PDA

View Full Version : A-Rod

Benihana
10-18-2012, 02:23 PM
Didn't see a thread on this topic.

Reports have him headed to Miami this offseason with the Yankees picking up almost the entire tab on his contract.

I could also see Boston and the Dodgers as two other possible destinations. He has a complete no-trade clause, and likely would only accept a deal to his hometown.

Given the last line, this is purely hypothetical and would never happen in real life. But since this is a messageboard designed to discuss such hypotheticals, would you take A-Rod on the Reds if the Yankees paid his entire contract? Assuming Ludwick walks, Frazier moves to LF, and you have...

CF Hamilton (once he's ready, which may not be until September)
LF Frazier
1B Votto
3B Rodriguez
RF Bruce
2B Phillips
SS Cozart
C Hanigan/Mez

Would he be worth the headache and distraction, even at the league minimum? Would you trade Corcino or Cingrani for him straight up? Despite his abysmal reputation, he did OPS .783 in the AL East this year.

Tom Servo
10-18-2012, 02:26 PM
At league minimum, sure, you take the risk that with regular rest he can return to career norms. Otherwise, no, because you're paying several million for a guy who has trouble staying on the field.

BrooklynRedz
10-18-2012, 02:41 PM
Yankees will eat a large portion of the remaining money. The more talent going their direction, the more money they'll be willing to eat. Would anyone consider a deal centering around Homer with Cingrani and perhaps one of either Stubbs or Heisey thrown in?

westofyou
10-18-2012, 02:56 PM
Slogans to live by

Just say no to thinking about ARod on your team

Friends don't let friends talk about acquiring ARod

Buckeye33
10-18-2012, 02:58 PM
Yankees will eat a large portion of the remaining money. The more talent going their direction, the more money they'll be willing to eat. Would anyone consider a deal centering around Homer with Cingrani and perhaps one of either Stubbs or Heisey thrown in?

There will not need to be much talent going the Yankees way in whatever deal they get for ARod. They know he has to be moved and will probably eat at least 80-90 million in a deal.

I do not think this is a player the Reds would go after so no way you move Bailey, and I wouldn't move Cigrani either.

Wonderful Monds
10-18-2012, 03:01 PM
In the hypothetical scenario where I wanted A-Rod

Stubbs, Lotzkar and Netfali Soto, for A-Rod and all his contract paid. Then I guess you could keep him and release him when he got too old.

mdccclxix
10-18-2012, 03:05 PM
5 million per every 25 hr past 660 (I think something like that).

I don't know, I wouldn't like hearing fans give him a hard time. If I thought the town could embrace him and leave his past behind, similar to Rolen, I'd say yes. However, I don't really care to hear about Arod every day for the Reds. But I think he'd be an amazing addition to the offense. And his defense isn't statistically that bad, adding value to his WAR even last year.

HotCorner
No.

Reds/Flyers Fan
Jocketty has gone after these older sluggers before: McGwire, Edmonds, Rolen ...

I think A-Rod could really revive himself spending a summer hitting against NL pitching in GABP. But is he worth the drama?

mdccclxix
10-18-2012, 03:08 PM
I do like receiving a Yankees subsidy. That seems refreshing.

HotCorner
10-18-2012, 03:08 PM
His OPS has regressed each of the past six years. He will be 37 next season. It won't get any better.

mdccclxix
10-18-2012, 03:09 PM
I like whatever the Reds' scouts have to say about it. Those guys are good. For now, it's just a funny idea.

westofyou
10-18-2012, 03:10 PM
His OPS has regressed each of the past six years. He will be 37 next season. It won't get any better.

And he's a polarizing prima donna.

Good lord, the thought of him on this Reds team is impossible to fathom.

Always Red
10-18-2012, 03:13 PM
Hmmm...replacing rock steady yet aging quickly vet Scott Rolen with a flighty aging quickly ballplayer who gives his phone number out to women during the course of a playoff game?

Nah.

LoganBuck
10-18-2012, 03:17 PM
ESPNradio was speculating this morning that he would be moved, and that the receiving team would only have to pony up $5 Million in 2013 and 2014, and that the Yankees would eat the rest.

