PDA

View Full Version : Replacing Miguel Cairo

alett12
10-18-2012, 01:10 PM
Cairo's contract is finally up but that leaves a hole on the bench that could eventually be filled by Frazier but in the mean time the Reds need to find another player to fill his spot on the bench. I'll list my to 5 choices who are free agents and you all put in your comments.
1. Jeff Keppinger - Keppinger would be a great option could possibly start
2. Ty Wigginton - Wigginton has been very good in the past could start declining due to age though
3. Maicer Izturis - has speed and plays all over the IF except 1B
4. Drew Sutton - Former Red that has bounced around since being shipped out
5. Jose Lopez - has been very poor at the plate but is the youngest of these 5.

RedTruck
10-18-2012, 08:13 PM
no mention of johnny gomes?

Redsfansince72
10-18-2012, 10:42 PM
I wanted Jeff Keppinger before the season started and at the deadline.. He would be a way better option that Cairo or Valdez and can HIT!!!

40YrRedsFan
10-18-2012, 10:43 PM
Greg Dobbs....would have to trade, he's signed through 2013 with the Marlins.

moewan
10-18-2012, 11:46 PM
Of that group the only one I would kick the tires on is Isturez.

Captain13
10-19-2012, 12:03 PM
I think they should sign me. I'm about the same age. I can't field or hit, but I would do it for the league minimum; therefore, I am an upgrade over both Cairo and Valdez.

Bob Sheed
10-19-2012, 01:00 PM
One does not simply replace Miguel Cairo.

sdwagers
10-20-2012, 08:09 AM
Kepp is the outside option.... Henry Roderiguez is the internal option. Its possible the Gregorius replaces Valdez as well.

improbus
10-20-2012, 09:26 AM
My answer to replacing Miguel - Yes.

MrRedLegger
10-20-2012, 02:52 PM
I'll play for him. For cheap too.

webbbj
10-20-2012, 06:19 PM
replacing miguel cairo is the least of my worries. a bag of baseballs should do.

dMaus14
10-20-2012, 07:38 PM
Jed Lowrie from Houston? Switch hitter that can hit and can play all three INF positions and under control for three years.

HometownHero
10-20-2012, 08:55 PM
He had a .492 OPS and a 29 OPS+ where 100 is average, Adding a pitcher to the role could be an upgrade.

HometownHero
10-21-2012, 03:59 AM
This is what I want to do now. I want to make Zack Cozart the utility player and add Yunel Escobar to play SS since he will likely be on the move with the addition of Mike Aviles from Boston in the trade for their manager.

Even after Escobar down year he still owns a .282 lifetime average and a .353 OBP, he finished 3rd in MLB with 15 Defensive Runs Saved and a move to GABP and out of the ultra competitive AL East could see a spike in his power.

If we could add that .353 OBP into the two hole and find a OBP driven lead off hitter out line up could become a monster, or even if we had to use Escobar leading off it could be a great upgrade, then when you factor in the upgrade at the utility infielder spot it becomes even better.

Yunel Escobar SS
Melky Cabrera CF
Joey Votto 1B
Ryan Ludwick LF
Jay Bruce RF
Brandon Phillips 2B
Todd Frazier 3B
Hanigan/Mesoraco C

Buying low on two talented players who both needed to remake their images before they get to old for a long term deal while keeping a spot warm until our prospect get ready is a winning plan IMO. Then give Ludwick a 2nd year and a slight boost in money to come back which he wants to do and you have a team that can steamroll the NL central yet again while having better depth and better OBP.

We won 97 games with a .208 average and a .254 OBP from our of the #1 spot and a .257 average and a .310 OBP out of the second spot. Just talking about adding a couple .280+ hitters who spent a ton of their career in the hardest division in baseball and are still young to those spots makes my heart beat faster, and knowing the positive from that runs even deeper by having bats like BP hitting 6th and Todd 7th would be awesome.

dMaus14
10-21-2012, 04:39 AM
I would love to get Yunel Escobar. His best years came in the NL and I think that he could be the leadoff we need. The only problem I have is in order to get him we will probably have to give up more pieces than we can afford or possibly create more holes to fill just to get him. I would have said trade Cozart to the DBacks from Parra but they just received Pennington so who knows what they want now.

HometownHero
10-21-2012, 05:37 AM
I would love to get Yunel Escobar. His best years came in the NL and I think that he could be the leadoff we need. The only problem I have is in order to get him we will probably have to give up more pieces than we can afford or possibly create more holes to fill just to get him. I would have said trade Cozart to the DBacks from Parra but they just received Pennington so who knows what they want now.

Between his bad year and the gay slur on his eye-black this year all signs point to being very open to just dumping him off and put the 5M he's owed into other places.

Jon Morosi tweeted tonight...

