PDA

View Full Version : Manager John Farrell hired by/traded to Boston

Tom Servo
10-21-2012, 02:23 AM
http://i2.cdn.turner.com/si/2012/baseball/mlb/10/05/red-sox-john-farrell-manager-talks.ap/farrell.jpg

Mike Aviles will be the return for Toronto and they may unload a bad contract like Adam Lind on Boston as well.

Phhhl
10-21-2012, 02:30 AM
Why is this guy such a hot commodity? I am not trying to be glib. I just don't know why I keep hearing his name. It is not like the Jays have been especially successful recently. Is there a backstory?

Tom Servo
10-21-2012, 02:48 AM
Why is this guy such a hot commodity? I am not trying to be glib. I just don't know why I keep hearing his name. It is not like the Jays have been especially successful recently. Is there a backstory?
He was the Red Sox pitching coach from 2006-2010. He seemed to be the obvious choice as Francona's successor, but before 2011 it didn't seem like Francona was going anywhere anytime soon so Farrell interviewed for and landed the Toronto job. Of course, Boston then fires Francona after the 2011 season and wanted the now departed Farrell, but Toronto said it would not allow any 'lateral moves' from it's employees.

http://m.mlb.com/bos/news/article/2011102525789154/

Basically, it was inevitable.

cincinnati chili
10-21-2012, 04:36 AM

Red Sox ownership knows him and they're comfortable with him. They don't want any surprises this time.

I'm not saying it's a good decision or bad decision, but that's the reason.

dougdirt
10-21-2012, 11:12 AM

The AL East is really, really tough. Put that Blue Jays team in the AL Central and they might have run away with the division.

LegallyMinded
10-21-2012, 11:40 AM

I was perplexed by Boston's fixation on John Farrell as well, but then I thought of the Reds' own infatuation with Dusty Baker. Sometimes ownership just seems to think a guy is a good fit in an organization, even if there might not be an entirely rational reason for it.