PDA

View Full Version : What would it take to land David Wright?

Matt700wlw
10-31-2012, 12:41 PM
Let's talk rumors...

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1390805-mlb-trade-rumors-could-david-wright-pack-his-bags-for-cincinnati

Tom Servo
10-31-2012, 12:44 PM
Seems like nothing but meaningless speculation, sadly. BleacherReport is not a news source, and the article they linked to on ESPN had the author say his list of teams were just 'guesses'.

Matt700wlw
10-31-2012, 12:45 PM
It's Halloween.

WE NEED SOMETHING :)

Patrick Bateman
10-31-2012, 12:46 PM
Ugghh, Bleacher Report. This is not a rumour.

Would be cool though.

mdccclxix
10-31-2012, 12:57 PM
You want to talk about optimism heading into 2013...

cumberlandreds
10-31-2012, 01:36 PM
Sadly if this report was from anywhere else besides the Bleacher Report I might get excited about this rumor. But they are as bad as it gets in Internet reporting and have absolutely no credibility with me. It is a nice thought though to have Wright at 3rd base. It would cure a lot of ills,offensively, for this team.

Johnny Footstool
10-31-2012, 01:38 PM
It would probably take more than Leake, Stubbs, and Mesoraco. It would have to be closer to Bailey, Frazier, and Mes. And I would still do that deal in a heartbeat.

Blitz Dorsey
10-31-2012, 02:01 PM
I would put the chances of this happening at exactly zero percent.

Sea Ray
10-31-2012, 02:06 PM
It would probably take more than Leake, Stubbs, and Mesoraco. It would have to be closer to Bailey, Frazier, and Mes. And I would still do that deal in a heartbeat.

That's the easy part. Where's the money going to come from?

_Sir_Charles_
10-31-2012, 02:19 PM
Seems like nothing but meaningless speculation, sadly. BleacherReport is not a news source, and the article they linked to on ESPN had the author say his list of teams were just 'guesses'.

Jamie Ramsey wrote the article if you didn't notice. Better off Red dude.

~edit~ My bad. JOSH Ramsey. I saw JRamsey. Sorry.

REDREAD
10-31-2012, 02:31 PM
Man, that would be a dream acquision..
I think I would cannonize Walt if he could pull off this trade and extend Wright.
Would be the perfect fit..

Kc61
10-31-2012, 02:50 PM
Won't happen, but keep in mind that Wright is becoming a free agent soon and is expensive. So in this regard, his "value" is less than Latos'.

On the other hand, Wright is a far more proven player than Latos.

Mesoraco, Gregorius, Corcino/Cingrani (one of them), and Bailey would be a good package.

Reds might try to substitute Leake or Arroyo for Bailey. Arroyo is effective in NY, but older.

Another combo - Mesoraco, Gregorius, Cingrani/Corcino, and Frazier. Todd would be a natural in NY.

Another combo - Stephenson, Mesoraco, Gregorius, and a lesser player, say Stubbs or Heisey.

Wonderful Monds
10-31-2012, 02:56 PM
I don't trade any MLB players, except for Cozart maybe. I really wouldn't want to trade Mesoraco either. But if I could extend Wright, I'd do this.

Mesoraco, Cozart, Corcino/Cingrani, Lotzkar and maybe Lutz or someone like that if they want him.

Patrick Bateman
10-31-2012, 03:02 PM
Trading Mes just makes zero sense on any level for the Reds.

Who's catching the next 5 years?

I can almost assure that Hanigan is not the long term solution. He could become a sub .600 OPS bat awfully fast.

Wonderful Monds
10-31-2012, 03:06 PM
Trading Mes just makes zero sense on any level for the Reds.

Who's catching the next 5 years?

I can almost assure that Hanigan is not the long term solution. He could become a sub .600 OPS bat awfully fast.

When Wright is at 3B, honestly I don't really care.

LoganBuck
10-31-2012, 03:10 PM
Can we get a self imposed Redszone ban on bleacherreport.com? They have one legitimate guy and he does NFL Draft stuff.

_Sir_Charles_
10-31-2012, 03:20 PM
http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/story/_/id/8576621/david-wright-ra-dickey-get-contract-options-exercised-new-york-mets

FWIW, the Mets picked up Wright's option today.

corkedbat
10-31-2012, 03:20 PM
When Wright is at 3B, honestly I don't really care.

