PDA

View Full Version : Toronto and Miami blockbuster trade

HometownHero
11-13-2012, 06:36 PM
With almost every single player making money in Miami heading north, more to come.

HometownHero
11-13-2012, 06:38 PM
Some of these names my not make it end the end but the talk of now is..

Reyes, Johnson, Bonifacio, Buck, Buehrle
for
Escobar, Hechavarria, H. Alvarez, Nicolino

HometownHero
11-13-2012, 06:41 PM
I would hate to be new Miami manager Mike Redmond but the Toronto job just got way more appealing.

LexRedsFan
11-13-2012, 06:45 PM
Pretty sure the Blue Jays just acquired the Marlins. Like, bought the entire franchise.

HometownHero
11-13-2012, 06:47 PM
Pretty sure the Blue Jays just acquired the Marlins. Like, bought the entire franchise.

Buying the franchise may have been cheaper lol.

MoneyInTheBank
11-13-2012, 06:47 PM
Bryan Price dodged a HUGE bullet not taking the Marlins job

HometownHero
11-13-2012, 06:53 PM
I wonder where John Buck will end up next. Miami wanted to dump him because they added Rob Brantly from the Tigers in trade last year and Toronto already has J.P. Arencibia.

MoneyInTheBank
11-13-2012, 06:56 PM
Some of these names my not make it end the end but the talk of now is..

Reyes, Johnson, Bonifacio, Buck, Buehrle
for
Escobar, Hechavarria, H. Alvarez, Nicolino

MLBTradeRumors is reporting Marisnick will be headed to Miami also

Alpha Zero
11-13-2012, 07:00 PM
The Marlins are a joke of a franchise. This deal will annihilate whatever fanbase they have left.

HometownHero
11-13-2012, 07:05 PM
Arencibia or another catcher may be heading to Miami as well now

HometownHero
11-13-2012, 07:06 PM
Giancarlo Stanton tweeted this...

Alright, I'm pissed off!!! Plain & Simple

MoneyInTheBank
11-13-2012, 07:08 PM
I apologize if I'm insulting anyone's intelligence here but the prospects Miami will be receiving are the #2, #5 & #8 in Toronto's organization according to Baseball America. Alvarez appears to be no more than a back of the rotation guy and Escobar is a boom or bust guy at SS.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I feel like they could have done better by trading these guys individually.

dubc47834
11-13-2012, 07:09 PM
This franchise is a joke. They got their stadium and now they are conducting a firesale. Loria should not be allowed to own ANYTHING

MoneyInTheBank
11-13-2012, 07:10 PM
Arencibia or another catcher may be heading to Miami as well now

If they got Arencibia, I would feel better about the return for the Marlins

NeilHamburger
11-13-2012, 07:18 PM
Now we know why Bryan Price pulled out of the deal:

From Jim Bowden on ESPN:

"A source close to Mike Redmond confirmed he knew this was the plan before he accepted the position."

They must have told the candidates going in what the plan was this offseason. It makes sense now why Price withdrew his name after meeting with them.

WDE
11-13-2012, 07:37 PM
Wow. That is crazy considering everybody was riding the bandwagon just 7 months ago. Now, they are back to where they have been for a while now. Wonder how the new stadium will look with all the empty seats now.

Stray
11-13-2012, 07:51 PM
This is an embarrassment to baseball to be honest.

HometownHero
11-13-2012, 07:53 PM
If these young players pan out and they keep Stanton and then reinvest the money to play around them they could be good quick, but FA are going to start demanding NTC to sign there like Pujols did.

