PDA

View Full Version : Off-season transactions

redsof72
11-06-2012, 11:53 AM
Released: Josh Judy, Dan Jensen, Spencer Dickinson, James Ewing, Chris Joyce, Brayan Arias.

20 players have become 6-year free agents who could still re-sign with the Reds. Most have been reported, but list includes Valaika, Fisher, Willie Harris, Reineke, Costanzo, Webb, Rojas, Corky, Brackman, De La Rosa, Gallagher, Griffin, Gustafson, Ohman, Peacock, P.J. Phillips, Texeira, Vasquez (suspended for first 50 games) and a couple who reportedly already signed elsewhere, Jordan Smith, Obispo.

redsof72
11-06-2012, 03:52 PM
Note that any of those players are eligible to be re-signed by the Reds. Players may want to test the water. There is quite a bit of money out there for a six-year free agent that has value.

Some players on this list that are longtime Reds farmhands, kind of sorry to see them go, though spots are needed for younger guys in some cases. Chris Valaika, truly a class act on every team he has been a part of. Miguel Rojas, one of my favorite players in Dragons history and one of the best defensive players ever to come through Dayton. Carlos Fisher gave you everything he had. Griffin is a longtimer. Of course, Corky. Reineke would be a guy that will not struggle to find a job.

JayBruceFan
11-06-2012, 06:03 PM
Wow, they gave up on Dickinson and Jensen rather quickly.

Gallen5862
11-07-2012, 07:47 PM
http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/prospects/2012/11/minor-league-transactions-oct-24-31/

Cincinnati Reds
Released: LHP Alexander Smit
Assigned to Arizona Fall League: 3B Travis Mattair

camisadelgolf
11-08-2012, 01:39 AM
Wow. Smit retired after the 2010 season. I didn't expect his name to be brought up.

dougdirt
11-08-2012, 01:52 AM
Wow. Smit retired after the 2010 season. I didn't expect his name to be brought up.

I wonder if he decided to give baseball another shot and since the Reds still retained his rights, they released him to give him a chance elsewhere?

redsof72
11-08-2012, 04:10 PM
I believe there is a limit on how long you can hold a retired player's rights before you have to release him. I am sure the Reds still hold rights to players like Chase Ware, Shane Carlson, Blair Carson, Joseph Krebs, Justin Walker, etc. (all guys who retired).

I knew a player once who was demoted by his organization and asked for his release rather than report. The organization refused to grant the release so the player retired. The organization kept him on the appropriate list to hold his rights for as long as they were allowed.

Gallen5862
11-08-2012, 09:08 PM
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

Minor Moves: Bray, Valdez, Rondon, Hernandez
By Mark Polishuk [November 8 at 4:38pm CST]
Here are a few of the day's minor transactions...

Left-hander Bill Bray and infielder Wilson Valdez have elected to become free agents, according to MLB.com's transactions page. With Valdez entering his second year of arbitration-eligibility and Bray his third, both players were seen as non-tender candidates by MLBTR's Tim Dierkes following their disappointing seasons for the Reds. Valdez, 34, posted a .463 OPS in 208 plate appearances as a backup infielder. Bray was limited to just 14 games due to groin and back injuries, but he'll surely draw interest from teams looking for lefty relief help; Bray posted a 2.98 ERA and recorded 44 strikeouts over 48 1/3 innings for Cincinnati in 2011.

MBZags
11-08-2012, 09:19 PM
I'm sad to see Jensen released. I went to school with him and played basketball with him; he's an awesome guy.

redsof72
11-09-2012, 10:27 AM
Jensen is a great person and it was really nice to see him get to pitch in his hometown in 2012, the first Dayton-area player ever to play for the Dragons. His father, who is very close to Dan, rode his motorcycle to many of the road games in addition to being at the home games and it was a great experience for them.

The other two released players who played in Dayton are also super people. James Ewing had been out of the game for a couple years and got his Masters. He was working out with Jay Bruce in the offseason and got to come back and play for another year. He had some skills but his body wouldn't hold up and he slowed down over the season. Very intelligent, pleasant person, will do well.

Spencer Dickinson is a very interesting person. His late father once beat Jack Nicklaus in sudden death overtime to win a tournament and his mother was President of the LPGA. One of the more polite, respectful players you would ever meet, called everyone sir. He never really got a chance to show what he could do after signing as a dreaded undrafted free agent, which is like signing your own death certificate in most cases. Almost impossible for those guys getting 10 at-bats a week or less to put up good numbers. Many times, they are better players than the guys getting the playing time and everyone knows it, so it becomes that much more frustrating for them.

Many of the players that fans would enjoy the most as people are guys who did not make it as players, but they will do well in life.

JayBruceFan
11-09-2012, 02:33 PM
I got to hang around with some of the guys in Dayton this season and Spencer was by far the coolest guy on the team. Sad to see him go but I hope he does well wherever he ends up.

mth123
11-13-2012, 03:30 AM
Chris Valaika signs a minor league deal with the Marlins.

Joseph
11-13-2012, 07:57 PM
Chris Valaika signs a minor league deal with the Marlins.

Looking like a big league deal after the big trade.