Mike Aviles played 128 games at shortstop this year. One would expect the Jays to move a middle infielder. Could depend on new manager. But obviously, the smart money would be on Yunel Escobar playing elsewhere by Opening Day 2013.

The thing so great about adding him would be the way his contract is, if he has issues or sucks we can get out of it for 1 year and 5 million, if he takes off he had 2 team options at 5M a pop.

It the ultimate low risk high reward deal. Like I said if he sucks we can dump him and move Cozart who might be more ready for everyday playing time after a year as a utility player getting in on favorable match ups getting his confidence back. If Escobar does good you have him locked up one year at a time for two more seasons keeping us safe from if he flakes out again also if he does good you've rehabbed his value so you can shop him around for other needs for 2014.

I like taking on guys who have something to prove or are looking to salvage their careers, and absolutely love it when those guys are 30 or younger and could have massive break out years. If I was Walt I would be working the phones ASAP on Escobar and get in touch with Melky as soon as FA opens a week after the WS.

dubc47834
10-21-2012, 09:20 AM
Between his bad year and the gay slur on his eye-black this year all signs point to being very open to just dumping him off and put the 5M he's owed into other places.

Jon Morosi tweeted tonight...

The thing so great about adding him would be the way his contract is, if he has issues or sucks we can get out of it for 1 year and 5 million, if he takes off he had 2 team options at 5M a pop.

It the ultimate low risk high reward deal. Like I said if he sucks we can dump him and move Cozart who might be more ready for everyday playing time after a year as a utility player getting in on favorable match ups getting his confidence back. If Escobar does good you have him locked up one year at a time for two more seasons keeping us safe from if he flakes out again also if he does good you've rehabbed his value so you can shop him around for other needs for 2014.

I like taking on guys who have something to prove or are looking to salvage their careers, and absolutely love it when those guys are 30 or younger and could have massive break out years. If I was Walt I would be working the phones ASAP on Escobar and get in touch with Melky as soon as FA opens a week after the WS.

I would not touch Escobar, to replace Cozart or to use as a platoon. NO!!! Coazart is a very good fielding SS and should hit better next year. I doubt he will ever be a .300 hitter, but should be better. I am not a fan of Escobar...too much drama for me.

HometownHero
10-21-2012, 06:53 PM
I would not touch Escobar, to replace Cozart or to use as a platoon. NO!!! Coazart is a very good fielding SS and should hit better next year. I doubt he will ever be a .300 hitter, but should be better. I am not a fan of Escobar...too much drama for me.

Escobar can field as well and saved more runs than Cozart did this year, I doubt Cozart ever lives up to peoples hope as an everyday player. He had only one good year in the minors and in that year he saw a big spike in his BABIP.

So far in the majors he's been a product of GABP with a career line on the road of .227/.264/.369/.632 in 350 PA. Cozart is one of the two glaring holes we have stiffening our offense, Sitting around waiting for people to meet expectations is how your watch your window to win close. Escobar hit .291 with a .368 OBP in the NL before moving to the pitching rich AL East, a move back to the NL along with GABP and a light pitching division could do him wonders.

dubc47834
10-21-2012, 08:06 PM
Escobar can field as well and saved more runs than Cozart did this year, I doubt Cozart ever lives up to peoples hope as an everyday player. He had only one good year in the minors and in that year he saw a big spike in his BABIP.

So far in the majors he's been a product of GABP with a career line on the road of .227/.264/.369/.632 in 350 PA. Cozart is one of the two glaring holes we have stiffening our offense, Sitting around waiting for people to meet expectations is how your watch your window to win close. Escobar hit .291 with a .368 OBP in the NL before moving to the pitching rich AL East, a move back to the NL along with GABP and a light pitching division could do him wonders.

Im not buying Escobar. I dont have the crazy expectations for Cozart. Like I said earlier man...I doubt he is ever a .300 hitter, but .270-.280 I think is not far fetched. Plus he is 1 of the better fielding SS in baseball. To me Escobar is too much drama. There is a reason he has bounced around, to probly include this offseason. Just my opinion!!!

subnuke78
10-22-2012, 07:54 AM
Cozart is one of the two glaring holes we have stiffening our offense.

I spose I'm ok with a single glaring hole if you can hide it in the 8 hole, but back it up with good fielding. Stubbs is in the same boat...good fielding..can't hit a lick. The problem is when you have multiple issues with the batting order..you can't hide them all. Bottom line for me on Cozart is that he is still cheap where Stubbs is up for arbitration and is gonna most likely cost more than the league minimum.

alett12
10-22-2012, 02:40 PM
I would rather have Cozart, and leave Gregorious in AAA so bringing back Valdez would be something I would like to see because I think he will be better than Cozart in the long run but is not there yet so he needs to play everyday.