PDA

View Full Version : Rule V draft thread

redsof72
11-06-2012, 04:28 PM
With six players entering free agency (Ludwick, Navarro, Cairo, Broxton, Rolen, Madson) and Lance reporting that Bray will be non-tendered, the roster is down to 34. Not a lot of candidates for those spots, though they may keep two, maybe three open for free agent signings.

Here are some candidates. Daniel Corcino is the one lock. The next best player in 2012 on the list is Fellhauer. I think this year, it will be heavy on a) follow the money (as in signing bonus investment); b) projectability rather than past performance.

Duran does not have any business being on the 40-man, but see a) above, so I think he goes on there. Yorman too. This is mostly political (ie: if you leave them off, you are saying something that your boss, who spent the money, does not want to hear). You probably let them prove they can't play before you make that admission. Has VERY LITTLE to do with whether anyone thinks they would get taken by another club in the Rule V. Anyone who does not think politics and money factor into minor league player decisions, see Junior Arias at third base in Dayton all of 2012.

So I am going to say Corcino, Yorman, Duran, and either Partch, Crabbe, or Guillon. I don't have a feel for Fellhauer either way. Ravin would be a wildcard. Pearl would have been on there based on his 2012 first half and he has a projectable arm, but an injury risk. Partch has always been the tease with a great arm, no productivity. In a different year, no room, but this year, maybe. Crabbe is a similar case, as is Ravin for that matter. Guillon does not have the arm of the others but is much younger and had a great 2012. Still, pitchers who throw 88-89 and have very little experience above Rookie-ball rarely are protected, but it has happened.

Corcino
Y. Rodriguez
Duran
Guillon
Fellhauer
Partch
Ravin
Crabbe
Pearl
Christiani
Bowe
Freeman
Puckett
Means
Howell
Mattair

Lets follow up a bit on the money given to Y-Rod and Duran. Keep in mind that the amount given to Y-Rod, $2.5 million, is tied for the second largest in the history of the franchise behind only Chapman, who was a special case. More than first round picks. Duran is right behind at $2 million. So even though those players have huge issues, the investment the Reds made in them in 2008 likely is still "live." You give that kind of money, you are committing to the player until the player completely fails. I could be wrong and they could be left off, but I will be surprised if it happens. Shocked actually.

cinreds21
11-06-2012, 04:36 PM
Daniel Corcino...

cinreds21
11-06-2012, 04:37 PM
And Ismael Guillon.

redsof72
11-06-2012, 04:42 PM
Yes, my bad, I missed those two somehow. Ok, Corcino is a 100 percent lock obviously. Guillon, not sure. I amended my original post. Thanks for pointing those two out. My mistake.

Superdude
11-06-2012, 04:46 PM
And Ismael Guillon.

Big one there. That's a high upside arm I'd hate to lose.

dougdirt
11-06-2012, 04:58 PM
Guillon fits the profile of a guy who would be selected if unprotected. High upside. Lefty. Can throw hard. Already has three pitches he can throw, two of which are above-average. That is a guy you can hide in your bullpen.

lollipopcurve
11-06-2012, 06:08 PM
Corcino is a lock, of course. I don't think Duran gets protected. I think Yorman does. Leaving Guillon off would be risky. I expect Partch to be protected, maybe Crabbe too. I doubt Ravin will be.

I hope they protect Fellhauer, but a guy like Bowe, who can steal bases, is just as likely, if not more so, to be taken by someone.

camisadelgolf
11-06-2012, 07:16 PM
Here is the full list of eligible players:
Jesus Adames
Junior Arias
Theo Bowe
Nick Christiani
Carlos Contreras
Dan Corcino
Jonathan Correa
Tim Crabbe
Juan Duran
Wilfrel Estevez
Josh Fellhauer
Mark Fleury
Justin Freeman
Stalin Gerson
Yovan Gonzalez
Ismael Guillon
Blaine Howell
Travis Mattair
Andrew Means
Beau Mills
Curt Partch
Brian Pearl
Cody Puckett
Radhames Quezada
Yorman Rodriguez
Mark Serrano
Jefry Sierra
Danny Vicioso
Jamie Walczak

icehole3
11-07-2012, 06:14 PM
I would leave Duran off

redsof72
11-08-2012, 04:39 PM
I would leave Duran off too but I will be surprised if the Reds do.

One more darkhorse to consider: Carlos Contreras. Had an excellent year, throws consistent 94-95, big league arm, improving at a rapid rate. He will be considered strongly. Not many pitchers in the org with better arms.

Bowe...there will be some differing opinions. I just don't see him going higher than Double-A. Honestly, I believe if you gave Bowe and Kurtis Muller the exact same opportunity over a large sample size, Muller would do more, and Muller is going to need a break just to stick around next year with all the outfielders coming.

cinreds21
11-08-2012, 04:56 PM
I predicted on another thread but I'll put it here too:

Daniel Corcino
Ismael Guillon
Yorman Rodriguez
Josh Fellhauer
Nick Christiani

mth123
11-08-2012, 08:23 PM
I figure they'll leave some spots open. One for a Broxton/Madson/etc reliever, One for Ludwick and maybe one for Rolen. I'm guessing Corcino, Yorman and that's all.

