PDA

View Full Version : At least the Cards lost

RedEye
10-22-2012, 11:59 PM
I know the "post-season scoreboard watching..." thread might already have covered some of this sentiment. But I just wanted to put it out there.

That is all.

Roy Tucker
10-23-2012, 12:01 AM
I get no joy out of it.

VR
10-23-2012, 12:04 AM
The off season just got better.

*BaseClogger*
10-23-2012, 12:05 AM
Anybody else following the hilarious Baseball's Best Fans account on Twitter? https://mobile.twitter.com/BestFansStLouis

RedEye
10-23-2012, 12:06 AM
I get no joy out of it.

No joy. Just less pain.

Dom Heffner
10-23-2012, 12:37 AM
Anybody else following the hilarious Baseball's Best Fans account on Twitter? https://mobile.twitter.com/BestFansStLouis

Wow...homophobia run rampant.

Rojo
10-23-2012, 12:38 AM

Wow. Quite the homophobe fest.

Gizmo
10-23-2012, 12:53 AM
It's almost like they forgot they shouldn't have even been in the playoffs.

Tom Servo
10-23-2012, 01:01 AM
No joy. Just less pain.
This. I think it would be sour grapes to root against the Giants. But to root for your division rival not to win? That's baseball.

Slyder
10-23-2012, 01:46 AM
This. I think it would be sour grapes to root against the Giants. But to root for your division rival not to win? That's sports.

Fixed that for you. I feel the same way in football, I always cheer for the AFC team in the Super Bowl unless its Denver, KC, NE (I usually just hope for great commercials). Just can't bring myself to cheer for any of them for a wide range of reasons.

I likewise feel the pain lessen knowing that I won't have to put up with the sports world slobbering all over St Louis as they "do it again". I'll likely watch at least some of the series as I don't have any real problems with either Detroit or San Fran because the hurt was self inflicted as we failed so many times vs San Fran. Cardiac Kids is usually a pretty good storyline in sports and we'll see if the "underdog" who has "perceivered" through so much this post season has a play on the national stage and boosts ratings higher than what SF vs Det normally would carry.

Redlegs
10-23-2012, 06:29 AM
I find baseball's new playoff format a little hard to take. Consider the Cardinals won the world series last year when they finished 5 or 6 games behind Milwaukee. Add to that the fact they were within a game of going back there when they finished 9 games behind the Reds would have been tough to watch.

Baseball is like no other game. You have 162 games to state your case. The Cards didn't get it done during the season. In fact, fell far short. I know most people probably favor the wild card stuff. Maybe it's a good thing. But adding a 2nd wild card was over the top, in my opinion. Having the 5th best team in the NL almost make the world series should open some eyes.

Red in Chicago
10-23-2012, 06:57 AM

Wow:thumbdown:

Strikes Out Looking
10-23-2012, 07:51 AM
Anytime the Cardinals lose I feel a sense of relief.

Chip R
10-23-2012, 08:59 AM
Ah, Chris Carpenter. You never disappoint.

Cain exacted some revenge on Holliday as well, burying a fastball into his back in the top of the sixth inning, vengeance for his hard takeout slide at second base on eventual NLCS MVP Marco Scutaro in Game 2. Cardinals starter Chris Carpenter screamed from the dugout: This was not the time, the place, for payback. The Giants begged to differ.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/cardinals-reach-breaking-point-with-snap-of-hunter-pence-s-bat-23060809.html

*BaseClogger*
10-23-2012, 09:03 AM
Wow:thumbdown:

I just want to make it clear that I find it funny for the irony associated with it, and not that I find these peoples' actual tweets as humorous...

cumberlandreds
10-23-2012, 09:28 AM

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/cardinals-reach-breaking-point-with-snap-of-hunter-pence-s-bat-23060809.html (http://sports.yahoo.com/news/cardinals-reach-breaking-point-with-snap-of-hunter-pence-s-bat-23060809.html)

Ah gee...Now I have to go talk to my son about this.