JaxRed
11-13-2012, 08:05 PM
You wonder if they might have said something to him. "Chris, here's our depth chart" and then hold up a blank sheet of paper

JayBruceFan
11-13-2012, 08:14 PM
You wonder if they might have said something to him. "Chris, here's our depth chart" and then hold up a blank sheet of paper

Ha! :thumbup:

cinreds21
11-14-2012, 02:32 PM
Matt Eddy ‏@eddymk
#Reds sign veteran 1B Mike Hessman, who mashed 35 HR in Triple-A this year & has 384 career pro homers, 364 in U.S. minors.

Former Tiger if I recall correctly.

cinreds21
11-14-2012, 02:37 PM
And...

Matt Eddy ‏@eddymk
#Reds sign 3B Marquez Smith, former #Cubs prospect who's a career .294/.365/.507 hitter in 181 career Triple-A games.

Tom Servo
11-14-2012, 03:13 PM
Awwwww yeah, Walt with the big free agency splashes.

camisadelgolf
11-14-2012, 03:19 PM
I wonder if this means Beau Mills will be staying in Pensacola this upcoming season.

Gallen5862
11-14-2012, 03:54 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Hessman

Michael Steven Hessman (born March 5, 1978, in Fountain Valley, California) is a first baseman who is currently a free agent. The currently active leader in career minor league home runs with 359 as of August 20, 2012, including 249 at the AAA level, Hessman is often referred to admiringly as a real life Crash Davis.[1]

texasdave
11-14-2012, 04:36 PM
How does this affect Neftali Soto?

batsfan
11-14-2012, 05:04 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Hessman

Michael Steven Hessman (born March 5, 1978, in Fountain Valley, California) is a first baseman who is currently a free agent. The currently active leader in career minor league home runs with 359 as of August 20, 2012, including 249 at the AAA level, Hessman is often referred to admiringly as a real life Crash Davis.[1]

Hessman used to absolutely kill the Louisville Bats when he played for Toledo. I always had a feeling would someday play for them.

batsfan
11-14-2012, 05:04 PM
How does this affect Neftali Soto?

Hessman is a third baseman, and a surprisingly good one for his size, if I remember correctly. But I see he is listed as 1B and Smith a 3B. One possibility would be Hessman as a DH at AAA, another would be for Smith to go to AA, or Hessman could be released if they don't like what they see in ST.

camisadelgolf
11-17-2012, 07:32 AM
Any guesses on how long it'll be until the Reds sign Bryan Anderson?

Gallen5862
11-21-2012, 05:50 PM
Matt Eddy
@eddymk
#Reds sign 2B Emmanuel Burriss, C Nevin Ashley & RHRP Jeff Stevens to minor league deals.

cinreds21
11-22-2012, 01:10 AM
Former Reds minor leaguer Miguel Rojas has signed with the Los Angeles Dodgers.

texasdave
11-22-2012, 08:40 AM
Dodgers also signed Wilkin Castillo.

mace
11-22-2012, 12:49 PM
Former Reds minor leaguer Miguel Rojas has signed with the Los Angeles Dodgers.

Was he released?

dougdirt
11-22-2012, 03:22 PM
Was he released?

Free Agent.

camisadelgolf
11-22-2012, 09:00 PM
The Reds released Yordanys Perez.

camisadelgolf
11-30-2012, 05:08 AM
The Reds re-signed Wilkin De La Rosa (http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=delaro001wil) to a minor league contract. They also signed Lee Hyde (http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=hyde--001gar) and Jose "Jumbo" Diaz (http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=diaz--007jos) to minor league contracts. One thing I love about Diaz is that he might be the only player to weigh over 300 pounds and steal third base.

camisadelgolf
11-30-2012, 05:15 AM
In ex-Reds organization news, the Angels signed Brandon Hynick and Brendan Harris to minor league contracts.

cinreds21
11-30-2012, 05:21 AM
The Reds re-signed Wilkin De La Rosa (http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=delaro001wil) to a minor league contract. They also signed Lee Hyde (http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=hyde--001gar) and Jose "Jumbo" Diaz (http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=diaz--007jos) to minor league contracts. One thing I love about Diaz is that he might be the only player to weigh over 300 pounds and steal third base.

I think that came at the end of this past season. They played a lot of their players at random positions, including Diaz, who played in the infield I think and ended up with a stolen bag.

camisadelgolf
11-30-2012, 05:36 AM
I think that came at the end of this past season. They played a lot of their players at random positions, including Diaz, who played in the infield I think and ended up with a stolen bag.
Yeah, it was the last game of the season.

texasdave
12-01-2012, 09:49 AM
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/12/reds-non-tender-then-re-sign-phipps-negron.html

Reds non-tender and then resign Phipps and Negron. That opens up a couple of spots on the 40-man roster.

batsfan
12-07-2012, 11:14 AM
The Pirates signed former Reds minor league pitcher Philippe Valiquette to a minor league contract according to baseball America. Valiquette came back late last year to play in AA for Milwaukee, and did not pitch well.

cinreds21
12-07-2012, 05:35 PM
Speaking of Milwaukee, they have signed left-handed pitcher Travis Webb to a minor league contract with an invitation to spring training.

Gallen5862
12-17-2012, 07:28 PM

Blue Jays Acquire R.A. Dickey
By Ben Nicholson-Smith [December 17 at 5:30pm CST]
The Mets have sold high on R.A. Dickey after the 38-year-old knuckleballer's Cy Young season, trading him to the Blue Jays as part of a seven-player deal. Toronto will receive Dickey, Josh Thole and Mike Nickeas in exchange for John Buck and prospects Travis d'Arnaud, Noah Syndergaard and Wuilmer Becerra. As part of the deal, Toronto has also agreed to a three-year extension with Dickey.

