PDA

View Full Version : Baseball Expansion-2 more teams which cities?

RedTruck
10-18-2012, 07:16 PM
If MLB expands, which 2 cities would you like to see get a team?

One AL, the other NL.

NL East-San Juan, Puerto Rico
AL West-Omaha, Nebraska

10-18-2012, 08:14 PM
West: Salt Lake or Portland (OR)
East: Montreal or Charlotte

dubc47834
10-19-2012, 08:28 AM
Baseball doesn't need expansion...it needs to remove at least 2 teams.

Bob Sheed
10-19-2012, 09:29 AM
If MLB expands, which 2 cities would you like to see get a team?

One AL, the other NL.

NL East-San Juan, Puerto Rico
AL West-Omaha, Nebraska

San Juan and Omaha?!

:laugh:

Nah.... if any expansion happens at all it will be:

NL East - Scranton, NY
AL West - Walla Walla, Washington

;)

Salukifan2
10-19-2012, 09:54 AM

Absolutly right. Remove the two florida teams. Both have no history and no fans. And the A's need to get the hell out of Oakland.

Captain13
10-19-2012, 10:59 AM
I think San Juan could be a viable option. I would love to see a team in Louisville, but Cincinnati and St. Louis would never let that happen. Omaha is an interesting idea; it is a small market, but could market the entire state of Nebraska. If the Yankees and Mets would allow a third team near New York, then New Jersey or Providence could certainly support a team. So after those rambling thoughts, I think if MLB were to expand it should do so in San Juan and the Northeast. I don't really care which league get which.

Salukifan2
10-19-2012, 12:10 PM
Baseball can't grow. YOu may be able to move a team from oakland, tampa, or seattle to san juan but you can't have another expansion. There were 10 teams this year averaged 60% capacity or under. and 16 teams were under 70% capacity. Baseball would be more fun with 28 teams. If you add more teams that just means the talent in the MLB will be further diluted.

webbbj
10-19-2012, 12:29 PM
memphis,tn and portland,or

dubc47834
10-19-2012, 12:53 PM
Absolutly right. Remove the two florida teams. Both have no history and no fans. And the A's need to get the hell out of Oakland.

They wouldn't contract Miami because of the new ballpark. I would say Tampa Bay because of the fans not showing up to games. What they do to win games to me is absolutely amazing. Oakland would be a possibilty as well as Seattle and KC. In the NL I think that Houston(now AL I guess) Pittsburgh and San Diego would get some consideration. These are just wild guesses tho. To me the AL would have more options, but if you took more from 1 league over the other then you would have to do a realignment and baseball just doesn't seem to want to do that.

DocRed
10-19-2012, 01:16 PM
Anchorage Alaska
Mexico City Mexico

Salukifan2
10-19-2012, 01:19 PM
memphis,tn and portland,or

Memphis is in cardinal country and is too small anyway. With seattle we've seen what happens to baseball in the pacific Northwest. The best Options in the continental 48 are Sacremento, or another team in the New York area. Perhaps Jersey, Brooklyn or a north suburb like Yonkers. It's truly unfirtunate that the castro ass holes are running Cuba or else there would probably already be a franchise in Havana. Mexico city is also very intriguing, especially if baseball really continues to grow in popularity there.

cooperlamar
10-19-2012, 03:15 PM
Las Vegas and Newark

But I'd actually be in favor of removing about 4 teams.

texasdave
10-19-2012, 03:19 PM
I say place them both in St. Louis. Those super fans can easily support 3 or 4, hell maybe even 5 teams. Just ask them. They can have their own division. Maybe form their own league.

Ohioballplayer
10-19-2012, 03:20 PM
memphis or nashville and las vegas

Salukifan2
10-19-2012, 04:00 PM
Las vegas would be worse for baseball than Miami has been. Especially after the market crashed you saw what kind of a town it was. There is no industry, if people aren't spending money then Las Vegas is always one of the hardest hit cities.

I agree with Newark. THere needs to be one more team in the New york area, for gods sake there's 20 mil people. Each borough could have its own team

Salukifan2
10-19-2012, 04:19 PM
I say place them both in St. Louis. Those super fans can easily support 3 or 4, hell maybe even 5 teams. Just ask them. They can have their own division. Maybe form their own league.

Oh, you're cute when you're bitter

texasdave
10-19-2012, 04:58 PM
Oh, you're cute when you're bitter

Just teasing our guests. Keeping things light around here. :laugh:

WDE
10-19-2012, 05:19 PM
Birmingham, AL in the NL East:
That is where I live and a lot of our residents would love to see a professional sports team there.

Las Vegas, NV in the AL West:
Beautiful city. Would love to see some games there.

BluegrassRedleg
10-19-2012, 05:28 PM

Amen. Contraction LONG overdue.

