PDA

View Full Version : Honest Expectations of 2012

texasdave
10-16-2012, 02:50 PM
Now that the season has been over and the emotions have settled somewhat, let's take a moment or two and look back. The question is pretty simple: On Opening Day what were your expectations of this team? No hemming and hawing. Where did you feel this season would end for this team when the First Pitch was thrown?

dubc47834
10-16-2012, 03:06 PM
I woulda been happy just making the playoffs...but thought we could make the NLCS. Now that the season is over I thought we had a team that coulda won it all.

GO REDS!!!

webbbj
10-16-2012, 03:46 PM
I honestly felt we had the #1 or #2 team from day 1.

I thought the cards and brewers losing fielder, grienke, and pujols gave them an obvious step back.

The Reds adding Latos, Ludwick, Marshall gave us an obvious step forward. Plus I thought the Reds were better than they showed 2011 and had guys still growing.

I wasnt too concerned about any teams out west.

And thought the Phils were the #1 team slightly. I thought the Marlins would be very dangerous as well.

Pre season my standings would have been

Phils
Reds
Marlins
Braves
Giants

I was expecting atleast an NLCS w/ a real possibility of the WS

Mastodon
10-16-2012, 04:06 PM
I expected playoffs, I honestly had no clue how we would do where we would place but I thought for sure we were heading towards the post season. After the way they played I still think they were/are a team that could/can win it all. Nothing convinced me of that more than going up 2-0 in the NLDS. Series should have been a sweep, if that happens I still say this team goes to the WS and has a good chance of winning it.

50YrRedsFan
10-16-2012, 04:43 PM
I figured we would barely make the playoffs and be gone right away.
After the signing of Ludwick and Valdez, I felt Walt didn't do enough to help the offense.
We have been dependent on HR's to score for many years now, and an aging Ludwick and a weak offensive hitter in Valdez wouldn't put us over the top. I was really surprised Ludwick did as well as he did. I was expecting maybe a .240 average with 15 or so HR's. I also worried about our middle relief. Arredondo, Massett, and Bray all had problems throwing strikes in 2011. For Arredondo and Bray, it continued into 2012.

malcontent
10-16-2012, 06:10 PM
The 2nd WC obviously gave them a better chance of making it, but I still thought that the Reds don't sniff post-season. So yeah, I was shocked at the success they had.

But when it was clear they were going to make it, I still had visions of an early exit. Too many holes...and Baker as manager.

Of course, Votto on one leg and Pagan destroying Cueto sealed the deal.

MrRedLegger
10-16-2012, 06:33 PM
I voted prematurely before reading the OP Dave, sorry. I voted "hang a banner" because by July/August I really thought we had what it took, so I voted based on my feelings closer to the postseason. The season was glittered by the sort of magic that seems to propel teams to be champions. The playoff loss didn't really hit me until a few days ago.

Before opening day, however, I did feel the division was ours to lose. I was confident we would at least make the playoffs given that we get to beat up on teams like Houston and Chicago while taking advantage of "down" St. Louis and Milwaukee teams. In April I thought getting to the NLCS would be a blessing from above. Cueto's performance on Opening Day only confirmed my premonition.

But MAN OH MAN did my nonchalant feelings of maybe contending for the NL pennant change over the season. I made a deal with a friend who lives in Minnesota that if they went to the WS I'd buy half his flight which I had picked out and everything. I was so heartbroken because I had very high hopes for this team. What's good is that the 2012 team will pretty much be the squad for a few years.

nismoredlegs
10-16-2012, 08:20 PM
To be honest I had them taking 3rd in the division. Didn't really put a record guess out there...just picked the Brewers to win the division with the Cardinals in second. After 2011's showing, I didn't think the Reds would have what it took.

They proved me wrong in the regular season, but 0-2 in getting past the NLDS.

I remember a couple years ago somewhere there was a legit writer that had the 2014 WS being Reds vs Royals. Lets hope he is correct.

2011 was my rookie year for fantasy baseball. I took it all, so the 2011 plunge for the Reds wasn't too bad. I had something to lean on.

This year I had a sophomore slump in fantasy, and the Reds took the division, so again I had something to lean on.

Here's to 2013 :beerme:
Reds get an early start in the offseason.
The Mogul gets an early start for fantasy offseason.
Reds and Oakland in the WS for 2013.
The Mogul winning fantasy for 2013

Ironman92
10-16-2012, 09:01 PM
I think I had them at 85 wins. I didn't think Cueto, Bronson and Homer would be as good as they were. Didn't know Hanigan would evolve into one of the top defensive catchers in baseball......but always worried about plate approaches when it came down to it.

How Brook Jacoby has a job just befuddles me. Dusty handled most of the team very well. Speier was great at positioning and Price did an excellent job.

Old NDN
10-18-2012, 05:00 PM
I thought they would make the playoffs because of the 2nd wild card. but that would be the end. I didn't expect them to overcome the injuries to Madson, Masset, Bray. No way did I expect the great pitching they got. I still was skeptical of the offense. I suspected a larger market team would outspend the Reds at the deadline to improve their teams, which could possibly bury the Reds. Instead they did it to themselves.

LexRedsFan
10-18-2012, 05:15 PM
I think I had 88-90 wins, Wild Card and an NLDS upset over the Braves who I pegged to win the East.

Oops

goreds2
10-19-2012, 06:29 AM
I really thought we were "all in" this season. Winning at least one round in the palyoffs was all I could think about.

Calten
10-19-2012, 06:52 AM
We desperately need some help at the top of the order, and someone to hit with runners in scoring position. We are terrible at that, and have been for the last 3 years.

If/when we get that, no one beats this team.

New York Red
10-19-2012, 05:51 PM
I was unsure on opening day about the quality and depth of our pitching staff. It turned out to be our strength. With that kind of pitching, we should have gone further in the playoffs. Very disappointing ending to a strong season.