Read more at http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/#UAfWXAQyAytqbW0e.99

cinreds21
12-20-2012, 01:33 PM
Reds have re-signed Corky.

Gallen5862
12-20-2012, 02:05 PM

Minor Moves: Adam Greenberg, Corky Miller
By Ben Nicholson-Smith [December 20 at 12:18pm CST]
The latest minor moves from around MLB...

The Orioles agreed to sign Adam Greenberg to a minor league contract, Steve Melewski of MASNsports.com reports (on Twitter). Greenberg's MLB career nearly ended when he was hit on the head with a pitch seven years ago, but the Marlins signed him this past September and he got an official MLB at bat.
The Reds re-signed catcher Corky Miller to a minor league deal that includes an invitation to MLB Spring Training, ESPN.com's Jayson Stark reports (on Twitter). Miller, 36, spent this past season with the Reds' Triple-A team, posting a .235/.386/.354 batting line in 313 plate appearances. He has ten years of MLB experience, but last appeared in the big leagues with the Reds in 2010.

Read more at http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/#24l8FhgAftYL3TGD.99

lollipopcurve
12-22-2012, 08:31 AM
It's great that Corky's back. Having Corcino and Cingrani throwing to him in AAA is a good thing.

camisadelgolf
12-25-2012, 07:15 PM
The Reds release Mitch Clake and Jose Valdelamar.

mace
12-26-2012, 12:20 PM

Mitch Clarke is kind of a stunner. I'd guess it had to do with off-the-field issues.

dougdirt
12-26-2012, 01:59 PM
Mitch Clarke is kind of a stunner. I'd guess it had to do with off-the-field issues.

Yeah, two failed drug tests will get you in hot water.

MikeS21
12-26-2012, 05:04 PM
The Pirates signed former Reds minor league pitcher Philippe Valiquette to a minor league contract according to baseball America. Valiquette came back late last year to play in AA for Milwaukee, and did not pitch well.
lol! As long as he never goes to the Cards. They sign 'em, and the Valiquettes of the world become Cy Young.

klw
12-27-2012, 12:40 PM

Valdelamar hasn't done much since "That 70's Show" went off the air.

JaxRed
12-27-2012, 12:56 PM
He's been harassing that Harry Potter kid a lot.....

batsfan
12-28-2012, 10:11 PM
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/12/minor-moves-torra-costanzo.html

The Nationals have signed corner infielder Mike Costanzo and right-hander Matt Torra to minor league contracts, MLB.com's Bill Ladson reports (via Twitter). Costanzo has a .779 OPS in 3659 minor league plate appearances over eight seasons in the Phillies', Orioles' and Reds' organizations and he made his Major League debut in 2012, receiving 21 PAs with Cincinnati. Torra, 28, was drafted 31st overall by the Diamondbacks in the 2005 amateur draft and has a 4.41 ERA, 5.6 K/9 rate and a 3.08 K/BB ratio in 175 career minor league games (168 of them starts) in the D'Backs' and Rays' systems.
Read more at http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/#gID5Ik2ALDcOd739.99

muddie
12-29-2012, 08:47 AM
i was wondering where Costanzo would end up. i didn't see him coming back to the reds. thanks for the post.

19braves77
12-29-2012, 06:58 PM
His time in P-Cola was brief, but he very outgoing unlike some of the older people in the league. Example: Ryan Garko

19braves77
01-02-2013, 10:05 PM
Reds sign Derrick Robinson, Kevin Whelan, and Jeff Maquez for Organization fodder.

AWA85
01-02-2013, 10:11 PM
I remember watching Robinson come up in the Royals farm system, he could fly! Not Billy Hamilton speed, but definitely will steal some bases.

Scrap Irony
01-02-2013, 10:27 PM
Reds sign Derrick Robinson, Kevin Whelan, and Jeff Maquez for Organization fodder.

Robinson's an intresting sign, but he's another CF on a Louisville team that now has five. Really curious as to why he'd sign with the Reds.

Whelan's a really nice choice. Lots of Ks, still young enough to help the big club (if tons of injuries hit). Might get some saves.

Marquez is a wildcard. He's good one year, then really bad the next. Injury, perhaps? Depth, if anything at all, IMO.

Red Swagger
01-03-2013, 04:41 AM
D Robinson played LF all last year for the AAA Royals, 104 games in LF.. He will occupy the 2 hole in Louisville behind B Hamilton. They want to create as many run scoring chances for N Soto, HRod and Phipps as possible. Whelan is a great signing, adds more bullpen depth. As far as OF that potentially could be in Louisville

B Hamilton
Felix Perez
Puckett
Phipps
D Robinson

The Bats need another C, INF/UTIL, RP and SP to fill the roster. I am sure players like LaMarre, Lotzkar, Lutz, B Greene, Barnhart, Hayes, Ravin and Partch will be in Louisville at some point in 2013

lollipopcurve
01-03-2013, 07:11 AM
At one time the Yankees thought Whelan was close to becoming a solid bullpen arm for them. His minor league numbers seem to bear out that potential. Nice sign.