HometownHero
10-19-2012, 05:55 PM
San Antonio and Portland, both are top 25 in population density and both would have built in rivals. Las Vegas would be nice but with gambling and teh fact many sports there other than Boxing/MMA are poorly attended it may not make sense to be the first team jump in.

10-20-2012, 12:16 AM

I'd voted Portland and Montreal. But now, inspired by Texasdave, I want to change my answer.

St Louis and New York. NY with the identical rationale as TD's for STL. There ya go. Purrrrrfect.

And, if those can't work, then London. Definitely London. The NFL has been poking around there for several years. Baseball planting the flag first could be the Big 4 Sports coup of our lifetimes. Fish, chips, guiness and the 7th inning stretch. Priceless.

Salukifan2
10-20-2012, 01:00 AM
Adding any teams right now would be bad for the sport. Why start a team in San antonio when you could move the rays there. Portland won't work. Seattle has 3.5 mil and they can only filled 50% of their stadium this year. The pacific northwest is bad for baseball. It rains way too much in the summer and baseball is sort of a game for the conservative americans. Those don't exist in Portland.

LexRedsFan
10-20-2012, 01:11 AM
AL: Nashville
NL: Portland

vin19
10-20-2012, 02:35 AM
Orlando, FL for the NL
New York or Texas for the AL

Krawhitham
10-20-2012, 02:37 AM
I want to see the Las Vegas Rounders

But the last thing baseball needs is two more teams

Krawhitham
10-20-2012, 02:40 AM
Las vegas would be worse for baseball than Miami has been. Especially after the market crashed you saw what kind of a town it was. There is no industry, if people aren't spending money then Las Vegas is always one of the hardest hit cities.

I agree with Newark. THere needs to be one more team in the New york area, for gods sake there's 20 mil people. Each borough could have its own team

Miami had 2,242,803 attendance up from 1,520,562 in 2011

RedTruck
10-20-2012, 03:00 AM
I updated the thread with a poll.

Took some cities that you guys elected for, and took some other popular cities that i thought some people would want to vote for as well.

sdwagers
10-20-2012, 07:08 AM
Amen. Contraction LONG overdue.

+1 :thumbup:

dubc47834
10-20-2012, 11:09 AM
Like I said earlier, they need to contract, but I would love to see a team in Indianapolis. Indy is a huge sports town. They alreay have the Indianapolis Indians and they are pretty well supported.

Salukifan2
10-20-2012, 12:29 PM
Miami had 2,242,803 attendance up from 1,520,562 in 2011

That was because of the gimmicks of a new ball park. They still only filled 70% of their stadium on average this year. So many of the people who live in Florida have moved from other states so they already have team allegiances. And as much as Colin Cowherd annoys me he made a good point when he brought up a poll taken of Men from the ages of like 18 to 30 in florida. Less than 15% said they cared about the MLB. Football is so completely dominant in florida all year long.

The single Borough of Brooklyn (which is the most populous of the 5) has 2.5 mil people living in it. Thats more than the entire metro area of Pittsburgh, cincinnati, milwaukee, kansas city, and eqaul to tampa. And that doesn't even take into account the millions more on further out on long island. There was a time when New York had three teams and there still should be.

texasdave
10-20-2012, 01:00 PM
If you think the Yankees and the Mets are going to let another team into that area you have another think coming.

mikemo14
10-20-2012, 01:14 PM
Remove two teams- Maybe Tampa Bay and Miami due to poor attendance and go with Buck Showalters balanced schedule. 3 Home and 3 Away vs Every Major League Team (27x6= 142). Each team plays exactly the same schedule.

Salukifan2
10-20-2012, 01:21 PM
Oh i agree. I think expansion is stupid anyway. There are too many teams right now. Houston, Kansas City, Seattle, Chicago cubs, and rockies are all Tripe-A teams in the MLB. Back in the day when there were only 8 teams in each league you truly saw the best there was (excluding the black players, sadly).

It will never happen but some franchises are irrelevant and always will be. Fir instance, the rays have had a good run but that team will never be successful in tampa. Tampa is yankee country. And seattle is no good either. Once again at the bottom of the league in attendance and the bottom of the league in wins. They are an irrelevat franchise except for 2001.

mikemo14
10-20-2012, 02:30 PM
27x6= 162

texasdave
10-20-2012, 02:39 PM
1) Contract two teams. 14 teams in each league.
2) Have 2 7-team divisions.
3) Play each team in your division 20 times. (120 games)
4) Play each team in the other division in your league 6 times. (42 games)
5) Winners of the two divisions play a best of 11 with no days off. (Kinda like real baseball.)
6) League champions play a best of 15 with no days off. (Once again. Kinda like real baseball.)

