PDA

View Full Version : The Bargain Basement

mth123
11-03-2012, 10:53 PM
It’s only November 3, but we’ve seen lots of threads suggesting some big moves for the Reds this off-season. While I‘m as excited as anyone for Justin Upton, Michael Bourn, Shin Soo Choo, Matt Garza, Torii Hunter and others, the reality of the Reds situation is that they have probably spent most of this year's budget with extensions for Votto, Bruce, Cueto, Marshall, Masset, Hanigan, Phillips and Arroyo and looming arb cases for major guys like Latos and Bailey as well as guys who played significant roles like Leake, Stubbs and Heisey.

As much as I’d like to see a big fish or two, the likelihood is that the Reds will be improving at the margins through targeted guys who fit needs but are more likely comeback bets, odd men out in their current situations or on the scrap heap. This thread is for your bargain basement suggestions. I’ll Start with a few:

1. Wilson Betemit, 3B, Baltimore - Manny Machado has made Betemit excess baggage in Baltimore. While he’s no world beater, he does have a career OPS over .820 in over 1,700 PAs against RHP. He‘s a switch-hitter who could be used against LHP if need be, but his purpose is to hit against RHP. He’s not a great defender, but in addition to 3B, can still play SS in a pinch and has played a bit at 1B and LF. IF Scott Rolen decides he wants to come back in a part-time role, Betemit may be the perfect guy to share 3B with him. This would free Frazier to fill the hole created in LF by Ryan Ludwick’s free agency. Betemit is signed for around $1.5 Million for 2013 and should be available for spare parts.

2. Roger Bernadina, CF, Washington - The Nat’s OF is already crowded with Michael Morse, Bryce Harper and Jayson Werth. Rumor has it that Michael Bourn is high on their list and Bernadina would seem to be on the fringe of the roster. Bernadina is first year arb eligible, but shouldn’t cost much since he’s always been a part-timer. He did put up a .758 OPS in 233 PAs against RHP in 2012 (.359 OBP). He can play CF and would be a pretty good option in a platoon with Stubbs or Heisey IMO.

3. Luke Scott, LF/1B, FA - Scott has been through a pretty rough injury to his shoulder which has hurt his production. He did come back last season and his splits make him look like a guy for the Reds to try to get on the cheap. He had an .820 OPS in 249 PAs against RHP and, maybe more telling, his OPS in the second half was .845. He say’s that the shoulder is starting to feel a lot better as he gets farther from his surgery and I‘m guessing he‘s ripe for a rebound. He’s probably a part-timer, but if the Reds need to replace Ludwick by mixing and matching, Scott may be a good idea to play in LF against RHP much of the time. Perhaps in a weird platoon with Rolen where Frazier plays LF against LHP and 3B against RHP. He’d probably come cheap. Maybe even on a minor league deal.

4. J. P. Howell, LHRP, FA - Howell had a decent bounce back season last year with 50+ innings with an ERA of 3.04, 7.5 K/9 and 3.9 BB/9. He missed 2010 and was pretty bad in 2011 due to injuries. The Reds bullpen depth was a strength in 2012, but Bullpen depth can quickly become Bullpen dreck and the team needs another lefty. He had some closing experience in 2009 and may be a good guy for the mix if the team moves Chapman to the rotation. Not sure he’s going to be the bargain I hope he will, but if he can be had for $2 Million or less, it would be a good move for the Reds.

5. Grady Sizemore, OF, FA - Purely a scrap heap signing at this point. Lots of injuries may make him a non-factor, but maybe he’ll be this season’s Eric Chavez making key contributions in a part-time role. Better yet, maybe he’ll be Ron Gant circa 1995 or, well, Ryan Ludwick of 2012.

Please add some names here or debate the ones I've thrown out, but somewhere among the big names, a thread discussing the scrap heap may be more in line with this year's actual news.

cinreds21
11-03-2012, 10:55 PM
I wouldn't mind giving Sizemore a one-year deal. He may bust, but then again he may do decent. Would get some females in the seats. (They apparently think he's cute.)