Agreed. I put no creedence in Bleacher Report, but if David Wright were at third, I'd be fine with dealing Mes for him and re-upping Hanny for two or three more years.

Brutus
10-31-2012, 03:24 PM
In fairness to Bleacher Report, they were recently purchased by Time Warner with the intent of making it a credible online publication. I don't know if it's gotten there yet, but they have been trying to upgrade the credibility. Previously, I'd agree with the 'never source Bleacher Report' crowd as it was worthless, but at least now they have a different direction.

Vottomatic
10-31-2012, 03:43 PM
Where is it written that Mesoraco is going to be a solid major league catcher for years to come?

Geez. Stubbs was a #1 pick and look how he's turned out.

So, the Reds refuse to trade Mez for a kings ransom for several years and what if Mez puts up a .205 batting average for 3 years straight with a lousy OPS, then what do we have?

klw
10-31-2012, 03:44 PM
Can we get a self imposed Redszone ban on bleacherreport.com? They have one legitimate guy and he does NFL Draft stuff.

Well the Bleacherreport piece is simply based on an ESPNNework article so we could jump over bleacher and still have the speculation.
http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/mets/post/_/id/58583/what-if-the-mets-did-trade-david-wright

There are probably conversations taking place this week between David Wright and his reps with Sandy Alderson and his crew, trying to get a handle on the Mets future plans, with the intention of making Wright a long-term offer.

The hope is that the sides will come to an agreement, one that will probably be worth well more than $100 million.

But what if the groups emerge from these meetings without a contract?

But what other teams might give Alderson a call?

Here are a few guesses:

Cincinnati Reds
The conversation starts with ...the combination of centerfielder Drew Stubbs and starting pitcher Mike Leake, but that's not too appealing considering they were worth a combined 0.4 WAR last season.

The conversation gets intriguing if ...the Reds open the door to some of their more appealing names. Homer Bailey and Todd Frazier seem like unrealistic asks (unless the Reds were in immediate position to sign Wright long-term), but catching prospect Devin Mesoraco would seem to have significant value if the Mets deem him ready for everyday work.

CySeymour
10-31-2012, 03:57 PM
Where is it written that Mesoraco is going to be a solid major league catcher for years to come?

So, the Reds refuse to trade Mez for a kings ransom for several years and what if Mez puts up a .205 batting average for 3 years straight with a lousy OPS, then what do we have?

Hindsight is 20/20, of course. But truth is, of course, you don't know. However, a team like the Reds don't have the financial resources to keep trading away promising players. Sooner or later, you have to go with them.

Patrick Bateman
10-31-2012, 03:59 PM

Where are all the better alternatives to Mesoraco? Simply put, the Reds best chance to have a good starting catcher is to go with Mes who has a chance to be afordable for years to come and productive is incredibly important to a small/mid market team like the Reds.

In the end, Wright is a great player, nobody is going to argue with that. But if he costs Frazier + Mes plus others, it really pidgeon holes the Reds going forward. He's going to take around 20M long term to afford. That is a lot of opportunity cost to spare.

With Frazier and Mes in the fold, on paper the Reds are fairly well set at 3rd base and catcher going forward. I'm saying it doesn't make a lot of sense to me to move worlds around to fix a problem we likely don't have.

I think it makes more sense to go with Frazier and Mes long term, and look to allocate the 15-20M + prospects of opportunity cost and apply it to fix actual holes. I'd rather have Mes + Frazier + say Dexter Fowler + Madson (or some other closer FA option) than I would have David Wright. Heck you might even have some more money left over to throw a guy into the LF mix. With Wright in the fold, it just limits the options unless the Reds are going to increase payroll 30M, which you KNOW they wont. Nor do the Reds have a lot of prospects on the cusp of the major leagues that can easily fill in the holes that can't be filled within our budget.