Gallen5862
11-08-2012, 09:27 PM
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

Minor Moves: Bray, Valdez, Rondon, Hernandez
By Mark Polishuk [November 8 at 4:38pm CST]
Here are a few of the day's minor transactions...

Left-hander Bill Bray and infielder Wilson Valdez have elected to become free agents, according to MLB.com's transactions page. With Valdez entering his second year of arbitration-eligibility and Bray his third, both players were seen as non-tender candidates by MLBTR's Tim Dierkes following their disappointing seasons for the Reds. Valdez, 34, posted a .463 OPS in 208 plate appearances as a backup infielder. Bray was limited to just 14 games due to groin and back injuries, but he'll surely draw interest from teams looking for lefty relief help; Bray posted a 2.98 ERA and recorded 44 strikeouts over 48 1/3 innings for Cincinnati in 2011.

Gallen5862
11-08-2012, 09:29 PM
The non-tendering of Wilson Valdez makes it 33 players on the 40 man roster. Travis Mattair being assigned to Arizona fall League makes him a canidate to be added to the 40 man roster.

HokieRed
11-08-2012, 10:14 PM
The non-tendering of Wilson Valdez makes it 33 players on the 40 man roster. Travis Mattair being assigned to Arizona fall League makes him a canidate to be added to the 40 man roster.

The non-tendering of Valdez leads to an interesting question re another potential spot on that roster, the one currently being held by Kris Negron. If it came down to Fellhauer or Negron, which would you give a spot to?--or, with Valdez gone, do you have to keep Negron on as your backup SS until you make a signing to replace Valdez?--assuming Didi needs more time in L'ville, as I think Jocketty's history suggests he will decide.

cinreds21
11-09-2012, 04:16 AM
Well, in theory, Negron is more valuable. He can play short, second and the outfield and has above-average defense. Fellhauer can play all three outfield spots, but Negron has the possibility of being a utility player in the future. That being said, I would not be surprised if Negs was taken off the roster, but I was just answering your question. If it came down to it and someone had to be removed, my first guess would be Redmond. Then go from there.

redsof72
11-09-2012, 09:41 AM
Negron coming off a major injury...not sure of his progress...that could factor in. Negron is basically there to fill one role, the role he filled in 2012. He is a short-term emergency call-up who can play multiple positions well enough to put him on the field in the big leagues at any of them when you have some guys banged up. His value is his defensive versatility in a short-term situation. I don't think he would be looked at as a back-up for Cozart. They will re-sign Valdez or someone else.

Hard to compare to Fellhauer, whose primary role would be left-handed bat off the bench and utility outfielder. I like Fellhauer a little more than most but I am not sure they see a role for him. He is not real fast and won't hit many homers, but he is a good pure hitter, smart, can play all three outfield positions. Left-handed hitting Chris Denorfia or Brady Clark. I once asked Fellhauer who he thought he compared to and he told me the coach at CS Fullerton told him he was Mark Kotsay.

cinreds21
11-09-2012, 04:13 PM
Negron should be ready for Spring Training.

Gallen5862
11-19-2012, 08:30 PM
I wonder if the Reds are looking at the Rule V draft as a chance to fill some of the roster needs? What Pitchers or hitters could be stashed on the roster for a year? I could see a pitcher or two being stashed in the bullpen. I could also see the possibility of either a catcher or a infielder or outfielder being used as a pinch hitter or utility man. What does anyone think?

dougdirt
11-19-2012, 08:46 PM
I think the Reds have enough of their own talent to protect to try and hide someone else's players on the roster.

The roster is at 33 right now. I would protect Guillon, Corcino, Partch, Ravin and as redsof72 said, I can't see YRod not being protected. So that leaves us at 38 on the 40 man before we even test free agency.

dougdirt
11-20-2012, 01:10 AM
One guy missing from the list that I didn't notice until tonight is Carlos Contreras. I could see him being protected.

lollipopcurve
11-20-2012, 07:04 AM
Crabbe has to be in the mix. Between him, Partch and Ravin, I have to think there's at least one guy the Reds feel can provide some legitimate BP depth in 2013. Ravin's high octane fastball is hard to dismiss, even though he's had almost no sustained success in his entire pro career.

JaxRed
11-20-2012, 08:28 AM
I don't think they'd even think about Crabbe. Very mundane numbers and very average arm. Partch and Ravin might be. Partch looks like he could be a ftuture bullpen arm and Ravin has a big arm.

lollipopcurve
11-20-2012, 08:38 AM
I don't think they'd even think about Crabbe. Very mundane numbers and very average arm.

The story has shifted a little on Crabbe. He used to have a mid 90s fastball and very good slider. His stuff may have slipped, or he just conserves it some in order to gain a little command and log innings. I believe he struck out 150+ this season -- that's not the product of an average arm.

