PDA

View Full Version : Louisville Manager

alett12
11-05-2012, 12:06 PM
So there has not been any manager named yet for the Bats, has anyone heard of any potential candidates? here are 5 guys I think could be considered.
1. Corky Miller
2. Billy Hatcher
3. Joe Oliver
4. Ryan Freel
5. Some one that they would like to replace dusty with.

JayBruceFan
11-05-2012, 12:11 PM
I wouldn't look past Delino Deshields as a potential candidate

alett12
11-05-2012, 12:29 PM
I wouldn't look past Delino Deshields as a potential candidate

I forgot about him, there are two others that I don't think are as likely and they are Riggleman and Griffey Sr.

redsof72
11-05-2012, 02:19 PM
Rick Sweet? Some believe that his move to catching coordinator was largely the result of efforts to avoid losing Bell. Now that Bell is gone...

alett12
11-05-2012, 04:03 PM
Rick Sweet? Some believe that his move to catching coordinator was largely the result of efforts to avoid losing Bell. Now that Bell is gone...

The way I saw it was as stacking the organization against Dusty so they could bring in Rick Sweet.

dougdirt
11-05-2012, 04:49 PM
I am with '72, I read it as a way to keep David Bell in the organization.

Wonderful Monds
11-05-2012, 07:17 PM
Freel?

BEETTLEBUG
11-05-2012, 10:04 PM
Rick Sweet

klw
11-06-2012, 08:55 AM
It could also go to Riggleman if he stays in the organization.

batsfan
11-06-2012, 09:41 AM
When the Bats posted on facebook that Bell was gone, pretty much everybody commented that Corky Miller should replace him. He would be a very popular choice, and I would love to see him manage the Bats, but I think Rick Sweet would be a good move as well.

redsof72
11-06-2012, 11:46 AM
Anything is possible, though I would think that if he is going to manage, it would begin in Billings or perhaps Dayton. You do not see a lot of Triple-A guys hired without some managerial experience. The White Sox did it at the big league level, but it is somewhat rare.

alett12
11-06-2012, 12:39 PM
The fans in Louisville love Corky which is why I could see him getting it but I say freel because he played with the aggressiveness that is needed in the system and he was around long enough to know how to put everything together as a manager.

dougdirt
11-06-2012, 12:46 PM
The fans in Louisville love Corky which is why I could see him getting it but I say freel because he played with the aggressiveness that is needed in the system and he was around long enough to know how to put everything together as a manager.

What the fans want is completely irrelevant to this conversation though. Fans in general are dumb. Simply being around long enough doesn't mean you can be a good manager.

alett12
11-06-2012, 01:24 PM
What the fans want is completely irrelevant to this conversation though. Fans in general are dumb. Simply being around long enough doesn't mean you can be a good manager.

That is true, however catchers generally make better managers than other positions and Corky started with the Reds system and he would be a very good candidate to help make players better

dougdirt
11-06-2012, 01:27 PM
That is true, however catchers generally make better managers than other positions and Corky started with the Reds system and he would be a very good candidate to help make players better

I was more so talking about Freel than Corky, but either way, I highly doubt you see a fresh to managing guy take over a AAA team. That just doesn't happen too often.

alett12
11-06-2012, 01:30 PM
I was more so talking about Freel than Corky, but either way, I highly doubt you see a fresh to managing guy take over a AAA team. That just doesn't happen too often.

My bad on that one and I don't see Freel as manager at this point but I feel that he could be one eventually which is why I put him on the list

dougdirt
11-06-2012, 01:41 PM
My bad on that one and I don't see Freel as manager at this point but I feel that he could be one eventually which is why I put him on the list

Why would you put him on the list for a Louisville manager when you didn't think he would be one at this point? Do you even know if he has any interest in being a manager?

alett12
11-06-2012, 02:08 PM
Why would you put him on the list for a Louisville manager when you didn't think he would be one at this point? Do you even know if he has any interest in being a manager?

I'm just saying basically that I think he would be a good manager if given the chance and he wanted to, I never said he wanted to.

dougdirt
11-06-2012, 02:21 PM
Then why even list him? Doesn't make sense.

camisadelgolf
11-06-2012, 03:36 PM
Then why even list him? Doesn't make sense.
Because it's a message board.

dougdirt
11-06-2012, 05:00 PM
Because it's a message board.

Your mom is a message board.

camisadelgolf
11-06-2012, 07:04 PM
Your mom is a message board.
Reported.

dougdirt
11-06-2012, 07:17 PM
Reported.

Look, I am just upset that I am no long a part of your signature.

camisadelgolf
11-06-2012, 07:47 PM
Look, I am just upset that I am no long a part of your signature.
What a baby. Reported again.

redsof72
11-14-2012, 02:09 PM
When looking at who could be brought in for Louisville job, recent history would indicate a very high likelihood of it being someone with Cardinals ties, more so than Reds ties. Since WJ took over, look at all the coaches they have hired who played or coached for the Cards: Riggins, Bell, Riggleman, DeShields, Fossas, Marrero. Pretty much every new hire. Some of those were with the Cards for longer than others, but they all had Cards ties.

