PDA

View Full Version : RA Dickey

Wonderful Monds
11-08-2012, 02:41 PM
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/11/mets-discussing-ra-dickey-in-trades.html

They have stated they want OF and catcher help. I don't think we can match up there, but honestly if they want an OF, I imagine they can get one of the many from FA.

Can't really think of a parallel to this. He's an old pitcher, 1 year before FA. But he's a knuckler. He could conceivably stay good for a while.

mattfeet
11-08-2012, 02:47 PM
I think the Mets caught lightning in a bottle. Pass.

Vottomatic
11-08-2012, 02:48 PM
Dickey and Wright for Stubbs, Heisey, Paul, and any other junk they want. LOL. That's usually the kind of return fans consider.

The more I think about it, because of payroll limits, the Reds won't do anything this offseason.

Wonderful Monds
11-08-2012, 02:52 PM
I think the Mets caught lightning in a bottle. Pass.

He's been good for a while now though (though not that good.)

I just don't know if a strikeout rate like that happens by accident.

Johnny Footstool
11-08-2012, 02:54 PM
Dickey and Wright for Stubbs, Heisey, Paul, and any other junk they want. LOL. That's usually the kind of return fans consider.

The more I think about it, because of payroll limits, the Reds won't do anything this offseason.

Would the Reds trade Joey Votto and Bronson Arroyo for the likes of Stubbs, Heisey, Paul, and "other junk?"

No.

David Wright is the Mets' Joey Votto. It's wildly unrealistic to propose that they would accept three guys off the Reds' stinkpile for him.

Vottomatic
11-08-2012, 02:57 PM
Would the Reds trade Joey Votto and Bronson Arroyo for the likes of Stubbs, Heisey, Paul, and "other junk?"

No.

David Wright is the Mets' Joey Votto. It's wildly unrealistic to propose that they would accept three guys off the Reds' stinkpile for him.

I was joking. Obviously you didn't get that.

Most of the trade proposals you see on Redszone have posters nabbing some superstar and sending our junk in return. Makes me laugh every time.

Brutus
11-08-2012, 02:57 PM
The Reds don't need to invest any more resources into acquiring starting pitching. If they want a Dickey, they have him (his name is Aroldis). And it looks like they're trying to go that route, so no reason to spend any assets to get Dickey.

Kc61
11-08-2012, 02:58 PM
The Mets picked up Dickey's option. So he is signed for one year.

He would be a dynamite pickup for one year. He was tremendous this year, he misses bats, he would be a terrific change of pace from the hard throwers.

He would allow the Reds to trade off Leake and keep Chapman at closer.

The obvious problem is that Dickey will want a major extension. The Mets will want a big return. If the Reds only can keep him one season, they will not want to provide that return. So this won't happen.

Vottomatic
11-08-2012, 02:59 PM
The Reds don't need to invest any more resources into acquiring starting pitching. If they want a Dickey, they have him (his name is Aroldis). And it looks like they're trying to go that route, so no reason to spend any assets to get Dickey.

Can you imagine if they had Dickey, though?

Cueto and Dickey have been considered Cy Young candidates. Latos is viewed as a future one. 3 studs in one rotation, and Chapman possibly adding to it. Yikes.

Kc61
11-08-2012, 03:02 PM
Can you imagine if they had Dickey, though?

Cueto and Dickey have been considered Cy Young candidates. Latos is viewed as a future one. 3 studs in one rotation, and Chapman possibly adding to it. Yikes.

Cueto, Latos, Dickey, Bailey, Arroyo could be the best starting pitching staff in the league.

And then Chapman could close.

This would break some RedsZone hearts, but would create a fabulous staff.

Will not happen because the economics don't make sense. I don't see the Reds trading the farm for a one-year rental.

Some smart GM will acquire Dickey and extend him 2 or 3 years. It's a good gamble. He's a knuckleballer and potentially could be very productive for a few years still.

Brutus
11-08-2012, 03:04 PM
Cueto, Latos, Dickey, Bailey, Arroyo could be the best starting pitching staff in the league.

And then Chapman could close.

This would break some RedsZone hearts, but would create a fabulous staff.