Chip R
11-20-2012, 08:58 AM
http://www.foxsportsohio.com/11/20/12/Reds-add-6-players-to-current-40-man-ros/landing_blog.html?blockID=823051&feedID=10938

JaxRed
11-20-2012, 09:55 AM
Chip's link has the names. (that was quick)

RHP Carlos Contreras from Class-A Bakersfield.
RHP Daniel Corcino from Double-A Pensacola.
LHP Ismael Guillon from Class-A Dayton.
RHP Curtis Partch from Double-A Pensacola.
RHP Josh Ravin from Double-A Pensacola.
OF Yorman Rodriguez from Class-A Dayton.

_Sir_Charles_
11-20-2012, 10:53 AM
Well, it looks like this is who's left vulnerable. Certainly a few names that could be in jeopardy.

Jesus Adames
Junior Arias
Theo Bowe
Nick Christiani
Jonathan Correa
Tim Crabbe
Juan Duran
Wilfrel Estevez
Josh Fellhauer
Mark Fleury
Justin Freeman
Stalin Gerson
Yovan Gonzalez
Blaine Howell
Travis Mattair
Andrew Means
Beau Mills
Brian Pearl
Cody Puckett
Radhames Quezada
Mark Serrano
Jefry Sierra
Danny Vicioso
Jamie Walczak

Gallen5862
11-20-2012, 11:53 AM
Who might the Reds be interested in claiming from other teams in the Rule V draft?

lollipopcurve
11-20-2012, 12:00 PM
I like the group they protected. Some higher ceiling guys there. Will be fun to see how they audition in the spring.

camisadelgolf
11-20-2012, 12:18 PM
Well, it looks like this is who's left vulnerable. Certainly a few names that could be in jeopardy.

Jesus Adames
Junior Arias
Theo Bowe
Nick Christiani
Jonathan Correa
Tim Crabbe
Juan Duran
Wilfrel Estevez
Josh Fellhauer
Mark Fleury
Justin Freeman
Stalin Gerson
Yovan Gonzalez
Mike Hessman
Blaine Howell
Travis Mattair
Andrew Means
Beau Mills
Brian Pearl
Cody Puckett
Radhames Quezada
Mark Serrano
Jefry Sierra
Marquez Smith
Danny Vicioso
Jamie Walczak
I added a couple recent signees to the list.

klw
11-20-2012, 12:23 PM
One guy missing from the list that I didn't notice until tonight is Carlos Contreras. I could see him being protected.

I am not familiar with Mr. Contreras. Can someone give a quick primer about him?

dougdirt
11-20-2012, 12:34 PM
Mid 90's fastball. 93-96, has gone as high as 98. Above average change up.

dougdirt
11-20-2012, 12:36 PM
The story has shifted a little on Crabbe. He used to have a mid 90s fastball and very good slider. His stuff may have slipped, or he just conserves it some in order to gain a little command and log innings. I believe he struck out 150+ this season -- that's not the product of an average arm.

Fastball velo is down this year. Not sure if it is, as you said, that he is conserving some as a starter or to command better, but he is mostly 90-92 these days.

Scrap Irony
11-20-2012, 12:46 PM
Who might the Reds be interested in claiming from other teams in the Rule V draft?

Talk is that Michel Ynoa may not be protected. I'd snag him as a long man out of the pen. Perhaps Price can teach him some control, as he did with Chapman, Simon (but has been unable to with Arredondo).

mbgrayson
11-20-2012, 03:41 PM
Per Mark Sheldon: Six added to 40 man: HERE (http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20121120&content_id=40372356&vkey=news_cin&c_id=cin).

Right-handed starting pitcher Daniel Corcino (No. 4) and outfielder Yorman Rodriguez (No. 19). Also protected were right-handed pitchers Carlos Contreras, Curtis Partch and Josh Ravin and left-handed starter Ismael Guillon.

cinreds21
11-20-2012, 03:54 PM
JC Sulbaran was not added today by Kansas City. Interesting.

klw
11-20-2012, 04:01 PM

But Donnie Joseph was.

camisadelgolf
11-20-2012, 04:02 PM
The Reds added him to the 40-man roster, so it would've been redundant.

Gallen5862
11-20-2012, 04:43 PM
Bob Dutton @Royals_Report #Royals designate RHPs Mazzaro & Volstad, LHP Verdugo, C’s Moore and Pena, 1B C. Robinson & OF D. Robinson. 40-man roster at 40.

Bob Dutton @Royals_Report
#Royals select contracts of LHPs Dwyer, Joseph, Lamb, Marks & Montgomery & RHP Gutierrez.

Gallen5862
11-20-2012, 04:43 PM
Should the Reds consider claiming Volstad?

camisadelgolf
11-20-2012, 05:55 PM
Should the Reds consider claiming Volstad?
Claiming him would mean he's on a major league contract and making at least $2,389,500. If anyone's interested in him, they're going to try to sign him as a free agent, probably on a minor league contract.

Superdude
11-20-2012, 07:24 PM
Pretty much the only guys I would've lost any sleep over got protected, so that's good. Would've hated watching Guillon get plucked.

cinreds21
11-20-2012, 07:30 PM
Volstad, at this point, is not any better than what the Reds have right now. He's worse than Leake, Bailey or Arroyo on a bad day.