I don't have time to look today, but is there any undercurrent in his numbers that suggest a move out of NY would help him? Could he hit enough between Votto and Bruce? Does Frazier become your leftfielder and Arod's caddy, like he was to Rolen?

I wouldn't dismiss it out of hand, but would lean no. Same goes with someone like Youkilis.

10-18-2012, 03:18 PM
Jocketty has gone after these older sluggers before: McGwire, Edmonds, Rolen ...

I think A-Rod could really revive himself spending a summer hitting against NL pitching in GABP. But is he worth the drama?

All those guys are known for their leadership qualities. ARod is the anti-leader, exactly the type of guy that Jocketty has avoided his career.

Tom Servo
10-18-2012, 03:29 PM
ESPNradio was speculating this morning that he would be moved, and that the receiving team would only have to pony up $5 Million in 2013 and 2014, and that the Yankees would eat the rest.

I don't have time to look today, but is there any undercurrent in his numbers that suggest a move out of NY would help him? Could he hit enough between Votto and Bruce? Does Frazier become your leftfielder and Arod's caddy, like he was to Rolen?

I wouldn't dismiss it out of hand, but would lean no. Same goes with someone like Youkilis.
For $5 mill, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Kc61
10-18-2012, 03:29 PM
The Reds need a cleanup man with power and a leadoff man.

They can't spend a fortune on both.

A-Rod at third could be the cleanup man, if he as cheap as indicated. Ludwick would move on. Frazier would play LF. That leaves leadoff/CF for other transactions.

Risky? Yes. But the Reds would have to consider it if the price is right. A-Rod for $5 million would have to be looked at.

Tom Servo
10-18-2012, 03:33 PM
H-Rod for A-Rod straight up, with the obvious financial kickbacks. Boom.

PuffyPig
10-18-2012, 03:36 PM
I don't like anything about A-Rod, other than the fact that he could conceivably bring a .850-900 OPS playing in Cincy for a few years.

He likely has a better chance to have a Ludwick type resurgence than Ludwick did.

And I think he might be a better bet than Ludwick to OPS over .850 next year.

I also think he would love to come to Cincy. The place were dying bats get new life.

10-18-2012, 03:41 PM
For $5 mill, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

He'll be 37 and 38, and has lost an average of 50 OPS points over the last three years. And he never was a good fielder and has gotten worse.

I'd rather have Rolen back, even if he repeats what he did in 2012.

10-18-2012, 03:43 PM
I don't like anything about A-Rod, other than the fact that he could conceivably bring a .850-900 OPS playing in Cincy for a few years.

He likely has a better chance to have a Ludwick type resurgence than Ludwick does.

And I think he might be a better bet than Ludwick to OPS over .850 next year.

I also think he would love to come to Cincy. The place were dying bats get new life.

A-Rod would be miserable in Cincy. He needs the bright lights of a big city. He has not one, but two paintings of himself as centaur in his house, one on the ceiling over his bed.

Wonderful Monds
10-18-2012, 03:45 PM
He'll be 37 and 38, and has lost an average of 50 OPS points over the last three years. And he never was a good fielder and has gotten worse.

I'd rather have Rolen back, even if he repeats what he did in 2012.

A-Rod used to be a pretty good SS...

westofyou
10-18-2012, 03:52 PM
So did Barry Larkin

Neither will ever see time there again

Slyder
10-18-2012, 03:57 PM
5 million per every 25 hr past 660 (I think something like that).

I don't know, I wouldn't like hearing fans give him a hard time. If I thought the town could embrace him and leave his past behind, similar to Rolen, I'd say yes. However, I don't really care to hear about Arod every day for the Reds. But I think he'd be an amazing addition to the offense. And his defense isn't statistically that bad, adding value to his WAR even last year.

No thank you, once the pr buzz wore off ARod is not the same player he use to be. There's no significant player in the organization I would offer for him. If the Yanks are paying for it just to get him out of town then yes. Playing in the Great America Small Park may help bring back some power but we should be looking for the next guy to hit 600 homers, not the guy who's already done it.

camisadelgolf
10-18-2012, 04:02 PM
He has gotten worse every year since 2007. There are stricter testing policies. He is owed over $100,000,000.00 and is under contract through 2017. That's right--even at the age of 42, he will have a salary over $20M. The media would be all over him and create a distraction for the team. At this point, Todd Frazier is probably just as good as A-Rod. There's no way it's worth the risk. Plus he probably has zero interest in coming to Cincinnati. He went to high school in Miami, so at least that idea makes some sense.

