PDA

View Full Version : 2012-2013 NBA Season

improbus
11-08-2012, 06:20 PM
I love the NBA.

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/42243/nick-young-is-trying-to-kill-me

improbus
11-13-2012, 11:32 AM
The Lakers are ridiculous. They had the sixth ranked offense and their defense was rapidly improving. But, they decided that they needed an even better offense.

In the end, they simply want to own the headlines. There is value and money in that.

5TimeWSChamps
11-21-2012, 06:32 AM
The Twolves injury report is absurd. Never seen anything like it.

Rubio
Love
Barea
Roy
Pekovic
Budinger

improbus
11-21-2012, 10:12 AM
The Twolves injury report is absurd. Never seen anything like it.

Rubio
Love
Barea
Roy
Pekovic
Budinger

As someone who owns Kirilenko on his fantasy team, I enjoy seeing that.

improbus
11-23-2012, 10:53 AM
In celebration of the potential return of Michael Finley...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXixmaZDSPA

And also from a more personal experience...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-3vvbwZidg

improbus
11-23-2012, 12:25 PM
The Bobcats are 6-4. Repeat, the Bobcats are 6-4.

5TimeWSChamps
11-23-2012, 08:51 PM
Kevin Love came back two nights ago

34 points, 14 rebounds.

It's like he never left

improbus
11-25-2012, 07:20 AM
Charlotte Bobcats:
2011-2012: 7-59
2012-2013: 7-5

wow.

TeamSelig
11-26-2012, 02:08 PM
That's what MKG will do for you ;)

improbus
11-26-2012, 08:37 PM

What's amazing is that they are shooting 41% as a team (only Indiana and Washington are worse...bad times for the Pacers).

Speaking of the Pacers, they are playing some of the most unwatchable basketball possible. They are shooting 41% and giving up 40% shooting. No one else is close to that defensive number.

jmac
11-26-2012, 09:03 PM
I have to admit, MKG is making a quicker impact than I thought he would.

WMR
11-26-2012, 10:14 PM
If MKG gets his jump shot consistent he could be one of the best players in the NBA. Is he going to end up more Kobe or Gerald Wallace...

He can do pretty much everything else already and his intangibles are off the charts.

jmac
11-26-2012, 10:54 PM
If MKG gets his jump shot consistent he could be one of the best players in the NBA. Is he going to end up more Kobe or Gerald Wallace...

He can do pretty much everything else already and his intangibles are off the charts.

The jump shot was my question also. I didnt figure he would get as many put backs and inside shots as he did in college.
I havent got to see many of his games but he must be doing something right as I think he is averaging around 11 to 12 points and 6 or 7 rebounds.
If he finds that jumper......look out. ;)

improbus
11-27-2012, 04:37 AM
Whatever Charlotte was doing didn't work last night. They were down 64 - 24 at half vs. OKC. BTW, congratulations for helping me to set a world record for consecutive Charlotte Bobcats posts in a baseball forum. I knew we could do it.

reds1869
11-28-2012, 06:40 PM
I loved Byron Scott's press conference last night: "I'll make just a real quick statement. Andy Varejao was fantastic. Everybody else sucked tonight. Anything else you need to know?" :lol:

RichRed
11-29-2012, 03:31 PM
Congrats to the _izards who finally won a game. You may now have your "W" back!

This pretty well sums up the team:

http://bentcorner.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/wizards.really.suck_.jpg

BuckeyeRed27
11-30-2012, 10:03 PM
David Stern can't leave the NBA soon enough. Fining the Spurs is a complete joke.

traderumor
12-01-2012, 10:18 AM
Congrats to the _izards who finally won a game. You may now have your "W" back!

This pretty well sums up the team:

http://bentcorner.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/wizards.really.suck_.jpgShouldn't they have been the LLLLLLLLLLLLLLizards?

RichRed
12-01-2012, 11:05 AM
Shouldn't they have been the LLLLLLLLLLLLLLizards?

I'm old school. I prefer the BuLLLLLLLLLLLLLets.

improbus
12-01-2012, 02:21 PM
David Stern can't leave the NBA soon enough. Fining the Spurs is a complete joke.
A couple of interesting things on that front. First, imagine the potential gambling ramifications if you saw those three guys flying commercial back to San Antonio before it was announced that they wouldn't play. Second, I love what it does for the morale of the bench guys. Imagine being Gary Neal or Splitter, or even better, one of the guys who almost never plays (De Colo, Cory Joseph, and James Anderson played a combined 69 minutes).

I love the move, but I didn't buy tickets to the game. I might feel differently if I spent the outrageous amount of money needed to go to a Heat game.

