PDA

View Full Version : Shohei Otani, 18, wants MLB career

camisadelgolf
10-21-2012, 07:27 PM
He's planning skipping Japan's amateur draft to pursue a career in MLB.
http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/8532919/shohei-otani-japanese-high-school-fireballer-opting-mlb

Japanese high school pitcher Shohei Otani says he will pursue a career in Major League Baseball instead of turning professional in Japan.

Shohei Otani, a right-hander whose fastball has surpassed 99 mph, has been scouted by several MLB teams including the Dodgers and Red Sox.
Otani, a 6-foot-4 right-hander who has thrown a fastball between 99 and 100 mph, has been scouted by several major league teams including the Los Angeles Dodgers and Boston Red Sox.

jojo
10-21-2012, 07:39 PM
Te reaction to this news might be worse than the reaction to Godzilla's attack on Tokyo...

reds1869
10-21-2012, 08:03 PM
I can't say I blame the kid. Once he makes it official the floodgates will open.

Wonderful Monds
10-21-2012, 08:35 PM
So what happens now? Obviously he skips the posting process. Everyone should be on a relatively level playing field financially given those international free agent limits that came along recently right?

Wonderful Monds
10-21-2012, 08:41 PM
And with that last statement in mind, I just want to throw this out - the Reds did not sign ANY international free agents, to my knowledge.

Chip R
10-21-2012, 09:02 PM
I could see MLB telling their teams to pass on this kid so as to not upset their relations with the Japanese league.

UKFlounder
10-21-2012, 09:07 PM
Would that be collusion? Would it matter in this situation?

I could see MLB telling their teams to pass on this kid so as to not upset their relations with the Japanese league.

marcshoe
10-21-2012, 09:21 PM
History shows again and again how nature points up the folly of man.

Chip R
10-21-2012, 09:32 PM
Would that be collusion? Would it matter in this situation?

Good question. I suppose it could be if the MLBPA wanted to make a fuss about it. I'm sure the kid fits the criteria of an amateur free agent. There's really no difference between him and some 16 year old Dominican kid.

edabbs44
10-21-2012, 09:38 PM
I had no idea that she was that young when she was on SNL.

Wonderful Monds
10-21-2012, 09:42 PM
I had no idea that she was that young when she was on SNL.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v311/artificialraven/Funny/BooThisMan.gif

dougdirt
10-21-2012, 10:37 PM
And with that last statement in mind, I just want to throw this out - the Reds did not sign ANY international free agents, to my knowledge.

I can promise you that they did. They just didn't sign any of the top end guys you hear about.

gilpdawg
10-21-2012, 10:43 PM
History shows again and again how nature points up the folly of man.

I see what you did there.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk HD

indy_dave00
10-22-2012, 03:03 AM
Nice use of Blue Oyster Cult lyrics Marc

cincinnati chili
10-22-2012, 07:47 AM
So what happens now? Obviously he skips the posting process. Everyone should be on a relatively level playing field financially given those international free agent limits that came along recently right?

For the most part, it will be no different than the limits put on Taiwanese signees or Dominican signees. I'm not sure MLB will be all that bent out of shape about it. Not sure what's so precious about MLB's relationship with the Japanese leagues.

MLB doesn't want its teams interfering with guys under contract but this guy isn't under contract. I think MLB would balk if the guy wasn't 18 yet. That's the big double standard: MLB teams can go hoodwink Latin American players (other than PUerto Rico) without any agent representation as young as 16. MLB would have a cow if they did that in Japan or any country outside the developing world.

Chip R
10-22-2012, 10:04 AM
For the most part, it will be no different than the limits put on Taiwanese signees or Dominican signees. I'm not sure MLB will be all that bent out of shape about it. Not sure what's so precious about MLB's relationship with the Japanese leagues.

I suppose the Japanese league could not make their players available for posting anymore. They could refuse to take Bobby Valentine back. ;) I may be totally wrong but I really could see the Japanese league raise a fuss over this.

MLB doesn't want its teams interfering with guys under contract but this guy isn't under contract. I think MLB would balk if the guy wasn't 18 yet. That's the big double standard: MLB teams can go hoodwink Latin American players (other than PUerto Rico) without any agent representation as young as 16. MLB would have a cow if they did that in Japan or any country outside the developing world.

You're absolutely right.

Wonderful Monds
10-22-2012, 11:02 AM
I suppose the Japanese league could not make their players available for posting anymore. They could refuse to take Bobby Valentine back. ;) I may be totally wrong but I really could see the Japanese league raise a fuss over this.

You're absolutely right.
MLB might see that as a good investment to make though. Lose the present wave of current Nippon players, but gain the entire careers of future stars who decide to take this path as well. What if Ichiro had played his whole career here?

REDREAD
10-22-2012, 11:03 AM

Well if Japan stops the posting system, then all their high end talent will bypass the Japeneese league.. They will sign with American clubs, and then possibly come back home after they've washed out of MLB..

The posting system is very profitable for Japaneese clubs.. I doubt they would ever get rid of it.

Chip R
10-22-2012, 11:13 AM
Well if Japan stops the posting system, then all their high end talent will bypass the Japeneese league.. They will sign with American clubs, and then possibly come back home after they've washed out of MLB..

The posting system is very profitable for Japaneese clubs.. I doubt they would ever get rid of it.

