PDA

View Full Version : Off season topic: What to do with Chapman

VirginiaPreps
10-13-2012, 08:23 AM
Many Reds fans want to see Chapman in the starting rotation.
- that is why the Reds signed him, to start
- the general feeling is that starters have more 'value' than even the best closer
- Chapman, if a #1/#2 type starter would give the Reds one of the best rotations in baseball (along with Cueto, Latos, Bailey, Arroyo)
- Many baseball 'experts' agree that a balanced starting rotation has at least one lefty (see Chapman)

While many of us would like to see Chapman in the starting rotation, it seems to be a fair consensus that given his success as a closer this past season, the Reds are likely to leave him in that role.

Q1. If the Reds were to move Chapman to the starting rotation, come next August / September would they not be faced with the same situation that the Nationals just had with Strasburg, re; innings count?

Q2. If you start a pitcher out as a reliever, it is very difficult to switch him to the rotation mid-season, but wouldn't be easier to take a starter to the bullpen?

Personally I don't think the Reds are likely to make a change in Chapman's role. He did too good a job at closing. Walt will say "If it ain't broke, don't try and fix it."

Your thoughts?

texasdave
10-13-2012, 08:27 AM
I think Chapman stays in the bullpen. And I also think you will only see cosmetic changes with this club over the winter.

goreds2
10-13-2012, 08:41 AM
We need a lefthanded starter in the rotation and it should be Chapman. Broxton, Hoover and co. can do the job out of the pen.

faffy42
10-13-2012, 07:09 PM
Keep Chappy as closer. He could be good/great for many yrs ahead...like mariano.

malcontent
10-13-2012, 08:30 PM
Should continue as closer, IMO.

Probably the biggest reason team won 97.

And several reasons why moving him to starter could back-fire.

Ironman92
10-13-2012, 08:44 PM
Not ever trying him as a starter is a colossal mistake....not saying when, but I'd have to try it.

Convert him in preseason and let him start thru about June......then move him to the pen....whatever, but starter is way more important than closer.

redsrolen
10-13-2012, 09:25 PM
Not ever trying him as a starter is a colossal mistake....not saying when, but I'd have to try it.

Convert him in preseason and let him start thru about June......then move him to the pen....whatever, but starter is way more important than closer.

I just can't see him going that long without hurting himself & ruining his career or getting wild...Sure is nice having a shut down closer...Always so envious of the Yanks having 'Rivera' just no way anyone had a chance....That is huge....

foxfire123
10-13-2012, 10:24 PM
I wonder if Chapman would have the stamina to pitch as a starter? I'd like to see them try him, but with his velocity and throwing action, would he be able to consistently go 6-7 innings?

Tuff Nut
10-13-2012, 10:30 PM
I think alot will depend on Madsen....Is he still leaning toward committing, or leaving? Thought I heard he would love to stay, and willing to work on a deal. If he leaves, Chapman remains as closer. Sign Madsen, and Chappy moves to rotation, much like he was slated, at the end of this past spring.

Ironman92
10-13-2012, 10:32 PM
How can we ever know?

Who was hands down our best starter in spring training?

There just isn't any harm in seeing if he is Randy Johnson....or David Price.

redsrolen
10-13-2012, 10:51 PM
How can we ever know?

Who was hands down our best starter in spring training?

There just isn't any harm in seeing if he is Randy Johnson....or David Price.

No harm at all...Since he's one of a kind just makes me nervous...I guess I want to protect hat 'golden arm'...;)

malcontent
10-13-2012, 10:53 PM
I wonder if Chapman would have the stamina to pitch as a starter? I'd like to see them try him, but with his velocity and throwing action, would he be able to consistently go 6-7 innings?
Legit question. I also think he'd be lucky to go 6 or 7 considering his relative lack of control and the lack of contact hitters make against him.

As it is, batters swing at a lot of stuff out of the zone because they're psyched up facing him. If/when he starts, I think they're going to be much more patient and his pitch counts are going to prevent him from going deep in games. Then when you factor in that he would only pitch once every five games, I think it's a no-brainer.