Doc. Scott
01-04-2013, 02:47 PM
I like Whelan, he's missed a ton of bats. Being a non-big-money prospect in the Yankees system is perhaps the worst situation in baseball to be stuck in as far as getting an opportunity at the highest level.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=whelan001kev

He does appear to have periodic control issues, although it wasn't a problem at AAA Scranton/Wilkes-Barre in 2011 (14 BB, 52.1 IP). Five walks per nine professionally is too many. Still, almost 11 K per nine in 100 AAA appearances as well as over his whole pro career. Originally a fourth-round pick in 2005 by Detroit, went to New York in the Gary Sheffield trade in 2006.

Doc. Scott
01-04-2013, 02:56 PM
Marquez was originally a sandwich pick in 2004 by the Yankees, but went to the White Sox in 2008 in the Nick Swisher trade. He has pretty good control (3.2 BB/9 career) but gives up a boatload of hits (10 per nine career, 11+ per nine in AAA). Until AAA, he was pretty good at keeping the ball in the park, but that ended up being a problem as well (1.2/9, explaining his 5.52 ERA at that level).

Because he's had pretty mediocre to poor results at AAA over the last couple of years, he's bounced around a ton since 2011- first going back to the Yankees on a waiver claim, signing with Seattle for 2012, then going to Colorado after the Mariners released him in July.

My thought is maybe the Reds might have him work out of the bullpen, especially with the Pensacola bubble of starting prospects (Cingrani, Corcino, etc.) along with Todd Redmond and Pedro Villareal still around. Marquez has never had a protracted stint in relief, yet he has something scouts must like (high draft pick, keeps getting jobs despite poor numbers at high levels).

http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=marque002jef

Doc. Scott
01-04-2013, 03:07 PM
The Royals put a lot of time and energy into Derrick Robinson. A fourth-round pick in 2006, Robinson has started pretty consistently all the way up the KC minor-league ladder- playing 54 games in rookie ball, 102 in Low-A, 124 and 128 in two years of High-A, 127 and 107 in two years of Double-A, and 116 in AAA Omaha last year.

The problem is that he hasn't really developed. Blessed with speed that has to be at least a 70 on the scouting scale, Robinson just hasn't really learned how to hit or work the count skillfully enough to make it. He's never managed more than 51 walks, a .380 SLG, or a .286 BA at any point while striking out a minimum of 84 times. And some of these parks he was playing in were very offense-friendly! He does steal a ton of bases, topping fifty four times- and with a pretty solid percentage as well, usually no worse than 75% or so.

But between the lack of development at the plate and a move from playing mostly center in the lower minors to playing mostly left at the higher levels, Robinson doesn't really project as having much upside. He might be able to fill in as a fifth outfielder/pinch-runner at the big-league level for a little while, but God help us if he sees protracted big-league time. In fact, I'd hope that he doesn't start every game in AAA either, as we have lots of other options for the Bats OF (Phipps, Puckett, Perez, LaMarre, Fellhauer) with at least a modicum of upside plus the almighty Mr. Hamilton.

Gallen5862
01-04-2013, 08:36 PM

Yankees Designate Chris Dickerson For Assignment
By Ben Nicholson-Smith [January 4 at 4:07pm CST]
The Yankees have designated outfielder Chris Dickerson for assignment, Chad Jennings of the Journal News reports. The move creates 40-man roster space for Russ Canzler, who was claimed off of waivers from the Indians.

Dickerson appeared in 25 games for the Yankees this past season, playing all three outfield positions. The 30-year-old hit two home runs in his 17 trips to the plate with New York. A left-handed hitter, Dickerson posted a .316/.417/.515 batting line in 321 plate appearances at Triple-A in 2012.

Read more at http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/#K2SK5mvI9WLUGFio.99

texasdave
01-08-2013, 11:38 PM
Jerry Gil has signed with the Indians.

camisadelgolf
01-10-2013, 02:14 PM
The Reds signed Ray Chang (http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=chang-001ray) and Nate Samson (http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=samson001nat) to minor league deals.

Gallen5862
01-10-2013, 07:30 PM
http://www.mlbdailydish.com/2013/1/1...gn-nate-samson

Reds sign Nate Samson

Former Chicago Cubs minor leaguer Nate Samson has signed a minor league deal with the Cincinnati Reds, according to Tim Dierkes of MLB Trade Rumors:
Nate Samson signed a minor league deal with the Reds, MLBTR's Tim Dierkes has learned.
The Cubs selected Samson in the 34th round of the 2006 MLB Draft out of Forest High School in Ocala, Florida. He started his professional career as a shortstop but has since moved all over the diamond.
Last season Samson hit .273/.320/.346 with 13 doubles, two home runs and four stolen bases in five attempts over 260 at-bats between the Cubs’ Double- and Triple-A clubs. The 25-year-old manned first, second and third base, right and left field and acted as the team’s designated hitter last season.
Over seven years in the minors, Samson has hit .264/.331/.330. In parts of four seasons at the Triple-A level he owns a line of .258/.309/.344.

klw
01-11-2013, 12:34 PM
I saw in the paper today that Wirfin Obispo signed with someone- Braves I think.

Quick Google search shows it happened in November but was only in the Caledonian Record today.

camisadelgolf
01-12-2013, 06:43 PM
The Reds signed 19-year-old Slovakian lhp Jakub Izold.

