PDA

View Full Version : Help me understand Adam Laroche

jhu1321
11-02-2012, 08:36 PM
So the Nationals made him a qualifying offer. He has the option to make 13.5 million for one year or elect for free agency. Is there any reason an above average, but not great player like Laroche would decline that offer? I understand why the Nats would make the offer considering the draft pick but won't this lead to a ton of backfires when the players accept these things?

Slyder
11-02-2012, 08:45 PM
So the Nationals made him a qualifying offer. He has the option to make 13.5 million for one year or elect for free agency. Is there any reason an above average, but not great player like Laroche would decline that offer? I understand why the Nats would make the offer considering the draft pick but won't this lead to a ton of backfires when the players accept these things?

Nationals are expanding payroll, they must have the budget to be able to afford him at that money for 1 year. If he takes it 1b or LF is taken care of, if he doesn't you get a decent draft pick for a good/not great player.

blumj
11-02-2012, 08:46 PM
You don't make the offer unless you don't mind if the player accepts, same as arbitration, so, they must be willing to pay him that much to have him on a 1 year deal.

Superdude
11-02-2012, 09:54 PM
You act like he hit .220 last year. He's a middle of the order hitter on a contending team. Why would they not want him back?

westofyou
11-02-2012, 10:19 PM
Why sign a one year deal off a career year without testing the market for equal pay over a longer life?

Sign a 3 year deal get hurt and get all the money, one year get hurt maybe on MLB tonight the following year.

RedsManRick
11-02-2012, 10:32 PM
I think people are going to be shocked by prices this year. Just look at last year. Look at the Dodgers selling for $2B. The TV contracts are going through the roof. $13MM ain't what it used to be.

Even then, 1 year deals are quite valuable since they're so low risk. With long term contracts, you often have to price in the guy's decline and injury risk. You don't have to do that really in a 1 year deal. Given previous FA prices of ~$5MM/win, $13MM equates to about 2.5 wins. LaRoche put up 3.8 WAR last year and has been about a 2.5 WAR player throughout his career. It's no bargain, but it's unlikely you'll get a better deal on somebody in FA.

The big implication is that they don't have 1B open which means Morse stays in the OF with Harper and Werth. Rumor was that the Nats are hot after Michael Bourn; this would seem to make that less likely -- or at least suggest they'd have to dump one of their corner OFs first.