Stray
12-01-2012, 03:29 PM
From yesterday, but this is a great read. Stern is terrible.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--david-stern-stumbles-again-in-his-failed-culture-war-against-the-spurs-194828970.html

traderumor
12-01-2012, 03:35 PM
A couple of interesting things on that front. First, imagine the potential gambling ramifications if you saw those three guys flying commercial back to San Antonio before it was announced that they wouldn't play. Second, I love what it does for the morale of the bench guys. Imagine being Gary Neal or Splitter, or even better, one of the guys who almost never plays (De Colo, Cory Joseph, and James Anderson played a combined 69 minutes).

I love the move, but I didn't buy tickets to the game. I might feel differently if I spent the outrageous amount of money needed to go to a Heat game.Therein lies the rub. Multimillion dollar paychecks require "main event" ticket prices every night just to pay the bills, so the theater goer feels cheated if they get the under study when the star's throat is sore. Plus, the expanded number of teams in the league only allows for one visit to some cities.

While I don't think either side was correct in the handling of this situation, both sides have valid points. However, this is an "integrity of the league" ethical dilemma. To me, it is most like intentionally throwing a game and the biggest issue is the fans who bought tickets for a "big game."

Where it really gets unfair is if the Heat have "premium" games, and this was included. If that was the case, I'd be issuing refunds and sending the bill to the Spurs.

traderumor
12-01-2012, 03:46 PM
From yesterday, but this is a great read. Stern is terrible.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--david-stern-stumbles-again-in-his-failed-culture-war-against-the-spurs-194828970.htmlI don't follow the NBA at any more than a far distance, don't even rembember the last full game I watched, because, well, its boring. But just from a critical review of that article, a little heavy on the Spurs love to be taken seriously.

Stray
12-01-2012, 04:19 PM
I don't follow the NBA at any more than a far distance, don't even rembember the last full game I watched, because, well, its boring. But just from a critical review of that article, a little heavy on the Spurs love to be taken seriously.

It's not so much about the Spurs as it is what the Spurs stand for. They're everything that Stern doesn't want the NBA to be. A small market team who plays a 'boring' style of basketball and are extremely successful.

The fine wasn't about the integrity of the game, or about the fans, it was about Stern getting mad that Popovich embarrassed him on national tv. Pop did it in a way where he would send a message, and it was apparently received loud and clear.

The best part was how the Spurs were extremely competitive in that game with their bench warmers, it just made Stern's embarrassing overreaction before the game funnier.

improbus
12-01-2012, 04:22 PM
It's not so much about the Spurs as it is what the Spurs stand for. They're everything that Stern doesn't want the NBA to be. A small market team who plays a 'boring' style of basketball and are extremely successful.

The fine wasn't about the integrity of the game, or about the fans, it was about Stern getting mad that Popovich embarrassed him on national tv. Pop did it in a way where he would send a message, and it was apparently received loud and clear.

The best part was how the Spurs were extremely competitive in that game with their bench warmers, it just made Stern's embarrassing overreaction before the game funnier.
Imagine if the Spurs had won. Would Stern have to rescind the fine? How could you fine a team for essentially throwing a game when they won the game?

texasdave
12-01-2012, 04:35 PM
Popovich was wrong. Stern was right. My buddy is a big Spurs' fan and always buy excellent seats. Last year he bought 4 $125 tix. And, trust me, this was a large amount of money for him. I would imagine all told the bill that night ran to about 700 dollars. So the people at home who aren't out a huge amount like that would probably be whistling a different tune if they were in his shoes. Resting guys in November. The NBA markets individual players. I think they have to play if possible. Ridiculous.

reds1869
12-01-2012, 04:48 PM
Popovich was wrong. Stern was right. My buddy is a big Spurs' fan and always buy excellent seats. Last year he bought 4 $125 tix. And, trust me, this was a large amount of money for him. I would imagine all told the bill that night ran to about 700 dollars. So the people at home who aren't out a huge amount like that would probably be whistling a different tune if they were in his shoes. Resting guys in November. The NBA markets individual players. I think they have to play if possible. Ridiculous.

Is it unfair when Dusty trots out a Sunday Special? Those fans bought tickets, too. I don't think fans who got to watch Lebron have too much right to feel cheated, anyway.

improbus
12-01-2012, 05:01 PM
Okay, but how is Stern supposed to legislate his coaches? Does he have to review the teams lineup before every game? Isn't a coaches obligation to his team and doing whats best for them?