Gallen5862
01-13-2013, 11:54 AM
http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/prospects/2013/01/minor-league-transactions-jan-1-7/

Minor League Transactions: Jan. 1-7

Posted Jan. 10, 2013 3:59 pm by Matt Eddy
Filed under: Transactions

Cincinnati Reds
Signed: LHP Jakub Izold, 3B Ray Chang

camisadelgolf
01-17-2013, 06:56 PM
The Reds signed Greg Reynolds (http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/r/reynogr01.shtml), who was the #2 overall pick in the 2006 amateur draft. He has struggled a bit with injuries in his career and is one of the biggest draft busts in recent memory. Hopefully he can turn things around with the Reds.

dougdirt
01-17-2013, 07:17 PM
I still don't like the idea of calling guys busts who lost talent due to injury. Never quite sat right with me.

mth123
01-17-2013, 08:27 PM
The Reds have enough guys for a whole extra pitching staff from the AAA and AA guys. Lots of guys going to be cut-loose I'd guess.

Gallen5862
01-17-2013, 08:39 PM

Reds, Logan Ondrusek Agree To Deal
By Zach Links [January 17 at 7:21pm CST]
The Reds and Logan Ondrusek have agreed to terms on a two-year deal to avoid arbitration, a source tells Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports (on Twitter). The right-handed reliever is a client of Rich Thompson.

Ondrusek, 28 in February, posted a 3.46 ERA with 6.4 K/9 and 5.1 BB/9 in 63 games last season. This was the reliever's first time entering the arbitration process and it looks like he won't encounter it again until after the 2014 season. Ondrusek is eligible for free agency after the 2016 campaign.

Read more at http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/#ct1IKzJ8U5kHXkyM.99

mace
01-17-2013, 09:43 PM
The Reds signed Greg Reynolds (http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/r/reynogr01.shtml), who was the #2 overall pick in the 2006 amateur draft. He has struggled a bit with injuries in his career and is one of the biggest draft busts in recent memory. Hopefully he can turn things around with the Reds.

Interesting that in seven years in the minors, he has never made a relief appearance. He did, however, with the Rockies.

Along with the Ondrusek deal, the Reds locked up some height today. They do like their tall pitchers.

texasdave
01-17-2013, 10:35 PM
Interesting that in seven years in the minors, he has never made a relief appearance. He did, however, with the Rockies.

Along with the Ondrusek deal, the Reds locked up some height today. They do like their tall pitchers.

From what I have read I wouldn't expect a whole lot out of Reynolds.

http://www.baseball-intellect.com/Articles/most-overrated-pitchers.html
http://www.purplerow.com/2012/1/5/2685851/greg-reynolds-trade-colorado-rockies
http://longlivesheastadium.blogspot.com/2011/04/scouting-report-greg-reynolds.html

Ondrusek's BB/9 is trending the wrong way.

2010 - 3.1
2011 - 4.1
2012 - 5.1

Yikes.

klw
01-30-2013, 02:57 PM
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/01/minor-moves-delcarmen-delaney-pettit-brackman.html

The White Sox signed right-hander Andrew Brackman, Eddy reports (on Twitter). The former first round pick posted a 6.71 ERA with 6.4 K/9 and 6.0 BB/9 in the Reds' minor league system last year.

camisadelgolf
01-30-2013, 03:09 PM
The Reds re-signed Chad Reineke and signed Yohan Pino to minor league contracts.

camisadelgolf
01-30-2013, 03:15 PM
Some transaction news on ex-Reds and ex-Reds draftees:

The Braves signed Eric Pfisterer, who the Reds drafted in the 15th round in 2008 but passed on the signing bonus to go to Duke.

The Cubs signed Darnell McDonald.

The Rockies signed James Skelton.

Also in the 2008 draft, the Reds took Pat White in the 49th round, but he passed to continue playing football at West Virginia. The Royals signed and released him last season, but the Marlins decided he is worth a shot.

The Rangers signed Ryan Feierabend.

camisadelgolf
01-31-2013, 08:04 PM
The Reds signed Shaun Ellis (http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=ellis-001sha) and Matt Mangini (http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/m/mangima01.shtml) to minor league contracts.

For news in players of the Reds' past, the Mets signed Pedro Feliciano, and the Athletics signed both Carlos Fisher and Pedro Viola.

dougdirt
01-31-2013, 08:06 PM
A contact got in touch with me today about Ellis and had this to say: I last saw him a few years ago, but he was able to get it up to about 93 MPH. With that said, his mechanics were a disaster and his control was quite poor.

camisadelgolf
01-31-2013, 08:22 PM
I'm not sure I saw it mentioned elsewhere on the board, but Tim Gustafson signed with the Rockies a while back.

camisadelgolf
02-07-2013, 08:14 AM
P.J. Phillips was re-signed to a minor league contract. I'm sure his brother had nothing to do with it. :ughmamoru:

Gallen5862
02-08-2013, 02:29 PM

Orioles Designate Trayvon Robinson For Assignment

By Ben Nicholson-Smith [February 8 at 1:05pm CST]
The Orioles announced that they designated outfielder Trayvon Robinson for assignment. The move creates roster space for right-hander Todd Redmond, who was claimed off of waivers from the Reds.