Will not happen because the economics don't make sense. I don't see the Reds trading the farm for a one-year rental.

Some smart GM will acquire Dickey and extend him 2 or 3 years. It's a good gamble. He's a knuckleballer and potentially could be very productive for a few years still.

Why trade valuable prospects for a starting pitcher when you have one in-house? They can go out and buy a closer without giving up prospects. Dickey would require giving up assets.

Not a very prudent move IMHO.

If they're going to invest resources like that, it should be acquiring a bat (like David Wright). Otherwise, there is no reason to trade prospects for a position that can be upgraded within their own system.

Kc61
11-08-2012, 03:13 PM
Why trade valuable prospects for a starting pitcher when you have one in-house? They can go out and buy a closer without giving up prospects. Dickey would require giving up assets.

Not a very prudent move IMHO.

If they're going to invest resources like that, it should be acquiring a bat (like David Wright). Otherwise, there is no reason to trade prospects for a position that can be upgraded within their own system.

As I said in my post, the economics of acquiring Dickey don't work IMO. He'd be a rental and I wouldn't give up the farm for a rental.

As for the in-house starter, the Reds don't have one. They have a closer who potentially could be converted to a starter, and could be a very good one, assuming the Reds can otherwise man the bullpen.

The Reds can go various ways on Chapman and the pitching staff, but I don't see Dickey as a fit given his contract status.

Scrap Irony
11-08-2012, 03:31 PM
Dickey for Mesoraco, Leake, and Stubbs. I believe the Mets may consider that. Chapman stays at closer, which means Jocketty doesn't need to buy a closer. (Or much of anything in the pen, for that matter.)

The Reds would still need a CF and a LF, though.

REDREAD
11-08-2012, 03:34 PM
It just seems that most knuckleball pitchers have trouble being dominating year in and year out. Sure, Dickey has a good chance of being good next year, but Cy Young type season again? Probably not. He's more likely to be Joe Neikro.
I would give up what the Mets would realistically want for him.

Benihana
11-08-2012, 03:44 PM
Never overpay/buy the highs for a knuckleballer. Pass.

_Sir_Charles_
11-08-2012, 04:11 PM
Speaking of Dickey, they announced the finalists for the Cy Young award and Cueto wasn't one of them. Here's a nice piece about that snubbing if you're interested.

http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/post/_/id/30678/johnny-cueto-was-jobbed

lollipopcurve
11-08-2012, 04:27 PM
Dickey for Mesoraco, Leake, and Stubbs.

It's risky, but I think this is a trade I would do, getting Thole with Dickey. I really like Dickey.

I think the Reds could extend him because he's a Tennessee guy.

The pitching staff would be ridiculous.

cinreds21
11-08-2012, 04:54 PM
If the Reds were to acquire another starter, it better be Aroldis Chapman. They don't need anyone else.

Johnny Footstool
11-08-2012, 05:54 PM
I was joking. Obviously you didn't get that.

Most of the trade proposals you see on Redszone have posters nabbing some superstar and sending our junk in return. Makes me laugh every time.

Sorry. I've seen so many of these one-sided trade proposals made in earnest that I can't even recognize the joke proposals anymore.

Vottomatic
11-08-2012, 09:00 PM
Dickey for Mesoraco, Leake, and Stubbs. I believe the Mets may consider that. Chapman stays at closer, which means Jocketty doesn't need to buy a closer. (Or much of anything in the pen, for that matter.)

I have no faith in Mesoraco being much than average at best.
Leake would be the key piece, but we're getting his replacement back in the trade.
Stubbs needs a new start elsewhere.

I'd do that trade in a heartbeat.
Depending on how much the Mets value Mesoraco would determine if they'd do that deal. Mez was a key sticking point in potential trades last year, and the Reds weren't willing to deal him.