Salukifan2
10-20-2012, 02:55 PM
1) Contract two teams. 14 teams in each league.
2) Have 2 7-team divisions.
3) Play each team in your division 20 times. (120 games)
4) Play each team in the other division in your league 6 times. (42 games)
5) Winners of the two divisions play a best of 11 with no days off. (Kinda like real baseball.)
6) League champions play a best of 15 with none off. (Once again. Kinda like real baseball.)

You hit the nail on the head with the no days off. If you really want to find the best team in a series you shouldn't have any days off. Unfortunately with a series longer than 9 it no one would watch it. until it got to the last few games. There will never be contraction and the new playoff format is here to stay.

More teams + more games= more money

Red Buckeye
10-22-2012, 03:44 PM
Most of the cities on this list are hilarious. The only decent pick on there is Portland, Oregon.

I could find something wrong with everyone but to pick out a few...

Montreal- Nobody cared when they had a team. They had extremely poor attendance their last few years. So no way.

Birmingham, Alabama and Omaha, Nebraska are way too small to get steady attendance 81 games a year.

Any non-American city with the exception of Canadian cities is absurd.

London is the most absurd of all of these.

Portland actually would be a good spot for a team.

But like others have said if anything MLB needs to drop a couple teams, mainly Tampa Bay.

alett12
10-22-2012, 04:07 PM
I feel like you can not really expand major league baseball much more unless you add one team to each division. How ever I could see teams being moved in the near future to make more money. The first team I could see moving is the Rays from Tampa to Orlando. The next I could see moving is Houston to a city like Salt Lake, Portland, Oklahoma City, or San Antonio.

OGB
10-22-2012, 04:21 PM
and baseball is sort of a game for the conservative americans. Those don't exist in Portland.

This is hands down one of the silliest things I've ever read on this board. I can't help but wonder what put such an ignorant idea into your head.

Salukifan2
10-23-2012, 10:18 AM
This is hands down one of the silliest things I've ever read on this board. I can't help but wonder what put such an ignorant idea into your head.

Actually every poll taken recently has shown that the only demographic that is still very interested in major league baseball is white males over 30. That demographic is the most conservative demographic in the country. Meanwhile. Portland is too liberals what Dallas is to Conservatives.

That was also the last in long line of reasons why it won't work in Portland. The main reason is because it rains every day in the summer. THe pacific northwest is awful for sports. The only highly successful franchise in the pacific northwest are the Vancouver Canucks.

Sacremento is the 20th largest media market in the country. And baseball has been successful in california. That being said, the last thing baseball needs is expansion.

The DARK
10-23-2012, 10:55 AM
Actually every poll taken recently has shown that the only demographic that is still very interested in major league baseball is white males over 30. That demographic is the most conservative demographic in the country. Meanwhile. Portland is too liberals what Dallas is to Conservatives.

That was also the last in long line of reasons why it won't work in Portland. The main reason is because it rains every day in the summer. THe pacific northwest is awful for sports. The only highly successful franchise in the pacific northwest are the Vancouver Canucks.

Sacremento is the 20th largest media market in the country. And baseball has been successful in california. That being said, the last thing baseball needs is expansion.

Just because a franchise doesn't win many championships doesn't mean it's not successful. Don't forget the about Portland Trail Blazer's sellout streak, and how the Seahawks consistently have some of the highest attendance and best facilities in the country.

I actually think that MLB expansion wouldn't be bad for the sport at all, personally. I'd like to see it expand more into the southeast (right now everything is Braves country or doesn't have a team close enough to care... Charlotte and New Orleans are the best optoins) and the Caribbean (San Juan actually sounds quite plausible). There are a lot of areas of the country where baseball still hasn't caught on yet. That said, I am of the opinion that Florida and the Bay Area don't appear to need two teams either.

LeDoux
10-23-2012, 11:10 AM

I endorse this plan. I would, however, add the Yankees and Bosox to this super league as well.

NY- (Yankees)
BOS- (Red Sox)
STL-(Cardinals)
STL-(Pujolseszz)
STL-(Beer Coaches)

bounty37h
10-23-2012, 11:27 AM
Just because a franchise doesn't win many championships doesn't mean it's not successful. Don't forget the about Portland Trail Blazer's sellout streak, and how the Seahawks consistently have some of the highest attendance and best facilities in the country.

I actually think that MLB expansion wouldn't be bad for the sport at all, personally. I'd like to see it expand more into the southeast (right now everything is Braves country or doesn't have a team close enough to care... Charlotte and New Orleans are the best optoins) and the Caribbean (San Juan actually sounds quite plausible). There are a lot of areas of the country where baseball still hasn't caught on yet. That said, I am of the opinion that Florida and the Bay Area don't appear to need two teams either.