You're logic was often used before the Reds 2010 playoff run. Redszone posters were trading Bailey, Stubbs, Cueto, Votto, Bruce, etc. in all kinds of trades for expensive, proven players. Sure Cueto, Votto, and company were not significantly proven major leaguers and maybe they could have fallen on their head. But that type of major league talent completely turned around the organization and gave the Reds an affordable nucleus that could be surrounded by talent. Long term thinking, it just doesn't add up to me to trade numerous pieces of major league ready talent for 1 good, and already expensive player. It might help in the short term, but there's a really strong possibility that the strategy will make the Reds window a short one.

corkedbat
10-31-2012, 04:04 PM
Stubbs, Leake & Mesaraco for David Wright

CF Shane Victorino (Sign)
2B Brandon Phillips
1B Joey Votto
3B David Wright
RF Jay Bruce
LF Todd Frazier
SS Zach Cozart
CA Ryan Hanigan

IF Didi Gregorious
IF/OF Kelly Johnson (Sign)
OF Chris Heisey
OF Xavier Paul
CA Dioner Navarro (or other)

Sign Navarro or other journeyman catcher for a year and hopefully Barnhart will be ready to back Hanny by 2014. I'd extend Ryan for two or three more years next off season.

Patrick Bateman
10-31-2012, 04:10 PM
Stubbs, Leake & Mesaraco for David Wright

CF Shane Victorino (Sign)
2B Brandon Phillips
1B Joey Votto
3B David Wright
RF Jay Bruce
LF Todd Frazier
SS Zach Cozart
CA Ryan Hanigan

IF Didi Gregorious
IF/OF Kelly Johnson (Sign)
OF Chris Heisey
OF Xavier Paul
CA Dioner Navarro (or other)

Again, I just don't get it. In what world are the Reds adding the payroll required to add Wright for 16M, Victorino for presumably 10M, Johnson for 3-4M, and giving raises to Bailey, Latos, etc?

It just doesn't add up with the Reds capabilities.

_Sir_Charles_
10-31-2012, 04:17 PM
Again, I just don't get it. In what world are the Reds adding the payroll required to add Wright for 16M, Victorino for presumably 10M, Johnson for 3-4M, and giving raises to Bailey, Latos, etc?

While I do agree with you Patrick, I also think we need to re-assess what the Reds' capabilities are. They've stunned quite a few of us the past 2 years. I think they have more funds available than people think. And that TV contract looming over everything is more fuel for the fire.

Wonderful Monds
10-31-2012, 04:19 PM

I don't think a contract the size of Wright's is out of the question. We're moving into uncharted territory with these TV deals.

I'm guessing nobody but the Reds have any idea what they're capable of at this point.

Superdude
10-31-2012, 04:22 PM
It might help in the short term, but there's a really strong possibility that the strategy will make the Reds window a short one.

Exactly. Would've likely been a horrible move if this happened. Forking out sixteen million dollars for one year of player we probably can't extend and giving up loads of cheap, young talent in the process just isn't a good strategy if we wanna compete beyond 2013.

Patrick Bateman
10-31-2012, 04:26 PM
While I do agree with you Patrick, I also think we need to re-assess what the Reds' capabilities are. They've stunned quite a few of us the past 2 years. I think they have more funds available than people think. And that TV contract looming over everything is more fuel for the fire.

If I recall, the articles at the time of the Phillips/Votto signings was essentially that the TV revenues was sufficient enough to pay for those solely. Normal articles have come out in the early offseason about the expectations of a business as usual offseason. If the Reds have $30M to play with, they are certainly hiding it well.

It doesn't add up to me that the market size of the Reds suddenly puts us being into near upper echelon payroll territory.

westofyou
10-31-2012, 04:33 PM
It doesn't add up to me that the market size of the Reds suddenly puts us being into near upper echelon payroll territory.

Nope, and with looming contracts for guys like Cueto, Latos, Bruce down the road also tells me not to expect a plus 30 year old star looking for a 100 million dollar plus contract to ride into his old age.

It's bar room talk, just a big ol load and rich with what - ifs

Superdude
10-31-2012, 04:38 PM
If I recall, the articles at the time of the Phillips/Votto signings was essentially that the TV revenues was sufficient enough to pay for those solely. Normal articles have come out in the early offseason about the expectations of a business as usual offseason. If the Reds have $30M to play with, they are certainly hiding it well.

Do we get more TV revenue because Cincinnati is a better TV market? If the money is dispersed equally, we're really no better off. It's just gonna drive up the price of contracts.

*BaseClogger*
10-31-2012, 04:47 PM
Do we get more TV revenue because Cincinnati is a better TV market? If the money is dispersed equally, we're really no better off. It's just gonna drive up the price of contracts.