If Stern wants to complain, complain to the scheduling department. Do you really want an old SA team playing Miami in their 4th game in their 4th city in 5 nights with a big game two days later in Memphis when Miami was playing their first game in four days? Doesn't that open the door for injuries to the oft injured Ginobili, Parker, and Duncan? If you want to protect the integrity of your precious nationally televised games, then you probably shouldn't do such a poor job of scheduling these game.

traderumor
12-02-2012, 08:13 PM
Is it unfair when Dusty trots out a Sunday Special? Those fans bought tickets, too. I don't think fans who got to watch Lebron have too much right to feel cheated, anyway.I would hope you can see the difference between a game that plays twice as many games and the tickets are a quarter of the cost. Maybe not. Try the analogy of a night at the theater with seats that set you back upwards of a $100 per seat and all the understudies for each character are performing on the night you go to the show versus paying $10 to see a bad movie.

traderumor
12-02-2012, 08:17 PM
Okay, but how is Stern supposed to legislate his coaches? Does he have to review the teams lineup before every game? Isn't a coaches obligation to his team and doing whats best for them?

If Stern wants to complain, complain to the scheduling department. Do you really want an old SA team playing Miami in their 4th game in their 4th city in 5 nights with a big game two days later in Memphis when Miami was playing their first game in four days? Doesn't that open the door for injuries to the oft injured Ginobili, Parker, and Duncan? If you want to protect the integrity of your precious nationally televised games, then you probably shouldn't do such a poor job of scheduling these game.It is more obvious than that. It is an ethical dilemma to put your best team on the floor out of respect for people who paid good money to attend your event vs. claiming you are resting all of your starters in a marquee matchup because of the grueling schedule-------a month into the season. Posturing is never pretty, and that is all this is, a good ole fashion turf war between children dressing like adults.

Scrap Irony
12-02-2012, 08:23 PM
It reminds me of going to a Broadway show and having an understudy in the lead roles.

Roy Tucker
12-02-2012, 09:22 PM
I was in high school and spent my allowance money on a Royals ticket to see them play the then-mighty Lakers of Wilt Chamberlain, Elgin Baylor, and Jerry West.

None of the three played. A guard by the named of Dick Garrett lit them up like a Christmas tree and had like 20 points by the half. So when you buy a ticket, you never know who you're going to see.

I think its crap that Stern fined Popovich and I hope Pop appeals it (to who, I have no idea). When the commisioner can tell a team who they have to play, well, then the terrorists have won.

Tom Servo
12-04-2012, 07:02 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources--nola-hornets-to-change-nickname-to-pelicans-231227843.html

lol pelicans

KronoRed
12-04-2012, 08:21 PM
War Pelican!

Revering4Blue
12-04-2012, 09:06 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources--nola-hornets-to-change-nickname-to-pelicans-231227843.html

lol pelicans

If the nickname "Hornets" is returned to Charlotte, I'm all for it.

westofyou
12-04-2012, 09:13 PM
If the nickname "Hornets" is returned to Charlotte, I'm all for it.

That's the old New Orleans ABA team, the Hornets actually were the WFL teams name when I lived in Charlotte, that name goes deeper than just the NBA

I'm pro Lakers going back to Minnesota myself

Revering4Blue
12-04-2012, 09:24 PM
That's the old New Orleans ABA team, the Hornets actually were the WFL teams name when I lived in Charlotte, that name goes deeper than just the NBA

I'm pro Lakers going back to Minnesota myself

The New Orleans ABA team was the Buccaneers. WFL. Shoot, that's going way back to the days of Jim Kiick.

L.A Lakers makes no sense, either.

Actually, the expansion NBA Hornets were originally to be named the "Spirit".

Tom Servo
12-04-2012, 09:32 PM
http://www.sneakerfiles.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/on-court-air-jordan-xx3-chris-paul-pe-1.jpg

I was thinking the Hornets could just use the Buccaneers name as I really like those throwback uni's, but then I realized it would often be shortened to Bucs which would get confusing with the Milwaukee Bucks around.

dabvu2498
12-04-2012, 09:37 PM
Pelicans was the name of their minor league baseball teams for decades.

Revering4Blue
12-04-2012, 10:10 PM
Wizards beat Heat 105-101 for 2nd win of season.

westofyou
12-04-2012, 10:35 PM
The New Orleans ABA team was the Buccaneers. WFL. Shoot, that's going way back to the days of Jim Kiick.

L.A Lakers makes no sense, either.

Actually, the expansion NBA Hornets were originally to be named the "Spirit".