Wonderful Monds
10-18-2012, 04:32 PM
So did Barry Larkin

Right I'm just saying the claim he was never a good defender just isn't true.

Bumstead
10-18-2012, 05:05 PM
I am dismissing it out of hand...

dsmith421
10-18-2012, 05:21 PM
There is no chance of it happening in the corporeal world we inhabit. However, if the terms are similar to the post above ($5M for 2013-14, Yanks pay rest) and the cost is minor league surplus, yeah I'd do it.

We always talk about how good Dusty is at managing a clubhouse and handling a mix of veterans and young players - isn't this the kind of acquisition that perfectly matches that skill set? At the cost involved, isn't he a guy that could be jettisoned or traded quickly if he becomes a distraction?

Wonderful Monds
10-18-2012, 05:44 PM
For the record I know it won't happen

But there are a lot of places far less desirable for A-Rod to go than Cincinnati. He's a competitive person by all accounts and we're sitting in a position to be competitive for a while. I think if we're winning, Rodriguez would put his head down and play. For all the talk of needing big lights to play, Seattle and Arlington aren't exactly the most glamorous places on earth either. Plus the Reds are a historic team. I think if A-Rod thought he could become a major part of a team's history, in ending one of the league's most historic team's long championship drought, he would probably jump at that.

NJReds
10-18-2012, 05:55 PM
He'll go to St. Louis, become a model citizen, hit 50 HRs and win a gold glove. And nobody here would be surprised. ;)

Wonderful Monds
10-18-2012, 06:12 PM
He'll go to St. Louis, become a model citizen, hit 50 HRs and win a gold glove. And nobody here would be surprised. ;)

I would not be surprised in the least if they got him and put him at 1B.

10-18-2012, 06:18 PM

Don't remember, but I wouldn't be surprised if he was. I stand corrected. Thanks.

mdccclxix
10-18-2012, 06:21 PM
Rodriguez won’t ask to be traded, but he has told close friends he won’t block a deal as long as he’s going to a large-market team.

Wow, what a queen. OK, I'm off the Arod idea altogether.

westofyou
10-18-2012, 06:23 PM
Wow, what a queen. OK, I'm off the Arod idea altogether.

You think ARod wants to live in Cincinnati?

I certainly don't think he does.

10-18-2012, 06:23 PM
For the record I know it won't happen

But there are a lot of places far less desirable for A-Rod to go than Cincinnati. He's a competitive person by all accounts and we're sitting in a position to be competitive for a while. I think if we're winning, Rodriguez would put his head down and play. For all the talk of needing big lights to play, Seattle and Arlington aren't exactly the most glamorous places on earth either. Plus the Reds are a historic team. I think if A-Rod thought he could become a major part of a team's history, in ending one of the league's most historic team's long championship drought, he would probably jump at that.

I don't see ARod as committed to winning, in fact, I see something very different.

He had a chance to be known as the greatest player ever, but instead, he focused on being the highest paid player ever, numerous times. He's all about ARod.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_gja-UYWXm9g/ScyoanArtjI/AAAAAAAAAyc/ViExIU1JqjM/s400/arod.jpg

Griffey012
10-18-2012, 06:26 PM

I would, because they have a fella named Allen Craig who has had a pretty good year.

On another note, I have never really considered A-Rod an attention seeking primadonna type. Just because he has taken max money to play baseball in his career and the landed him in NY, where all the media is, doesn't equate to him craving the attention. Tebow doesn't crave the media attention and he gets it all, especially in NY. He has a WAR of 2.2 this year and one of 3.8 while limited in 2011, I wouldn't say he is done yet, an OPS of .800+ could be doable.

