PDA

View Full Version : Melky Cabrera?

Salukifan2
10-15-2012, 04:09 PM
Since i'm not allowed to post on The Old Red Guard i'll just create this thread on the sun deck. He's gonna come cheap because of the PED suspension and if he is half as good as he was was this year he would still be a thousand times better than stubbs. Only question is whether or not he or Bruce could handle center field. HE could also have pretty insane power numbers in cincy

Rock of Truth
10-15-2012, 04:18 PM
Since i'm not allowed to post on The Old Red Guard i'll just create this thread on the sun deck. He's gonna come cheap because of the PED suspension and if he is half as good as he was was this year he would still be a thousand times better than stubbs. Only question is whether or not he or Bruce could handle center field. HE could also have pretty insane power numbers in cincy

Still does not answer the question as to who will hit lead off. IF for some reason Ludwick gets away, we have a great spot in left field. Otherwise, I don't think he will come as Cheaply as people think.

Salukifan2
10-15-2012, 04:20 PM
TO be honest i think the reds are crazy for not batting Phillips leadoff. He has good speed and a great on base. The guy would be an awesome power leadoff hitter

Rock of Truth
10-15-2012, 04:27 PM
TO be honest i think the reds are crazy for not batting Phillips leadoff. He has good speed and a great on base. The guy would be an awesome power leadoff hitter

While that may be true, I really like DatDudeBP in the 2 spot in front of Joey. He would see so many more good pitches that he can drive to all fields. Walking him would be the very last thing that any pitcher would ever want to do. It also gives him a chance to get some RBI's if our leadoff hitter ever gets on.

Salukifan2
10-15-2012, 04:33 PM
I think that no matter if phillips is batting 1st or 2nd if votto is healthy he is going to get his 30 bombs and 100 rbis. Also i think melky could bat lead off especially because he's a switch hitter. Cincy is a small park so you don't need your center fielder to run a 4.40 40-yard dash. And becuase its the great american small park it makes more sense to build your team around power. Idk, PEDs aside he would definitely be a boost offensively which is what i, as an outsider, think is the number 1 issue to fix

redsrolen
10-15-2012, 04:47 PM

Well I sure like his bat but will it be as good off the peds? Plus the Reds are a very squeaky clean org....don't think they'd go for him...

Rock of Truth
10-15-2012, 04:53 PM
Well I sure like his bat but will it be as good off the peds? Plus the Reds are a very squeaky clean org....don't think they'd go for him...

Edinson Volquez might disagree with you.

Salukifan2
10-15-2012, 04:58 PM
Jocketty also needs to shmooze ownership into opening up some pay roll. That was his problem in st louis. He never spent much money, then mozeliak gets hired and all of the sudden ownership opens up its wallet. I agree that the reds are a squeaky clean organization, they have never had a player test positive before and if they signed Cabrera they should have stipulations about PEDs in the fine print. Additionaly, I think the reds could trade Mesoraco for solid veteran help wherever it is needed and then they should sign Napoli. Maybe i'm over estimating that capablity of the reds front office but you have to spend money to make money

Rock of Truth
10-15-2012, 09:26 PM
I agree that the reds are a squeaky clean organization, they have never had a player test positive before

Again, what about Volquez?

DocRed
10-15-2012, 09:34 PM
Again, what about Volquez?

LMFAO at anyone who thinks "The Reds" are cleaner than anyone else...people are gonna do whatever it takes to win period.

texasdave
10-15-2012, 10:51 PM
I just want to get Drew Stubbs off PDDs. Performance-depressing drugs.

Jonster
10-15-2012, 10:56 PM
I hope you guys get him. Cabrera is an exceptional hitter and these national analysts who question what kind of player he is without PED's clearly didn't watch him hit this year.

Firstly, Cabrera wasn't blasting home runs out of the park like a textbook 'roid case. He was spraying knocks all over the park; going to both sides of the field and hitting seeds with incredible consistency. Angel Pagan broke the SF era triples record this year... And at the time of his suspension, Melky Cabrera had 3 more triples than Pagan did. He continued to lead the NL in total hits for 2 weeks after he was put on the shelf. I contest that while PED's can help you hit the ball farther, they won't help you put the bat on ball and that's what Cabrera excelled at. He's a natural hitter than understands the game and was leading the world in multi-hit games at the time of his suspension.

Cabrera's stigma has always been his conditioning: he was extremely fat and out of shape in Atlanta and, to a lesser degree, New York. I hypothesize that Cabrera's recent commitment to fitness include a testosterone enhancer that helped him keep his gut in check, moreso than turning him into a fitness monster. Melky never looked like a masher at the plate; he was a .330 hitter on pace to hit around 20 home runs. Not to mention, he has an absolute cannon in the outfield.

I'm one of many Giants fans that are absolutely begging management to give him another shot... But the word is, with Huff, Rowand, and Freddy Sanchez' money coming off the books, the Giants are gonna make a serious run at Josh Hamilton. If that's the case and Cabrera is made to walk, I suggest you guys give him a serious look. You won't be disappointed.

Salukifan2
10-15-2012, 11:27 PM
Damn. Yeah i gotta stop trusting chacha. They said no reds had ever been busted for PEDs doesn't change the fact that they should still go after him

RedTruck
10-15-2012, 11:43 PM
I hope you guys get him. Cabrera is an exceptional hitter and these national analysts who question what kind of player he is without PED's clearly didn't watch him hit this year.