Wonderful Monds
11-03-2012, 10:56 PM
Wouldn't mind Howell, or maybe Sizemore who could probably be at least what Heisey is, or could be an All Star CF if he bounces back.

Tom Servo
11-03-2012, 10:57 PM
I'd take a flier on Sizemore.

cinreds21
11-03-2012, 10:58 PM
And he's also a leadoff hitter, which the Reds need.

Patrick Bateman
11-04-2012, 12:24 AM
Bernadina would be a perfect complement for Stubbs IMO.

Trading assets for Spann or whatever doesn't make as much sense to me as getting a good platoon bat like Bernadina, and combined we could have a cheap and productive CF situation.

Edskin
11-04-2012, 08:16 AM
I wouldn't mind giving Sizemore a one-year deal. He may bust, but then again he may do decent. Would get some females in the seats. (They apparently think he's cute.)

Saying "females think he's cute" is like code for "I' a dude and can recognize when another man is good looking, but I better not come right out and say it."

:)

Tony Cloninger
11-04-2012, 09:48 AM
How much do you think INF Mike Aviles would have been worth trading for?

Cleveland got him along with Yan Gomes for pitcher Esmil Rogers from Toronto.

I think Howell would be good and worth trying for .....more than keeping Bray.

Tony Cloninger
11-04-2012, 10:06 AM
Its only November 3, but weve seen lots of threads suggesting some big moves for the Reds this off-season. While Im as excited as anyone for Justin Upton, Michael Bourn, Shin Soo Choo, Matt Garza, Torii Hunter and others, the reality of the Reds situation is that they have probably spent most of this year's budget with extensions for Votto, Bruce, Cueto, Marshall, Masset, Hanigan, Phillips and Arroyo and looming arb cases for major guys like Latos and Bailey as well as guys who played significant roles like Leake, Stubbs and Heisey.

As much as Id like to see a big fish or two, the likelihood is that the Reds will be improving at the margins through targeted guys who fit needs but are more likely comeback bets, odd men out in their current situations or on the scrap heap. This thread is for your bargain basement suggestions. Ill Start with a few:

1. Wilson Betemit, 3B, Baltimore - Manny Machado has made Betemit excess baggage in Baltimore. While hes no world beater, he does have a career OPS over .820 in over 1,700 PAs against RHP. Hes a switch-hitter who could be used against LHP if need be, but his purpose is to hit against RHP. Hes not a great defender, but in addition to 3B, can still play SS in a pinch and has played a bit at 1B and LF. IF Scott Rolen decides he wants to come back in a part-time role, Betemit may be the perfect guy to share 3B with him. This would free Frazier to fill the hole created in LF by Ryan Ludwicks free agency. Betemit is signed for around $1.5 Million for 2013 and should be available for spare parts.

2. Roger Bernadina, CF, Washington - The Nats OF is already crowded with Michael Morse, Bryce Harper and Jayson Werth. Rumor has it that Michael Bourn is high on their list and Bernadina would seem to be on the fringe of the roster. Bernadina is first year arb eligible, but shouldnt cost much since hes always been a part-timer. He did put up a .758 OPS in 233 PAs against RHP in 2012 (.359 OBP). He can play CF and would be a pretty good option in a platoon with Stubbs or Heisey IMO.

3. Luke Scott, LF/1B, FA - Scott has been through a pretty rough injury to his shoulder which has hurt his production. He did come back last season and his splits make him look like a guy for the Reds to try to get on the cheap. He had an .820 OPS in 249 PAs against RHP and, maybe more telling, his OPS in the second half was .845. He says that the shoulder is starting to feel a lot better as he gets farther from his surgery and Im guessing hes ripe for a rebound. Hes probably a part-timer, but if the Reds need to replace Ludwick by mixing and matching, Scott may be a good idea to play in LF against RHP much of the time. Perhaps in a weird platoon with Rolen where Frazier plays LF against LHP and 3B against RHP. Hed probably come cheap. Maybe even on a minor league deal.