Lakers are Minnesota's loss

And duh so right on the original ABA NO team, there's a current semi pro league that has that moniker

texasdave
12-05-2012, 10:19 AM
Louisiana is the Pelican State. So it makes sense.

http://www.apples4theteacher.com/images-ref/state-flag-photos/louisiana.jpg

WVRed
12-05-2012, 10:36 AM
Myself, I'd rather see them buy out Utah for the Jazz naming rights. Makes even less sense for Utah to be called the Jazz when you consider the Mormon following. (Think back to Baseketball for this reference)

texasdave
12-19-2012, 11:28 PM
Charlotte Bobcats:
2011-2012: 7-59
2012-2013: 7-5

wow.

Jinxed them. 13 straight losses and counting.

camisadelgolf
01-02-2013, 05:23 AM
Jinxed them. 13 straight losses and counting.
The losing streak got up to 18 before they finally eclipsed last season.

texasdave
01-02-2013, 12:09 PM
How did Andre Drummond fall to number 9 in the draft? There are going to be some teams kicking themselves for not calling his name on draft night. He was the second, maybe even best, player available.

Scrap Irony
01-02-2013, 01:11 PM
He's been good, but I'd still take Davis, Lillard, and Kidd-Gilchrist over him.

Biggest bust?

Thomas Robinson's been bad, but Austin Rivers might be having the worst season a rookie has ever experienced. He's struggling shooting, can't pass, doesn't rebound, won't play defense, bricks free throws, and found a way to concuss teammate Anthony Davis and keep him out five games.

Revering4Blue
01-02-2013, 09:43 PM
How did Andre Drummond fall to number 9 in the draft? There are going to be some teams kicking themselves for not calling his name on draft night. He was the second, maybe even best, player available.

I've agreed with you all along regarding Drummond.

Granted, as things stand today:

* Lillard is the rookie of the year, so far.

* Believe it or not, Kidd-Gilchrist's numbers so far are comparable to that of James Worthy's rookie year, with Kidd - Gilchrist a better outside shooter - his supposed weakness - than Worthy was for much of his career.

* Davis and Rivers should both benefit from the return of Eric Gordon. In such case, Rivers should be more comfortable in a reserve/ sixth man role.

Finally, here's an interesting tidbit from an ESPN Chad Ford chat.

steve (Michigan)

With the way Drummond is playing, dispelling the work ethic issues, can he be better than A. Davis? Seems with his size and athletic ability the D. Howard comparisons are spot on.

Chad Ford
(1:18 PM)

Howard was his comp last year. Coming into last season he was the only player scouts thought could knock Anthony Davis off the No. 1 pick spot. He didn't really play up to it at UConn ... but after watching him for half of season in Detroit -- it is looking like the right comp. If he is going to keep up this learning curve and play hard all of the time, he has a chance to be better than Davis because he has more physical tools. And ... Drummond has now passed Davis as the rookie with the highest PER in the league.

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/46598

5TimeWSChamps
01-04-2013, 05:38 PM
Pretty pumped to head down to Dallas next week for work..

College roommate hooked me up with one of his season tickets...

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/13591_147738272043809_402038108_n.jpg

WMR
01-04-2013, 05:57 PM
If you see Cuban, tell him he's a bum for not going to meet with Deron Williams in person.

improbus
01-05-2013, 05:15 AM
If you see Cuban, tell him he's a bum for not going to meet with Deron Williams in person.
With the way Deron has been playing, Mark might have done the right thing.

Chip R
01-05-2013, 10:35 AM
Check out what CP3 did to Kobe last night.

http://www.sbnation.com/2013/1/5/3838276/chris-paul-buzzer-beater-kobe-bryant-lakers-vs-clippers/in/3600773

Scrap Irony
01-05-2013, 10:45 AM
Check out what CP3 did to Kobe last night.

http://www.sbnation.com/2013/1/5/3838276/chris-paul-buzzer-beater-kobe-bryant-lakers-vs-clippers/in/3600773

Lots of people have been doing that to Bryant this season.

No defense in Laker-Land.

Chip R
01-05-2013, 11:28 AM
Lots of people have been doing that to Bryant this season.

No defense in Laker-Land.

Yeah, but that was a pretty sick move, no matter who it was against.

Scrap Irony
01-05-2013, 12:04 PM
True.

Is Chris Paul the MVP so far this season?

I'd argue that LeBron James has had the better season, but I could hear an argument for the former Demon Deacon.

improbus
01-13-2013, 09:44 AM
True.

Is Chris Paul the MVP so far this season?

I'd argue that LeBron James has had the better season, but I could hear an argument for the former Demon Deacon.

He is great, but he only plays 33 minutes a game on the deepest team in basketball (and that is without Grant Hill and Chaucncey making any contributions). The MVP is between LeBron and Durant.