PumpFak3First
11-13-2012, 08:11 PM
This franchise is a joke. They got their stadium and now they are conducting a firesale. Loria should not be allowed to own ANYTHING

I wouldn't say they are a joke. It's just what the Marlins do, salary dump, get mad prospects and build from within. It's risky but what a small market team like the Marlins has to do to compete. They have 2 chips in the past 15 years and you can't argue with that, but it was a shady move doing this after getting that new stadium which they only had to pay a ridiculously small fraction of their own money for.

http://i.imgur.com/9YuzP.png

Stray
11-13-2012, 08:14 PM
lol

http://deadspin.com/5960332/the-miami-marlins-are-a-hilarious-disgrace

HometownHero
11-13-2012, 08:16 PM
Jon Morosi

The deal, unofficially: Johnson, Buehrle, Reyes, Bonifacio, Buck for Escobar, Hechavarria, Alvarez, Nicolino, Marisnick, Mathis, DeSclafani.

Salukifan2
11-13-2012, 08:16 PM
How can Bud Selig actually approve such BS. This is just another reason why the NFL is so much more successful than the MLB. They force their teams to try to win every year. This trade is a farce.

The Marlins are the most embarrassing franchise in sports and this just adds to it. They build a ridiculous ballpark in terms of dimensions and gimmicks, bring in the communist Guillen to manage, and sign over 100 mil in new payroll and its all gone after 1 disappointing season. Absolutely embarrassing.

Can MLB please do what needs to be done, move the two florida teams to one of the many destinations that would support them better and just leave florida for spring training?

dubc47834
11-13-2012, 08:52 PM
I wouldn't say they are a joke. It's just what the Marlins do, salary dump, get mad prospects and build from within. It's risky but what a small market team like the Marlins has to do to compete. They have 2 chips in the past 15 years and you can't argue with that, but it was a shady move doing this after getting that new stadium which they only had to pay a ridiculously small fraction of their own money for.

http://i.imgur.com/9YuzP.png

I will have to disagree with you man. Yes in the past they have been very successful using the firesale...this is different. This time they sold the fans on we are gonna try...we are gonna sign big name free agents. All in trying to fill that stadium...the team didnt do so hot so after a year they get rid of everyone. Ithink Pujols saw this coming, thats why he wanted the no trade clause. Everything i have seen so far points to this franchise being run by clowns.

PumpFak3First
11-13-2012, 09:34 PM
I will have to disagree with you man. Yes in the past they have been very successful using the firesale...this is different. This time they sold the fans on we are gonna try...we are gonna sign big name free agents. All in trying to fill that stadium...the team didnt do so hot so after a year they get rid of everyone. Ithink Pujols saw this coming, thats why he wanted the no trade clause. Everything i have seen so far points to this franchise being run by clowns.

That's why I said it was shady business wise what they did to pull the rug like that. It's in my post. They made the taxpayers pay for this expensive stadium on their dime and then pulled out. That's the biggest crime. If it weren't for the new stadium it wouldn't be so bad, that is what makes it really bad and out of line and a smack in the face to their fans.

Hondo
11-13-2012, 09:48 PM
I still wish the Reds would have broke the bank with Reyes last year... I think the Reds would've crushed 100 Wins and Went to the World Series if they would've had a legit lead-off man like Reyes...

webbbj
11-13-2012, 09:50 PM
Its not like this team was a contender w/ this roster. they lost 93 games w/ these players. they got a ton of payroll relief.

now they probably wont use it this offseason. but they got rid of a lot of bad contracts, got some prospects and when the time is right, money to spend.

Hondo
11-13-2012, 09:55 PM
Its not like this team was a contender w/ this roster. they lost 93 games w/ these players. they got a ton of payroll relief.

now they probably wont use it this offseason. but they got rid of a lot of bad contracts, got some prospects and when the time is right, money to spend.

I don't mind Miami trading Johnson and Buck, but to trade Bell, Buehrle, & Reyes 1 year after getting them was a joke...

I am no Selig fan, but I hope he voids this trade for the good of baseball.

RedTruck
11-13-2012, 10:06 PM
What a clown of a trade.

Miami is a joke of an organization and should be relocated immediately imo. It's plain and clear that florida has no interest in supporting there teams..