The Orioles acquired Robinson from Seattle for Robert Andino this past November. Robinson appeared in 46 games for the Mariners in 2012, posting a .221/.294/.324 batting line in 164 plate appearances as a left fielder. The 25-year-old was initially acquired by the Mariners in the three-team trade with the Red Sox and Dodgers that sent Erik Bedard to Boston.

OGB
02-10-2013, 05:05 AM
P.J. Phillips was re-signed to a minor league contract. I'm sure his brother had nothing to do with it. :ughmamoru:

(cough)
Stephen Larkin
(cough)

OnBaseMachine
02-12-2013, 09:01 PM
From Mark Sheldon:

The Reds announced Tuesday they signed right-handed pitcher Dakota Mitchell from Australia. Mitchell, 18, attended the MLB Australian Academy for the past two years.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130212&content_id=41575412&notebook_id=41576332&vkey=notebook_cin&c_id=cin

camisadelgolf
02-14-2013, 10:52 AM
Former Red, Craig Tatum, is retiring after signing with the Marlins. Pat White hasn't been heard from by the Marlins in a couple months, and there's speculation he's returning to football in the CFL.

muddie
02-16-2013, 10:02 AM
Donnie Joseph sighned a one year deal with Kansas City. I'll always be a fan of his.

camisadelgolf
02-16-2013, 09:58 PM
The Reds re-signed Kanekoa Texeira and Niko Vasquez to minor league contracts.

mth123
02-16-2013, 11:54 PM
The Reds re-signed Kanekoa Texeira and Niko Vasquez to minor league contracts.

Louisville has about 25 pitchers now.

camisadelgolf
02-17-2013, 03:52 AM
Louisville has about 25 pitchers now.
I get the feeling we're going to see a lot of pitchers traded for cash considerations this season.

RED VAN HOT
02-17-2013, 02:04 PM
Maybe the plan is station Hamilton in the center of the diamond and have pitchers man the other spots.

camisadelgolf
02-18-2013, 03:12 PM
Former Louisville Bat Will Ohman signed with the Nationals. Jeremy Hermida signed a minor league contract with the Indians. Drew Benes, a former Reds draft pick who didn't sign, is now with the Rangers.

coachpipe
02-18-2013, 04:06 PM
Former Louisville Bat Will Ohman signed with the Nationals. Jeremy Hermida signed a minor league contract with the Indians. Drew Benes, a former Reds draft pick who didn't sign, is now with the Rangers.

Maybe its just because the Marlins havent been good, but he looked to have some promise while in Florida. When the Reds signed him I envisioned he would get some playing time and that never happened

klw
02-22-2013, 10:07 PM
Matt Maloney signed a minor league deal with the Red Sox.

03-23-2013, 05:23 PM
https://mobile.twitter.com/johnfayman/status/315503254240911361

The #Reds got -- or will get -- a player to be named later for Cody Puckett for the White Sox. #cincienquirer

JayBruceFan
03-24-2013, 08:29 PM
RHP Justice French was released within the past day or so, if not today.

Really sad and surprised to see him go, especially considering how fast he moved last season before the injury. He was a cool dude and a great ballplayer. Hope he catches on somewhere else

batsfan
03-25-2013, 03:34 PM
http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/prospects/2013/03/minor-league-transactions-march-14-20-2/:

Cincinnati Reds
Released: RHP Ryan Fennell, RHP Cole Green, RHP Erik Miller, 1B Robert Maddox, OF Matt Lentz, OF Andrew Means

A little surprised to see Maddox and Means released.

Pittsburgh Pirates
Signed: 3B Jolbert Cabrera (Puebla (Mexican))

Yes, the now 40 year old brother of Orlando Cabrera who played with the Reds in 2008.

camisadelgolf
03-25-2013, 03:48 PM
The following players have been released:
Ryan Fennell
Justice French
Cole Green
Erik Miller
Robert Maddox
Matt Lentz
Andrew Means

Also, the Reds signed Jason Kilby, a 21-year-old Australian pitcher.

redsmetz
03-26-2013, 10:50 AM
Also, the Reds signed Jason Kilby, a 21-year-old Australian pitcher.

Playing in the states this summer? Any idea where he's been before this? [edit: I see he's been with Brisbane for the last two seasons, albeit with no stats showing for last season]

texasdave
03-26-2013, 11:41 AM
Playing in the states this summer? Any idea where he's been before this? [edit: I see he's been with Brisbane for the last two seasons, albeit with no stats showing for last season]

Jason Kilby records the final three outs in the 2009 AAA National Championships to complete the win for Queensland

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjtFSQL6vq0

An article on Kilby.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/questnews/north/pine-hills-baseballer-jason-kilby-signs-with-cincinnati-reds/story-fn8odvfn-1226598468370

texasdave
03-27-2013, 07:47 PM
Konrad Schmidt must be in the Reds' organization now. He got an AB in today's game. He was in the Ranger's camp earlier this spring. An article stated that Scmidt was released four days ago by the Rangers. Maybe Olivo is moving on.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=schmid001kon

From Baseball America:

Konrad Schmidt, c. Diamondbacks

Born: Aug. 2, 1984. B-T: R-R. Ht.: 6-0. Wt.: 225. Drafted.: Nevada-Reno, NDFA 2007. Signed by: Jim Dedrick.

