PDA

View Full Version : The problem with bringing Rolen back

VirginiaPreps
10-14-2012, 08:24 PM
First of all, I like Scott Rolen, I really do.

I thought the trade for him, while giving up a lot, addressed a very specific need - leadership in the clubhouse.

While I think he will announce his retirement in the next few weeks, many are saying lets bring him back - likely as a role player.

The problem(s) with bringing Rolen back

1) He can only play one position. Most 'bench' guys can play multiple positions

2) Should the regular thirdbaseman go down with an injury, Rolen is not capable of playing everyday for an extended period of time - meaning, if you carry Rolen as a back-up you better have someone else capable of playing 3B on the bench or in AAA.

What do others think?

RedTruck
10-14-2012, 08:27 PM

I thought the trade for him, while giving up a lot, addressed a very specific need - leadership in the clubhouse.

While I think he will announce his retirement in the next few weeks, many are saying lets bring him back - likely as a role player.

2) Should the regular thirdbaseman go down with an injury, Rolen is not capable of playing everyday for an extended period of time - meaning, if you carry Rolen as a back-up you better have someone else capable of playing 3B on the bench or in AAA.

What do others think?

He won't get resigned..at least not with the reds. He'll probably retire, unless he really wants to play some more baseball, than I can see a team like the yankees or astros pick him up for whatever reason.

But I think it's all moot. He know's he's done. Which is a good thing imo

Krawhitham
10-14-2012, 10:50 PM
The main problem with bringing him back is the fact he is going to retire

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/10/scott-rolen-expected-to-retire.html

I would LOVE to see him replace Brook Jacoby

redsrolen
10-14-2012, 11:09 PM
The main problem with bringing him back is the fact he is going to retire

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/10/scott-rolen-expected-to-retire.html

I would LOVE to see him replace Brook Jacoby

Me too...;)

mikemo14
10-14-2012, 11:32 PM
No interest whatsoever in seeing him return in any role. If Dusty returns and Rolen is on the roster he will get way too much pt. He is nothing but a mediocre player offensively and average defensively at this stage. Time to move on.

bounty37h
10-15-2012, 09:50 AM
Would love to see him get into coaching.

texasdave
10-15-2012, 10:50 AM

What do others think?

1) I am guessing that Rolen can play first. Kinda like Cairo backed first and third and Valdez backed second and short.

2) That is usually what happens anyway. If a 3B goes down to injury one comes up to replace him. You don't normally lose a catcher to injury and then bring up an outfielder. This seems pretty status quo to me.

Bob Sheed
10-15-2012, 10:52 AM
Agree with the others here...

I'd love to have him back.

...to replace Brook Jacoby.

Magdal
10-15-2012, 11:31 AM
1) I am guessing that Rolen can play first. Kinda like Cairo backed first and third and Valdez backed second and short.

2) That is usually what happens anyway. If a 3B goes down to injury one comes up to replace him. You don't normally lose a catcher to injury and then bring up an outfielder. This seems pretty status quo to me.Good Lord! That's a nutty idea...you don't clog a roster spot from an up and comer that could be making his bones on the team. Rolen is done. Why would ANY contending team even give a passing thought to him???

huber14
10-15-2012, 01:29 PM
"The problem with bringing Rolen back"

-another year of Viva La Vida

ukwazoo
10-15-2012, 01:54 PM
I'd welcome him back in any role except baseball player

BigPoppa
10-15-2012, 05:29 PM
Agree with the others here...

I'd love to have him back.

...to replace Brook Jacoby.

+ 1 :thumbup:

MBZags
10-15-2012, 05:31 PM
"The problem with bringing Rolen back"

-another year of Viva La Vida

Amen, brother.

malcontent
10-15-2012, 06:16 PM
I'd welcome him back in any role except baseball player
:laugh:

Oh, come on, dude. You know he taught the club how to win the game he invented (sincerest apologies to redsrolen).

malcontent
10-15-2012, 06:27 PM
Good Lord! That's a nutty idea...you don't clog a roster spot from an up and comer that could be making his bones on the team. Rolen is done. Why would ANY contending team even give a passing thought to him???
I'll give it a shot, Magdal. Cincinnati management and fans just aren't as obsessed with winning championships as St. Louis management and fans are.

We just love a good narrative. Rolen as the embodiment of blue-collar All-American work ethic seems to play well here.

Maker_84
10-15-2012, 06:47 PM
The problem with bringing him back is that he isn't very good anymore and is holding Todd Frazier back

redsrolen
10-15-2012, 07:08 PM
:laugh:

Oh, come on, dude. You know he taught the club how to win the game he invented (sincerest apologies to redsrolen).

Geez people...I'm not Scott's mother...What the heck do I care what you think of him...

I don't even know why this thread exist?? I certainly don't know what he's going to do & it's none of my business....but all of you raking him over the coals have made me laugh alot so keep it up...it's fun reading!!
Scott was on base 6 xs & missed 2 really hard plays...but I love that you think Frazier would have made those plays...He made one easy play & his hands were shaking..& Marty said in the 9th something like "that was Frazier's ball & he didn't even move his foot...he's lucky Cozart saved him"...
The golden 'hitter' didn't have a hit in that game & I read you praising him for a walk that a blind person would have made...
Do I think he'll be a great player...heck yeah I do...Will he make great plays at third, of course...Who do you think taught him how to play 3rd..his mother?? Last night I looked up Scott's plays this yr & they were amazing & on his worst day right now he can out field 80% of the MLB... However if it makes you feel better to put this whole thing on his back...have at it!! You want to see a real 3rd base error...watch Chipper Jones...he & he alone blew any chance of that team beating the Cards...for gosh sakes he threw it 4 ft over a guys head on a routine play....

95% of major leaguers only dream of having his career & while he'll be in the HOF, you all will sit on here & will bash him until the end of time because it makes you sleep better at night...
But never confuse me with some weak woman that is concerned about what you say...I was a state record holder in swimmimg & am only a second off my times now after 2 back fusions, brst cancer & a tumor that took 2 inches of my shoulder off...In fact..my husband has been enjoying the Scott hatred on here...I have to say I only read about 10% of it but fear not maybe I'll read your stuff next!:p

webbbj
10-15-2012, 07:39 PM
I would like to have rolen back but only as a once or twice a week start.
Id also like to have stubbs back but off the bench and <40 starts batting 8th when he does.

They both have great value as bench guys.