I used to think he should start, but I'm completely against it now.

birdsonthebat
10-13-2012, 10:54 PM
Trade him to the Yankees for A-Rod

R_Webb18
10-13-2012, 11:10 PM
Trade him to the Yankees for A-Rod

OUCH

RedTruck
10-13-2012, 11:48 PM
Many Reds fans want to see Chapman in the starting rotation.
- that is why the Reds signed him, to start
- the general feeling is that starters have more 'value' than even the best closer
- Chapman, if a #1/#2 type starter would give the Reds one of the best rotations in baseball (along with Cueto, Latos, Bailey, Arroyo)
- Many baseball 'experts' agree that a balanced starting rotation has at least one lefty (see Chapman)

While many of us would like to see Chapman in the starting rotation, it seems to be a fair consensus that given his success as a closer this past season, the Reds are likely to leave him in that role.

Q1. If the Reds were to move Chapman to the starting rotation, come next August / September would they not be faced with the same situation that the Nationals just had with Strasburg, re; innings count?

Q2. If you start a pitcher out as a reliever, it is very difficult to switch him to the rotation mid-season, but wouldn't be easier to take a starter to the bullpen?

Personally I don't think the Reds are likely to make a change in Chapman's role. He did too good a job at closing. Walt will say "If it ain't broke, don't try and fix it."

Your thoughts?

I would like to see Chapman as a starter. Look at verlander during game 5 vs the A's. He shut down the opposition.

I truly think that Chapman could develop into a similar pitcher like Verlander. If he develops a few more pitches during the offseason he could truly be a perennial all star, and 15-20 game winner.

A closer is indeed important, but you have to ask? What is more valuable, 200 innings of a starter, or 70/80 innings of a closer?

Plus a rotation of Cueto, Latos, Bailey, Chapman, and Arroyo pretty much equates to the Phillies rotation of Lee, Hamels, and Halladay IMO.

DocRed
10-14-2012, 12:07 AM
I'm sorry but this is a no brainer. As good as he was as a closer his impact will be so much more as a starter. A great starter is worth 2-3 times that of a great closer, and MLB salaries will show that. We have several guys that could be adequate closers as well, and closers are overrated anyways. If he isn't moved to starter next year this will be another epic fail by the management.

Take these numbers for instance...

Aroldis Chapman 2012 WAR 3.6
Bronson Arroyo 2012 WAR 3.4

Kinda suprising huh?

10-14-2012, 12:17 AM
The very best closers are more valuable than most 'above average' starters. This year, Kimbrel and Chapman were a class above all others. But, as dominating as Chapman is, I worry about durability. I also think it too early to yet determine whether he can sustain true greatness more than a few years. Arm fatigue is a squishy injury. What else will happen down the road?

If I had better than 75% confidence Chapman could be durable and build on the successes of 2012 for a decade or so, then you're talking Mariano Rivera altitude. A closer like that is gold for a team.

Keeping Chapman as closer doesn't stress him as much as starting would. Why not pick up or promote a strong LH starter? Could see that along with the CFer being the top 2 needs for off season.

50YrRedsFan
10-14-2012, 01:16 AM
Before Chapman could even think of being a starter, he would have to learn how to throw strikes with 3 different pitches. How many games did we see him throw only a fastball. He can't throw his curve for strikes, and wouldn't throw it during games. I have never seen a 3rd pitch from him. How many times did he have trouble with walking people? Plenty. He would need to develop a change up. Right now, he is successful because he rarely throws more than 1 inning, so hitters facing him see him only once. Major league hitters would quickly be on him the second time around in a game. Even at 100 mph. With only one pitch, he wouldn't last long as a starter. It will take much more than 1 winter and spring training to get him ready to start.

VirginiaPreps
10-14-2012, 06:26 AM
I doubt Madsen comes back.

He came to the Reds for 2012, on a discounted deal (he didn't have many options) knowing as the Reds closer he would have the opportunity to rack up a ton of saves, which he could parlay into a big deal for 2013.

With Chapman solid in the pen, the Reds probably won't be an attractive option for Madsen in 2013.