Since signing out of Nevada-Reno as an undrafted free agent in 2007, Schmidt has progressed from an organizational soldier into a prospect with a chance at a major league career as a backup catcher. He had a strong year at Double-A Mobile in 2010, batting .315/.373/.490, before getting rewarded with a late season call-up to the big leagues. Schmidt has an aggressive, early-in-the-count approach but avoids the usual peaks and valleys associated with those types of hitters. He hits the ball line to line and has fringy power. Schmidt's defense has improved considerably in pro ball, especially his receiving, and he's now a plus catcher. He has strong hands and solid arm strength, and he threw out 26 percent of basestealers last year. He's a well below-average runner. A gamer who gets the most out of his ability, Schmidt will battle John Hester for Arizona's backup job behind Miguel Montero.

Corky Miller junior.

redsmetz
03-28-2013, 11:34 AM
Konrad Schmidt must be in the Reds' organization now. He got an AB in today's game. He was in the Ranger's camp earlier this spring. An article stated that Scmidt was released four days ago by the Rangers. Maybe Olivo is moving on.

Corky Miller junior.

As you suspected, it was reported yesterday that Olivo refused the bonus and was released. MLBTradeRumors reports that he's likely heading back to Miami.

klw
03-28-2013, 12:26 PM

http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=schmid001kon

From Baseball America:

Corky Miller junior.

With the 'stache to boot.
http://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=/i/headshots/mlb/players/full/30484.png&w=350&h=254

He shoots a bow and arrow in the OF before games.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AkLVWEEUS0

marcshoe
03-28-2013, 01:03 PM
With the 'stache to boot.
http://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=/i/headshots/mlb/players/full/30484.png&w=350&h=254

He shoots a bow and arrow in the OF before games.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AkLVWEEUS0

Corky says that's not a 'stache.

http://www4.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Corky+Miller+Cincinnati+Reds+Photo+Day+eIYAgrUN5gN l.jpg

getfoul
03-28-2013, 05:59 PM
https://mobile.twitter.com/johnfayman/status/315503254240911361

Reds are getting this guy...

http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=silver002jua

dougdirt
03-28-2013, 06:30 PM
Reds are getting this guy...

http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=silver002jua

Source?

texasdave
03-29-2013, 10:23 AM
Source?

That seems to be the thinking on this White Sox board. FWIW.

http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=88183&pid=2774532&st=0&#entry2774532

getfoul
03-30-2013, 09:46 AM
The Puckett deal was separate from Silverio.

But the Reds did get Silverio from the White Sox.

texasdave
03-30-2013, 10:53 AM
New York Mets release Corey Patterson and Daniel Herrera.

OnBaseMachine
04-03-2013, 12:52 PM
From Jamie Ramsey:

Recent #Reds minor league releases include: French, Gerson, O'Rear, Stevens, Wrenn, Mangini, Muller, Samson, Serrano, Wolford.

https://twitter.com/Jamieblog

klw
04-03-2013, 02:18 PM
From Jamie Ramsey:

Recent #Reds minor league releases include: French, Gerson, O'Rear, Stevens, Wrenn, Mangini, Muller, Samson, Serrano, Wolford.

https://twitter.com/Jamieblog

I am surprised to see O'Rear on the list. Didn't he appear in one of the last spring training games? I wonder if he asked for the release or is looking to go overseas, etc.

JaxRed
04-03-2013, 03:30 PM
I am surprised to see O'Rear on the list. Didn't he appear in one of the last spring training games? I wonder if he asked for the release or is looking to go overseas, etc.

I would have been stunned to NOT see O'Rear. He has been terrible whenever he pitched

dougdirt
04-03-2013, 04:50 PM

Given how he performed here, I doubt any teams from overseas came calling.

klw
04-03-2013, 05:01 PM
Given how he performed here, I doubt any teams from overseas came calling.

No calls from the Uzbekistan Semi-Pro League?

Obviously I must admit I had not been following the work of Mr. O'Rear that closely. I was surprised because I thought I saw his name in a box score last week but I am probably wrong because I also had it in my head that he was a catcher. Oops :eek:

nemesis
04-04-2013, 01:17 PM
Serrano surprises me though. Has had decent #'s throughout. Seemed like a good organizational swing guy who could be a emergency 40 man fill in.

texasdave
04-04-2013, 02:15 PM
Wolford as well. Career K/9 of 10.0.

19braves77
04-06-2013, 01:31 AM
Mark Fluery was not unemployed very long. He is playing for the Arkansas Naturals now.

wastedtime
07-03-2013, 08:02 AM
Did anyone ever figure out who the PTBNL was in the Cody Puckett trade?

JayBruceFan
07-04-2013, 01:17 AM
Wasn't it Juan Silverio? Or did he come over in a different deal?

wastedtime
07-04-2013, 01:31 AM
Wasn't it Juan Silverio? Or did he come over in a different deal?

Yes, Silverio was signed as a minor league free agent. He couldn't have been the PTBNL

texasdave
07-04-2013, 10:38 AM
Cody Puckett was actually traded for a PTBNMMML.

Player to be named much much much later. :)

texasdave
07-04-2013, 10:40 AM
PTBNL. I don't think it has been six months yet. So, perhaps noone as of yet. Also, there is a chance that Puckett will be moved for the ubiquitous journeyman - Pile O'Cash.