Each team negotiates its TV contracts seperately. Assumedly, the Reds leveraged their fan base as they negotiated with Fox Sports Ohio...

Reds/Flyers Fan
10-31-2012, 04:56 PM

I agree with this. There are significant benefits to consistently having the No. 1 radio ratings and No. 2 television ratings in MLB.

RedsManRick
10-31-2012, 05:55 PM
While this is just plain old speculation and not a rumor, I would LOVE to get Wright and would happily part with Leake and Stubbs to do it. He has the right to wave his 2013 extension ($16MM), but as the author suggests, I imagine a trade would come with a nice extension.

Of course, unlike the author, I think the Reds have already spent their extra revenue and wouldn't be willing to add his salary.

Slyder
10-31-2012, 08:21 PM
I don't trade any MLB players, except for Cozart maybe. I really wouldn't want to trade Mesoraco either. But if I could extend Wright, I'd do this.

Mesoraco, Cozart, Corcino/Cingrani, Lotzkar and maybe Lutz or someone like that if they want him.

Are the Mets out of the Madoff problems with money? What about using Hamilton as a major piece or do you see him as being too valuable as a potential CF?

marcshoe
10-31-2012, 10:18 PM
I think Mes is going to be a very good hitter. I would trade him for Wright. Twice.

fearofpopvol1
10-31-2012, 11:27 PM
I've been dreaming about Wright for a while. It just seems too good to be true. His power would play very nicely at GAB. I wouldn't want to lock him up to a huge contract, for a year, I'd love to have him.

Dom Heffner
10-31-2012, 11:37 PM
In fairness to Bleacher Report, they were recently purchased by Time Warner with the intent of making it a credible online publication. I don't know if it's gotten there yet, but they have been trying to upgrade the credibility. Previously, I'd agree with the 'never source Bleacher Report' crowd as it was worthless, but at least now they have a different direction.

That's interesting, thanks for that.

I can tell you that for me, it has been awful. For fantasy football advice, they'll have conflicting articles the same day. One says sit a guy, one says start. It's awful.

Vottomatic
11-01-2012, 11:53 AM
I think the question to be asked is.....

Why invest nearly $20M per season in Votto if you're going to waste his at-bats by not protecting him in the lineup?

A feared cleanup hitter needs to be a priority. There is no reason in that cold fiery place that Votto shouldn't be knocking in 120 rbi's a season with his talent.

Hopefully Reds management knew/already decided when they signed Joey that they would need to eventually sign someone to protect him in the lineup to get their money's worth out of Votto.

Benihana
11-01-2012, 01:09 PM
Problem with trading for Wright is that teams will pay a lot for him thinking they can re-sign him to a huge contract. If the Reds only want him for one year, they would presumably be outbid in talent by teams that would give up more if they intended on signing him to a longer term deal.

That said, what would be the most you'd be willing to trade for one year of David Wright (with a possible option to negotiate for longer, realizing realistically that you'll probably only get one year + a draft pick once he turns down the tender)?

I'll start:

One of Leake/Cingrani/Corcino
One of Stubbs/Heisey/LaMarre
Any 2 minor leaguers other than Hamilton/Cingrani/Corcino/Stephenson (I'd think they'd probably like DiDi and Lutz, which I'd be fine with)

I would not trade Bailey, Hamilton or Frazier, whom I'd assume would be their first asks, unless the Reds thought they'd sign Wright at least through 2015.

EDIT: On second thought, I might include Frazier if the Reds re-signed Ludwick to a 2 year deal, and not much else went along with Frazier to NY.

_Sir_Charles_
11-01-2012, 04:02 PM
If you're only getting one year of Wright, I wouldn't think the haul would be anywhere close to that big IMO. One year rentals don't usually bring in big trade demands.

Benihana
11-01-2012, 04:03 PM
If you're only getting one year of Wright, I wouldn't think the haul would be anywhere close to that big IMO. One year rentals don't usually bring in big trade demands.

One year or not, I can't see the Mets giving up Wright without at least one of Leake/Cingrani/Corcino + 2-3 other players.

REDREAD
11-01-2012, 04:07 PM
I think it makes more sense to go with Frazier and Mes long term, and look to allocate the 15-20M + prospects of opportunity cost and apply it to fix actual holes..