Gallen5862
11-20-2012, 07:33 PM
Thanks everyone.

corkedbat
11-20-2012, 09:16 PM
Duran or Feldhauer would have been next on my list, but won't lose sleep over the loss of either.

The DARK
11-21-2012, 01:35 AM
I like the group they protected. Some higher ceiling guys there. Will be fun to see how they audition in the spring.

Usually seems to be the rule of thumb; guys in the upper minors with good stuff and poor results get selected over the low-upside guys who put up regular numbers.

Doug, is Contreras a prospect at all? Seems like he put together a pretty solid season and cut down on the walks, and the stuff that you described sounds like something that could earn him a major league relief job.

dougdirt
11-21-2012, 03:21 AM
Usually seems to be the rule of thumb; guys in the upper minors with good stuff and poor results get selected over the low-upside guys who put up regular numbers.

Doug, is Contreras a prospect at all? Seems like he put together a pretty solid season and cut down on the walks, and the stuff that you described sounds like something that could earn him a major league relief job.

He is a prospect. I would like to see him scrap his curveball and focus more on FB/CH though. Every now and again he can snap off a decent curveball, but more often it is loopy.

TracyJonesFan
11-21-2012, 10:00 AM
Did anyone else see that Zach Stewart was left off the 40 man roster in Boston? I heard somewhere he was going to win the Cy Young Award somewhere down the line - ;) - Just teasing

camisadelgolf
11-21-2012, 10:24 AM
Did anyone else see that Zach Stewart was left off the 40 man roster in Boston? I heard somewhere he was going to win the Cy Young Award somewhere down the line - ;) - Just teasing
. . . and Scott Rolen seems to be retiring while the Reds have only two division titles since the trade. FIRE WALT, HIRE WADE

RED VAN HOT
11-21-2012, 01:22 PM
I think that the protected player choices follow the trend in baseball toward filling the pen with guys who can throw 95+ for an inning, thereby further shortening the game to six innings. Nothing in the minor league stats of Partch, Ravin, or Contreras suggests that they would be selected in rule 5. Lately, however, teams in a building mode are likely to incur the penalty of carrying a still raw, slightly strike challenged pitcher for a year in the pen in order to reap the benefits of a big arm farther down the road. As few as five years ago, these choices would have shocked this board. Now, they seem to be universally accepted.

It would not surprise me if the Reds selected a bullpen arm in Rule 5 to fill out the 40.

dougdirt
11-21-2012, 01:35 PM
I think that the protected player choices follow the trend in baseball toward filling the pen with guys who can throw 95+ for an inning, thereby further shortening the game to six innings. Nothing in the minor league stats of Partch, Ravin, or Contreras suggests that they would be selected in rule 5. Lately, however, teams in a building mode are likely to incur the penalty of carrying a still raw, slightly strike challenged pitcher for a year in the pen in order to reap the benefits of a big arm farther down the road. As few as five years ago, these choices would have shocked this board. Now, they seem to be universally accepted.

It would not surprise me if the Reds selected a bullpen arm in Rule 5 to fill out the 40.

I would be shocked to see the Reds select someone. That would fill up the 40 man roster. And while they could always just drop a Negron or a Phipps, why haven't they already if that was the plan?

RED VAN HOT
11-21-2012, 02:13 PM
I would be shocked to see the Reds select someone. That would fill up the 40 man roster. And while they could always just drop a Negron or a Phipps, why haven't they already if that was the plan?

Why would they have dropped these players in anticipation of signing a free agent? Why not wait until you have signed the free agent(s) first? I don't really expect the Reds to select someone in Rule 5, but I do believe that they have left themselves the option of doing so. Recall that most of us were surprised when Walt picked up Simon last year. He was not Rule 5, but he was a DFA because he had no options left.

I expect the Reds to attempt to sign one of Ludwick/Victorino and two of Madson, Broxton, Soria. At that time roster moves will be required. (Not sure what the rules are with respect to putting Soria on the 60 DL if they signed him.) Nor is it clear to me that they can be successful in these free agent pursuits given budgetary constraints. It makes sense to me to leave a Rule 5 selection open as an option.

mdccclxix
12-02-2012, 01:12 PM
One exec tells Morosi (via Twitter) that this year's Rule 5 draft class is one of the best that he has seen. The draft will take place on Thursday.
Read more at http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/#P53u0PrjUOBjPoB0.99

Thought I'd post this here instead of a new thread.

Gallen5862
12-04-2012, 11:09 PM
http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/prospects/watch/y2012/#list=rule5

Jefry Marte
Position: 3B
Bats: R, Throws: R
Height: 6' 1", Weight: 187
Signed: July 2, 2007 - NYM
Marte was once a highly-regarded prospect in the Mets system. Struggles in A-ball caused his star to fade, with a trip to the 2011 Futures Game the one exception. But a strong AFL campaign in 2011 led to a solid 2012 season in Double-A, where he showed a better approach at the plate and flashes of the tools that got people excited about him in the first place, especially against left-handed pitching (.336/.390/.560), and he finished the season No. 14 on the Mets' Top 20. He's almost exclusively been a third baseman, but if he can show some versatility, his bat could find a way to a big league roster.

