PDA

View Full Version : Untouchables?

Rock of Truth
10-19-2012, 10:09 AM
As I look over the potential roster for next year, one question comes to mind. Are there any current players in the Reds Organization that are Untouchable or are never going to be traded? For me, the answer is no, everyone is on the table. Now, it is going to take a really sweet deal to pry away a top of the line player. But like they say in the Godfather "make an offer we can't refuse".

The closest thing to that Untouchable status in my estimation is Billy Hamilton. Because he has so much potential to change a game but more so because he is playing for cheap.

webbbj
10-19-2012, 10:20 AM
I dont know if anyone is untouchable but im not of the opinion that billy hamilton is untouchable.

Probably Votto, phillips, cueto, latos, chapman. But like you said if someone comes with an off the wall offer then sure anything is up for discussion.

alwaysawarrior
10-19-2012, 10:26 AM
I would say Votto, Ceuto, and Latos. Anyone else could be had for the right deal.

joshua
10-19-2012, 11:44 AM
As far as prospects? Hamilton, Corcino and Cingrani should (at least in my opinion) be untouchable. This is a club has building from the inside out and relies heavily on pitching.

Billy is already a beast...at least from a marketing perspective. There are only a handful of minor league guys who have gotten that amount of attention he has in recent years. And that list includes names like Harper and Trout. When you have a guy being talked about that much while your big league club is battling for the best record in baseball all season, you keep ahold of him.

Corcino and Cingrani are both great pitching talent that are young...this is exactly what you need a surplus of to build a team that competes year in and year out.

webbbj
10-19-2012, 12:16 PM
As far as prospects? Hamilton, Corcino and Cingrani should (at least in my opinion) be untouchable. This is a club has building from the inside out and relies heavily on pitching.

Billy is already a beast...at least from a marketing perspective. There are only a handful of minor league guys who have gotten that amount of attention he has in recent years. And that list includes names like Harper and Trout. When you have a guy being talked about that much while your big league club is battling for the best record in baseball all season, you keep ahold of him.

Corcino and Cingrani are both great pitching talent that are young...this is exactly what you need a surplus of to build a team that competes year in and year out.

I agree with this. Our top prospects should be guarded heavily and I would only trade them in a package of other top prospects to keep the organizational flow in tact.

For our guys already in the majors, unless the team just all of a sudden tanks they should only be had for big impact players right now.

swaisuc
10-19-2012, 12:32 PM
I would say Votto, Ceuto, and Latos. Anyone else could be had for the right deal.

I would add Chapman and probably Phillips.

Prospects are never untouchable IMO.

Captain13
10-19-2012, 12:33 PM
I would add Chapman and probably Phillips.

Prospects are never untouchable IMO.

I would not add Chapman. I think we only have 2 years left on his deal, so if we can get a great deal we should take it.

webbbj
10-19-2012, 01:31 PM
I would not add Chapman. I think we only have 2 years left on his deal, so if we can get a great deal we should take it.

agree as a starter he would be untouchable. as a reliever hes expendable.

joshua
10-19-2012, 01:38 PM
I would keep Chapman as a closer...when you have someone who is one of the best in baseball at what he does, you don't change it. If it ain't broken...not t mention Chapman will be cheaper to extend as a strict closer.

And we already have a core of solid young starters with more in the system...no need to mess with Chapman. This formula is working.

Maker_84
10-19-2012, 01:52 PM
after this choke and collapse i would hope there aren't too many untouchables. This team needs players who can deliver in the clutch

RedsBrick
10-19-2012, 02:29 PM
I believe there are untouchables - Votto, Latos, Chapman and for me, Phillips. I guess I might throw in Cueto as well. Those guys are the core of this team. It would have to be a heck of a deal to unload Bruce too.

My question is this: for those of you with the opinion that there are no untouchables, what is a good enough deal to part ways with the players most would describe as the core of this team moving forward?

Krawhitham
10-20-2012, 03:34 AM
Votto & Ceuto and maybe Chapman

BluegrassRedleg
10-20-2012, 05:09 AM
I don't think they have an "untouchable" guy. Closest things to it would be Chapman, Cueto, Latos.

sdwagers
10-20-2012, 08:04 AM
I would say Votto, Cueto, and Latos. Anyone else could be had for the right deal.

this :thumbup: plus Phillips. Anyone else on the MLB roster can be dealt.

Prospect wise - I agree that Hamilton, Corcino, Cingrani...

texasdave
10-20-2012, 01:23 PM
Drew Stubbs. Oh, my bad. I thought it the thread title read "Untradeables". :eek:

dMaus14
10-20-2012, 07:15 PM
Votto, Latos, Cueto, Chapman. That's it! No prospect should be untouchable: see Joaquin Aries, Brandon Larson, Brandon Wood, Ryan Wagner, Corey Patterson, Drew Henson and Lastings Milledge. If I could get another SP and either a leadoff batter or 4 hole (for longer than 2-3 years) with Billy Hamilton in the package I am down! And so should you!

texasdave
10-20-2012, 07:40 PM
nm

HometownHero
10-20-2012, 08:52 PM
Nobody should be untouchable, if someone is willing to overpay anyone should be available.

KYRedLeg
10-20-2012, 09:47 PM
Drew Stubbs. Oh, my bad. I thought it the thread title read "Untradeables". :eek:

He's on the list of untouchables for other teams.

joshua
10-21-2012, 02:37 AM
A lot of you underestimate the power of having young rotation arms throughout the minors. It's the number one strength to building a long term contender. We have three maybe four great arms on the farm right now...thats a good amount but not the surplus I would personally want before trading prospects. This isn't a team that only has a few years to compete. We have key players locked up, and I'd rather develop the rest of the pieces rather than trade them away.

Latos was a huge step on getting over the hump, but you have to remember we dealt position players, blocked position players at that, to get him, not potential rotation pieces.

The clubs #1 goal should still be having a pipeline of pitchers ready to contribute. If we need a position player, I'd rather go the route of trusting our scouts and Walt to find an undervalued free agent (like we did Ludwick) rather than overpay for a guy with either cash on the market or giving up any of our young bloods. There's no such thing as too much young pitching. Cheap and consistent bats are much easier to come by. When you play 81 games at Great American what's harder to come by and more valuable?

dMaus14
10-21-2012, 04:11 AM
I don't think anyone is talking about trading prospects for one year or two year rentals. If I could have traded Billy Hamilton for Justin Upton at the deadline I would have in a heartbeat. Yes we would have paid more money, but with Phillips, Votto, Upton and Bruce at the heart of your line up you could go low cost guys everywhere else.

I agree with pitching in the minor leagues but if Corcinco or Stephenson names come up in deals where we can get controllable proven MLB starters for 3+ years you can bet I will look hard into the trade.