I can appreciate your point.. However, if the Reds were to get Wright and sign him long term, it takes care of the cleanup hitter hole for a long time.
As of today, it seems like Ludwick is going to get maybe 7 million or more to come back.. (Based on what I know, seems like signing Ludwick is the best option at this point). So a guy like Ludwick is eating up a good portion of that 15-20 million, and he's not nearly the quality Wright is (nor is he as sure of a thing).

Wright lets us get by with a weaker bat in LF.. We could get a high OBP/low slugging guy in LF.. Heck, a guy like last year's Pierre sharing with Heisey might work if we had Wright in the fold.

Hypothetically.. if the Reds could trade Homer and Mes for Wright.. move Frasier to LF... Move Chapman to the rotation.. Man, talk about being set.. I wouldn't even worry about a potentially weak bat at Catcher (Hannigan)...
Or maybe trade Homer and Frasier for Wright , keep Mes, and get a cheap LF..

Edit: I am assuming Wright would be around for more than 1 year, since this is a fantasy post.

Benihana
11-01-2012, 04:18 PM
I can appreciate your point.. However, if the Reds were to get Wright and sign him long term, it takes care of the cleanup hitter hole for a long time.
As of today, it seems like Ludwick is going to get maybe 7 million or more to come back.. (Based on what I know, seems like signing Ludwick is the best option at this point). So a guy like Ludwick is eating up a good portion of that 15-20 million, and he's not nearly the quality Wright is (nor is he as sure of a thing).

Wright lets us get by with a weaker bat in LF.. We could get a high OBP/low slugging guy in LF.. Heck, a guy like last year's Pierre sharing with Heisey might work if we had Wright in the fold.

Hypothetically.. if the Reds could trade Homer and Mes for Wright.. move Frasier to LF... Move Chapman to the rotation.. Man, talk about being set.. I wouldn't even worry about a potentially weak bat at Catcher (Hannigan)...
Or maybe trade Homer and Frasier for Wright , keep Mes, and get a cheap LF..

Edit: I am assuming Wright would be around for more than 1 year, since this is a fantasy post.

I'd much rather do Leake + Mez or Frazier, but still I get your point. If the Reds could sign Wright to a savvy LTC, things would get very interesting.

The biggest drawback is that it would likely lead to not being able to sign our pitchers, which could lead to big problems three years from now.

westofyou
11-02-2012, 01:28 PM
http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=18778

"David Wright is going to be a lifelong Met," predicted one Mets person. "That's the way both sides want it to be, and that's why it's going to happen."

Unassisted
11-02-2012, 01:35 PM
In fairness to Bleacher Report, they were recently purchased by Time Warner with the intent of making it a credible online publication. I don't know if it's gotten there yet, but they have been trying to upgrade the credibility. Previously, I'd agree with the 'never source Bleacher Report' crowd as it was worthless, but at least now they have a different direction.I agree. Some Bleacher Report articles now appear under the banner of latimes.com. While that may say more about the state of professional journalism than it does about the quality of Bleacher Report, I do believe it wouldn't be happening without a new emphasis on reporting standards. If it gets to the point where one can't trust articles at one of the 5 largest newspapers in the US, it's time to give up trusting journalists for good.

Even so, I don't believe there's anything to the rumor. It's speculation by an ESPN writer looking for clicks.

RedFanAlways1966
11-02-2012, 01:37 PM
"David Wright is going to be a lifelong Met," predicted one Mets person. "That's the way both sides want it to be, and that's why it's going to happen."

I wonder how many people predicted the same thing for Albert Pujols and the Cardinals? I'd guess a few "Cards people" might have said that about Pujols. I do not know of course, but things change. Might even change overnight.

mdccclxix
11-02-2012, 02:06 PM
At the same time, it's hard to imagine that in 1 short year they lose Reyes and Wright. I really like that Harvey kid in their rotation, they just need a bullpen fix and they can limit lots of runs. Then they won't have to score a bunch either.

PuffyPig
11-02-2012, 02:11 PM
I think the question to be asked is.....

Why invest nearly $20M per season in Votto if you're going to waste his at-bats by not protecting him in the lineup?

Votto has been an exceptionally talented hitter for many years, even winning the MVP in 2010. He likely would have won it in 2012 if he hadn't been injured.

