PDA

View Full Version : Ichiro?

Vottomatic
12-01-2012, 09:56 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/ichiros-patience-snaps-yankees-report-105053248--mlb.html

Ichiro's patience snaps with Yankees: report
Reuters 3 hrs ago.

Japanese outfielder Ichiro Suzuki has lost patience with the New York Yankees over a contract extension and has begun talking with other teams, his agent said on Friday. (snipped)

He will never come to the Reds, and I don't think I'd want it to happen. But playing Devil's Advocate here...........who better to train Billy Hamilton to be a leadoff hitter and consummate professional?

I doubt he can play CF though.

It wouldn't work. But it might be interesting though.

Tom Servo
12-01-2012, 09:59 AM
No chance it happens. Ichiro isn't coming to the midwest.

jojo
12-01-2012, 11:14 AM
The thread title is misspelled. It should be Ichiro!

mattfeet
12-01-2012, 11:47 AM
Id be all about Ichiro for 1-2 years. Why would that not be a good option? He still put up very good numbers last year. He might be old, but he has showed hardly any signs of slowing down. He is a MUCH better option than some reclamation projects I've seen tossed around on this site.

-Matt

westofyou
12-01-2012, 12:22 PM
Isn't one who needs to use an interpreter to pass on more details really not someone you'd expect to be a teacher?

http://sportspressnw.com/2011/03/english-will-remain-ichiros-second-language/

jojo
12-01-2012, 12:30 PM
Isn't one who needs to use an interpreter to pass on more details really not someone you'd expect to be a teacher?

http://sportspressnw.com/2011/03/english-will-remain-ichiros-second-language/

Ichiro! teaches through love and music, both are universal languages.

Ichiro! fire cool,
Flight of the bird flowers hue,
Ichiro! Teach,Be.

Reds/Flyers Fan
12-01-2012, 01:15 PM
No chance it happens. Ichiro isn't coming to the midwest.

Says who? This isn't exactly Gothenburg, Neb., here.

Red in Chicago
12-01-2012, 06:17 PM
I loathe Ichiro. Keep him far away.

lollipopcurve
12-01-2012, 06:29 PM
One of my favorite players to watch. Truly unique. But I strongly doubt he'd come to Cincy. Could see the Cubs, Giants and the Mets making a run at him. Red Sox too.

Roy Tucker
12-01-2012, 08:08 PM
Ichiro and Billy Hamilton would be the ultimate Felix and Oscar. Not sure what their lingua franca would be.

Just don't see it.

mattfeet
12-01-2012, 08:58 PM
I loathe Ichiro. Keep him far away.

May I ask why?

Red in Chicago
12-01-2012, 10:11 PM
May I ask why?

Honestly, no real logical reason. If he came up as a Red years ago, I'm sure I would have been a fan. However, he came up with the M's and I don't like slap hitters when they play for other ball clubs. Slap hitters make you feel like they're getting cheap hits and who doesn't get annoyed by that.

While he may have had the power to boost his slugging percentage in the past, the fact is that he didn't.

Baseball Reference lists Willie McGee and Kenny Lofton as two recent players that match up closely to him. Obviously, I didn't like them either.

That said, you'll also notice Ken Griffey Sr. matched up closely and I loved him. Difference being, Griffey started out as a Red. Much easier for me to appreciate that style of play if he's one of our own.

All because a player is good, doesn't mean you have to like them or their game.

paulrichjr
12-01-2012, 11:18 PM
When the Yanks made the deal to get him I honestly thought it was a brilliant move and could not understand why the Reds weren't players. If I'm not mistaken a big time player wasn't given up for him and he would have given Dusty a real leadoff hitter in CF so that he wouldn't have had to "think" about who should be penciled in there. You know CF=leadoff...

Tom Servo
12-01-2012, 11:29 PM
When the Yanks made the deal to get him I honestly thought it was a brilliant move and could not understand why the Reds weren't players.
Because Ichiro gave the Mariners a list of teams he was interested in being traded to and he could have vetoed a trade to the Reds, and almost certainly would have.

Vottomatic
12-02-2012, 01:36 AM
Honestly, no real logical reason. If he came up as a Red years ago, I'm sure I would have been a fan. However, he came up with the M's and I don't like slap hitters when they play for other ball clubs. Slap hitters make you feel like they're getting cheap hits and who doesn't get annoyed by that.

While he may have had the power to boost his slugging percentage in the past, the fact is that he didn't.

Baseball Reference lists Willie McGee and Kenny Lofton as two recent players that match up closely to him. Obviously, I didn't like them either.

That said, you'll also notice Ken Griffey Sr. matched up closely and I loved him. Difference being, Griffey started out as a Red. Much easier for me to appreciate that style of play if he's one of our own.

