PDA

View Full Version : Rich Harden & Brandon Webb

corkedbat
12-02-2012, 10:47 PM
Both are going to try to pitch in 2013. Any interest in taking a minor league flier on either of them?

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/12/rich-harden-brandon-webbto-pitch-in-2013.html

Nathan
12-02-2012, 10:59 PM
Minor league flier? Sure. Any confidence in anything coming out of it? Nope. Shoulder problems are usually a career killer, especially after you've been fighting it for 4/5 years.

Wonderful Monds
12-02-2012, 11:59 PM
If Webb gets a minor league contract, I would put money on it that it's with the Reds.

Wouldn't mind having both as depth. These are the guys you catch lightning in a bottle with, and the more of them you get, better chance you have of catching lightning.

Plus a Louisville rotation of...

Cingrani
Corcino
Harden
Webb
Redmond

Might win a ML title, couldn't hurt to throw them a bone.

Dan
12-03-2012, 05:49 AM
If Webb gets a minor league contract, I would put money on it that it's with the Reds.

Wouldn't mind having both as depth. These are the guys you catch lightning in a bottle with, and the more of them you get, better chance you have of catching lightning.

Plus a Louisville rotation of...

Cingrani
Corcino
Harden
Webb
Redmond

Might win a ML title, couldn't hurt to throw them a bone.

As a fan base we have to get out of this "lightning in a bottle" mentality. That's Jim Bowden's long term influence at work. How about bringing in as many quality guys as we can find instead of wasting resources on long shot reclamation projects?

Superdude
12-03-2012, 06:02 AM
As a fan base we have to get out of this "lightning in a bottle" mentality. That's Jim Bowden's long term influence at work. How about bringing in ass many quality guys as we can find instead of wasting resources on long shot reclamation projects?

Until we have unlimited resources, I don't see why it's a bad thing to do. Brandon Phillips worked out pretty well as a lightning in a bottle guy.

Griffey012
12-03-2012, 07:08 AM
As a fan base we have to get out of this "lightning in a bottle" mentality. That's Jim Bowden's long term influence at work. How about bringing in ass many quality guys as we can find instead of wasting resources on long shot reclamation projects?

Maybe at best in the middle of the season we get 5-6 decent starts from Harden when someone else goes on the DL. If we even get that, the longshot is a win for us. No reason not to take fliers regardless of how good the team is.

RedlegJake
12-03-2012, 08:20 AM
A minor league deal isn't "lightning in a bottle". Every system has spots open for guys like that. Depth vets or AAAA players "in case". Difference is whether you are pinning hopes on their resurrection or not.

Crumbley
12-03-2012, 09:21 AM
Whose spot are they taking?

mdccclxix
12-03-2012, 10:02 AM
Lightning in a bottle when it's a former Cy Young is different than most other players.

Caveman Techie
12-03-2012, 10:07 AM
Yeah, I wouldn't mind taking a flyer on Webb. Always had a soft spot in my heart for him.

_Sir_Charles_
12-03-2012, 10:30 AM
As a fan base we have to get out of this "lightning in a bottle" mentality. That's Jim Bowden's long term influence at work. How about bringing in as many quality guys as we can find instead of wasting resources on long shot reclamation projects?

The difference is that Bowden's "LIAB" longshots got major league jobs. I see nothing wrong with giving guys a shot in the minors to see how it works out.

PuffyPig
12-03-2012, 03:30 PM

The Cards used the "lightening in a bottle" mentality of rehabbing Chris Carperter after he was released by the Blue Jays.

RedsManRick
12-03-2012, 08:55 PM
The difference is that Bowden's "LIAB" longshots got major league jobs. I see nothing wrong with giving guys a shot in the minors to see how it works out.

Exactly. Bringing in the LIAB long-shot to give it a run as the #3 starter in Louisville is bringing them in to be your #3 starter in Cincinnati.

Wonderful Monds
12-04-2012, 03:02 AM
Maybe at best in the middle of the season we get 5-6 decent starts from Harden when someone else goes on the DL. If we even get that, the longshot is a win for us. No reason not to take fliers regardless of how good the team is.

My thoughts exactly. If the Reds are putting Chapman in the rotation and potentially trading a SP, they need good depth. These guys could be that in Louisville. If they are healthy and can pitch some still (and I'm assuming they would be in order to be signed in the first place), they would be better depth than Redmond. Plus, they could potentially be traded for a good prospect if they really pan out well.