I think saying his "AB's are being wasted" is an exaggeration.

REDREAD
11-02-2012, 03:45 PM
I'd much rather do Leake + Mez or Frazier, but still I get your point. If the Reds could sign Wright to a savvy LTC, things would get very interesting.

The biggest drawback is that it would likely lead to not being able to sign our pitchers, which could lead to big problems three years from now.

That's true.. at some point this club isn't going to be able to keep extending/resigning everyone. I can appreciate that.

I'd love to get one more big bat in the lineup though.. At bare minimum, we need to replace what Ludwick did last year.

And yes, I realize Wright is a fantasy, but it's fun to talk about in the winter.

Vottomatic
11-02-2012, 06:17 PM
Votto has been an exceptionally talented hitter for many years, even winning the MVP in 2010. He likely would have won it in 2012 if he hadn't been injured.

I think saying his "AB's are being wasted" is an exaggeration.

Well, even with all the time he missed, Votto was tied with Fielder for the most intentional walks in MLB.

I don't think I said his at-bats were being "wasted". I'm saying he's easy to pitch around because the hitter behind him puts no fear in opposing pitchers. And there's two ways to pitch around Joey. Give him nothing to hit and hope he swings at bad pitches or don't give him anything to hit.

Sure, when Joey gets pitches to hit, he excels with the bat. But he was 3rd in MLB this season in walks, even with all the time he missed. They simply don't pitch to him, for the most part.

I want them to pitch to him more. We need a feared hitter behind him. And we need basecloggers on ahead of him.

dougdirt
11-02-2012, 06:26 PM
Well, even with all the time he missed, Votto was tied with Fielder for the most intentional walks in MLB.

I don't think I said his at-bats were being "wasted". I'm saying he's easy to pitch around because the hitter behind him puts no fear in opposing pitchers. And there's two ways to pitch around Joey. Give him nothing to hit and hope he swings at bad pitches or don't give him anything to hit.

Sure, when Joey gets pitches to hit, he excels with the bat. But he was 3rd in MLB this season in walks, even with all the time he missed. They simply don't pitch to him, for the most part.

I want them to pitch to him more. We need a feared hitter behind him. And we need basecloggers on ahead of him.
We have the guy already to bat behind him, but our manager would rather not bat him there because he is left handed, instead usually opting for an aggressive swinging second baseman with moderate at best power.

SidneySlicker
11-03-2012, 10:01 AM
As much as I'd love to have Wright in Cincinnati, I just don't see it happening for both monetary and what it would take from a trade compensation standpoint.

cinreds21
11-04-2012, 10:48 PM
I wouldn't mind Wright at all. It would probably have to be a package of Frazier, Leake/Bailey, Cingrani/Corcino, and maybe Yorman/Henry Rodriguez. I'd be OK with that. Yes, the Reds would be spending more money, but having Wright in the middle would "allow" for Heisey to play everyday and not have to worry about spending money on a left fielder (aging Ludwick) because of all the power in the middle. A lineup of

(leadoff CF)
Phillips
Wright
Votto
Bruce
Heisey
Mesoraco/Hanigan
Cozart

is pretty darn good.

_Sir_Charles_
11-05-2012, 08:33 AM
It would probably have to be a package of Frazier, Leake/Bailey, Cingrani/Corcino, and maybe Yorman/Henry Rodriguez.

You really don't think that's a ridiculous over-pay for ONE YEAR of Wright?!? Whether we sign him to an extension or not, one year is all the Mets would be giving up. Seem absolutely insane to trade away that much for one year of anybody.

cinreds21
11-05-2012, 02:41 PM
It may be a little bit of an overpay, but I think the Reds could go ahead and agree to an extension with Wright before the deal became official, thus taking a little bit of the sting of overpaying away.

Superdude
11-05-2012, 02:54 PM
It may be a little bit of an overpay, but I think the Reds could go ahead and agree to an extension with Wright before the deal became official, thus taking a little bit of the sting of overpaying away.

Does Bob still have a 100+ million dollars lying around? There's just no way this is happening.

RedEye
11-05-2012, 08:06 PM
Is there any way we can change the title of this thread to something like "What would it take to land David Wright?" Every time I log into RZ, my heart leaps into my throat thinking that maybe -- just maybe -- there actually is a credible rumor involving the Reds and the Mets 3B. This isn't good for my heart.

