PDA

View Full Version : So What Caused Cueto's Oblique Strain?

Strikes Out Looking
10-15-2012, 04:01 PM
I apologize if this has been written about somewhere else -- but I never felt I got the complete story as to what caused Johnny Cueto to have an oblique strain. Was it from the plane ride to SF? Was it Angel Pagan's (illegal) timeout? Something else like a second shooter paid for by Bud Selig?

jhu1321
10-15-2012, 04:02 PM
I heard he felt it warming up but tried to push through.......

Regardless, everyone know to THROW THE PITCH even if the batter calls timeout.

Johnny Footstool
10-15-2012, 06:20 PM
Throwing the most pitches he's ever thrown in a season.

Joseph
10-15-2012, 06:53 PM
Likely will never get the complete answer because little things like that are hard to pinpoint.

traderumor
10-15-2012, 08:48 PM
Fart crosswise.

corkedbat
10-15-2012, 09:14 PM
Dusty. He destroys young pitchers. Known fact. :evil:

George Anderson
10-15-2012, 09:34 PM
He strained it wooing.

SunDeck
10-15-2012, 09:48 PM
Fart crosswise.

It's always funny until somebody pulls an oblique.

mbgrayson
10-15-2012, 09:53 PM
I wonder if his (relatively) new pitching dleivery combined with extra innings contributed?

vic715
10-16-2012, 02:34 AM
Where did this damn injury come from in the first place.Never heard of it back in the 60's and 70's or the 80's for that matter.

gilpdawg
10-16-2012, 07:52 AM
Sure you did. They just called it an abdominal strain. But, there's more than one part of your abdominal area, so it's just more accurate now.

GAC
10-16-2012, 07:57 AM
Likely will never get the complete answer because little things like that are hard to pinpoint.

Yep. Numerous situations can cause it. I've been off work for the last several days due to a pinched sciatic nerve in my upper back that also has nerves running into the neck and down the left arm. Very, very painful. How'd I do it? Don't know. Went to bed Wednesday night feeling fine, woke up at 1 AM in intense pain. The Dr told me I obviously, while sleeping, got my back in a very awkward, twisting, position which causes the muscles to react/try to correct.

Now with Cueto this was reported....

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20121009&content_id=39636770&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb

Normally for pitchers, oblique injuries are on the non-throwing side, from where they get their power. Since Cueto is right-handed, that would usually mean a left oblique injury. But Cueto has a funky delivery during which he twists away from the plate.

"That's why when it first happened, we were trying to figure out what was going on, because it didn't make sense to be a same-side oblique," Reds head trainer Paul Lessard said.

I got this from a health/fitness website.....

The oblique muscles are considered part of the abdominal muscles. They are located between the ribs and the pelvis and make up the waist. The obliques help the trunk to rotate and bend. There are the external obliques which are large muscles close to the surface of the skin. The internal obliques are deeper and situated right below the external obliques. These muscles can become strained due to a direct blow to the waist area, from overuse or forceful twisting and bending motions.

I'd say Johnny's funky delivery, as well as wear and tear of the season, led to it. It just finally caught up to him. A freaky situation.... and bad luck for us.

GAC
10-16-2012, 08:01 AM
Where did this damn injury come from in the first place.Never heard of it back in the 60's and 70's or the 80's for that matter.

Players today are in far better physical shape, for the most part, then back then. Far less body fat, more muscle.

cumberlandreds
10-16-2012, 08:49 AM
Players today are in far better physical shape, for the most part, then back then. Far less body fat, more muscle.

I think players back in the 60's,70's and 80's had similar. They just called it a pulled muscle in the side or ribcage. Players would go on the 15 day or 21 day DL more often than not. I do think you see this more today because of all the training these guys do year around.

marcshoe
10-16-2012, 09:31 AM
Tony LaRussa with a Voodoo doll.

klw
10-16-2012, 01:34 PM
The injury was caused by exposure to the radiation of Votto's MRI.

VR
10-16-2012, 05:14 PM
Better get him on P90X during the offseason to strengthen the core