Vottomatic
12-02-2012, 11:19 AM
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/12/east-notes-ichiro-dickey-mets-red-sox.html

The Mets have fielded calls from six or seven teams are looking to meet and discuss a deal for R.A. Dickey, writes Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com. The Mets and Dickey have been trying to work out a contract extension for two months, but it appears general manager Sandy Alderson has the green light to now to more seriously consider trade alternatives instead. The Mets are expected to seek a catcher and outfield help in any trade.
Read more at http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/12/east-notes-ichiro-dickey-mets-red-sox.html#iaWetmkM7gx3cBGA.99

Mez, Heisey, Leake?

mth123
12-02-2012, 11:34 AM
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/12/east-notes-ichiro-dickey-mets-red-sox.html

Mez, Heisey, Leake?

Pass. Keep our arms, add some bats and let somebody else pay for a 39 year-old.

Vottomatic
12-02-2012, 11:57 AM
Pass. Keep our arms, add some bats and let somebody else pay for a 39 year-old.

LOL. I have to admit, I thought he was in his early 30's. I just looked it up on baseball-reference.com and he's 38. Unreal. I had no clue about that.

Totally makes trading for him, for any club interested, a whole different ballgame.

mth123
12-02-2012, 12:42 PM
LOL. I have to admit, I thought he was in his early 30's. I just looked it up on baseball-reference.com and he's 38. Unreal. I had no clue about that.

Totally makes trading for him, for any club interested, a whole different ballgame.

There are certainly teams in win now mode with deep farms that could use him. The Blue Jays or Rangers make sense. If I was the Mets, I'd be shopping him hard. The Reds need to use their chips in other areas.

RedEye
12-02-2012, 01:04 PM
He would allow the Reds to trade off Leake and keep Chapman at closer.

Why would they want to do that when they just told Chapman to prepare as a starter? Makes no sense.

Kc61
12-02-2012, 03:15 PM
Why would they want to do that when they just told Chapman to prepare as a starter? Makes no sense.

LOL.

Actually my post made perfect sense.

First, if the Reds did acquire a Dickey type pitcher, they could leave Chapman as the closer. But my post made clear I thought this would not happen because Dickey would cost too much.

Second, my post was three weeks before Broxton was signed and three weeks before the Reds said Chapman was preparing as a starter. I'm sorry that I was unable to predict events announced three weeks later.

wally post
12-02-2012, 03:30 PM
Well, personally, I'd love to see Dickey as a Red and do not see any reason not to try (except for I wonder which catcher can catch him and not get screwed up). A rotation of Queto Arroyo Latos Dickey Chapman? mmm good. Instant batting slump for many visiting batters! We've got the centerfielder (stubbs) but hopefully the rest wouldn't cost too much

Vottomatic
12-02-2012, 03:54 PM
Well, personally, I'd love to see Dickey as a Red and do not see any reason not to try (except for I wonder which catcher can catch him and not get screwed up). A rotation of Queto Arroyo Latos Dickey Chapman? mmm good. Instant batting slump for many visiting batters! We've got the centerfielder (stubbs) but hopefully the rest wouldn't cost too much

I hardly think all it would take is Mez and Stubbs. If that is all.........then I'd do it.

I'm not sold on Mez at all............and getting rid of Stubbs can't happen fast enough.

I think it would take Mez, Leake, Stubbs, and probably a minor leaguer. I would not do that for a 38 year old pitcher.

NJReds
12-02-2012, 04:08 PM
Buyer beware on Dickey. He throws a "fast" knuckleball and isn't Wakefield who can go every couple days. The buzz here is that the Mets are concerned that a loss in velocity would significantly affect his effectiveness, and they don't trust him to throw more than 100 pitches per game. That's why they are hesitant to give him a big money extension and are looking to deal him. I'd take him, but not for a Latos-like deal. No Mez. No Leake. Heisey and a minor league pitcher and/or catcher, max.

mth123
12-02-2012, 04:22 PM
Buyer beware on Dickey. He throws a "fast" knuckleball and isn't Wakefield who can go every couple days. The buzz here is that the Mets are concerned that a loss in velocity would significantly affect his effectiveness, and they don't trust him to throw more than 100 pitches per game. That's why they are hesitant to give him a big money extension and are looking to deal him. I'd take him, but not for a Latos-like deal. No Mez. No Leake. Heisey and a minor league pitcher and/or catcher, max.

Exactly.