PDA

View Full Version : All Annoying Team

traderumor
10-29-2012, 12:51 PM
Now that the World Series is over, MLB will be keeping the addicted fed with the MLB drug, using awards and the Hot Stove League. So, to dovetail from the Postseason scoreboard watching thread, how about an All Annoying Team by position, see if we can come up with a starting eight, DH, starting rotation, bullpen, and a few bench players:

c- Yadier Molina (no explanation needed
1b-Adam LaRoche (his exagerrated follow through on his swing has always annoyed me)
2b-Neil Walker (just always has a cocky little smirk on his face, what's that about? you're a Pirate!)
ss-Derek Jeter (just get sick of hearing of his greatness)
3b Alex Rodriguez (arrogant prima donna)
lf- Nyjer Morgan (just a punk)
cf-Bryce Harper (for the same reason other teams fans' always booed Pete Rose)
rf-Hunter Pence (he swings funny, runs funny, throws funny, looks funny, is taking credit for going all Knute Rockne when the Reds had them down 2-0,
dh-Nick Swisher (fakiest enthusiasm I've every seen)
sp-Cris Carpenter (no explanation needed)
sp-Wandy Rodriguez (soft tossing lefty who has just always bugged me for no rational reason)
sp-Tim Lincecum (stringy hair, yellow teeth, stupid windup, you know, good reasons ;) )
sp-Edinson Volquez (the poster child for the type of pitcher I loathe, get ahead then nibble, nibble, nibble until full count. Also always looks dumbfounded when he doesn't succeed)
closer-Jose Valverde (just watch him pitch one time)
pinch hitter-Xavier Nady (like a bad penny, just keeps on showing up in key spots against the Reds, has always seemed to be a thorn in the Reds side)

Always Red
10-29-2012, 12:54 PM
Ah, you had me until you mentioned Jeter.

I have given in to his greatness, mostly because you never hear about it from him.

traderumor
10-29-2012, 12:57 PM
Ah, you had me until you mentioned Jeter.

I have given in to his greatness, mostly because you never hear about it from him.Yea, but I think his greatness is exaggerated and hyped due to his career happening to be with the Yankees. Put him in a less visible place, he would be considered above average, but probably not discussed as one of the greatest ever.

RedsBaron
10-29-2012, 01:04 PM
I can't vote "for" Nick Swisher. I met his mother a couple of years ago in Parkersburg, WV. She is a very nice lady, so I can't root against her son.

medford
10-29-2012, 01:12 PM
When your recognized as the "team leader" on a multiple WS winning team, are approaching Pete Rose hitting territory and have a rollidex that rivals Heff, you are most certainly not "annoying" all while rarely (if ever) touting yourself. Lengedary is the more appropriate term to describe him.

RedsManRick
10-29-2012, 01:18 PM
I'd nominate Fransisco Rodriguez for closer - petulant brat.

westofyou
10-29-2012, 01:22 PM
Hunter Pence makes me long for Eric Byrne's

Nah... not really they both annoy me

*BaseClogger*
10-29-2012, 01:25 PM
I always liked Adam LaRoche. He's had a really underrated career despite being castoff by many teams.

I'm also pretty entertained by Nyjer Morgan's antics.

No mention of Carlos Zambrano? Or was he forgotten intentionally?

bucksfan2
10-29-2012, 01:34 PM
c- Yadier Molina Yea I don't really like him. Good catcher though.
1b-Brandon Belt - Something about him pulling off the bag and running into the dugout before the call at first was made bugged me. Often times the runner was safe.
2b-Skip Schumaker - Not a good player but seemed to get his fair share of big hits.
ss-Jose Reyes - Never have cared for him. Prima donna without anything to show for it. Well except for that big contract.
3b Pablo Sandoval - Big fat panda.
lf- Nyjer Morgan - Punk is the best way to describe him. I wouldn't mind him on my team as long as he is hot.
cf- John Jay - His swing annoys me.
rf-Hunter Pence - he swings funny, runs funny, throws funny, looks funny, is taking credit for going all Knute Rockne when the Reds had them down 2-0,
dh-Every single DH - Its fake baseball!
sp-Cris Carpenter - #1 on my list
sp- Edinson Volquez - Roids, inconsistency, costs the Reds Hamilton. You name it.
sp-Tim Lincecum - The Reds should have drafted him.
closer-Jose Valverde - I watched him close a game against the Reds and thought he was a circus act.

Kc61
10-29-2012, 01:35 PM
Put a Reds uniform on all these guys and we would be praising them non-stop.

Quite a good team there.

Other teams' fans would probably replace Neil Walker at second base. A certain Reds player would undoubtedly take the spot in a non-RedsZone poll.

