PDA

View Full Version : Shane Shane Shane

texasdave
12-03-2012, 01:35 PM
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/12/indians-have-serious-interest-in-victorino.html

Victorino has multiple three-year offers on the table, and even a four-year offer, according to Jon Heyman of CBS Sport.

Victorino is believed to be seeking a three-year deal worth about $10MM annually, says Laube.

The Indians were one of seven teams said to be interested in Victorino as of last Monday, though their interest wasn't classified as any more serious than the other clubs' at that point. The Rangers, Yankees, Giants, Rays, Red Sox and Reds were the other teams mentioned as potential suitors, with Jon Heyman of CBS Sports noting that multiple clubs were willing to offer three years.

And the Benjamins flowed like wine. I'd pass at those terms.

webbbj
12-03-2012, 01:52 PM
id be willin to give 3 yrs but not at 10m per. Pass. I do worry that overpaying broxton will cost us decent OF upgrade.

TSJ55
12-03-2012, 02:15 PM
id be willin to give 3 yrs but not at 10m per. Pass. I do worry that overpaying broxton will cost us decent OF upgrade.

I'm not a Victorino fan to begin with, so 10m/year seems crazy to me. I just don't think he has anything left in the tank. Of course, I reserve the right to be wrong.

As for Broxton, at least we didn't pay him by the pound.

HometownHero
12-03-2012, 05:24 PM
These guys are getting paid this year.

texasdave
12-03-2012, 05:51 PM
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/12/giants-reach-agreement-with-angel-pagan.html

Angel Pagan stays in the Bay Area by re-upping with the Giants. 4-years, 40 million.

MoneyInTheBank
12-03-2012, 06:33 PM
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/12/giants-reach-agreement-with-angel-pagan.html

Angel Pagan stays in the Bay Area by re-upping with the Giants. 4-years, 40 million.

This is not good news for the market as it relates to the Reds. Another CF need is filled but this overpay, combined with the fact that Victorino and Bourn can use Pagan as a comparable player is not good. It would really take the market drying up now to make either of them affordable for the Reds.

JayBruceFan
12-03-2012, 07:57 PM
With Hamilton being as close to the show as he appears to be, I don't see any big name FA CF signing with us because of the lack of assured playing time past this season.

If we didn't have Hamilton knocking on the door, I think we already have a CF signed and ready to go.

DocRed
12-03-2012, 08:09 PM
$10 million for 3 years? AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA....next

malcontent
12-03-2012, 09:02 PM
I share that concern. Losing Ludwick and staying on the Stubbs K-Express could mean many fewer games to save in the first place.

dMaus14
12-03-2012, 09:24 PM
I think with the Nationals trading for Span, BUpton going to the Braves for a ridiculous amount of money, and Pagan re-signing with the Giants is good for the Redlegs. The Phillies are the only team really needing a CF and they will over pay for one either in trade terms with Fowler or in $$ with Bourn / Victorino. Personally, I think this is a good thing.

MoneyInTheBank
12-03-2012, 09:33 PM
I think with the Nationals trading for Span, BUpton going to the Braves for a ridiculous amount of money, and Pagan re-signing with the Giants is good for the Redlegs. The Phillies are the only team really needing a CF and they will over pay for one either in trade terms with Fowler or in $$ with Bourn / Victorino. Personally, I think this is a good thing.

Are you thinking that because of the ridiculous deals for Upton and Pagan that Victorino and Bourn will be asking for too much and eventually settle for 1 year deals to try again next season?

texasdave
12-03-2012, 09:44 PM
Are you thinking that because of the ridiculous deals for Upton and Pagan that Victorino and Bourn will be asking for too much and eventually settle for 1 year deals to try again next season?

I think the TV money is causing salaries to go up and these may not be ridiculous deals when we look back on things. You would have to think that if the Reds could shell out around 300 million last winter that the other teams have money to spend as well.

texasdave
12-03-2012, 09:58 PM

If the rumors are true there are a lot of teams interested in Victorino. MLBtraderumors has it that the Red Sox are comfortable with a three-year deal for Victorino. With all that interest he will likely get nearly what he wants. If I were in Victorino's shoes I wouldn't roll the dice on a one-year pact. Not at his age.

dMaus14
12-03-2012, 10:46 PM
He has 3 and 4 year deal offers but it obviously isn't they money he wants. My guess is he has offers in 3/$25M range.

