PDA

View Full Version : Managers... are you kidding me???

redsrolen
10-13-2012, 11:51 PM
OK...Managers with one stupid move after another....Just have to take a minute to :bang::bang: When pitchers have lost it most of the time they've lost it.....You have a game won & this....With Ibanez due up & your pitcher just walks an easy out...I yell at my husband and say 'easy HR comin' up' without a doubt...I'm a 58 yr old woman & there was no doubt on this...or last night or Latos....I just want to grab these managers & scream "Have you lost your flippin mind"??? It's like watching a bad 'B' baseball horror movie!!!:scared::scared: That's all...

goreds2
10-13-2012, 11:59 PM
When starting a thread. tell us the details what happened? (watching the ohio state game. :))

ProfessorTofty
10-14-2012, 12:01 AM
Yankees-Tigers game - 4-0 favor of Tigers in bottom of ninth. Yankees score 2 runs, reliever Vervalde is left in - 2 run blast by Yankees, tie 4-4, game now in bottom 10th as of this posting.

ProfessorTofty
10-14-2012, 12:05 AM
Just went to the 11th inning.

redsrolen
10-14-2012, 12:09 AM
Just went to the 11th inning.

Thanks..Prof...watching them leave in Latos...then the closer last night & tonight....& the dumb look on the managers faces....Why am I surprised...

10-14-2012, 12:11 AM
Not sure how this thread gets to be 24 hours old without mention of Davey Johnson. Great career, sure. And a year above expectations without a doubt. But, in last night's Game 5 dropped to STL:

- Sticking with Gio Gonzalez for more than two full innings past the point when clear he wasn't keeping balls down or locating well

- Bringing in Edwin Jackson to pitch the 7th...Edwin Jackson!...on a day's rest to boot! How? Why? Have to watch the presser after the game where he was asked this; he couldn't give a coherent answer

- Top of the 9th. The decision to pitch to Pete Kozma, who then singled to win the game. Next up would have been Motte for the final out and a base was open. Huh?

ProfessorTofty
10-14-2012, 12:14 AM
24 hours old? It was just opened about 20 minutes ago.

Oh, and we're now well into the 11th. Coming up on 12:15 A.M. I expected this to be over about 45 minutes ago...

10-14-2012, 12:18 AM
24 hours old? It was just opened about 20 minutes ago.

Oh, and we're now well into the 11th. Coming up on 12:15 A.M. I expected this to be over about 45 minutes ago...

Thanks for the correction. Read the time stamp too quickly. Think I'm still in shock from where I (and not this thread) was 24 hours ago: watching an implosion in slo-mo.

ProfessorTofty
10-14-2012, 12:19 AM
And another op for the Yankees after the Tigers fail to score in the top of the inning.

HometownHero
10-14-2012, 12:24 AM
Not sure how this thread gets to be 24 hours old without mention of Davey Johnson. Great career, sure. And a year above expectations without a doubt. But, in last night's Game 5 dropped to STL:

- Sticking with Gio Gonzalez for more than two full innings past the point when clear he wasn't keeping balls down or locating well

- Bringing in Edwin Jackson to pitch the 7th...Edwin Jackson!...on a day's rest to boot! How? Why? Have to watch the presser after the game where he was asked this; he couldn't give a coherent answer

- Top of the 9th. The decision to pitch to Pete Kozma, who then singled to win the game. Next up would have been Motte for the final out and a base was open. Huh?

Johnson didn't have any other real options, with the missing off day in the 2-3 format all his good BP arms were used up. Its a big drawback of not having Strasburg if he went in game 2 he could have went in as a super long man in game 4 or 5.

That 3 day in a row deal also played a part in Storen sucking since it was his 3rd day in a row working he was coming off injury and was a bit too much to ask. As expected an another wacky change played out for the Cards.

I wouldn't walk Kozma he's a .236 minor league hitter living a BABIP dream right now and is due for a reality check and regression to the mean. With a shot to win they would have PH with Cruz who they had to use anyway after running for Molina.

Mutaman
10-14-2012, 12:34 AM
Just once I wish one of you would post your opinion before the event happens, not after. Really despise second guessing.

ProfessorTofty
10-14-2012, 12:36 AM
Well, it seems to me there's been a general consensus for the past two or three days now at least that these pitchers are being left in way too long.

10-14-2012, 12:39 AM
Hometown: the thing is, there were other options. since an elimination game, JZim could have done another inning. Matheus was the most obvious option who went unused but won Game 1. Gorzelanny was hardly used at all during the LDS. Kozma's minor league stats were irrelevant in the same way STL's regular season record doesn't matter now. Both hot in the LDS. Clearly pitching to Motte a better bet for a final out.

Muta: on posting a view after versus before an event, not sure I understand your point about "second guessing?" This is what we do as fans. Same as journalists who get to ask the questions at the press conferences. Can't comment on managerial moves before situations are known, right? Can tell you if you'd been next to me in the stadium you would have heard me screaming to take Gio out in the 2nd inning and virtually beside myself as soon as I saw 33 (Jackson) get up in the BP in the 6th.

redsrolen
10-14-2012, 12:42 AM
Well, it seems to me there's been a general consensus for the past two or three days now at least that these pitchers are being left in way too long.

Thank-you!! My head was exploding while typing because possibly I was in the 'twilight zone' as I watched it happen for the third time & I called the home runs 3 xs before they happened.....

redsrolen
10-14-2012, 12:44 AM
:beerme::beerme::beerme: Please...just one time can a team win that 'I'm rooting for???? 5-4..teegrays

6-4 Tigerlillies

YES!! Tigers......

ProfessorTofty
10-14-2012, 12:50 AM
Another run in, redsrolen! :)

HometownHero
10-14-2012, 12:56 AM
Hometown: the think is, there were other options. since an elimination game, JZim could have done another inning. Matheus was the most obvious option who went unused but won Game 1. Gorzelanny was hardly used at all during the LDS.

His real mistake was using Storen in the 9th of game 3 down 8-0 when he hadn't pitched in 2 days rather than planning about needing him the next two games.

Would be asking a lot from a young SP to throw 63 on the 8th, come back and work the 11th and 12th out of them and they think they had him slotted for game one if they advanced.

You have your best pitcher in there even wild I would roll with him as long as possible, I wouldn't want Gorzelanny since the Cards own him over his career spending so long in the division. I didn't like the Jackson move but I can see his thinking. I would have went to Ryan Mattheus in that spot but after getting beat up in game 3 he may have got put off by him along with his good GB rates are nice to save for a big jam.

Plus you have to save someone with the ability to work more than one inning in case it goes extra innings.

Mutaman
10-14-2012, 06:18 PM
Muta: on posting a view after versus before an event, not sure I understand your point about "second guessing?" This is what we do as fans. Same as journalists who get to ask the questions at the press conferences. Can't comment on managerial moves before situations are known, right? Can tell you if you'd been next to me in the stadium you would have heard me screaming to take Gio out in the 2nd inning and virtually beside myself as soon as I saw 33 (Jackson) get up in the BP in the 6th.

I think I'm pretty clear. If you read my game posts throughout the season, I consistently give my opinion before the fact, not after. Sometimes I'm right, sometimes I'm wrong. If Baker had pulled Latos and LeCure had given up the GS, the same folks who are whining about pulling Latos would be screaming because he pulled Latos. Any fool can criticize after the outcome is known. Fans who second guess are losers.