Feel a little better knowing nearly the same thing that happened to the Reds happened to their biggest rival. Makes the World Series a little more bearable too.

HeatherC1212
10-23-2012, 09:31 AM
Anyone else loving the irony that the last out of the game was an actual infield fly??! :laugh:

OldXOhio
10-23-2012, 10:10 AM
Cain exacted some revenge on Holliday as well, burying a fastball into his back in the top of the sixth inning, vengeance for his hard takeout slide at second base on eventual NLCS MVP Marco Scutaro in Game 2. Cardinals starter Chris Carpenter screamed from the dugout: This was not the time, the place, for payback. The Giants begged to differ.

Thank the Lord that baseball has Chris Carpenter to explain even the unwritten rules of baseball at a time when so many know so little.

RedEye
10-23-2012, 10:10 AM

Ah yes, the lunatic homophobe fringe. Wouldn't be online sports coverage without them, would it?

lidspinner
10-23-2012, 10:34 AM
honestly, this is not a joke, but who does Chris Carpenter think he is? No one, and i mean no one, is exempt from taking a fastball to the back....not even Babe Ruth....I dont care if its game 7 of the World Series you make your point the way you see fit as long as your not aiming at ones head or hands, if you can put one from the buttocks to the mid back then I think its ok.....yes I would feel the same way if Votto was the one getting plunked.....

I wish Baseball would go back to the day where pitchers brushed guys back each inning if they need to and batters that need hit get hit on occasion.....the game has become one where when a batter gets hit it gets analyzed over and over why he got hit. If you do something to where both teams understand the payback then it will stop there.....if you give payback where teams dont feel like the deserve it then it will continue....I love the days where teams actually had a burning hate for the team in the other dugout......

nowadays with free agency and players jumping ship every few years, players dont want to burn a bridge so they almost hold hands and sing God Bless America in the 7th inning together.....I am all for sportsmanship but I think we have taken it to far.....Chris Carpenter takes it to a whole new level, I like his old school attitude but I dont like his new school way of announcing it to anyone with a set of ears.

Sea Ray
10-23-2012, 10:47 AM
I must admit I do find some solace in seeing another team do exactly what our Reds did: blow three straight series clinching games to the Giants. Congrats SF

Sea Ray
10-23-2012, 10:49 AM
Wow. Quite the homophobe fest.

It's locker room talk, not sensitivity training. Being politically correct is not a prerequisite in every venue

Brutus
10-23-2012, 10:52 AM
It's locker room talk, not sensitivity training. Being politically correct is not a prerequisite in every venue

Public social media is a locker room?

10-23-2012, 10:59 AM

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/cardinals-reach-breaking-point-with-snap-of-hunter-pence-s-bat-23060809.html

And I remember Cards fans on this board claiming that Chris Carpenter was just like Bon Gibson :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Sea Ray
10-23-2012, 11:01 AM
Public social media is a locker room?

It's the equivalent of locker room talk, indeed

mdccclxix
10-23-2012, 11:03 AM
That SS they have will be out of job in a few days.

NJReds
10-23-2012, 11:05 AM
Happy that the Cards aren't in the World Series, but somehow this makes Game 3 v. the Giants sting a little more. So close ...

kbrake
10-23-2012, 11:05 AM
Every time I start to think maybe I should just get over my strong level of dislike for all things Cardinals, Chris Carpenter does something to remind me of why I feel the way I do about that team.

As far as the way Cardinals fans were talking about the Giants and the city of SF there is a difference between being "PC" and flat out hate speech. They crossed a line over and over throughout the series.

cumberlandreds
10-23-2012, 11:11 AM
And I remember Cards fans on this board claiming that Chris Carpenter was just like Bon Gibson :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Or more like Jon Bon Jovi. :)

traderumor
10-23-2012, 11:18 AM
So, Mr. Carpenter, it was the time and place for Holliday to take out Scutaro? Please provide chapter and verse of "Baseball the Cardinals (and Right) Way: How we invented the game as we know it" that provides to the baseball world the time and place for proper retaliation. I bet its on the same page as the "Aaron Harang--Headhunter and Public Enemy" illustration.

