PDA

View Full Version : A new SP

Chappy_105
11-07-2012, 11:22 PM
It is of my personal opinion that chapman should stay in the pen where he is a proven asset. With that being said, I want a new pitcher to add to our rotation because I would prefer to never see mike leake start another game for us. Our rotation for next year currently projects to look something like this:
Cueto
Latos
Bailey
Arroyo
Leake?

That is very righty heavy so I think it would be in our best interests to pursue a lefty. I live in the DC area and went to a nats game this year where Ross Detwiler pitched. I have to say, he looked great. He pounded the hitters with a fastball that reached 96-97 and sat 92-94. He also had a good slider. Upon looking at his stats this year, I see that he had a 3.40 era.

Would the Nationals be willing to trade him? I would think that it could be possible for the right package due to their pitching depth. The big question I have is what would we have to give up?

MoneyInTheBank
11-08-2012, 06:21 AM
It is of my personal opinion that chapman should stay in the pen where he is a proven asset. With that being said, I want a new pitcher to add to our rotation because I would prefer to never see mike leake start another game for us. Our rotation for next year currently projects to look something like this:
Cueto
Latos
Bailey
Arroyo
Leake?

That is very righty heavy so I think it would be in our best interests to pursue a lefty. I live in the DC area and went to a nats game this year where Ross Detwiler pitched. I have to say, he looked great. He pounded the hitters with a fastball that reached 96-97 and sat 92-94. He also had a good slider. Upon looking at his stats this year, I see that he had a 3.40 era.

Would the Nationals be willing to trade him? I would think that it could be possible for the right package due to their pitching depth. The big question I have is what would we have to give up?

I would say it is unlikely the Nationals trade Detwiler. They no longer have the starting pitching depth they did last season as Edwin Jackson is a free agent and reports are they will be cutting ties with John Lannan. So rather than having depth, they will be out shopping for starters. Even if they were to trade him, the cost for good, young starters under team control is through the roof. Look what it took to get Latos.

I would like to point out that the starting rotation you listed there won 97 games for the Reds last season without missing a start (except for the Double Header). Not exactly a patchwork rotation

TSJ55
11-08-2012, 06:41 AM
I would like to point out that the starting rotation you listed there won 97 games for the Reds last season without missing a start (except for the Double Header). Not exactly a patchwork rotation

This is what I was thinking MITB. Pretty good odds out there even when the "shakier" guys take the bump. I also agree with Chappy about Aroldis. I have zero confidence in his ability to start and think it's a huge mistake to even attempt it at this point.

dMaus14
11-08-2012, 10:40 AM
To me if we were to acquire a new SP it would be for a guy who is near MLB ready like a Trevor Bauer. We need an arm or two in AA/AAA just in case one of our guys goes down. And once Arroyo leaves he can replace them.

alett12
11-08-2012, 01:17 PM
If the Reds can acquire a closer then it will be Chapman no need to add anyone.

Hondo
11-10-2012, 05:58 PM
Gotta be in on David Price. A Left Handed True Number one under team control for 2 more years and the Reds have the depth to pull it off without giving up core players... Leave Chapman as Closer or you have Neftali Perez/Texas Rangers Tommy John The Sequel o your hands...