I agree, no more teams! I would like to see a team move to Charlotte, as it would be a closer option for me to see games (right now DC or Atl is my closest MLB option, and both @ 3+ hours from me) but still not sure if they could draw enough nightly to make it.

alett12
10-23-2012, 11:42 AM
I agree, no more teams! I would like to see a team move to Charlotte, as it would be a closer option for me to see games (right now DC or Atl is my closest MLB option, and both @ 3+ hours from me) but still not sure if they could draw enough nightly to make it.

What about a team moving to Orlando? I feel like Florida can sustain two teams and the Marlins are in the right place but the Rays aren't, Orlando may not be as large population wise but if you could put a field with in the Disney complex then it would draw there is no question about that. Charlotte wouldn't be bad but I just don't see them drawing enough for it to be a good move for baseball.

alett12
10-23-2012, 11:44 AM
Montreal- Nobody cared when they had a team. They had extremely poor attendance their last few years. So no way.

]

I was talking to a group of people from Montreal this summer and they all said that the city misses having a baseball team so I wouldn't say that it would be a bad idea, they just would not fit in any division at this time.

Salukifan2
10-23-2012, 01:16 PM
Charlotte is a really interesting idea. Moving the rays to charlotte could be a very good idea. Orlando would be a terrible idea. Baseball is unbearable in Florida in the summer. Its 100 degrees with 70% humidity every day and it usually rains every afternoon. Tampa metro area has almost 500k more people than the Orlando metro area and look at the rays. Orlando is smaller than pittsburgh, tampa, and kansas city and has 0 baseball history. And in a sport where tradition means so much that means alot.

For it to work in Charlotte the team would have to be capable of drawing from all over North Carolina. Greensboro may be the best place because it's fairly equidistant from Raliegh-Durham and Charlotte. Perhaps a greater ability to draw.

And the marlins finished dead last in attendance this year with a brand new stadium in the middle of Miami, with players like Jose reyes, Hanley Ramirez, and Mike stanton. Stanton alone is worth the price of admission. Building that stadium is going to gow down as one of the greatest sport follies in history.

redsman55
10-23-2012, 09:04 PM

I would agree with this. Pitching is already thin enough.

BigPoppa
10-23-2012, 09:45 PM
While I would love to see big league baseball in Nashville, I don't see it happening in my lifetime.

1) I think Nashville would struggle to support a third major sports franchise.
2) They've been discussing a new stadium for the AAA team for 10 years or so, and still haven't gotten it done.
3) Nashville is triangulated between the Reds, Braves, and Cardinals, so I think it would be tough to establish a fan base and identity.

alett12
10-25-2012, 10:13 AM
Charlotte is a really interesting idea. Moving the rays to charlotte could be a very good idea. Orlando would be a terrible idea. Baseball is unbearable in Florida in the summer. Its 100 degrees with 70% humidity every day and it usually rains every afternoon. Tampa metro area has almost 500k more people than the Orlando metro area and look at the rays. Orlando is smaller than pittsburgh, tampa, and kansas city and has 0 baseball history. And in a sport where tradition means so much that means alot.

For it to work in Charlotte the team would have to be capable of drawing from all over North Carolina. Greensboro may be the best place because it's fairly equidistant from Raliegh-Durham and Charlotte. Perhaps a greater ability to draw.

And the marlins finished dead last in attendance this year with a brand new stadium in the middle of Miami, with players like Jose reyes, Hanley Ramirez, and Mike stanton. Stanton alone is worth the price of admission. Building that stadium is going to gow down as one of the greatest sport follies in history.

I really feel like Orlando would draw better than if they had a retractable roof stadium, for the reason that if you used Disney as the sponsor on the stadium because they are a money making machine.

Z-Fly
10-25-2012, 12:20 PM
I really feel like Orlando would draw better than if they had a retractable roof stadium, for the reason that if you used Disney as the sponsor on the stadium because they are a money making machine.

Disney's wide world of sports, has a pretty nice stadium in it. Obviously it would need work, before it could be a major league stadium.

texasdave
10-25-2012, 01:11 PM
Disney's wide world of sports, has a pretty nice stadium in it. Obviously it would need work, before it could be a major league stadium.

The Miami Mouseketeers of Orlando? I'm down!

texasdave
10-25-2012, 01:16 PM
They could relocate them to the St. Louis and call them the St. Louis Charlie Browns this time around.

I can envision their jerseys looking something like along these lines:

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSdEJRteAs3T2Wy3l5LVgIqIZY7A25vq GDCLVRyuklJBbJk4_G7

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQrF38bMeJGmjT4e3amwcl3fOoLqlLFj sJbbZG3q69PWd40uYPI

alett12
10-27-2012, 02:24 PM
The Rays are currently attempting to get out of the lease they have with tropicana which runs through the 2027 season