4. J. P. Howell, LHRP, FA - Howell had a decent bounce back season last year with 50+ innings with an ERA of 3.04, 7.5 K/9 and 3.9 BB/9. He missed 2010 and was pretty bad in 2011 due to injuries. The Reds bullpen depth was a strength in 2012, but Bullpen depth can quickly become Bullpen dreck and the team needs another lefty. He had some closing experience in 2009 and may be a good guy for the mix if the team moves Chapman to the rotation. Not sure hes going to be the bargain I hope he will, but if he can be had for $2 Million or less, it would be a good move for the Reds.

5. Grady Sizemore, OF, FA - Purely a scrap heap signing at this point. Lots of injuries may make him a non-factor, but maybe hell be this seasons Eric Chavez making key contributions in a part-time role. Better yet, maybe hell be Ron Gant circa 1995 or, well, Ryan Ludwick of 2012.

Please add some names here or debate the ones I've thrown out, but somewhere among the big names, a thread discussing the scrap heap may be more in line with this year's actual news.

Would Leake for Bernadina fly? They can the try and trade Stubbs for a pitcher...granted it would be a classic #5 starter but who knows, someone may overpay.

mth123
11-04-2012, 10:54 AM
Would Leake for Bernadina fly? They can the try and trade Stubbs for a pitcher...granted it would be a classic #5 starter but who knows, someone may overpay.

I'd hope they could get him for less. I'm thinking more along the lines of Arredondo or Bray.

Benihana
11-04-2012, 12:45 PM
I'd love Sizemore on a one-year, incentive-laden deal with a team option. Let him platoon with Stubbs until Hamilton is ready.

Patrick Bateman
11-04-2012, 12:49 PM
Can't believe it's been 4 years since Sizemore was an effective player. Hard to believe.

He'd come cheap, and who knows. He'd only have to hit righties a bit to be a palatable fit for the roster. At the same times, odds are long that he contributes.

RedsManRick
11-04-2012, 02:55 PM

Bernadina has a career .252/.320/.373 batting line. His .370 OBP last year was largely the product of a .359 BABIP. And that's with the benefit of the platoon. I guess that's better than Drew Stubbs given how crappy he was last year, but I wouldn't trade much of value for him -- Arredondo maybe.

PuffyPig
11-04-2012, 06:46 PM

Leake has more trade value than Bernadina. And Bernadina would likely be a platoon partner for Stubbs.

camisadelgolf
11-05-2012, 09:57 AM
Why give up value for Bernadina when you already have Xavier Paul?

Patrick Bateman
11-05-2012, 10:01 AM

IMO, Bernadina's ability to handle CF makes him more interesting than Paul. Paul isn't a particularly great fielder, and I feel like they may be fairly equal with the bat, but Paul's fiedling eliminates him from my mind as a decent platoon partner. It's not a huge margin, but it is something IMO.

chicoruiz
11-05-2012, 01:48 PM
Random thought: I wonder if Scutaro could play 3b.

bucksfan2
11-05-2012, 02:06 PM

Scutaro is going to get paid, paid much more than he is worth because of his 2 month span with the Giants.

He would have been a nice player but he is no longer going to be in the "bargain basement".

PuffyPig
11-05-2012, 07:08 PM

He'd be pretty unexciting as a 3B.

HokieRed
11-05-2012, 07:31 PM
IMO, Bernadina's ability to handle CF makes him more interesting than Paul. Paul isn't a particularly great fielder, and I feel like they may be fairly equal with the bat, but Paul's fiedling eliminates him from my mind as a decent platoon partner. It's not a huge margin, but it is something IMO.

Does Felix Perez have a chance to fit in anywhere next year as part of an outfield platoon? .301/.348/.401/.749 last year at L'ville but stronger in the second half. Not advocating this, just asking for opinions.