Chip R
10-23-2012, 11:24 AM
Or more like Jon Bon Jovi. :)

Or Bon Scott?

10-23-2012, 11:25 AM

I hate PC garbage as well, but that wasn't locker room talk, or just Un-PC. That was disgusting, vile and hateful. The N word was used several times. I've been in plenty of locker rooms, and heard lots of locker room talk. never heard any talk like that, ever.

CarolinaRedleg
10-23-2012, 11:27 AM
Think an entire offseason is enough time to adequately explain things to his son?

Brutus
10-23-2012, 11:29 AM
It's the equivalent of locker room talk, indeed

I don't see how making comments in a public forum is anything remotely like locker room talk, where there is an expectation of privacy.

Chip R
10-23-2012, 11:30 AM
So, Mr. Carpenter, it was the time and place for Holliday to take out Scutaro? Please provide chapter and verse of "Baseball the Cardinals (and Right) Way: How we invented the game as we know it" that provides to the baseball world the time and place for proper retaliation. I bet its on the same page as the "Aaron Harang--Headhunter and Public Enemy" illustration.

Game 8?
February 30th?
13 O'Clock?

Sea Ray
10-23-2012, 11:59 AM
I don't see how making comments in a public forum is anything remotely like locker room talk, where there is an expectation of privacy.

Most sports public forums are not like RZ. It's very much like a locker room and there's no political correctness

Rojo
10-23-2012, 12:18 PM
What locker rooms are these?

Brutus
10-23-2012, 12:35 PM
Most sports public forums are not like RZ. It's very much like a locker room and there's no political correctness

For starters, I really don't see where locker rooms are excluded from making hateful, bigoted or racist comments. But let's set that aside for a second...

When you make comments in a group of people, you're limited to only that group of people hearing the comments. When you make comments on a forum or on a social media site that is not protected, you literally are making comments that anyone in the world can see. It's not remotely the same.

westofyou
10-23-2012, 01:00 PM
At least the Cards lost so we could debate the merits of hate speech (something that I thought had no merits but evidently I was wrong)

PuffyPig
10-23-2012, 01:16 PM
And it may be time to remind us all of what MikeThiery advised us as we going into the off season:

"The amount of butt hurt in this forum right now is on comedic levels. Taking your anger out on the Cards for pulling out a victory while your team FAILED to just win one game at home makes some of you look like sore losers. Accusing the Cardinals of cheating and it contributing to their wins makes some of you look low class. Have fun brooding in the off season. " MikeThiery

It looks like we will have at least have company brooding in the offseason.

Caveat Emperor
10-23-2012, 01:18 PM
Every day the Cardinals lose is a good day.

Yesterday was a good day.

AmarilloRed
10-23-2012, 01:20 PM
It would have been hard to see them go to 2 straight World Series.

OesterPoster
10-23-2012, 02:08 PM
I haven't checked the box scores to verify my eye test...but could it be that Holliday's "slide" worked as a reverse squirrel rally this postseason? How many runs were scored by SF and STL after that incident?

Unassisted
10-23-2012, 02:16 PM
I've grown tired of the rivalry with the Cards.

Can we spend next season hating the Giants, instead? It'd be nice to face a bitter rival ~6 times a year, instead of 6 times a month. :p

Sea Ray
10-23-2012, 02:41 PM
For starters, I really don't see where locker rooms are excluded from making hateful, bigoted or racist comments. But let's set that aside for a second...

When you make comments in a group of people, you're limited to only that group of people hearing the comments. When you make comments on a forum or on a social media site that is not protected, you literally are making comments that anyone in the world can see. It's not remotely the same.

I agree there's a lot of differences but the language used is not one of them. If there's no moderation in a site, expect the speech to be locker room quality. It didn't surprise me at all, nor was it anything I hadn't been exposed to before

Dom Heffner
10-23-2012, 03:10 PM

Seriously, you're wrong. Would you rather someone insult your family in a locker roiom or on social media where the whole world can read it?