Dan
10-29-2012, 02:15 PM
Nyjer Morgan annoys me the most because he's done his best to waste some amazing talent. If he could have gotten it together, I think he's got enough talent to be on par with someone like Carl Crawford. Instead, he's just a dumbass.

kbrake
10-29-2012, 02:40 PM
One that I haven't seen mentioned yet is Carlos Gomez from the Brewers. Always over the top with everything he does and seems really full of himself for a bench player.

Caveat Emperor
10-29-2012, 02:44 PM
sp-Wandy Rodriguez (soft tossing lefty who has just always bugged me for no rational reason)

It's the name "Wandy" -- which makes him look like the product of two very confused fans of Dave Thomas' burger joint.

traderumor
10-29-2012, 02:50 PM
One that I haven't seen mentioned yet is Carlos Gomez from the Brewers. Always over the top with everything he does and seems really full of himself for a bench player.Yea, we could add him to the bench easily, 4th outfielder type

UKFlounder
10-29-2012, 02:51 PM
AJ Burnett has to be on there. He pitched well this year, but acting like Mr. Big Stuff in Pittsuburgh after totally flaming out in New York really did not seem appropriate.

Strikes Out Looking
10-29-2012, 02:53 PM
Broadcasters- Tim McCarver, John Sterling.

traderumor
10-29-2012, 02:54 PM
Put a Reds uniform on all these guys and we would be praising them non-stop.

Quite a good team there.

Other teams' fans would probably replace Neil Walker at second base. A certain Reds player would undoubtedly take the spot in a non-RedsZone poll.I don't think it works that way. Some of these guys would be rode hard and put away wet if they played for the Reds. Although I will say when its a guy on your team, there is more grace to their personality issues if they perform. If they don't, it gets brutal.

Big Klu
10-29-2012, 02:56 PM
Yea, but I think his greatness is exaggerated and hyped due to his career happening to be with the Yankees. Put him in a less visible place, he would be considered above average, but probably not discussed as one of the greatest ever.

I became a Derek Jeter fan in 2006 when the first World Baseball Classic was played. I had never really had an opinion on him before that--I realized that he was a good player and an All-Star, but that was it. I didn't give him extra credit nor did I penalize him for his New York connections.

However, when you watch him playing on a daily basis for the team you are rooting for (in this case, Team USA), you appreciate just how good he really is. Physically, he is an outstanding player, but his mental focus is so much greater than the average player. If you liked the way Barry Larkin played, you would love Jeter. (Larkin is the better defensive player, but Jeter has proved to be more durable.)

Derek Jeter can play for my team anytime.

Wonderful Monds
10-29-2012, 02:57 PM
Jared Hughes, Sergio Romo, and Brian Wilson all need to be in the pen

traderumor
10-29-2012, 02:57 PM
When your recognized as the "team leader" on a multiple WS winning team, are approaching Pete Rose hitting territory and have a rollidex that rivals Heff, you are most certainly not "annoying" all while rarely (if ever) touting yourself. Lengedary is the more appropriate term to describe him.I don't like him.

traderumor
10-29-2012, 02:58 PM
Jared Hughes, Sergio Romo, and Brian Wilson all need to be in the penDefinitely good bullpen additions. Papelbon?

UKFlounder
10-29-2012, 02:59 PM
"Annoying is in the eye of the beholder" or something like that...

*BaseClogger*
10-29-2012, 03:11 PM
What's wrong with Romo?

RedsBaron
10-29-2012, 03:25 PM
What's wrong with Romo?

He threw four interceptions yesterday afternoon in the Cowboys' loss to New York. ;)

camisadelgolf
10-29-2012, 03:29 PM
For 2b, I'd nominate Brandon Phillips. Although he's good to the fans, he's especially annoying otherwise (on-field antics, in interviews, etc.). However, he's a Red, so we don't really look at it that way.

Wonderful Monds
10-29-2012, 03:30 PM
What's wrong with Romo?

I think it's the save celebration he does every time. So obnoxious.

Wonderful Monds
10-29-2012, 03:31 PM
For 2b, I'd nominate Brandon Phillips. Although he's good to the fans, he's especially annoying otherwise (on-field antics, in interviews, etc.). However, he's a Red, so we don't really look at it that way.

"on field antics"?

Oh right, I forgot you had some kind of weird vendetta against Brandon Phillips.

REDREAD
10-29-2012, 03:35 PM
Brian Wilson? Is that his name.. the injured closer for the Giants with the huge beard that uses nail polish, etc?

I didn't mind the constant camera shots of him when he was actually playing and when he was good.. It was annoying as heck to see his ugly mug every 5 min during the LDS series.. the guy is injured and a nonfactor.. He's just getting camera time because he looks like a freak..