Gallen5862
12-04-2012, 11:11 PM
Would Marte or OF Destin Hood be players the Reds should consider in the Rule V draft? their are also a lot of interesting pitchers available as well. Here is another interesting name to consider.

Blake Smith
ETA: 2013
Position: OF
Bats: L, Throws: R
Height: 6' 2", Weight: 225
Drafted: 2009, 2nd (56) - LAD
A sports hernia kept him off the field for a chunk of the 2011 season, but when he was on, he started to put his considerable offensive tools to good use. Smith has above-average raw power from the left side of the plate, and although he may never hit for a high average, he did cut down his strikeout rate last year. He still has the chance to be a good power-hitting right fielder at the highest level, though he’ll have to show he can do it at the upper levels first. A two-way player in his college days, he could always head back to the mound if all else fails.
Other Lists: Top 10 Dodgers Prospects (#16)

Gallen5862
12-04-2012, 11:18 PM
This thread can be used to discuss Rule V draft posabilities and to report on the actual Rule V draft results as well.

dougdirt
12-04-2012, 11:51 PM
I don't have any specific names, but I would like to see the Reds select someone to compete for the backup infield job. Right now, our backup infield options are terrible (assuming we keep Gregorius and HRod in the minors).

LoganBuck
12-05-2012, 08:04 AM
John Fay was on with Mo Egger yesterday, suggesting that the Reds are looking for a backup infielder, or a LOOGY in the Rule V draft. Who are the names to be watching for?

Gallen5862
12-05-2012, 12:28 PM

Destin Hood ETA: 2013Position: OFAge: 22, DOB: 04/03/1990Bats: R, Throws: RHeight: 6' 1", Weight: 225Drafted: 2008, 2nd (55) - WSHThe Nationals hoped the toolsy Hood really started to figure some things out in 2011. His potential started turning into power and speed, and he produced more consistently. Unfortunately, 2012 was somewhat stunted by injuries, and Hood missed time with a wrist injury and a groin injury in June and August. He has above-average speed and raw power and could be a 20-20-type guy when all is said and done. He should be just fine in a corner outfield spot, but it’s his offensive potential that should continue to have Washington excited as he progresses.
Other Lists: Top 10 Nationals Prospects (#8)

Gallen5862
12-05-2012, 12:30 PM

Jon Keck Position: LHPAge: 24, DOB: 06/18/1988Bats: L, Throws: LHeight: 6' 6", Weight: 215Drafted: 2009, 42nd (1262) - KCLeft-handers are always at a premium and they tend to be quite popular come Rule 5 time. When one throws mid-90s fastballs in the Arizona Fall League, they tend to pop up in conversations. He'll throw a slider and curve, with the slider being better breaking choice. His command has been spotty at best, but he goes right after hitters. With his size and a potential two-pitch power repertoire, he does have the chance to be a good left-handed reliever at the big league level.

LoganBuck
12-05-2012, 01:51 PM

Jon Keck Position: LHPAge: 24, DOB: 06/18/1988Bats: L, Throws: LHeight: 6' 6", Weight: 215Drafted: 2009, 42nd (1262) - KCLeft-handers are always at a premium and they tend to be quite popular come Rule 5 time. When one throws mid-90s fastballs in the Arizona Fall League, they tend to pop up in conversations. He'll throw a slider and curve, with the slider being better breaking choice. His command has been spotty at best, but he goes right after hitters. With his size and a potential two-pitch power repertoire, he does have the chance to be a good left-handed reliever at the big league level.

Keck does look interesting, Braulio Lara is another to keep an eye on. Walt needs a second lefty for the bullpen, and here are two budget minded lottery tickets.

dougdirt
12-05-2012, 02:30 PM
Cole Figueroa is the guy I would love to see the Reds pick up - http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=figuer002ste

Gallen5862
12-05-2012, 08:26 PM
http://phillysportscentral.com/phillies/phillies-2012-rule-5-draft-preview.html

Baltimore INF Ty Kelly: In some ways, Kelly is pretty similar to Figueroa; he’s a grinder that makes consistent contact and gets on base with more walks than strikeouts in his career. Defense is a big difference though. While Kelly doesn’t play shortstop, he has spent some time in the outfield which gives him some nice versatility. In 2012, he went from high-A to AA, and while his power decreased at every level, but his very good plate approach and feel for contact remained the same. A switch hitter, Kelly is probably better batting left handed, but he was pretty even between the two last year. He has more power from the left side, and swings a bit more from the right side.

Gallen5862
12-05-2012, 08:27 PM
http://phillysportscentral.com/phillies/phillies-2012-rule-5-draft-preview.html

Tampa Bay INF Cole Figueroa: Figueroa is pretty much the quintessential 25th man on a roster. He’s played mostly second and third base, but that’s because most of his career has been spent on the same roster with one highly touted shortstop or another, starting with Drew Cumberland with the Padres and then Tim Beckham and Hak-Ju Lee with the Rays. His ability to step in and play the occasional shortstop makes him a true utility player, and that would allow Freddy Galvis to return to AAA to play every day where he belongs. He doesn’t have the power the Phillies are hoping to add this offseason, but the left handed hitter makes good contact, finds ways to get on base with a career 12.1 BB%, and he has a little bit of speed too.