_Sir_Charles_
11-17-2012, 11:29 AM
We should be thinking about Pensacola manager as well quite possibly. Down to Tracy and Riggleman for the Toronto job.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/8641961/toronto-blue-jays-close-naming-new-manager-sources-say

marcshoe
11-17-2012, 12:45 PM
We should be thinking about Pensacola manager as well quite possibly. Down to Tracy and Riggleman for the Toronto job.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/8641961/toronto-blue-jays-close-naming-new-manager-sources-say

So the Blue Jays go all in, then consider hiring Jim Tracy to head things up? yeesh.

camisadelgolf
11-17-2012, 01:14 PM
So the Blue Jays go all in, then consider hiring Jim Tracy to head things up? yeesh.
It reminds me a lot of the Marlins and Ozzie Guillen for some reason.

JayBruceFan
11-17-2012, 03:38 PM
How does Jim Tracy keep getting work?

19braves77
11-17-2012, 05:23 PM
Tracy is traditional with having a everyday lineup and not playing match ups in late innings. After typing that I know it makes zero sense, but the Blue Jays aren't being built to win games 2-1 in the 8th inning.

Hoping its Riggleman for the Blue Jays job just so I can see a new manager in Pensacola. Give us Delino !!!!

19braves77
12-06-2012, 10:59 AM
PNJ had article today that Riggleman was going to be the Bats manager.

batsfan
12-06-2012, 01:22 PM
PNJ had article today that Riggleman was going to be the Bats manager.

Could you post a link please? This is very suprising, considering this article that just came out yesterday: http://www.masnsports.com/school_of_roch/2012/12/add-jim-riggleman-to-list-of-potential-orioles-third-base-coaches.html

Former Nationals manager Jim Riggleman is being considered for the Orioles' third base coaching job.

"I had a few opportunities in the majors and decided that where I'm at now was too good of an opportunity," said Riggleman, who resigned as Nationals manager during the 2011 season. "I enjoy where I'm at and what I'm doing, but Maryland is home for me. It's an interesting dilemma. It's a no-lose situation for me. I enjoy Pensacola very much, but a chance to go back to Maryland is appealing to me."

I was really hoping for either Corky or Rick Sweet...

Tony Cloninger
12-08-2012, 08:39 PM
What the heck do the people in the FO have against Sweet here? They seem to want to bury this guy, when he looks to be a good candidate to manage.

dougdirt
12-08-2012, 09:30 PM
What the heck do the people in the FO have against Sweet here? They seem to want to bury this guy, when he looks to be a good candidate to manage.

What makes you think they have something against him? If they had something against him, they wouldn't have kept him around in the organization.

19braves77
12-09-2012, 02:49 AM
Could you post a link please? This is very suprising, considering this article that just came out yesterday: http://www.masnsports.com/school_of_roch/2012/12/add-jim-riggleman-to-list-of-potential-orioles-third-base-coaches.html

I was really hoping for either Corky or Rick Sweet...

The piece never went online it basically said what the Wahoos were doing at the Winter Meetings and that Riggleman was slated to be the 2013 Manager of the Bats. The odd thing is Riggleman will be in Pensacola for a Wahoos Christmas event next week.

Tony Cloninger
12-10-2012, 09:55 AM
What makes you think they have something against him? If they had something against him, they wouldn't have kept him around in the organization.

That's why I asked the question. If you think they don't beacuse they kept him around ....ok. Why would he not be the obvious person to manage Louisville considering how well he did with them ?

dougdirt
12-10-2012, 02:07 PM
That's why I asked the question. If you think they don't beacuse they kept him around ....ok. Why would he not be the obvious person to manage Louisville considering how well he did with them ?

Perhaps he would rather have the current job he is in?

Tony Cloninger
12-10-2012, 02:40 PM
Perhaps he would rather have the current job he is in?

Are you asking me or telling me that is the case? :laugh:

dougdirt
12-10-2012, 03:11 PM
Are you asking me or telling me that is the case? :laugh:

Asking. I honestly don't know anything about the situation at all. Simply suggesting that it wouldn't be the first guy who would rather be a "rover" than in one place (Mario Soto does this as well, it gives him a little more free time for other matters that he takes care of in his life).

19braves77
12-12-2012, 11:18 AM
Dayton let out lot of info on coaching staffs today:

Delino Deshields will be managing Pensacola.

Jose Nieves will be managing Dayton with Tony Fossas as PC

JaxRed
12-12-2012, 12:17 PM
Nice promotion for Delino

batsfan
12-12-2012, 01:55 PM
Bats broadcaster Matt Andrews just tweeted that Riggleman will manage the Bats in 2013. Good choice, but I would have preferred Sweet or Corky...

19braves77
12-12-2012, 02:09 PM
Wahoos staff will remain the same with only change being Delino.