Wonderful Monds
10-29-2012, 03:35 PM
Brian Wilson? Is that his name.. the injured closer for the Giants with the huge beard that uses nail polish, etc?

I didn't mind the constant camera shots of him when he was actually playing and when he was good.. It was annoying as heck to see his ugly mug every 5 min during the LDS series.. the guy is injured and a nonfactor.. He's just getting camera time because he looks like a freak..

Yeah, and he's just an obnoxious guy altogether. Tries way too hard to be some kind of "character"

camisadelgolf
10-29-2012, 03:40 PM
"on field antics"?

Oh right, I forgot you had some kind of weird vendetta against Brandon Phillips.
My only thing against BP is that he tries to bring attention to himself through actions that aren't baseball. I don't have a vendetta against BP, and I like the fact that he's a Red because he's a very good second baseman. But he does some annoying things, too, imo. I prefer baseball players over prima donnas.

marcshoe
10-29-2012, 04:06 PM

It was especially annoying when he just lay in bed and ballooned to 300 pounds.

Always Red
10-29-2012, 04:28 PM

I heard about that..in a song.

Big Klu
10-29-2012, 04:53 PM
I'm not feeling any good vibrations.

Kc61
10-29-2012, 05:12 PM
I don't think it works that way. Some of these guys would be rode hard and put away wet if they played for the Reds. Although I will say when its a guy on your team, there is more grace to their personality issues if they perform. If they don't, it gets brutal.

Reds fans don't go after Reds for being annoying.

They go after certain types.

If you are a Reds prospect, you can do almost anything and will be supported. Youth and a Reds organization pedigree -- priceless.

After awhile, if you are a Reds prospect having some problems, you may become the subject of debate. But fans should be careful not to be too tough

If you are a veteran from another organization, acquired by the Reds, you are more likely to be hit hard if you don't do well.

If you are a LIGHT HITTING veteran from another organization, or if you are a SOFT TOSSING pitcher from another organization, watch out.

Johnny Footstool
10-29-2012, 05:39 PM
Reds fans also seem especially annoyed by "cocky, self-promoting" players (Brian Wilson).

Something about a blue-collar fanbase, maybe.

Wonderful Monds
10-29-2012, 06:04 PM
Reds fans also seem especially annoyed by "cocky, self-promoting" players (Brian Wilson).

Brian Wilson isn't annoying because he's cocky, he's annoying because he tries too hard to be "wacky."

Jefferson24
10-29-2012, 06:04 PM

but the beard accounted for 40 of those pounds

lollipopcurve
10-29-2012, 06:12 PM
Gritty Cardinal infielders would dominate my roster.

Punto
Miles
Descalso
Theriot
Kozma (so irritating that he actually played OK after a very mediocre minor league career)
And many others of the past decade, expunged from memory

I would not include Molina. The guy has earned my respect.

Caveat Emperor
10-29-2012, 06:12 PM
Brian Wilson isn't annoying because he's cocky, he's annoying because he tries too hard to be "wacky."

This.

The act would be funnier if the fictional character "Kenny Powers" didn't exist.

Red in Chicago
10-29-2012, 06:18 PM
Either Hairston brother for starters, McCutchen

Wonderful Monds
10-29-2012, 06:20 PM
Gritty Cardinal infielders would dominate my roster.

Punto
Miles
Descalso
Theriot
Kozma (so irritating that he actually played OK after a very mediocre minor league career)
And many others of the past decade, expunged from memory

I don't know that I like Molina necessarily, but he did earn points after he slid into 2B and gave BP a high five when he stood up, so at least he's not a petty dude or anything.

Wonderful Monds
10-29-2012, 06:22 PM
Either Hairston brother for starters

Really? I really liked Jerry Hairston while he was on the team, even after his numbers fell off. He definitely had team spirit and I can dig any guy who takes pride in being a Red.

Johnny Footstool
10-29-2012, 06:23 PM

Humor is so subjective. I personally think he's pretty funny -- I like his non-standard comedic sensibilities. It's refreshing for a ballplayer to have a sense of humor that I can relate to.

I view his act as pretty tongue-in-cheek, like Will Ferrell's man-child persona.

westofyou
10-29-2012, 06:24 PM
I like Brian Wilson

I hate his shoe black beard

Wonderful Monds
10-29-2012, 06:24 PM
Humor is so subjective. I personally think he's pretty funny -- I like his non-standard comedic sensibilities. It's refreshing for a ballplayer to have a sense of humor that I can relate to.

I view his act as pretty tongue-in-cheek, like Will Ferrell's man-child persona.

Maybe, I don't know. I didn't mind it so much at first when he broke through, but he's kind of turned into the guy who tells the same joke over and over for me.