Gallen5862
12-05-2012, 08:30 PM
http://phillysportscentral.com/phill...t-preview.html

San Diego C Jason Hagerty: The Rule 5 draft might be Hagerty’s best path to the majors because it just seems like Yasmani Grandal can’t get out of his way. At Miami as an amateur, Hagerty had to move to first base to accommodate Grandal, and of course now, Grandal is San Diego’s #1 catcher. He has fine potential of his own though, but a shoulder injury led to a down 2012 season. The 25 year old is a switch hitter with power, but the shoulder problem sapped his power and hurt his batting average. His .248 BA was the lowest he’s had since he hit the full season leagues, but one positive sign is that his walk and strikeout rates were similar if not better than most years in his career. Behind the plate, his defensive ceiling is just average, but if he pans out, his bat makes that a fair tradeoff. The Phillies seem set at catcher, but it wouldn’t hurt to give Erik Kratz and Humberto Quintero some competition.

Gallen5862
12-05-2012, 08:32 PM
It would be a very interesting move if the Reds took Jason Hagerty. Where would he project in the catching rankings list of prospects?

redsmetz
12-06-2012, 08:53 AM
Anyone have a link for the Rule 5 draft audio? I'm not seeing it popping up on MLB.com.

Gallen5862
12-06-2012, 08:58 AM
http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/prospects/2012/12/braulio-laura-jose-dominguez-lead-rule-5-buzz/

2012 RULE 5 DRAFT ORDER

1. Astros. 2. Cubs. 3. Rockies. 4. Twins. 5. Indians. 6. Marlins. 7. Red Sox. 8. Royals. 9. Blue Jays. 10. Mets. 11. Mariners. 12. Padres. 13. Pirates. 14. Diamondbacks. 15. Phillies. 16. Brewers. 17. White Sox. 18. Dodgers. 19. Cardinals. 20. Tigers. 21. Angels. 22. Rays. 23. Orioles. 24. Rangers. 25. Athletics. 26. Giants. 27. Braves. 28. Yankees. 29. Reds. 30. Nationals.

This year's buzz starts with two hard-throwing pitchers who were identified in BA's two previews. Lefthander Braulio Lara of the Rays was the leading rumor to be picked first overall by the Astros, who have the No. 1 spot for the second straight season. General manager Jeff Luhnow said this morning the Astros expect to be active in the Rule 5 draft, and last year Houston kept two Rule 5 picks in righthander Rhiner Cruz and infielder Marwin Gonzalez.

Dominguez, 22, also has a fastball that has touched 100 mph and earns some 80 grades for his fastball. He also has a 25-game MLB suspension waiting for him to start the 2013 season for a violation of the drug-treatment program.

Other players expected to be selected include righthander Josh Fields of the Red Sox, the 27-year-old former Georgia closer, and catcher Jason Hagerty of the Padres. The 25-year-old had a huge 2010 season at low Class A Fort Wayne (.917 OPS) but has missed time the last two years with a variety of injuries, including back problems that limited him to 77 games in 2012. Hagerty's a switch-hitter who draws walks (.377 career OBP), but he struggled defensively in 2012, leading the Texas League with 11 errors and throwing out just 21 percent of baserunners.

redsmetz
12-06-2012, 09:33 AM
We still have one spot on our 40 man roster right now, right?

BTW, I found the link to the online broadcast. I forgot Nashville is on Central Time, hence why the broadcast hasn't started.

Gallen5862
12-06-2012, 09:53 AM
where is the broadcast link?

Danny Serafini
12-06-2012, 09:57 AM
Front page of mlb.com

Gallen5862
12-06-2012, 10:00 AM
Thanks. Hopefully the Reds get some players.

Danny Serafini
12-06-2012, 10:03 AM
Astros take Josh Fields from Boston

Danny Serafini
12-06-2012, 10:03 AM
Cubs take Hector Rondon from Cleveland

Danny Serafini
12-06-2012, 10:04 AM
Rockies take Daniel Rosenbaum from Washington

Danny Serafini
12-06-2012, 10:04 AM
Twins take Ryan Pressly from Boston. All pitchers so far.

Danny Serafini
12-06-2012, 10:05 AM
Indians take Chris McGinnis 1B from Texas

Danny Serafini
Marlins take OF Silverio Alfredo from Dodgers

Danny Serafini
Red Sox takes 2B Jeff Hoppernus from Washington

Danny Serafini
12-06-2012, 10:06 AM
Mets take P Kyle Lobstein from Tampa

Danny Serafini
12-06-2012, 10:07 AM
Mariners first team to pass

Pirates pass

Diamondbacks take P Starling Peralta from Cubs

Danny Serafini
Phillies take OF Ender Enciarte (sp?) from Arizona

Danny Serafini
Brewers pass

White Sox take IF Angel Sanchez from Anaheim

Danny Serafini
12-06-2012, 10:08 AM
Dodgers pass

Cardinals pass

Tigers pass

Angels pass

Rays pass

Orioles take P Timothy McFarland from Indians

Danny Serafini
12-06-2012, 10:09 AM
Rangers take P Cody Woods from Colorado

Danny Serafini
12-06-2012, 10:09 AM
Giants pass

Braves pass

Reds pass

Nationals pass

Round 1 complete.