Brutus
11-06-2012, 01:22 AM
Does Bob still have a 100+ million dollars lying around? There's just no way this is happening.

Not that I expect it either, but by the same token, you probably said there's just way in they would pay $250 million for Joey Votto either.

I know I did :)

Dan
11-06-2012, 08:39 AM
You really don't think that's a ridiculous over-pay for ONE YEAR of Wright?!? Whether we sign him to an extension or not, one year is all the Mets would be giving up. Seem absolutely insane to trade away that much for one year of anybody.

Frazier, Leake, Corcino, HRod wouldn't be too much different than the package the Reds sent for another great Mets performer back in 1977. Just sayin'

_Sir_Charles_
11-06-2012, 09:57 AM
Frazier, Leake, Corcino, HRod wouldn't be too much different than the package the Reds sent for another great Mets performer back in 1977. Just sayin'

A few things, Wright is no Seaver. And Tom Terrific was on a 3 year contract. Not a one year rental. Just sayin'.

RedEye
11-06-2012, 10:14 AM
Thanks for honoring my request, mods. Much better (and much more accurate) thread title. :)

Reds/Flyers Fan
11-06-2012, 11:43 AM

How do you, John "I hate trades" Fay or anyone else know what Bob's bank account looks like? Or what it will look like after the television contract is renegotiated? Or what he's willing to spend to see this franchise win a World Series.

RedEye
11-06-2012, 12:04 PM
How do you, John "I hate trades" Fay or anyone else know what Bob's bank account looks like? Or what it will look like after the television contract is renegotiated? Or what he's willing to spend to see this franchise win a World Series.

Agreed. I had no idea that the team was going to sign Votto and Phillips to LTC's this past off-season. I was floored. So, while I certainly don't expect a move for David Wright, I am much less willing to write off the possibility than I would have been a year ago. And that's a good feeling, I guess.

osuceltic
11-06-2012, 12:17 PM
Agreed. I had no idea that the team was going to sign Votto and Phillips to LTC's this past off-season. I was floored. So, while I certainly don't expect a move for David Wright, I am much less willing to write off the possibility than I would have been a year ago. And that's a good feeling, I guess.

I think the chances of this happening are slim and none, but Walt has a history of this kind of thing. He pays the price for difference-makers and he's not afraid to do it on a one-year basis.

You also have to look at how all the various pieces fit together. Is Wright for one year at 3B + Frazier in LF a better value than Ludwick for multiple years in LF + Frazier at 3B + holding the players it would take to trade for Wright? You could make a pretty convincing argument that Wright/Frazier is a better defensive tandem than Frazier/Ludwick. You also could make a pretty good case that the one-year salary costs are a safer investment than three years for Ludwick. Ultimately, it probably comes down to the package it would take to make the trade.

I've spent way too much time thinking about something that isn't going to happen, but I just think it isn't as simple as most are making it out to be.

buckeyenut
11-06-2012, 06:52 PM
Wright at 3B and whatever you need to do in LF is going to be better than Frazier at 3B and Ludwick or whatever in LF plus whatever you have to give up to get Wright. Wright is that much of a difference maker. Hamilton is the only thing in the farm I don't give up to get Wright and I take off the ML roster as well. Wright is a PERFECT fit for this team over the next 3-5 years.

PuffyPig
11-06-2012, 07:57 PM
Wright is a PERFECT fit for this team over the next 3-5 years.

But how about the fit over the next 10 years when we are paying him $20M+ per season, and we can't afford to have a team around him and Votto?

Captain Hook
11-06-2012, 09:28 PM
But how about the fit over the next 10 years when we are paying him $20M+ per season, and we can't afford to have a team around him and Votto?

So two or three World Series later we'll stink.

PuffyPig
11-06-2012, 09:34 PM
So two or three World Series later we'll stink.

You try and fit Wright's $20M salary in right now and we will have to make series cuts.

Those 2 or 3 world series may well be zero.

Vottomatic
11-07-2012, 09:09 AM
Reds will fall short of winning a World Series as long as they go bargain hunting for a cleanup hitter to protect Votto. They've been doing it for a long time and it isn't working.

They fix the pitching and continue to neglect cleanup and leadoff, and position-wise...LF and CF.