ARod at 3rd and Frazier to left for 5 mil a season. I would do it, it is cheaper and probably more productive than what we just had in the two spots. Ludwick has had a WAR above 2.2 3 times in his career, and just last year it was 0.3.

crazybob60
10-18-2012, 06:27 PM

They have Adams coming up there to play 1B and Craig to spell him until he is ready. So I doubt that is happening.

And I hate even seeing Homer, Corcino, or Cingrani's names brought up in trade talks of this liking.

Strikes Out Looking
10-18-2012, 06:37 PM
NO, NO, NO. And anyteam that takes him on, no matter how much money the evil empire throws at them are suckers.

Wonderful Monds
10-18-2012, 06:37 PM
They have Adams coming up there to play 1B and Craig to spell him until he is ready. So I doubt that is happening.

And I hate even seeing Homer, Corcino, or Cingrani's names brought up in trade talks of this liking.

The further thing I thought would happen was Craig to RF, Beltran to CF, but I didn't know about the prospect 1B.

cincrazy
10-18-2012, 06:43 PM
Have you guys watched how terrible he's been? He's done. No bat speed, no foot quickness. Done.

Tom Servo
10-18-2012, 07:32 PM
Have you guys watched how terrible he's been? He's done. No bat speed, no foot quickness. Done.
And yet in terms of OPS for the year, he still outproduced half of our lineup.

Also if A-Rod is a 'queen' for only wanting to play in a big market, does that make him a 'size queen'? :ughmamoru:

Wonderful Monds
10-18-2012, 08:06 PM

Broken hands will do that to you

(bat speed wise anyway)

Reds/Flyers Fan
10-18-2012, 08:10 PM
A-Rod would be miserable in Cincy. He needs the bright lights of a big city. He has not one, but two paintings of himself as centaur in his house, one on the ceiling over his bed.

Chad Johnson/Ochocinco/Johnson thrived in Cincinnati. In fact, he was just back in town for the past week despite the fact he hasn't played for the Bengals in years. "Prime Time" Neon Deion Sanders did well here too.

Besides, A-Rod also played in Arlington, Texas, hardly Gotham City.

cincrazy
10-18-2012, 08:23 PM
And yet in terms of OPS for the year, he still outproduced half of our lineup.

Also if A-Rod is a 'queen' for only wanting to play in a big market, does that make him a 'size queen'? :ughmamoru:

His OPS is trending downward, big time. It's likely to go even lower next year. And while GABP is a homer park... so is Yankee Stadium. So it's not like he'd see a monster boost in numbers thanks to the ballpark switch. ARod can't catch up to heat anymore. He can barely play defense anymore. He can't stay healthy anymore. And he's a horrible clubhouse guy, from all accounts. You think his stuff would play in that clubhouse? I can't see it.

Matt700wlw
10-18-2012, 09:18 PM
Cincinnati isn't "Hollywood" enough for A-Rod.

His desires are more off the field than on (not that I can blame him ;))

Matt700wlw
10-18-2012, 09:20 PM

No PEDs....

BCubb2003
10-18-2012, 09:32 PM
Cincinnati isn't "Hollywood" enough for A-Rod.

His desires are more off the field than on (not that I can blame him ;))

Cincinnati's Hollywood enough for Charlie Sheen ... but that doesn't make it right.

Tom Servo
10-18-2012, 09:33 PM
Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com reports that the Marlins and Dodgers Alex Rodriguez "thus far seem far less than anxious to acquire."

Heyman was simply told "no" by a Dodgers source about their potential interest, while a Marlins source answered "BS. Not happening." He adds that the phone conversation between Marlins owner Jeffrey Loria and Yankees president Randy Levine that received some pub actually occurred back in April and was simply a "lighthearted bit of banter." It's certainly possible that talks between the Yanks and Marlins or Dodgers or other teams could occur sometime over the offseason, but there's no doubting that A-Rod's contract makes him very, very difficult to move.

per rotoworld

BuckeyeRedleg
10-19-2012, 01:39 AM
ARod with NYY footing the bill.

Hell yes.

I always thought he'd play better in a smaller market anyway. And I get that he's up there in age, but we'd get way more production than we got from Rolen over the past few years and everyone loved him.

fearofpopvol1
10-19-2012, 02:03 AM
For $5M a year for 2 years, I think I'd pull the trigger. His defense is questionable, but he still may be a 4 win player. Even if you get 2 decent years out of him, that wouldn't be bad.