RedEye
10-23-2012, 03:20 PM
Hate speech is not defensible in any forum IMO. It does take place in lots of them, and that's too bad. Hopefully in generations to come, certain homophobic words will be just a taboo as the "N" word is now. I'd say society is heading that way -- but nor for awhile.

Oh well. At least the Cards lost.

Sea Ray
10-23-2012, 03:47 PM
Seriously, you're wrong. Would you rather someone insult your family in a locker roiom or on social media where the whole world can read it?

I'm not saying it's right. I'm saying in reality it happens.

Tom Servo
10-23-2012, 04:43 PM
There are still people on twitter who unironically use the #bestfansinbaseball hashtag when talking about the Cardinals. God they are the worst, and the networks just heap on the praise.

westofyou
10-23-2012, 04:52 PM
There are still people on twitter who unironically use the #bestfansinbaseball hashtag when talking about the Cardinals. God they are the worst, and the networks just heap on the praise.

http://deadspin.com/5954046

“3 words… FIRE MIKE MATHENY”: The Best Fans In Baseball Are Having A Major Meltdown

Best fans in baseball?

Ha!

RichRed
10-23-2012, 05:01 PM
I love that the Cardinals lost. LOVE it. I know it doesn't make up for the Reds getting knocked out, but it'll have to do.

Sea Ray
10-23-2012, 05:05 PM
I love that the Cardinals lost. LOVE it. I know it doesn't make up for the Reds getting knocked out, but it'll have to do.

Call it a guilty pleasure or whatever but I concur...:thumbup:

Tadasimha
10-23-2012, 05:26 PM
Hate speech is not defensible in any forum IMO. It does take place in lots of them, and that's too bad. Hopefully in generations to come, certain homophobic words will be just a taboo as the "N" word is now. I'd say society is heading that way -- but nor for awhile.

Oh well. At least the Cards lost.

Well said. :thumbup:

VR
10-23-2012, 05:30 PM
McCarver and Buck were downright depressed last night. Very enjoyable.

On another note, when will baseball come to it's senses and get a broadcast team that people will actually enjoy, not just put up with?

MattyHo4Life
10-23-2012, 06:42 PM
Anyone else an instant Tigers fan like I am? lol

Strikes Out Looking
10-23-2012, 08:31 PM
McCarver and Buck were downright depressed last night. Very enjoyable.

On another note, when will baseball come to it's senses and get a broadcast team that people will actually enjoy, not just put up with?

And its not just Reds fans who complain about those two dimwits. During the championship series, I had friends of both the Cardinals and the Giants who complained about them.

paulrichjr
10-24-2012, 10:47 AM
Unfortunately for my 2 boys I influenced them to become Reds fans instead of Cardinals fans like everyone else is in my area. Most people that know my boys and me know that we are big Reds fans so of course I take grief a lot....especially since my wife and her entire family are Cardinals fans. We watched the final game and immediately when it ended my oldest son said he was calling one of his teachers to gloat. I wouldn't let him because I said he probably went to bed 30 minutes ago when all hope was gone. He didn't like that too much. Yesterday after school the teacher called me and said, "Paul you are a bigger man than me." I laughed because I remembered the text messages I had gotten (from him) a few days before saying something about the Reds choking. Most of you guys have it easy. You live in Reds country or some other teams country and don't have to put up with this stuff all of the time. I have grown to "loathe" the Cardinals fans as much as some on here loathe Chris Carpenter. Did I relish the Giants beating the Cardinals? Some, but to be honest I spent most of the time saying, "this should have been the Reds." The pain of this season isn't going away like it did in 1999 (which hurt really bad), or 2010. I am happy the Cardinals lost but I am way more upset that the Reds didn't win.

traderumor
10-24-2012, 10:52 AM
Anyone else an instant Tigers fan like I am? lol
No, mission was accomplished with the Cardinals losing. No rooting interest here.