Wonderful Monds
10-29-2012, 06:26 PM
I like Brian Wilson

I hate his shoe black beard

I insist part of it is fake. When he was on camera in the dugout during the LDS, there was like a perfect seam where it ended on his face. I know, at least, my beard isn't like that.

Always Red
10-29-2012, 08:12 PM
I know, at least, my beard isn't like that.

That's because you're not Brian Wilson, dude. :D

Phhhl
10-29-2012, 08:35 PM
Prince Fielder really annoys me. I don't like the way he hangs out over the plate and swings from the heels every time, but throws a whiny hissy fit every time a pitcher comes inside on him. I also didn't care for the "bowling pin" celebration the Brewers orchestrated when Fielder hit a walkoff a couple years ago.

Heath Bell works at such a rapid pace, stomping around the mound like he owns the place, and Reds hitters never call time or stepped out on him to throw off his rhythm. I find him especially annoying.

Jared Hughes.

Derek Lowe

camisadelgolf
10-30-2012, 05:04 AM
Brian Wilson is annoying sometimes--when he tries too hard--but he's also genuinely funny. I laugh at stuff like this.
http://i.imgur.com/Xj4DE.gif

Degenerate39
10-30-2012, 05:49 AM
What about that rookie pitcher from Pittsburgh? The one that got into it with Phillips I think

blumj
10-30-2012, 09:31 AM
Any room for AJ Pierzynski, Matt Garza, Luke Scott, Brett Lawrie, and Jonathan Papelbon on this roster?

traderumor
10-30-2012, 09:37 AM
What about that rookie pitcher from Pittsburgh? The one that got into it with Phillips I thinkJared Hughes, mentioned earlier, definitely in the bullpen.

Chip R
10-30-2012, 10:46 AM

Except for Pete Rose.

Wonderful Monds
10-30-2012, 10:51 AM
Any room for AJ Pierzynski, Matt Garza, Luke Scott, Brett Lawrie, and Jonathan Papelbon on this roster?

Aye on all those, except I don't mind Lawrie.

Johnny Footstool
10-30-2012, 10:57 AM
Except for Pete Rose.

"Local boy" trumps "cocky." Plus Pete was as blue-collar as they come.

_Sir_Charles_
10-30-2012, 11:03 AM
I'd nominate Sammy Gervacio. This guy drove me nuts with the Astros. He had this really odd delivery where he'd stare at the ball in his hand and then quickly turn and stare at the dish. Drove me nuts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DB818XgSS-A

MikeThierry
10-30-2012, 03:14 PM
I've always respected Jeter on the field. Class act. The media blows him out of proportion but I don't have a problem with Jeter himself. Also, I give mad respect for the "talent" he has dated off the field. The Madonna thing can be forgiven in my eyes.

Dom Heffner
10-30-2012, 03:42 PM
I've always respected Jeter on the field. Class act. The media blows him out of proportion but I don't have a problem with Jeter himself. Also, I give mad respect for the "talent" he has dated off the field. The Madonna thing can be forgiven in my eyes.

This is why I hate Derek jeter.

MikeThierry
10-30-2012, 04:06 PM
Wait... maybe I'm confusing A-Rod with Jeter. Was it Jeter or A-Rod that dated Madonna?

blumj
10-30-2012, 04:50 PM
A-Rod, and it's annoying in itself that I know that.

MikeThierry
10-30-2012, 04:57 PM
A-Rod, and it's annoying in itself that I know that.

Ok, I retract any criticism I layed on Jeter then :)

Red in Chicago
10-30-2012, 05:16 PM
"Local boy" trumps "cocky." Plus Pete was as blue-collar as they come.

Not to mention those 4000 hits;)

10-30-2012, 08:50 PM
Wait... maybe I'm confusing A-Rod with Jeter. Was it Jeter or A-Rod that dated Madonna?

I think you're confusing when A-Rod dated Jeter ;)

redsmetz
10-30-2012, 09:56 PM

I thought maybe I was the only heretic around here viz Molina. Our booing aside, I reached the point where I didn't want to see him at the plate with the game on the line.

Now I think he's still a knucklehead, a status he shares with our own Brandon Phillips, for instigating perhaps the stupidest melee that I ever recall. I've long said that Phillips was correct in his assessment of the Cardinals, but chose a lousy term for it and then compounded it by tapping Molina with his bat, and then of course, Molina got all stupid too and the rest is, as they say, history.

But that said, he's a good ballplayer and I'd want someone playing like he does if we had the need at that particularly position.

Now Chris Carpenter? That's another story. The man genuinely needs help and at some point in his career, one of his teammates is going to deck him and that prediction's coming from me, a pacifist.