Raisor
10-19-2012, 07:23 AM
Here would be my demands:

1. NY pays all of his contract. Every penny.
2. NY provides enough PEDs to cover the remaining years of his contract.
3. NY spreads enough money around to make sure he never fails another test.
4. ARod agrees to never speak.

cumberlandreds
10-19-2012, 08:23 AM
Not in a million years should ARod ever be a Red. He's been a cancer in every clubhouse he's been in. It's all about him and what he wants. He would tear apart the Reds in a very short time in some way,shape or form. Plus he's just not a very good player any longer. Since being off the juice he's aging like a normal human being does. The production is slowly but surely falling off a cliff. I believe the Yankees are stuck with him. The only way they get rid of him is to waive him and eat his contract.

Sea Ray
10-19-2012, 10:33 AM
So did Barry Larkin

That's a good point. How much longer can he play 3B? What do you do with him then? The whole ARod thing revolves around the question of how well will he play from here on out? Mike Schmidt became a part time player at age 38 and retired at age 39. The Yankees were idiots to sign him through age 43. Unless he goes back on the juice, what is there to give any of you confidence that he'll produce in the next 5 yrs? I know one thing, I have no interest in the ARod I saw in the postseason. His bat was slow and he was basically a worthless player

Reds Fanatic
10-19-2012, 12:26 PM
I would not want any part of Arod being a Red even if the Yankees were giving him away for free. You want to erase all the progress this organization has made the last several years bring a clubhouse cancer like Arod in. It would set the organization back years and you would get very little production out of him.

RFS62
10-19-2012, 12:40 PM
And he's a polarizing prima donna.

Good lord, the thought of him on this Reds team is impossible to fathom.

Yep.

Maybe we could talk the Kardashians into moving to Cincy too!!

Raisor
10-19-2012, 12:47 PM
Are our boys so weak willed and gullible that if they brought ARod in it would destroy the team?

Isn't that exactly why Dusty is here?

I don't want any part of a non PED ARod because of performance. But its not like he would come to the team and start killing club house boys and corrupt Chapman. Chapman is corrupted all on his own.

Vottomatic
10-19-2012, 12:58 PM
I don't want him. He's big time on the decline.

Atleast Rolen still had the glove to go with declining offense. A-Roid is declining quickly in all facets of the game. And Rolen brought leadership and class. A-Roid brings controversy, arrogance, primadonna attitude, drama, and more drama. Other than his hot girlfriends possibly attending games at GABP, I see him bringing nothing to the table that we don't already have.

Just say no.

I'd rather have Youkilis than A-Rod.

Crosley68
10-19-2012, 01:03 PM
I never say never. Plus everyone and I mean everyone thought Jeter was "done" also. I could imagine a big comeback year coming. I am not predicting one just saying I could imagine it.

Wonderful Monds
10-19-2012, 01:09 PM
I don't want him. He's big time on the decline.

Atleast Rolen still had the glove to go with declining offense. A-Roid is declining quickly in all facets of the game. And Rolen brought leadership and class. A-Roid brings controversy, arrogance, primadonna attitude, drama, and more drama. Other than his hot girlfriends possibly attending games at GABP, I see him bringing nothing to the table that we don't already have.

Just say no.

I'd rather have Youkilis than A-Rod.

If you're not producing you're a drama queen, if you are you're a "competitor."

By all accounts the guy is a hard worker and hates losing. Apparently he was a big influence on one of our former own in Yonder Alonso.

He might be done and I can buy that no problem. But if the doctors think that hand will heal up completely and the scouts think he could hit when that happens, I don't think he would be a bad thing for the Reds.

And I'm sure it's been mentioned already, but Rolen himself was labeled a cancer in a couple cities before he came to Cincinnati and helped turn everything around.

westofyou
10-19-2012, 01:14 PM
ARod has been known as a drama queen even when even was an MVP, let's not sully the take on his game by saying it's recent, it's not.

Scott Rolen is a ballplayers player, his trouble was with managers, not teammates, not opponents, not the front office, managers.