Danny Serafini
12-06-2012, 10:10 AM
Astros take 1b Nate Freyman from Padres to start round 2

Danny Serafini
12-06-2012, 10:11 AM
Cubs pass

Rockies pass

Twins pass

Marlins take P Abrolio Lora (total guess on spelling) from Rays

Gallen5862
I am surprized the reds did not select someone. Hopefully the Reds select someone in the minor league portion.

Danny Serafini
Red Sox pass

Mets pass

D-Backs pass

Philles pass

White Sox pass

Orioles pass

Rangers pass

Round 2 ends

Danny Serafini
12-06-2012, 10:12 AM
Astros pass

Marlins pass

Major League phase over, Reds pick none and lose none.

Gallen5862
12-06-2012, 10:12 AM
http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/prospects/2012/12/braulio-laura-jose-dominguez-lead-rule-5-buzz/

This year's buzz starts with two hard-throwing pitchers who were identified in BA's two previews. Lefthander Braulio Lara of the Rays was the leading rumor to be picked first overall by the Astros, who have the No. 1 spot for the second straight season. General manager Jeff Luhnow said this morning the Astros expect to be active in the Rule 5 draft, and last year Houston kept two Rule 5 picks in righthander Rhiner Cruz and infielder Marwin Gonzalez.

Plus Plus
12-06-2012, 10:13 AM
Thanks for the updates, Danny Serafini- it's hard to hear the audio for me, and having someone type out the names and such is great!

Danny Serafini
12-06-2012, 10:13 AM
I am surprized the reds did not select someone. Hopefully the Reds select someone in the minor league portion.

I'd have been shocked if they did pick someone. It's not the easiest roster to crack as it is, there's no point in them trying to stash a guy who isn't ready.

Danny Serafini
12-06-2012, 10:14 AM
Thanks for the updates, Danny Serafini- it's hard to hear the audio for me, and having someone type out the names and such is great!

No problem, beats doing actual work right now. :laugh:

Danny Serafini
12-06-2012, 10:19 AM
Sounds like the Mets may be trading their selection to the Tigers

Danny Serafini
12-06-2012, 10:20 AM
AAA portion underway

Astros take OF Michael Burgess from Cubs AA roster

Danny Serafini
12-06-2012, 10:20 AM
Cubs pass

Rockies pass

Twins takes 3B Mark Sobolewski from Blue Jays AA roster

Danny Serafini
12-06-2012, 10:21 AM
Indians pass

Marlins take P Tyler Kehrer from Angels AA

Danny Serafini
12-06-2012, 10:21 AM
Red Sox take P Jack McGeary from Nationals AA

Danny Serafini
12-06-2012, 10:22 AM
Royals pass

Blue Jays takes OF Soyer Carol (sp?) from Padres AA

Danny Serafini
12-06-2012, 10:22 AM
Mets pass

Mariners take 2B Eric Farris from Brewers AA

Danny Serafini
12-06-2012, 10:23 AM
Padres take IF Diego Goris from Royals AA

Danny Serafini
12-06-2012, 10:23 AM
Pirates take P Ethan Hollingsworth from Royals AA

Danny Serafini
12-06-2012, 10:24 AM
D-Backs pass

Phillies take P Branden Laugherty from Royals AA

Danny Serafini
12-06-2012, 10:24 AM
Brewers pass

White Sox pass

Dodgers take IF Elveys Gonzales from Pirates AA

Danny Serafini
12-06-2012, 10:25 AM
Cardinals take 2B Matthew Cerda from Cubs AA

Danny Serafini
Tigers take OF Eliezer Mesa from A's AA

Danny Serafini
Angels take OF Robert Widlanski from Orioles AA

Danny Serafini
12-06-2012, 10:26 AM
Rays pass

Orioles take P Tom Boleska from Twins AA

Danny Serafini
12-06-2012, 10:27 AM
Rangers takes 3B Marques Smith (sp?) from Reds AA

A's take 3b Thomas Mendoka from Rangers

Danny Serafini
12-06-2012, 10:28 AM
Giants take P Scott Shuman from Tampa AA

Braves pass

Reds take LHP Ryan Dennek from Royals AA

Nationals pass

Round 1 complete

Danny Serafini
Round 2

Astros take P Cameron Lamb from Giants AA

redsmetz
Reds take LHP Ryan Dennek from Royals AA

KC's getting their pockets picked, aren't they?

Danny Serafini
Marlins pass

Red Sox take P Jonathan Pachana from White Sox AA

Danny Serafini
12-06-2012, 10:29 AM
Blue Jays take Alvido Jimenez from Cubs AA

Danny Serafini
Mariners pass

Padres take P Federico Castenada from Royals AA

Gallen5862
http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=dennic001rya

Ryan Dennick

Ryan Dennick

Bats: Left, Throws: Left
Height: 6' 0", Weight: 185 lb.