Firstly, Cabrera wasn't blasting home runs out of the park like a textbook 'roid case. He was spraying knocks all over the park; going to both sides of the field and hitting seeds with incredible consistency. Angel Pagan broke the SF era triples record this year... And at the time of his suspension, Melky Cabrera had 3 more triples than Pagan did. He continued to lead the NL in total hits for 2 weeks after he was put on the shelf. I contest that while PED's can help you hit the ball farther, they won't help you put the bat on ball and that's what Cabrera excelled at. He's a natural hitter than understands the game and was leading the world in multi-hit games at the time of his suspension.

Cabrera's stigma has always been his conditioning: he was extremely fat and out of shape in Atlanta and, to a lesser degree, New York. I hypothesize that Cabrera's recent commitment to fitness include a testosterone enhancer that helped him keep his gut in check, moreso than turning him into a fitness monster. Melky never looked like a masher at the plate; he was a .330 hitter on pace to hit around 20 home runs. Not to mention, he has an absolute cannon in the outfield.

I'm one of many Giants fans that are absolutely begging management to give him another shot... But the word is, with Huff, Rowand, and Freddy Sanchez' money coming off the books, the Giants are gonna make a serious run at Josh Hamilton. If that's the case and Cabrera is made to walk, I suggest you guys give him a serious look. You won't be disappointed.

I really hope the Reds get him to. I just feel that during the offseason he will be motivated because of this scandal and will only continue to improve with his overall fitness and game.

But, knowing the reds, we'll probably get some old vet to replace stubbs will will barely perform better than what we had in the first place.

Jonster
10-15-2012, 11:50 PM
I've always thought Stubbs had 5-tool potential. From the outside looking in, he seemed like one of your guys' studs. What happened? He literally just can't stop striking out or what?

Rock of Truth
10-16-2012, 08:35 AM
I've always thought Stubbs had 5-tool potential. From the outside looking in, he seemed like one of your guys' studs. What happened? He literally just can't stop striking out or what?

Stubbs for one reason or another has lost all vision of the strike zone. He does not swing at strikes on the inside part of the plate yet will dive after a breaking ball that moves far away from him. He has lost all confidence at the plate and his batting average has dropped after each of the past three years.

UNLESS he is hitting in Wrigley Field. Then he looks like a 9 time All-Star. But then again, who doesn't against Cubs pitching?

dubc47834
10-16-2012, 09:12 AM
Edinson Volquez might disagree with you.

And he is gone ...right!!!

joshua
10-16-2012, 12:16 PM
I would love Melky in Cincinnati. He would be the perfect lead off hitter in GABP...if they get him and can retain Ludwick it changes the whole element of the lineup.

Cabrera
Phillips
Votto
Ludwick
Bruce
Frazier
Hanigan
Cozart

That would be a monster lineup. You could flip BP and Melky if you wanted...point being that you get a good avg/obp in front of Votto...and if even one out of the two get on base and have to face Votto do you walk him and put Luddy at the plate and Bruce on deck?

Now if only the whole lineup could get some consistency...

Rock of Truth
10-16-2012, 01:24 PM
I know it is only speculation and it's fun to play "What If". But what price do we really think we would have to pay for Melky? 3 Years $20 Million? I don't see the Reds dropping that kind of Cash.

RedTruck
10-16-2012, 02:22 PM
I know it is only speculation and it's fun to play "What If". But what price do we really think we would have to pay for Melky? 3 Years $20 Million? I don't see the Reds dropping that kind of Cash.

You're being to generous. After the PED scandal, I see many teams hesitant and reluctant on signing him.

Personally, I see a 1 year control.

1 year-3 million? Sounds reasonable.

Jonster
10-16-2012, 04:24 PM
Unless the Red Sox, who suddenly need a LF and just traded their payroll away, offer him something in the ballpark of 3-years, $15 million. Those fools plucked our sloppy seconds with Cody Ross a year ago and are loving the results.

Melky's going to take the deal with the most years and I doubt there will be a lack of suitors willing to offer more than a $3 million audition contract for a guy that was on pace to hit 200 knocks for the second straight year. Guys like that don't grow on trees, scandal or not. It's also worth noting that Melky was making about $6 million this year on his final season of arbitration. While I agree that he mucked up his pay day by getting caught, I seriously doubt the best offer he receives will be half of what he made this year. If the Reds want him, they're gonna have to offer 2 or 3 years that add up to 7 digits.

HometownHero
10-16-2012, 04:55 PM
Melky will want a one year deal, he just turned 28 years old two months ago so it does him no good to take a multi-year low ball deal when he can play one year at a reduced rate and rehab his value and image and then strike gold for his last big contact.

We're a perfect fit for him to look to do that. We have a shot to win, have a nice hitters park and play in a division with a few other hitters parks as well with not many legit Aces currently in it he division.

If a team like the Red Sox panic they may do a one year deal at bigger money than elsewhere with a 2nd season at legit market value. But doing that risks going back into the ultra competitive AL East where he was already just a marginal player.

The_Mudshark
10-17-2012, 04:04 PM
Considering that whole organization threw him right under the bus immediately after the incident, I can't imagine that many people liked him in the Giants' club house even before the incident.

Alpha Zero
10-17-2012, 04:12 PM
I want no part of Melky Cabrera. Why sign a guy who carries that kind of stigma and has a history of attitude problems? The Reds can and should do better.