Apples and oranges.

RedsBaron
10-19-2012, 02:23 PM
I realize the 2012 Yankees won their division and that Derek Jeter had an amazing year for a 38 year old shortstop. I still love, as a Yankee hater, the lineup the Yankees could have next season:
C-Russell Martin, age 30 (ages are players' ages by end of June 2013)
1B-Mark Teixeria, age 33
2B-Robinson Cano, age 30
SS-Jeter, age 39
3B-A-Rod, age 37
OF-Raul Ibanez, age 41
OF-Curtis Granderson, age 32
OF-Nick Swisher, age 32
DH-Eric Chavez, age 35
OF-Ichiro Suzuki, age 39

10 players who played a lot for the boys in pinstripes, and not a one under age 30. A left side of the infield with a 37 year old third baseman and a 39 year old shortstop.
I hope A-Rod stays a Yankee. :)

westofyou
10-19-2012, 02:34 PM
I realize the 2012 Yankees won their division and that Derek Jeter had an amazing year for a 38 year old shortstop. I still love, as a Yankee hater, the lineup the Yankees could have next season:
C-Russell Martin, age 30 (ages are players' ages by end of June 2013)
1B-Mark Teixeria, age 33
2B-Robinson Cano, age 30
SS-Jeter, age 39
3B-A-Rod, age 37
OF-Raul Ibanez, age 41
OF-Curtis Granderson, age 32
OF-Nick Swisher, age 32
DH-Eric Chavez, age 35
OF-Ichiro Suzuki, age 39

10 players who played a lot for the boys in pinstripes, and not a one under age 30. A left side of the infield with a 37 year old third baseman and a 39 year old shortstop.
I hope A-Rod stays a Yankee. :)

Yankees were one of 5 teams without a player under 25 on their roster, the Reds had 9, the Reds will have 27 players under 30 on their roster when the season starts, the Yankees 14

Reds Fanatic
10-19-2012, 03:42 PM
Good article here on the questions facing the Yankees going into next year:

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8523296/new-york-present-bad-questions-future-worse

Griffey012
10-19-2012, 05:39 PM
Just curious where all the reports of A-Rod being a clubhouse cancer are coming from? I tend to tune out all media stories coming out of Boston and NY, so that likely explains why I don't recall reading such reports. I am sure they are out there, anyone have links to provide?

Wonderful Monds
10-19-2012, 05:42 PM
Just curious where all the reports of A-Rod being a clubhouse cancer are coming from? I tend to tune out all media stories coming out of Boston and NY, so that likely explains why I don't recall reading such reports. I am sure they are out there, anyone have links to provide?

He has paintings of himself as a centaur hanging above his bed.

Tom Servo
10-19-2012, 07:41 PM
I'm with you, I would like some evidence. I think he's more of a nuisance than a 'cancer'. Joe Torre in his book said harsh things about him being called 'A-Fraud' behind his back by other players but apparently this was exaggerated; Torre later said it was a playful thing Larry Bowa would say to Rodriguez's face (whether he was going to play well that night and be A-Rod, or play poorly and be A-Fraud). A-Rod had a great relationship with Lou Piniella from what I can tell. He apparently didn't get along with Buck Showalter in Texas but he would hardly be the first and Showalter "has refused to say a discouraging word since Rodriguez was traded to the Yankees, even though the Rangers improved 18 games the season after Rodriguez left".

Chip R
10-20-2012, 12:35 PM
I'm with you, I would like some evidence. I think he's more of a nuisance than a 'cancer'. Joe Torre in his book said harsh things about him being called 'A-Fraud' behind his back by other players but apparently this was exaggerated; Torre later said it was a playful thing Larry Bowa would say to Rodriguez's face (whether he was going to play well that night and be A-Rod, or play poorly and be A-Fraud). A-Rod had a great relationship with Lou Piniella from what I can tell. He apparently didn't get along with Buck Showalter in Texas but he would hardly be the first and Showalter "has refused to say a discouraging word since Rodriguez was traded to the Yankees, even though the Rangers improved 18 games the season after Rodriguez left".

He's probably less of a clubhouse cancer than he is a nuisance.