All because a player is good, doesn't mean you have to like them or their game.

I wish Stubbs had been a .300 hitting slap hitter. :thumbup:

indy_dave00
12-02-2012, 01:48 AM
Probably one of the oddest facts I've noticed over the years; Ichiro is a .322 career hitter ; Adam Dunn is a .240 career hitter. Yet Dunn still has a higher on base pct. .370 to .364 for their careers.

CySeymour
12-02-2012, 10:36 AM
I doubt it would happen, but I like the outside the box thinking.

I(heart)Freel
12-02-2012, 10:10 PM
I've been advocating for this idea all off season...

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2773744#post2773744

marcshoe
12-02-2012, 11:38 PM
Ichiro is unique. I've never seen anyone handle a bat like he did (admittedly I only saw Wee Willie Keeper play once or twice, both times in dreams.) I'm not sure he would be the best teacher for Hamilton, who couldn't get by as easily while avoiding walks.

RedsManRick
12-02-2012, 11:40 PM
I'd enjoy watching Ichiro, I know that. And he still plays a quality OF. I'd prefer him to a low OBP, good power guy like Heisey.

cinreds21
12-02-2012, 11:41 PM
I don't know why someone wouldn't want him here for a one or two-year deal. The Reds want someone to leadoff, well, it doesn't get much better than Ichiro.

M2
12-07-2012, 12:51 PM
I had unfairly considered Ichiro to be in steep decline prior to last year's trade. I didn't take into account how pernicious Safeco is. The fact that Ichiro hit for average in that park for a decade is astounding. Finally in 2011 and 2012 the park got the better of him. Yet it seems like he still has the skills to hit in non-post-apocalyptic setting. Could he be had for less than Ludwick is asking?

Scrap Irony
12-07-2012, 01:03 PM
The question is whether he's willing to play in Cincinnati. If he is, I'd be happy with him in the OF. I'd love to see the Reds sign Ichiro, deal for Fowler, and put up an all obp lineup with three CF in the outfield.

Fowler CF
Ichiro LF
Votto 1B
Frazier 3B
Bruce RF
Phillips 2B
Hanigan C
Cozart SS

Some would rail about that lineup's lack of power, but 175 HR among them isn't out of the question at all. Ichiro might get 10 in a smaller park like the GAB.

mattfeet
12-07-2012, 01:20 PM
Thatd be an awesome lineup! Can you imagine TWO good OBP guys in front of Votto? Wow.

M2
12-07-2012, 01:39 PM
The question is whether he's willing to play in Cincinnati. If he is, I'd be happy with him in the OF. I'd love to see the Reds sign Ichiro, deal for Fowler, and put up an all obp lineup with three CF in the outfield.

Fowler CF
Ichiro LF
Votto 1B
Frazier 3B
Bruce RF
Phillips 2B
Hanigan C
Cozart SS

Some would rail about that lineup's lack of power, but 175 HR among them isn't out of the question at all. Ichiro might get 10 in a smaller park like the GAB.

Man, do I like that lineup. Nice mix of HR, XBH, OB, BA, speed and defense.

wally post
12-07-2012, 01:42 PM
I can't imagine Ichiro coming to Cincy or any other midwestern city, but yep - that is GREAT.

klw
12-07-2012, 06:17 PM
Thatd be an awesome lineup! Can you imagine TWO good OBP guys in front of Votto? Wow.

Ichiro's OBP the last two years is .310 and .307. I don't know that he still qualifies as a good OBP guy.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/s/suzukic01.shtml

RedEye
12-07-2012, 10:44 PM
Ichiro's OBP the last two years is .310 and .307. I don't know that he still qualifies as a good OBP guy.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/s/suzukic01.shtml

Small sample size, but it did spike to .340 once he went to the Yankees. Some of the low OBP might have had something to do with motivation, no?

M2
12-07-2012, 10:53 PM
Small sample size, but it did spike to .340 once he went to the Yankees. Some of the low OBP might have had something to do with motivation, no?

Ballpark was an even bigger factor. His Safeco OB in 2011 was .296 and in 2012 it was .259.

RedEye
12-07-2012, 10:56 PM
Ballpark was an even bigger factor. His Safeco OB in 2011 was .296 and in 2012 it was .259.

Good point. In any case, I would think Ichiro has one or two useful seasons still ahead of him. I would not be disappointed if Walt goes this route.

Phhhl
12-08-2012, 12:56 AM
I am a huge Ichiro fan. To have him at any point in his career would be an honor for any ballclub. I think he could handle center on a part time basis in a cozy ballpark like GABP, and be a perfect bridge to Hamilton. I love this idea.