Born: January 10, 1987 in North Olmsted, Ohio, US (Age 25)

Drafted by the Kansas City Royals in the 22nd round of the 2009 MLB June Amateur Draft from Tennessee Technological University (Cookeville, TN).

Minor League Service Time (01/2013): 2 years

Danny Serafini

Lots of them going

Danny Serafini
12-06-2012, 10:30 AM
PHI pass

LAD take P Hector Nelo from NAtionals AA

Danny Serafini
12-06-2012, 10:31 AM
Cardinals take Jay Voss from Tigers AA

Tigers pass

Angels pass

Rangers pass

A's take C Steven Hill from Cardinals AA

Danny Serafini
Reds take SS Michael Gilmartin from A's AA

*BaseClogger*

Undersized 25 year-old who just now reached AA and with underwhelming results? Better have a heck of a scouting report...

Danny Serafini
Round 2 complete

Astros pass in round 3

Red Sox pass

Blue Jays take Efrian Nieves from Tigers AA

redsmetz
12-06-2012, 10:32 AM
Rangers takes 3B Marques Smith (sp?) from Reds AA

Apparently we just signed Marquez Smith back in mid-November. Easy come, easy go - we get the draft fee.

Danny Serafini
12-06-2012, 10:32 AM
Padres pass

Dodgers pass

Reds pass

AAA phase complete

Gallen5862
12-06-2012, 10:33 AM
http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=gilmar001mic

Michael Gilmartin

Michael Gilmartin

Bats: Left, Throws: Right
Height: 6' 0", Weight: 180 lb.

Born: July 14, 1987 in Moorpark, California, US (Age 25)

Drafted by the Oakland Athletics in the 27th round of the 2009 MLB June Amateur Draft from Wofford College (Spartanburg, SC).

Minor League Service Time (01/2013): 2 years

Danny Serafini
12-06-2012, 10:33 AM
AA phase underway

Astros pass

Cubs pass

Rockies pass

Twins pass

Indians pass

Marlins pass

Red Sox pass

Royals pass

Blue Jays pass

Mets pass

Mariners pass

Paders pass

Danny Serafini
12-06-2012, 10:34 AM
Pirates pass

Diamondbacks pass

Phillies pass

Brewers pass

White Sox pass

Dodgers pass

Cardinals pass

redsmetz
Undersized 25 year-old who just now reached AA and with underwhelming results? Better have a heck of a scouting report...

I wasn't referring to a particular player, it was just that since I'd started listening, they seemed to have had three players drafted from their AA roster.

Danny Serafini
Tigers pass

Angels pass

Rays pass

Orioles pass

Rangers pass

Danny Serafini
12-06-2012, 10:35 AM
A's pass

Giants pass

Braves pass

Yankees pass

Reds pass

Nationals pass

We're all done, folks!

redsmetz
12-06-2012, 10:36 AM
I wasn't referring to a particular player, it was just that since I'd started listening, they seemed to have had three players drafted from their AA roster.

MLB.com reported it as five players picked from the Royals roster in that phase.

texasdave
12-06-2012, 10:50 AM
Hard to find much on Ryan Dennick out there. His favorite quote is, "When your body is tired, exercise your mind".

Here is a scouting report of sorts.

http://traditionsportsonline.com/tso-ootp/reports/html/players/player_27665.html

Gallen5862
12-06-2012, 01:54 PM
http://aeryssports.com/drinking-the-royals-blue-aid/2012/12/06/the-rule-v-draft/

The final two players taken were taken late and are both pitching in winter ball. Lefty Ryan Dennick went to the Cincinnati Reds. He spent the majority of the 2012 season with NW Arkansas (he started the year with High-A Wilmington). There, he was 6-5 in 30 games (three starts) with a 4.62 ERA. He walked 30 and struck out 72. Dennick has been starting for Mayaguez in the Puerto Rican League. There, he is 2-0 with a 2.82 ERA in five starts. In 22.1 innings, he has allowed 24 hits, walked five, and struck out 14.

Gallen5862
12-06-2012, 01:55 PM
http://aeryssports.com/drinking-the-royals-blue-aid/2012/12/06/the-rule-v-draft/

The Red Sox had the seventh pick and after losing two pitchers already, they selected a second baseman (because they do not already have an MVP candidate playing there). They picked Jeff Kobernus of the Nationals, who before being plunked in the ribs in August (and broke a few), was rumored to be a September callup. Like Rosenbaum, he was an Eastern League All-Star and hit .282 with 42 stolen bases. UPDATE: Kobernus was then traded to the Detroit Tigers, which makes a lot more sense.

Gallen5862
12-06-2012, 02:01 PM
http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/prospects/2012/12/2012-rule-5-draft-pick-by-pick/

TRIPLE-A PHASE, ROUND 1
29 Reds Ryan Dennick, lhp Royals
Former Tennessee Tech ace has seen stuff pick up as pro; good swingman candidate

TRIPLE-A PHASE, ROUND 2
29 Reds Michael Gilmartin, ss Athletics
Fringy defender with avg arm; one of 10 players in Cal Lge with 400+ PA, sub-.700 OPS