartlett
Giamatti, 1998 by A. Bartlett Giamatti.

Captain Hook
10-14-2012, 02:23 PM
Down the line. This year was the chance. Unless the Reds produce a few more Cueto/Votto types or dramatically increase payroll, they won't get a better chance.

Yankees sketchy, Rangers eliminated, Cards hobbled, Phillies out of the playoffs. That's a perfect storm. And the Reds, poised to take advantage, produced one of the most abject chokes in the history of playoff baseball. Good God.

I really don't get this line of thinking. I see no reason why the Reds won't continue to be one of the top dogs in baseball going forward. They don't need to produce a few more Cueto/Votto types because they have the real thing locked up.

Caveat Emperor
10-14-2012, 07:29 PM
I really don't get this line of thinking. I see no reason why the Reds won't continue to be one of the top dogs in baseball going forward. They don't need to produce a few more Cueto/Votto types because they have the real thing locked up.

And the real things weren't enough. They need more if they want to take the next step.

kbrake
10-14-2012, 08:30 PM
And the real things weren't enough. They need more if they want to take the next step.

One of the real things was hurt and didn't contribute so maybe this team, if healthy, is enough.

Wonderful Monds
10-14-2012, 08:47 PM
One of the real things was hurt and didn't contribute so maybe this team, if healthy, is enough.

A couple of the realest things actually.

If any team's real things were as injured as ours they'd likely have done much worse

Patrick Bateman
10-14-2012, 08:52 PM

It wasn't enough THAT time. You could replay that series 100 times at the Reds likely win greater than 50%.

That doesn't mean the same group is incapable of winning it all.

Caveat Emperor
10-14-2012, 09:15 PM

You wanna take a bet on whether or not they get 161 starts out of 5 guys next year?

They made the mistake of not adding talent after 2010. They shouldn't make the same mistake twice.

George Foster
10-14-2012, 09:15 PM
I live in central Kentucky. We mounted a nice am/fm radio under our cabinet. For some reason it picks up 700wlw great. The only radio in the house that will pick it up.

It's my job to load and un-load the dishwasher. I miss listening to the post game show after watching the games on tv. This has been my routine since April. I might of missed 10 games all season. It made a bad job go a lot faster. I really enjoyed just being by myself in the kitchen listening to the radio.

It really sunk in friday night....it will be a long, cold winter.

Crumbley
10-15-2012, 05:14 PM
I live in central Kentucky. We mounted a nice am/fm radio under our cabinet. For some reason it picks up 700wlw great. The only radio in the house that will pick it up.

It's my job to load and un-load the dishwasher. I miss listening to the post game show after watching the games on tv. This has been my routine since April. I might of missed 10 games all season. It made a bad job go a lot faster. I really enjoyed just being by myself in the kitchen listening to the radio.

It really sunk in friday night....it will be a long, cold winter.
I flipped to FSO at 7 the other night. Oh yeah.