5TimeWSChamps
02-12-2013, 10:38 PM
Actually got to see the Twolves win in person:

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/857031_160838834067086_111112333_o.jpg

Revering4Blue
02-15-2013, 09:56 PM
As All Star Weekend commences, Here are some NBA questions to ponder:

*What big name, if any, will be dealt by next Thursday's trading deadline?

*Will Derrick Rose return this season, let alone make an impact?

*Following recent deals with Cleveland and Toronto, are the Grizzlies any better or worse than before the aforementioned deals?

*Based on current standings, what team, if any, that currently qualifies for the playoffs is most likely to fall out of playoff contention by season's end?

*The inverse of the above question.

*Once Danny Granger returns to the Pacers, should he (Granger) be placed in the role of sixth man?

*Can the Clippers - a franchise that once traded away for peanuts (among others) 30 ppg. scorer Lloyd (World B.) Free, a young Tom Chambers, a young Terry Cummings and the draft rights to Byron Scott - actually win the Championship?

* Will the World end if the Clippers actually win it all?

improbus
02-16-2013, 07:28 AM
Really, I only have two questions about the NBA.

1) Can the Spurs turn their regular season success into postseason success? They haven't been able to do it the last three or four years.

2) Can anyone in the East actually compete with Miami in the playoffs?

Everything else is window dressing.

Scrap Irony
02-16-2013, 08:33 AM
1) If the Lakers don't make the playoffs, will they be considered the most disappointing team in the history of the game?

2) How delicious is the irony that said Laker team sucks?

improbus
02-16-2013, 10:03 PM
Is anyone else starting to feel like this is Kyrie Irving's world and were just living in it. My goodness. I knew he could shoot, but that was impressive.

TeamSelig
02-17-2013, 10:52 PM
I still can't believe the Lakers suck. I remember when they picked up Howard and Nash, several people were pissed and said they might as well not even play the games this year. I argued that Miami could still compete to the point where it wasn't guaranteed for LAL to win it all. lol Funny how it turns out.

Revering4Blue
02-20-2013, 01:12 PM
And in terms of quality of play and its entertainment value, the NBA is enjoying its best run in nearly 20 years.

Take a closer look. You'll find that some of the longstanding arguments against the NBA are outdated.

The game isn't as slow and boring and devoid of various styles of play anymore. The defending champion Miami Heat plays small ball and excels in transition. Even the San Antonio Spurs the plodding ol' Spurs score 104.2 points per game. There are big and bruising teams such as the Memphis Grizzlies and Utah Jazz, and there are teams defying gravity such as the Los Angeles Clippers. The game is more wide open than it used to be, and there's no single prototype that everyone copies.

It's still a superstar-driven league, but better overall teams are being built. The franchise players continue to run the NBA, and they've been teaming up to form super teams, but interestingly, the league is far more competitive than the days when Shaq and Kobe reigned. For all the Heat did to put LeBron James, Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh together, they're not miles ahead of the rest of the league like many thought they would be. And there are several teams, the Indiana Pacers and Denver Nuggets included, without a true superstar that are winning with depth.

The biggest change? This crop of stars is far more likable and trustworthy. Don't throw out the breathless and lazy thug label with these guys. James, the league's best player, is a responsible torchbearer who has never been in trouble and who tried in vain to play the villain role after he left Cleveland for Miami. He gave up, returned to being a fun-loving guy, and he's playing the best basketball of his career. Kobe Bryant has rebuilt his image. Kevin Durant is a basketball savant. Wade is a great league spokesman. Chris Paul, Blake Griffin, James Harden, Russell Westbrook, Kyrie Irving they're all easy to root for. Dirk Nowitzki, Kevin Garnett, Tim Duncan like Bryant, they're all future Hall of Famers still chasing one more championship.

http://seattletimes.com/html/jerrybrewer/2020384328_brewer19.html

Spot-on.

Revering4Blue
02-20-2013, 09:56 PM
Not Blockbusters, but noteworthy.

The Rockets have traded Marcus Morris to the Phoenix Suns in exchange for a second-round pick, according to Yahoo! Sports' Adrian Wojnarowski.

The Kings have reportedly traded PF Thomas Robinson, G/F Francisco Garcia and F Tyler Honeycutt to the Rockets in exchange for Patrick Patterson, Toney Douglas and Cole Aldrich

Source: Adrian Wojnarowski on Twitter

Parsons, Jones, Robinson, Honeycutt and White.

That's quite a collection of young forwards with high ceilings. Letting Scola go looks better by the day.

WMR
02-20-2013, 10:24 PM
Not sure I'd be touting White.

Revering4Blue
02-20-2013, 10:29 PM
Not sure I'd be touting White.