LegallyMinded
11-05-2012, 08:03 PM
I've been intrigued by Erik Bedard as a possible bargain signing. He had a pretty miserable 2012, but that would make him cheap to sign (He settled for 1.5M and 1.0M in 2010 and 2011, for instance.), and as recently as 2011 he had decent numbers. It seems like he could be stashed away at triple A as insurance in case the Reds aren't as fortunate with rotation health next year, and could provide a better option than Todd Redmond or Jeff Francis.

Vottomatic
11-05-2012, 08:53 PM
I've been intrigued by Erik Bedard as a possible bargain signing. He had a pretty miserable 2012, but that would make him cheap to sign (He settled for 1.5M and 1.0M in 2010 and 2011, for instance.), and as recently as 2011 he had decent numbers. It seems like he could be stashed away at triple A as insurance in case the Reds aren't as fortunate with rotation health next year, and could provide a better option than Todd Redmond or Jeff Francis.

My first reaction is to say no to Bedard.

But when you consider what Brian Price has done with this rotation, maybe he could revive Bedard's career.

mth123
11-05-2012, 10:25 PM

Can Paul play CF? Adding an OF doesn't improve the team much unless it takes PAs away from Drew Stubbs vs RHP. Xavier Paul doesn't do that.

M2
11-05-2012, 11:00 PM
Scott Hairston. Discount player who's always produced pop in extreme pitcher's parks. Plays all over the OF and both IF corners. Love to see him providing depth on the Reds.

Patrick Bateman
11-06-2012, 12:04 AM
Does Felix Perez have a chance to fit in anywhere next year as part of an outfield platoon? .301/.348/.401/.749 last year at L'ville but stronger in the second half. Not advocating this, just asking for opinions.

He's likely nice depth to have at this point because of his defensive ability, but at this point, hard to imagine giving him a key reserve role until he's banging on the door. I think we need to have a better option on paper going into the season.

mth123
11-06-2012, 05:36 AM
Scott Hairston. Discount player who's always produced pop in extreme pitcher's parks. Plays all over the OF and both IF corners. Love to see him providing depth on the Reds.

Hairston is pretty splitty, He looks a lot like many of the Reds guys who mash LHP, have a low OBP and a high slugging pct. He might be a decent option to back-fill for Ludwick provided the Reds have a 300 PA lefty bat to share the job with him (Xavier Paul?). The line-up really struggles against RHP already and I'd hope that any guys brought in would profile a bit differently than the low OBP, high slugging, big split RH bats like the Reds have so many of. That said, his versatility is a plus and he would be a good guy to mix and match with in LF (better than Heisey IMO). He would seem to be a guy who would thrive in GABP.

If he could be had for a couple of million bucks, he'd be a decent get for the LF mix. He'd probably be a nice cheap option if they can't afford Ludwick.

Of course if bringing in a low OBP, high pop, somewhat splitty RH bat to split LF with Xavier Paul is the path chosen, that would seem to open the field a lot. A couple of familiar free agent names to chew on:

1. Jonny Gomes - Kills LHP, good in the clubhouse (that may be losing Rolen and Cairo) and can hit in the middle of the order. He needs a platoon partner.

2. Austin Kearns - Not splitty at all. Actually has been better against RHP than LHP and historically gets on base at a much better clip than most of the bats on this offense. Not sure if he's still a plus defender, but he'd probably do well sharing LF.

Of course a LH bat who looks somewhat similar to these guys would be better. That brings me to the name I've floated the last couple of years and was left off of my original list. Seth Smith would seem to be the perfect guy for the Reds to target in LF. Should not be overly expensive, kills RHP, decent defender, profiles well in GABP, may be the odd man out in Oakland with Cespedes, Crisp, Reddick and Young ahead of him and Michael Taylor and Jermaine Mitchell around as well. Michael Choice may force his way in this year too. Smith should be available yet again. I'd hate to deal Didi, but he'd be an obvious fit for what ails the A's most (Adam Rosales is currently penciled in as the starter at SS.)