Not necessarily. Sure, they could come over here and sign as a free agent but they would be in the same boat with all the other amateurs. They would have to start off in rookie ball and work their way up. There's no guarantee of success. Plus they would have to play without the support system that major league teams have for their Japanese players. If they do wash out and come home, they may be blackballed and not able to play again.

It is profitable but this may not be a question of dollars and yen. It may be a question of honor.

Caveat Emperor
10-22-2012, 02:00 PM

If there was a way (short of inventing the USS Enterprise's transporter system) to get a professional team in Japan, MLB would have no problem telling the Japanese league to pound salt.

REDREAD
10-22-2012, 02:11 PM
Not necessarily. Sure, they could come over here and sign as a free agent but they would be in the same boat with all the other amateurs. They would have to start off in rookie ball and work their way up. There's no guarantee of success. Plus they would have to play without the support system that major league teams have for their Japanese players. If they do wash out and come home, they may be blackballed and not able to play again.

It is profitable but this may not be a question of dollars and yen. It may be a question of honor.

It's hard to predict what would happen, but you have to remember that every 16-18 year old kid that has "First round talent" is going to assume he's going to make it to the big leauges. That's just human nature. The big bucks and fame are in the USA.. Japan is a glorified AAAA league and the Japaneese players know it. IMO, Shohei is probably the first of a wave of kids that are going to completely skip the Japaneese minor league system.

I think the support system is somewhat overrated.. Japan is not that much different than America.. Millions of Asians from developed nations like Japan come over here (immigration or H1 visas) and adjust pretty seamlessly.

Tadasimha
10-22-2012, 05:57 PM
Pound salt?

Wonderful Monds
10-22-2012, 07:58 PM
Pound salt?

We're on the same page on that one. :lol:

Wonderful Monds
10-22-2012, 08:00 PM
In case Doug pokes back in here, what amount of the yearly allocated budget have we spent and what might we have available for this guy?

dougdirt
10-22-2012, 08:16 PM
In case Doug pokes back in here, what amount of the yearly allocated budget have we spent and what might we have available for this guy?

Don't have a clue. 90% of signings generally go unreported to the fans. You figure that each team probably signs 10-20 guys a year. So let's just round it to 15. 15 guys for 30 teams is 450 players. We generally know about the signings of maybe 50 of them.

Wonderful Monds
10-22-2012, 08:17 PM
Don't have a clue. 90% of signings generally go unreported to the fans. You figure that each team probably signs 10-20 guys a year. So let's just round it to 15. 15 guys for 30 teams is 450 players. We generally know about the signings of maybe 50 of them.

That's weird. Do a good number of them not get assigned to rosters or something, for some reason?

dougdirt
10-22-2012, 08:22 PM
That's weird. Do a good number of them not get assigned to rosters or something, for some reason?

Well, most of the guys signed will never even make it to the United States. They will play a year or three in the Dominican or Venezuelan Summer Leagues and never get called stateside and then be released. The signing period doesn't start until July 2nd, and even then, not everyone is eligible to sign right away. So most of the guys who do sign in a given signing period, don't even play that first year that they sign because by the time they get signed and all of the paperwork is done, the foreign season leagues are finished. So most of them begin their career, 8-10 months after they have signed and are playing in the Dominican or in Venezuela. Baseball America and the likes generally only talk about the guys who are signing the real bonuses, $300,000 and higher. There aren't many of those guys, so those 30-50 guys get talked about and the rest are generally found out for the first time when each team starts releasing their media guides the next year and nerds like me go through and find out who signed during the previous signing period but didn't get a chance to play yet.

Wonderful Monds
10-22-2012, 08:24 PM
Well, most of the guys signed will never even make it to the United States. They will play a year or three in the Dominican or Venezuelan Summer Leagues and never get called stateside and then be released. The signing period doesn't start until July 2nd, and even then, not everyone is eligible to sign right away. So most of the guys who do sign in a given signing period, don't even play that first year that they sign because by the time they get signed and all of the paperwork is done, the foreign season leagues are finished. So most of them begin their career, 8-10 months after they have signed and are playing in the Dominican or in Venezuela. Baseball America and the likes generally only talk about the guys who are signing the real bonuses, $300,000 and higher. There aren't many of those guys, so those 30-50 guys get talked about and the rest are generally found out for the first time when each team starts releasing their media guides the next year and nerds like me go through and find out who signed during the previous signing period but didn't get a chance to play yet.

Right on. The difference between all the teams organizations have below, like, Low-A has always been really murky to me.

cincinnati chili
10-23-2012, 04:37 AM
If there was a way (short of inventing the USS Enterprise's transporter system) to get a professional team in Japan, MLB would have no problem telling the Japanese league to pound salt.

I've brought it up on this board before. Tokyo is a huge market and it would be doable. The way you'd do it is by letting the Tokyo team rotate one month at home and one month on the road. Visiting teams would come in for 6 or 7 game serieses. Cash. cow.

They don't need the starship enterprise. Maybe buying one of the old Concord supersonic jets would be a good investment though.

cincinnati chili
10-23-2012, 04:55 AM
I suppose the Japanese league could not make their players available for posting anymore.

If this became an epidemic, one thing the Japanese league might consider doing is letting its players become free agents after 6 years of service rather than 10.