Yeah, it's 50/50 that he ever plays in the NBA with his fear of flying issue. But there is no denying that he has tremendous potential.

texasdave
02-21-2013, 10:38 AM
A tweet from Ken Berger at CBS:

The Rockets, flush with assets, are involved at "high level" in Josh Smith talks, league source says.

Daryl Morey must never sleep.

Buckeye33
02-21-2013, 03:28 PM
A tweet from Ken Berger at CBS:

Daryl Morey must never sleep.

Josh Smith ends up not being traded from Atlanta. A bit of a surprise.

KoryMac5
02-21-2013, 03:37 PM
I remember when the NBA trade deadline used to be fun.

Boston Red
02-21-2013, 03:53 PM
Now that the Celtics have traded for Jordan, they have to be considered the favorites to win it all.

Revering4Blue
02-21-2013, 07:54 PM
I remember when the NBA trade deadline used to be fun.

The Luxury tax threshold coupled with positioning for this Summer's free agent market limited deals this year, for sure.

Now that the Celtics have traded for Jordan, they have to be considered the favorites to win it all.

All kidding aside, I cannot believe that J.C was essentially given away. He certainly should have fetched more than an expiring contract and a big man who is of limited use to a contender, much less a team bound for the lottery...again.

One under the radar deal that could pay dividends: Ronnie Brewer to OKC, as Brewer allows OKC to match up better with teams like Miami when they go small.

Also, the Magic received more for J.J Redick than I thought they would. But, IMHO, the Bucks are still most likely a first round casualty, but We'll see.

texasdave
02-21-2013, 07:57 PM
Here’s a list of all the trades from the past two days:

• The Magic trade J.J. Redick, Gustavo Ayon and Ish Smith to the Bucks for Tobias Harris, Beno Udrih and Doron Lamb.

• The Wizards trade Jordan Crawford to Celtics for Leandro Barbosa and Jason Collins.

• The Bobcats trade Hakim Warrick to the Magic for Josh McRoberts.

• The Knicks trade Ronnie Brewer to the Thunder for a 2014 second-round pick and cash considerations.

• The Thunder trade Eric Maynor to the Trail Blazers for the draft rights to Giorgio Printezis and a trade exception.

• The Heat trade Dexter Pittman to the Grizzlies for the rights to Ricky Sanchez and a trade exception.

• The Hawks trade Anthony Morrow to the Mavericks for Dahntay Jones.

• The Suns trade Sebastian Telfair to the Raptors for Hamed Haddadi and a protected second-round pick.

• The Warriors trade Jeremy Tyler to the Hawks for a second-round pick and trade Charles Jenkins to Sixers for a second-round pick.

• The Kings trade Thomas Robinson, Francisco Garcia and Tyler Honeycutt to the Rockets for Patrick Patterson, Cole Aldrich, Toney Douglas and cash considerations.

• The Rockets trade Marcus Morris to the Suns for a 2013 second-round pick.

Revering4Blue
02-21-2013, 08:11 PM
Another reason for so much inactivity: Pittman to the Grizzlies shifted the balance of power to the point where other GMs figured that it was a lost cause to deal.:D

Razor Shines
02-22-2013, 10:24 PM
Apparently the Pacers are the best team ever. They laid two absolute beatings in a row.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Revering4Blue
02-22-2013, 10:37 PM
Apparently the Pacers are the best team ever. They laid two absolute beatings in a row.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keep it up, boys. :beerme:

texasdave
02-23-2013, 12:21 AM
The San Antonio Spurs have the best record in the NBA in spite of having played 8 more road games than home games.

jmac
02-23-2013, 07:03 PM
Greg Popavich is a tremendous coach ! You hear alot about Phil it seems when talking of great coaching but Phil had MJ and Kobe/Shaq.
I think Pop is right up there.

RBA
02-23-2013, 11:30 PM
Greg Popavich is a tremendous coach ! You hear alot about Phil it seems when talking of great coaching but Phil had MJ and Kobe/Shaq.
I think Pop is right up there.

In 2009 and 2010, Phil only had Kobe, no Shaq. Lakers have Kobe/Howard now and their current coach is struggling to get them to the playoffs.

Revering4Blue
02-23-2013, 11:49 PM
In 2009 and 2010, Phil only had Kobe, no Shaq. Lakers have Kobe/Howard now and their current coach is struggling to get them to the playoffs.

And the Lakers have been completely healthy how often this season? In a season where the West is particularly strong, at least at the top, the Lakers couldn't afford to have Nash, Howard and Gasol in sick bay for extended periods of time.