Vottomatic
11-06-2012, 08:04 AM
Bernadina kind of scares me. He's had one decent, not great, year. In 2010 and 2011 his OBP was .307 and .301. Drew Stubbs lite. He's had 536 at-bats combined the last 2 years.

Is he on the rise? Or was last season a fluke? Is he a utility player that someone is trying to say is the answer? Or a guy who is coming into his own and could become a starter?

I'd error on the side of caution.

buckeyenut
11-06-2012, 06:54 PM
Hairston is pretty splitty, He looks a lot like many of the Reds guys who mash LHP, have a low OBP and a high slugging pct. He might be a decent option to back-fill for Ludwick provided the Reds have a 300 PA lefty bat to share the job with him (Xavier Paul?). The line-up really struggles against RHP already and I'd hope that any guys brought in would profile a bit differently than the low OBP, high slugging, big split RH bats like the Reds have so many of. That said, his versatility is a plus and he would be a good guy to mix and match with in LF (better than Heisey IMO). He would seem to be a guy who would thrive in GABP.

If he could be had for a couple of million bucks, he'd be a decent get for the LF mix. He'd probably be a nice cheap option if they can't afford Ludwick.

Of course if bringing in a low OBP, high pop, somewhat splitty RH bat to split LF with Xavier Paul is the path chosen, that would seem to open the field a lot. A couple of familiar free agent names to chew on:

1. Jonny Gomes - Kills LHP, good in the clubhouse (that may be losing Rolen and Cairo) and can hit in the middle of the order. He needs a platoon partner.

2. Austin Kearns - Not splitty at all. Actually has been better against RHP than LHP and historically gets on base at a much better clip than most of the bats on this offense. Not sure if he's still a plus defender, but he'd probably do well sharing LF.

Of course a LH bat who looks somewhat similar to these guys would be better. That brings me to the name I've floated the last couple of years and was left off of my original list. Seth Smith would seem to be the perfect guy for the Reds to target in LF. Should not be overly expensive, kills RHP, decent defender, profiles well in GABP, may be the odd man out in Oakland with Cespedes, Crisp, Reddick and Young ahead of him and Michael Taylor and Jermaine Mitchell around as well. Michael Choice may force his way in this year too. Smith should be available yet again. I'd hate to deal Didi, but he'd be an obvious fit for what ails the A's most (Adam Rosales is currently penciled in as the starter at SS.)

What about a Seth Smith / Johny Gomes platoon in LF? Wouldn't that be a perfect fit?

mth123
11-07-2012, 03:14 AM
What about a Seth Smith / Johny Gomes platoon in LF? Wouldn't that be a perfect fit?

Yep. Been hoping for that since 2010.

mth123
11-07-2012, 06:19 AM
Bernadina kind of scares me. He's had one decent, not great, year. In 2010 and 2011 his OBP was .307 and .301. Drew Stubbs lite. He's had 536 at-bats combined the last 2 years.

Is he on the rise? Or was last season a fluke? Is he a utility player that someone is trying to say is the answer? Or a guy who is coming into his own and could become a starter?

I'd error on the side of caution.

Of course he's a low budget option. But consider this vs RHP

Drew Stubbs OBP 2011 .298, 2012 .259
Roger Bernadina OBP 2011 .322, 2012 .359
Chris Heisey OBP 2011 .324, 2012 .314

Reducing Stubbs exposure to RHP while replacing it with somebody who can approach average while maintaining defense in CF would be a huge improvement. We're talking about filling a roster spot with a guy making near league minimum who could probably be acquired for little. If the Nats would want anything that would cause pain to deal, then move on. OTOH, if he could be acquired for next to no talent and not cause budget issues that may force to the team to pass on somebody who'd be more useful for the bullpen or LF, then its a move to make.