The "player to be named later" (PTBNL) is generally used to postpone a trade's final conditions or terms. This is often done for two reasons. First, the team receiving the PTBNL might not be certain which position they want to fill, so this type of deal gives them more time to figure it out. Second, this type of arrangement gives the team receiving the PTBNL more time to evaluate the available talent on the other team. The deal must close within six months of the conclusion of the rest of the trade.When a PTBNL transaction occurs, the negotiating teams usually agree on a list of five to 10 players that the PTBNL will ultimately be chosen from. If the teams can't agree on who the player will be, then they will agree on a price to be paid instead of a player.

mth123
07-04-2013, 12:14 PM
What could they possibly get that would be worth having? It would just be some journeyman suspect to take PT away from the guys we want to develop. The Reds need to cut loose a few guys like that, not add more. Take the cash, even if it's only a few thousand dollars.

dougdirt
07-04-2013, 12:26 PM
What could they possibly get that would be worth having? It would just be some journeyman suspect to take PT away from the guys we want to develop. The Reds need to cut loose a few guys like that, not add more. Take the cash, even if it's only a few thousand dollars.

The Reds want them to develop too. But you still need 24 or 25 guys on a roster that can actually play at a given level too. Journeymen serve a purpose at all levels.

kaldaniels
07-04-2013, 12:35 PM
PTBNL. I don't think it has been six months yet. So, perhaps noone as of yet. Also, there is a chance that Puckett will be moved for the ubiquitous journeyman - Pile O'Cash.

Is the PTBNL list iron-clad once the trade is finalized? I assume it would be.

mth123
07-04-2013, 12:42 PM
The Reds want them to develop too. But you still need 24 or 25 guys on a roster that can actually play at a given level too. Journeymen serve a purpose at all levels.

Do you see a need for a Journeyman to take a spot at any level right now?

dougdirt
07-04-2013, 01:25 PM
Do you see a need for a Journeyman to take a spot at any level right now?

Without looking, absolutely. Someone is bound to be injured in the next two weeks somewhere.

wastedtime
07-04-2013, 02:28 PM

I was wondering what the time limit was. Thanks for that information. I also didn't know cash considerations could be accepted unless it was mentioned in the trade terms. I learn something everyday LOL

wastedtime
07-04-2013, 02:30 PM

I wasn't really expecting much in return. The subject just came up elsewhere. So, I got curious.

mth123
07-04-2013, 03:59 PM
Without looking, absolutely. Someone is bound to be injured in the next two weeks somewhere.

Why not just promote guys? Plenty of guys who at least have a hint of future. I'd use them.

dougdirt
07-04-2013, 04:01 PM
Why not just promote guys? Plenty of guys who at least have a hint of future. I'd use them.

Because often times there aren't enough guys who are ready for that next level.

Let's look at third base right now in the system. What happens is Travis Mattair goes down? You can't promote Vidal. But even if you could, you can't promote Rahier or Mejias-Brean. Perfect scenario to bring on a journeyman.

mth123
07-04-2013, 04:52 PM
Because often times there aren't enough guys who are ready for that next level.

Let's look at third base right now in the system. What happens is Travis Mattair goes down? You can't promote Vidal. But even if you could, you can't promote Rahier or Mejias-Brean. Perfect scenario to bring on a journeyman.

Promote Wright or Silverio and let Brodie Green play 3B. He needs versatility to have a chance at any value anyway. Otherwise Ray Chang is already on hand. There are already enough vets to fill in. The promotion wouldn't always need to be at the same exact position.

dougdirt
07-04-2013, 04:55 PM
Promote Wright or Silverio and let Brodie Green play 3B. He needs versatility to have a chance at any value anyway. Otherwise Ray Chang is already on hand. There are already enough vets to fill in. The promotion wouldn't always need to be at the same exact position.

Aren't Brodie Greene and Ray Chang exactly the kind of player you don't want playing though? I mean are either of those guys anything but journeymen at this point? I mean yeah, Brodie Greene was drafted by the Reds and hasn't been around forever, but he is a 25 year old in AA with a career OPS of .614 at the level over parts of three seasons.

If you promote Wright or Silverio, who takes their place? No one in the Dayton infield right now should be promoted.

mth123
07-04-2013, 05:01 PM
Aren't Brodie Greene and Ray Chang exactly the kind of player you don't want playing though? I mean are either of those guys anything but journeymen at this point? I mean yeah, Brodie Greene was drafted by the Reds and hasn't been around forever, but he is a 25 year old in AA with a career OPS of .614 at the level over parts of three seasons.

If you promote Wright or Silverio, who takes their place? No one in the Dayton infield right now should be promoted.

They are. That's the point. We don't need more guys like them as a PTBNL. Right now Silverio, Wright and Perez are splitting two spots. Promoting one wouldn't be the worst thing. At A+, if Vincej isn't ready, then a utility guy like Peterson would be fine to move up as a reserve.

dougdirt
07-04-2013, 05:04 PM
They are. That's the point. We don't need more guys like them as a PTBNL. Right now Silverio, Wright and Perez are splitting two spots. Promoting one wouldn't be the worst thing. At A+, if Vincej isn't ready, then a utility guy like Peterson would be fine to move up as a reserve.

Vincej is on the DL, so he isn't ready.

But my point is that you always need journeymen type somewhere in the system.

mth123
07-04-2013, 05:23 PM
Vincej is on the DL, so he isn't ready.

But my point is that you always need journeymen type somewhere in the system.

Sure and my point is that they already have more than enough and don't need another as a PTBNL.