True, D'antoni may not be the best coach for this particular team - i.e: the players, particularly Howard, don't seem to fit his system - but that's not proof that Phil Jackson is a better coach than Pops.

Pops at least built something from the ground up, whereas Phil always walked into great, ready-made situations.

RBA
02-24-2013, 12:07 AM
And the Lakers have been completely healthy how often this season? In a season where the West is particularly strong, at least at the top, the Lakers couldn't afford to have Nash, Howard and Gasol in sick bay for extended periods of time.

True, D'antoni may not be the best coach for this particular team - i.e: the players, particularly Howard, don't seem to fit his system - but that's not proof that Phil Jackson is a better coach than Pops.

Pops at least built something from the ground up, whereas Phil always walked into great, ready-made situations.

I not saying PJ is better or worst than Pops. They are two of the greatest coaches ever. I don't know how anyone could say either way. Unless they had the exact same players.

improbus
02-24-2013, 06:41 AM

Pop tanked in his first season and got Duncan. It would be really hard to screw up a team that Tim Duncan and David Robinson.

I'm not saying Pop isn't great, but no one EVER gives RC Buford credit for getting him Ginobili and Parker in the second round. And, when you have three anchors like Duncan, Manu, and Parker, it is easy to draft players to fit roles.

I tend to think that coaches make very little difference (particularly in pro basketball and baseball). Let me ask it this way. What happens if Eric Spoelstra wins three titles with LeBron, Wade, and Bosh? Does he enter the pantheon? Why or why not?

Revering4Blue
02-24-2013, 10:30 AM
What happens if Eric Spoelstra wins three titles with LeBron, Wade, and Bosh? Does he enter the pantheon? Why or why not?

That it is a good question.

If Spoelstra had been "Van Gundyd", Pat Riley would have once again reaped the all of the benefits of walking into a contending situation at the right time.

I think RBA hit the nail on the head about coaches in the exact situations with the exact players at the same time. I also believe the era of coaching - and obviously the team's personnel - play huge factors.

No amount of coaching would have made this season's Bobcats or the early 80's Cavs and Pacers competitive. At the same time, one could argue that Charles Nelson Reilly could have coached the Showtime era Lakers -among other examples - to multiple championships.

In the end, talent alone usually wins out.

Assembly Hall
02-24-2013, 11:26 AM
Sometimes it is plain and simple about timing. Would we be talking about Pat Riley after replacing Paul Westhead? Phil Jackson got his start after taking over the Bulls from Doug Collins. I dont know, I think there are a lot of great coaches out there......but a lot of times I just think it is an organizational fit based on what the organization wants to achieve and who they want roaming the sidelines.

improbus
02-24-2013, 11:37 AM
When it comes to Popovich specifically, he is a brilliant coach. But, his situation has allowed him to be extraordinary. Here is an example.

Last season, the Spurs were playing the Mavs and they were down big late in the 3rd quarter. Pop brought in the bench, as he does when his team is down big. He does this for two reasons. First, he wanted to rest his older players. Second, he rewards his secondary players by making them the first options on offense every once in a while. So, with the backups and lesser players in, the Spurs made a furious comeback. And, any other coach would have brought the starters back in to try to finish the game. But, Pop rewarded his secondary players and left the game in their hands. The game ended up going to overtime and still he kept Duncan and Parker (Manu was hurt) on the bench. The Spurs ended up losing the game, but the Pop did something truly unique in leaving the game in the hands of the backups.

Now, that was a great move by Pop. It is one of the reasons his teams are always so deep. He gives his secondary players minutes and he even allowed them to be the stars for once. But, here is the catch and here is why Pop can do that. Duncan and Parker were on the bench cheering every play like the bench guys do. New imagine Carmelo, Kobe, Michael Jordan, Shaq, or almost any other superstar letting that happen. Kobe would have simply subbed himself in with a few minutes left if the game was on the line. Duncan allows Popovich to truly coach the team the way he feels fit and thus Pop gets a ton of credit for his brilliance.

jmac
02-24-2013, 11:46 AM
I not saying PJ is better or worst than Pops. They are two of the greatest coaches ever. I don't know how anyone could say either way. Unless they had the exact same players.
Niether was I. I was merely stating you dont hear Greg P's name mentioned alot though he is getting more respect. Duncan has been an anchor for that franchise for years but I was also saying when you hear talk of the "greatest" players of all-time, you usually have 3 debated : Lebron-Kobe- and of course MJ. PJ had 2 of those to put with his resume.
What has always impressed me about Pops is even when his team had injurys (whether Duncan,Ginobli or whoever), his teams always seem to stay competitive.
As stated in the more recent posts, many times in NBA, it is who you have. Cal, can recruit # 1 classes in college but in the NBA, if he went to the Raptors, he basically is stuck with who he has.
Alot of NBA coaches are good coaches in bad situations so their talent goes unseen. Yet if you put Spolstra (?) on the Wizzards, would they be any better ? Doubtful.
Teams like the Warriors, Pacers, Grizzlies are nice stories for this NBA season.
I imagine most fans couldnt even list 2 of 3 coaches on those teams. Personally, I know Mark Jackson but couldnt tell you the other 2.
Probably when time comes for Coach of the year, it will be a big time coach, like ES or Brooks etc.
RBA, I only quoted you on the first in regards to myself not meaning Pops was better than PJ, just has been under rated over the years. The rest are my thoughts on NBA coaching.