Vottomatic
11-07-2012, 09:07 AM
All of this platooning is mularkey. You all assume Dusty will use them correctly, which he never does.

mth123
11-22-2012, 03:58 PM
Another bargain name on the waiver wire right now is Danny Valencia. He was terrible in 2012, but he's decent at 3B and in 2010 went .374/.441/.525/.967 in 111 PAs against LHP. In 2011 he went .309/.352/.470/.822 in 159 PAs against LHP. Even with an awful 2012, his career line vs. LHP is .316/.359/.472/.831 in 359 PAs. I'd rather have Rolen playing 3B against LHP, but if Rolen retires and the budget is tight. sticking Frazier in LF and splitting 3B between a couple cheap additions wouldn't be the worst thing.

Deal for Betemit and if Rolen comes back let them split it. If Rolen retires, Valencia might not be bad. If he stinks they can always cut him after a couple months. By then a kid might be ready in the OF to push Frazier back to 3B.

The Reds need 5 bodies or so for the big league team. Either a primary LF or 3B who can help on offense, a middle infielder, a back-up corner IF, a reliever and lead-off/centerfielder. They are going to have to go cheap on some of those spots. I'd spend most of what is available on CF and the bullpen.

Tom Servo
11-22-2012, 04:01 PM
I've been intrigued by Valencia, but more as a Louisville project.

Vottomatic
11-23-2012, 10:03 AM
This offseason is shaping up to look like the offseason after 2010. Seems like alot of teams are overspending on average players.

Last offseason seemed like the big names, Pujols, etc. were getting the big money and teams were hedging spending on average guys.

PuffyPig
11-25-2012, 10:56 AM
All of this platooning is mularkey. You all assume Dusty will use them correctly, which he never does.

Has Baker ever had any true platoon partners to use?

camisadelgolf
11-25-2012, 01:38 PM
Has Baker ever had any true platoon partners to use?
Gomes/Nix
Taveras/Dickerson
Patterson/Dickerson
Gomes/Lewis

Crumbley
11-25-2012, 01:48 PM
This game moves so fast, completely forgot Fred Lewis had a stint here.

mth123
11-25-2012, 02:55 PM
Gomes/Nix
Taveras/Dickerson
Patterson/Dickerson
Gomes/Lewis

Patterson and Dickerson were both lefty bats.

camisadelgolf
11-25-2012, 03:10 PM
Patterson and Dickerson were both lefty bats.
Oops. I copy-pasta'd wrong. I meant Freel.

REDREAD
11-26-2012, 10:25 AM
Gomes/Nix
Taveras/Dickerson
Patterson/Dickerson
Gomes/Lewis

I think Nix was used in a lot of platoon situations.

Honestly, Lewis and Dickerson were just bad players.

I think Dusty is effective at rotating bench bats into the game, but he considers other things besides whether the opposing starter is LH or RH.. In other words, Dusty doesn't do strict platoons, but he is good at leveraging the strengths of his bench players. He tends to start them against pitchers that he feels he will have successa against.

Tom Servo
11-26-2012, 12:03 PM
I disagree that Dickerson was a bad player. He was a good player who couldn't stay healthy, ever.

gilpdawg
11-26-2012, 08:51 PM
I disagree that Dickerson was a bad player. He was a good player who couldn't stay healthy, ever.

Agree. His career .352 OBP would have looked good at the top of our lineup last year compared to what they ran out there. Career 101 OPS+. Not a star but he'd be a useful player if he would be healthy and someone would actually roster him for a full season, since NYY has stuck him at AAA of late.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk HD

Gallen5862
11-26-2012, 11:39 PM
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/#HpVO3Mc8JcCtQp5r.99

Giants Likely To Non-Tender Brian Wilson
By Steve Adams [November 26 at 8:47pm CST]
Brian Wilson has saved 171 games for the Giants dating back to 2006, but now, following his Tommy John surgery earlier this year, it appears likely that he'll be non-tendered, according to Henry Schulman of the San Francisco Chronicle.

As Schulman notes, teams must pay arbitration-eligible players at least 80 percent of their previous salary, which would mean the minimum offer the Giants can make Wilson is $6.8MM. That's a hefty price tag for a closer coming off Tommy John, even if he was elite at his peak. The Giants would like to non-tender Wilson and re-sign him to a one-year deal with a lower base salary, but Wilson isn't as open to that scenario.