That said it'll be really cool to see a GOOD Toronto team for once. As someone who loves the city, I really hope they compete instead of being just medicore for so many years

Redsfansince72
11-13-2012, 10:19 PM
Stanton is angry about the trade.. Hmmm could the Reds pull something off to get him and have him bat 4th??

The DARK
11-13-2012, 10:23 PM
I wouldn't be surprised to see some legal action against Loria come out of this from the city of Miami. They may end up with expensive vacant baseball stadium on that property (not that it isn't going to be vacant anyway), and this whole thing smells of corruption and fraud. It's worse than anything Mike Brown ever did.

On the other hand, the Marlins do get decent $/WAR value. Given the negative value of a lot of those contracts, they're lucky they even managed to find someone to dump them on, let alone get value out of. Doesn't change the fact that before long there may not even be a team in Miami anymore.

HometownHero
11-13-2012, 10:26 PM
Stanton is angry about the trade.. Hmmm could the Reds pull something off to get him and have him bat 4th??

Everyone has already called them about him and they've said no.

RedTruck
11-13-2012, 10:30 PM
Everyone has already called them about him and they've said no.

If the price is right the answer can always be changed.

HometownHero
11-13-2012, 10:41 PM
If the price is right the answer can always be changed.

That goes for anyone but nobody is going to overpay that bad for him.

webbbj
11-14-2012, 08:07 AM
I don't mind Miami trading Johnson and Buck, but to trade Bell, Buehrle, & Reyes 1 year after getting them was a joke...

I am no Selig fan, but I hope he voids this trade for the good of baseball.

they were all bad contracts to begin with and many pple here have said the same when they were made. The team lost 93 games with these guys. It would be one thing if they were contenders and traded away these contracts/players but they never built anything w/ them in the 1st place.

DannyB
11-14-2012, 08:27 AM
If I got transfered to a foreign country I would be a bit pissed.Those guys are going to get killed on income taxes.

dubc47834
11-14-2012, 09:17 AM
That's why I said it was shady business wise what they did to pull the rug like that. It's in my post. They made the taxpayers pay for this expensive stadium on their dime and then pulled out. That's the biggest crime. If it weren't for the new stadium it wouldn't be so bad, that is what makes it really bad and out of line and a smack in the face to their fans.

That's exactly why I said they are a joke. The whole franchise is....:beerme:

Old NDN
11-14-2012, 09:39 AM
That goes for anyone but nobody is going to overpay that bad for him.

Would you give up Chapman for him? Maybe throw in Stubbs and Leake?

dubc47834
11-14-2012, 10:17 AM

There is no way the Marlins do that deal...well no way they do it if they had a normal GM anyway. Stanton is 1 of the few guys I would include Hamilton in on a deal. Stanton would hit them in the Ohio at GABP.

19braves77
11-14-2012, 12:19 PM
The Marlins have a 7 year clause they cant leave Miami and Loaria cant sell the team until then but I would imagine that my kids in 2020 will be watching MLB without two teams in Florida. No way Tampa gets their stadium funded and Selig has always been about protecting the brand. It just takes so long with MLB because of the tight knit ownership group.

For a trade, its seems the Marlins want to package players so Reds would probably have to take Ricky Nolasco also for Stanton with cask sent to the Marlins.

sammonator
11-14-2012, 01:52 PM
they were all bad contracts to begin with and many pple here have said the same when they were made. The team lost 93 games with these guys. It would be one thing if they were contenders and traded away these contracts/players but they never built anything w/ them in the 1st place.

Agreed!

HometownHero
11-14-2012, 03:21 PM

Its still not enough. Stanton is the hottest commodity in baseball. Its going to take a massive package to get him out of Miami. The bare minimum would be a cheap established MLB player, 2 Top-50 prospects and another young MLB ready player with high upside and that's to get them to listen.

He has the most pop in baseball and just turned 23 the sky's the limit with Stanton and he is going to get paid the league minimum next year. They would need to get absolutely blown away to move him and nobody can honestly afford to pay the price.