GOYA
12-12-2012, 02:29 PM
"Jim Riggleman to manage Bats in 2013"

http://louisville.bats.milb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20121212&content_id=40626224&vkey=news_t416&fext=.jsp&sid=t416

muddie
12-12-2012, 03:54 PM
Does anyone have any inclination where they will go with the pitching coach job? I'm surprised that Power wasn't named. In that he wasn't, are we to assume he is not in the dugout this year? Anyone?

camisadelgolf
12-12-2012, 04:03 PM
Ted Power has been retained as the pitching coach for Louisville.

klw
12-12-2012, 04:20 PM
It could also go to Riggleman if he stays in the organization.

http://www.growingandgrowing.com/uploaded_images/pat-731186.gif

http://raisedonhoecakes.com/ROH/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/Blind-Squirrel-Finds-a-Nut-small.jpg

muddie
12-13-2012, 11:18 AM
Ted Power has been retained as the pitching coach for Louisville.

Ted is the man. Coolest shades in the minor leagues.

Tony Cloninger
12-14-2012, 08:45 AM
Asking. I honestly don't know anything about the situation at all. Simply suggesting that it wouldn't be the first guy who would rather be a "rover" than in one place (Mario Soto does this as well, it gives him a little more free time for other matters that he takes care of in his life).

If he is happy being a rover....than that's great. I like him as a manager though and it's a shame he is not at this time.

RED VAN HOT
12-14-2012, 02:32 PM
Where do these moves leave Griffey? Is he happy staying at Bakersfield? I thought he might move up before DD was promoted to Pensacola.

_Sir_Charles_
12-14-2012, 06:05 PM
Today the Reds named Ronnie Ortegon Major League assistant hitting coach, Ryan Jackson minor league hitting coordinator, Jim Riggleman manager at Louisville, Delino DeShields manager at Pensacola, Ken Griffey Sr. manager at Bakersfield, Jose Nieves manager at Dayton, Pat Kelly manager at Billings and Eli Marrero manager at AZL Reds; promoted Nick Krall to Director of Baseball Operations, Jeff Graupe to Director of Player Development, Sam Grossman to Director of Baseball Research and Analysis, Jeff Taylor to Special Assistant to the GM and John Morris to Special Assistant to the GM; named Reed MacPhail Baseball Operations Assistant and Will Harford professional scout…in 2012, Riggleman managed at Pensacola, DeShields at Dayton and Nieves at AZL Reds…Marrero was the hitting coach at Bakersfield…Jackson had been the hitting coach at Louisville…Griffey will manage his third season at Bakersfield and Kelly his third at Billings.

19braves77
12-14-2012, 06:55 PM
Hope Eli makes it to Pensacola eventually.

12-14-2012, 08:20 PM
From what I've read and heard, Riggleman is outstanding with young talent, a great teacher. Good choice for Louisville.

JaxRed
12-14-2012, 10:02 PM
Hope Eli makes it to Pensacola eventually.

Eli?

Ahhh Marrero......

Vottomatic
12-15-2012, 12:31 PM
Reds management doing it right.

If the financials were even, this organization would win it every year. But it's hard to compete with the Yankees and now Dodgers who buy their way to the postseason. It's really frustrating.

Castellini and Walt are doing any outstanding job.

Blitz Dorsey
12-18-2012, 12:57 AM
I'm glad we have Riggleman in the organization. That said, I just can't get over what a boneheaded move he made quitting as Nats manager midway through 2011. He might not admit it publicly, but guaranteed he regrets that decision. Not only did you give up one of only 30 MLB manager gigs; it was with a good team in a new park in a big market. Dumb, dumb, dumb. "Don't let your pride get in the way of making good decisions." Everyone can learn from that quote.

Scrap Irony
12-18-2012, 06:51 AM
I'm guessing he was gone at the end of the season anyway. I think he saw the writing on the wall and gambled.

He lost the gamble.

19braves77
01-25-2013, 03:00 AM
At the Wahoos Meet and Greet tonight, Deshields said the hitting coach will be Dick Schofield. Am thinking Deshields is confused.

http://www.pnj.com/article/20130125/SPORTS/301250024/Delino-DeShields-new-sheriff-town-Wahoos

Steve4192
01-25-2013, 10:47 AM
Interesting that Deshields leapfrogged Griffey.

I won if Ken Sr. was offered the position and turned it down in order to remain on the west coast, or if Deshields is just more highly valued by the Reds organization.

redsmetz
01-26-2013, 03:00 PM
At the Wahoos Meet and Greet tonight, Deshields said the hitting coach will be Dick Schofield. Am thinking Deshields is confused.

http://www.pnj.com/article/20130125/SPORTS/301250024/Delino-DeShields-new-sheriff-town-Wahoos

Interesting that the Bats don't have a batting coach listed on their roster. I wonder if the Reds are thinking of moving Tony Jaramillo up there and hiring Schofield for Pensacola. You'd think they would have announced a hiring if it's OK to discuss it publicly.