Read more at http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/#F9P9gyvoxPHxPCDu.99

camisadelgolf
11-27-2012, 09:07 PM
Although I'm not sure he belongs in the "bargain basement" category, it's expected that Andres Torres will be non-tendered by the Mets. If the Reds spend nearly all their available budget on a left fielder and closer, maybe Torres could be brought in at a reasonable cost to platoon with Drew Stubbs in center. But when I started researching it, I found out he struggles against right-handed pitching and fares much better against lefties. Still, depending on how the off-season unfolds, he might be someone worth keeping in mind.
http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/t/torrean02.shtml

Spitball
11-29-2012, 10:08 AM
Nate McLouth is a lefty batting centerfielder who has stuggled in recent years. He doesn't get on base enough, but he decent splits versus right-handed pitching.

He should be cheap but his hot second half might raise his value.

Scrap Irony
11-29-2012, 12:07 PM
Chris Davis is an absolute butcher any where but 1B, but he can play all four corner spots and his wRC+ v. RH was a more then respectable 122. I'd guess a guy like Mike Leake would really interest Buck Showalter and company. He Ks a ton, but his power would be nice.

You might also look at a guy like Kyle Seager from Seattle. He's an IF with a good bat, good glove, decent patience, solid approach. (Reminds me a bit of Aaron Boone, fwiw.) Leake isn't a real fit there-- unless, of course, they decide to package a couple TOR prospect arms to nab Mike Olt and Elvis Andrus from Texas or Aaron Gordon/ Wil Myers from KC.

Speaking of Gordon, he'd be my top choice, I think. However, he's not a bargain basement player at all, so we can ignore that.

Choo also hits RH well, but is certainly no bargain in prospects or cost either.

mdccclxix
11-30-2012, 04:55 PM
Non tenders:

Nate Schierholtz OPS north of .800 vs RHP the last 2 seasons
Ryan Sweeney OBP in the mid .300's vs RHP

Both LH bats for the outfield.

Scrap Irony
11-30-2012, 05:14 PM
Non tenders:

Sweeney as a platoon partner for Frazier in LF (with Frazier moving to 3B and Rolen getting a rest) wouldn't be the worst idea.

If the Reds could then land a legitimate CF guy who can lead off, you might have something:

Fowler CF
Phillips 2B
Votto 1B
Frazier 3B/ LF
Bruce RF
Sweeney LF/ Rolen 3B
Hanigan C
Cozart/ Gregorius SS

The bench:
Heisey
Paul
Mesoraco
Gregorius
Rolen

That's not a bad bench, as Rolen could handle, IMO, a reduced role and thrive.

Gallen5862
11-30-2012, 10:31 PM
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

Nationals Non-Tender John Lannan
By Mike Axisa [November 30 at 9:28pm CST]
The Nationals have non-tendered John Lannan, reports Bill Ladson of MLB.com (on Twitter). The left-hander was projected to earn $5MM during his third trip through arbitration this winter according to Matt Swartz.

Lannan, 28, made only six starts for Washington this year. He pitched to a 4.13 ERA with 4.7 K/9 and 3.9 BB/9 in 32 2/3 innings while spending most of the season in Triple-A despite a hefty $5MM salary. Lannan posted a 4.30 ERA with 5.2 K/9 and 3.0 BB/9 while in the minors.

Read more at http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/#CFxQISAqBcCgTi4L.99

M2
11-30-2012, 10:32 PM
Non tenders:

Please, anything but Ryan Sweeney. No speed. No power. He's a placeholder. Dullest player on the planet.

schroomytunes
12-05-2012, 08:30 AM
Some Guys I still like on the market for backup jobs are:

1) Scott Rolen-3b

2) Adam Kennedy-takes over Cairo role

3) Jeff Keppinger-same as above

4) Randy Choate-LHRP

5) JP Howell-LHRP