Revering4Blue
03-23-2013, 08:58 PM
Sad news.

Former Knicks point guard Ray Williams dies of cancer.

Williams was the No. 10 pick in the 1977 draft out of Minnesota and he played his first four seasons in New York (much of it next to Michael Ray Richardson). Williams was a good defender who averaged 15.5 points a game for his career. In addition to New York he had stints with the Nets, (then Kansas City) Kings, Celtics, Hawks and Spurs.

However, after his playing days things fell apart for the man known as “Sugar Ray” and he ended up homeless and living out of his car. It was a sad story.

Knicks coach Mike Woodson spoke about Williams to the New York Post.

“He was awesome,” Woodson told The Post recently. “Physical. Tough. Knew how to play. He was a prototype combo guard because he can play 1, he could play 2 and could guard the 3 because he was so physical. To see him in the hospital like that you don’t wish that on anyone. That’s why we should be fortunate we can walk around and laugh.”

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/22/former-knicks-point-guard-ray-williams-dies-of-cancer/#comments

Mutaman
03-24-2013, 12:47 AM
Tough news about Ray Williams. He was a good one and that's way too young. Ray was was from Mt Vernon, NY , a town which has produced some good ball players including Ray's brother Gus, Earl Tatum, Ben Gordon, Kevin Jones, Rudy Hackett, and Scooter and Rodney McCray.

Revering4Blue
03-28-2013, 01:59 PM
Well, the Heat's winning streak had to end some time. Lost in the shuffle is the fact that the Heat won several games in that span with Wade and others injured.

That has to account for something.

Scrap Irony
03-28-2013, 02:32 PM
Are the Heat as good now as Jordan's Bulls?

Mutaman
03-28-2013, 02:47 PM

Come see me after they win 3 or 4 more championships.

Hats off to Jimmy Butler for a big time game last night. Butler was Buzz' first recruit at Marquette and he was on nobody's radar at the time. His development has been really impressive.

Revering4Blue
03-28-2013, 02:58 PM
It depends on which Bulls Championship team.

As good as the '96 Bulls, who won 72 games in a watered-down double expansion year?

Yes - especially when matched up against teams without strong low post presences.

As good as the early 90's Bulls with Grant and Cartwright, who actually provided more than
matador defense down low?

Doubtful. But not many teams in the modern (three-point shot) era were/are.

jmac
03-31-2013, 09:22 PM
Miami without James/Wade win at SA , pretty much gaining home court thru playoffs.

texasdave
04-06-2013, 06:23 AM
Houston Rockets' magic number is two. It has been awhile but I think they are playoff bound.

texasdave
04-11-2013, 08:51 PM
Davis, 20, averaged 13.5 points, 8.2 rebounds, 1.8 blocks, 1.2 steals and 1 assist in 28.8 minutes per game as a rookie. He made 64 appearances this season, missing time due to an ankle injury, a shoulder sprain and a concussion. Despite those injuries, he currently ranks second among all qualified rookies with a Player Efficiency Rating (PER) of 21.8, trailing only Pistons center Andre Drummond.

Solid rookie season for Davis. And how did Andre Drummond ever last until the ninth pick?

Mutaman
04-12-2013, 03:38 PM
Congatulations to Jimmy Butler for his big time performance last night- 22 points, 14 rebs, and great defense on Carmelo as Bulls end another big winning streak

Jimmy is a good guy and a workhorse. Kudos to Buzz Williams for a great job in developing this kid.

RBA
04-13-2013, 01:39 AM
Kobe, probable torn achilles. Long recovery process likely. Retirement?

Stray
04-13-2013, 01:56 AM
That sucks. Playing him 48 minutes a night and asking him to carry the team was absurd to begin with.

And nah I doubt he'll retire, doesn't seem like the kinda guy who'll go out on an injury.

texasdave
05-01-2013, 08:24 PM
Damon Lilliard is a unanimous choice for Rookie of the Year.