Patrick Bateman
10-24-2012, 10:59 AM
Did I relish the Giants beating the Cardinals? Some, but to be honest I spent most of the time saying, "this should have been the Reds." The pain of this season isn't going away like it did in 1999 (which hurt really bad), or 2010. I am happy the Cardinals lost but I am way more upset that the Reds didn't win.

Same as me. I think we would have beat the Cards. Maybe even dismantled them. One Jay Bruce swing or one of another million combinations that we were one short of, and maybe we would have gotten that chance.

Reds/Flyers Fan
10-24-2012, 03:03 PM
And it may be time to remind us all of what MikeThiery advised us as we going into the off season:

"The amount of butt hurt in this forum right now is on comedic levels. Taking your anger out on the Cards for pulling out a victory while your team FAILED to just win one game at home makes some of you look like sore losers. Accusing the Cardinals of cheating and it contributing to their wins makes some of you look low class. Have fun brooding in the off season. " MikeThiery

It looks like we will have at least have company brooding in the offseason.

Looks like MikeThiery was simply previewing the disaster that was the Cardinals vs. the Giants.

Seriously, there are few things in sports that don't directly involve my teams winning that were more enjoyable than watching the Cards implode like that. Have a long, cold, bitter offseason, so-called "best fans in baseball." :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

:beerme:

Oh, and Cards fans: San Francisco is 8 million times the city that St. Louis is.

RedEye
10-24-2012, 03:44 PM
"The amount of butt hurt in this forum right now is on comedic levels."

Butt hurt? Maybe I was born under a rock, but I'm missing the reference here.

Tom Servo
10-24-2012, 05:16 PM
It's an internet expression that means to get all bent out of shape.

The thing I never understood about Mike's rant is that while we were obviously raging a bit towards the Cardinals, nobody actually used the term cheater or stated outright that they were cheating (other than a link to Chris Perez saying they used some pine tar). Guilty conscience, maybe? ;)

Reds/Flyers Fan
10-24-2012, 08:32 PM
It's an internet expression that means to get all bent out of shape.

The thing I never understood about Mike's rant is that while we were obviously raging a bit towards the Cardinals, nobody actually used the term cheater or stated outright that they were cheating (other than a link to Chris Perez saying they used some pine tar). Guilty conscience, maybe? ;)

If anything, the Cardinals were cheating the system and devaluing the time-tested regular season by playing the "finish in second place, win the wild card and get hot at the right time" card again.

They were the second wild card (in its first year of existence, no less) who finished a distant 9 games out of first place and they were anything but a cute underdog, ala the 2010 Reds.

If there are such things as baseball gods, I imagine they were getting quite tired of the Cardinals too.

CrackerJack
10-24-2012, 08:50 PM
Hoping the Cards' demise also means the demise of the tired, unfunny Chris Carpenter's son jokes.

I won't hold my breath with lame sports talk hosts like McAlister in this town who continue to think its clever or funny, it's as tired as his show/schtick.

Reds/Flyers Fan
10-24-2012, 11:02 PM
Hoping the Cards' demise also means the demise of the tired, unfunny Chris Carpenter's son jokes.

I won't hold my breath with lame sports talk hosts like McAlister in this town who continue to think its clever or funny, it's as tired as his show/schtick.

Carpenter brings those reactions on himself. His idiotic reaction to the Holliday HBP is just the latest in a long line of examples. Wasn't it he who blamed a loss in Milwaukee last year on the hotel room service? And didn't he blame the second of back-to-back HRs he gave up at GABP to firework smoke from the first HR?

Chris Carpenter jokes won't get old as long as he wears that ugly uniform.

Slyder
10-25-2012, 12:05 AM
Carpenter brings those reactions on himself. His idiotic reaction to the Holliday HBP is just the latest in a long line of examples. Wasn't it he who blamed a loss in Milwaukee last year on the hotel room service? And didn't he blame the second of back-to-back HRs he gave up at GABP to firework smoke from the first HR?

Chris Carpenter jokes won't get old as long as he wears that ugly uniform.

If I could I would rep you for this and rep again asap! 100% agreement.