Larkin88
12-03-2012, 11:51 PM
Victorino is, to me, easily the least attractive "upgrade" option for CF/LF and leadoff. Which would be all good and fine if he'd come with a deal proportionate to the player I personally view him as.

But 3/$30? You gotta be kitten me.

MoneyInTheBank
12-04-2012, 06:14 AM
If the rumors are true there are a lot of teams interested in Victorino. MLBtraderumors has it that the Red Sox are comfortable with a three-year deal for Victorino. With all that interest he will likely get nearly what he wants. If I were in Victorino's shoes I wouldn't roll the dice on a one-year pact. Not at his age.

I was asking the question. I don't believe it myself

MoneyInTheBank
12-04-2012, 06:26 AM
I think the TV money is causing salaries to go up and these may not be ridiculous deals when we look back on things. You would have to think that if the Reds could shell out around 300 million last winter that the other teams have money to spend as well.

Not every team has gotten that TV money yet. The Reds explained they were able to spend that money because they had been saving revenue sharing money. Maybe other teams are doing the same?

Larkin88
12-04-2012, 10:37 AM
Not every team has gotten that TV money yet. The Reds explained they were able to spend that money because they had been saving revenue sharing money. Maybe other teams are doing the same?

All the same, texasdave is mostly right, especially in terms of what will look "reasonable" even 5 years from now. All of these signings and long contracts are a symptom of the financial climate of baseball at the moment. And the financial climate in baseball right now is negotiating crazy big TV deals.

I do believe the Reds would not have been able to extend Votto or certainly not both Votto and BP without a renegotiation of their TV deal on the horizon in the next few years.

dMaus14
12-04-2012, 11:05 AM
I can't remember where I read it but the article said that part of the reason for extensions and the backloaded contracts is that Jocketty expects the payroll to be upward above $100M by 2014 because of the new TV deal.

texasdave
12-04-2012, 01:53 PM
Latest on Victorino:

Besides the Indians, other teams checking in on Victorino include the Red Sox, Cubs, and Yankees, says Crasnick (Twitter link). The Braves and Reds don't appear to be engaged in discussions, and the Phillies' interest is "tepid," according to the ESPN.com scribe.

Read more at http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/#x5BWf39eVyoDJGLT.99

MoneyInTheBank
12-04-2012, 05:24 PM
All the same, texasdave is mostly right, especially in terms of what will look "reasonable" even 5 years from now. All of these signings and long contracts are a symptom of the financial climate of baseball at the moment. And the financial climate in baseball right now is negotiating crazy big TV deals.

I do believe the Reds would not have been able to extend Votto or certainly not both Votto and BP without a renegotiation of their TV deal on the horizon in the next few years.

I don't disagree with that. I just think that at his current production, $15M is crazy for Upton in 1980 or 2020

texasdave
12-04-2012, 05:32 PM
Money flowing like wine. Geez. :eek:

The Red Sox remodeling project continued today, as they agreed to terms with Shane Victorino on a three-year, $37.5MM contract

Read more at http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/#ah2LFo2O1zLz6gG9.99

MoneyInTheBank
12-04-2012, 05:33 PM
Money flowing like wine. Geez. :eek:

Read more at http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/#ah2LFo2O1zLz6gG9.99

That is INSANE

HometownHero
12-04-2012, 05:51 PM
These prices are getting outrages and the cost of giving up a top prospect or cheap SP isn't much more appealing. With out payroll we aren't in position to do either for long term success.

Hondo
12-04-2012, 09:04 PM
Now you guys see what a Good Deal trading for Justin Upton would be!

joshua
12-05-2012, 10:45 AM
I just hope the Reds sign their new TV contract at the peak of the
market...if they stop dishing out this crazy money soon we could be screwed. I'm expecting they get anywhere between 75-100 million a year out of it if things continue the way they are now

Hondo
12-05-2012, 11:00 PM
The Reds dodged a bullet with this one!