Benihana
12-04-2012, 10:41 PM
Obviously most if not all of these would be mutually exclusive. In this order:

1. Gregorius, Leake, Cingrani, and Lutz for Justin Upton
2. Stubbs, Leake, and Lutz for Ellsbury
3. Heisey, Corcino and Lotzkar for Choo
4. Leake, Cingrani and Stubbs for Fowler
5. Bailey and Stubbs for Fowler and Pomeranz

Now tell me which one(s) of these are wildly unrealistic/one-sided.

AmarilloRed
12-04-2012, 10:48 PM
5 might be, if the Reds are going to offer Bailey a long term extension as Fay referenced. NM, I just saw Jocketty mentioned he hasn't discussed a LTC deal with Bailey.

camisadelgolf
12-04-2012, 11:04 PM

Where are the Reds going to get the money to pay for 1-3? The Rockies might be interested in something similar to #4, but Stubbs practically has negative value right now. #5 is an underpay, and I don't think your giving enough credit to how much Colorado likes Pomeranz.

Dom Heffner
12-04-2012, 11:08 PM
I don't think any team with access to baseballreference.com will be too interested in Drew Stubbs.

RedlegJake
12-04-2012, 11:16 PM
I don't think any team with access to baseballreference.com will be too interested in Drew Stubbs.

I am constantly amazed at how few execs seem to reference such stats wgeb making deals...Stubbs has tools...there are always Jimbos out there that won't see past his potential. Looking at sone of this winter's contracts I'm stunned. Ludwick at 2/14m for instance suddenly looks extremely attractive, even cheap.

paulrichjr
12-04-2012, 11:18 PM

So you think the Astros might be interested then?

cincrazy
12-04-2012, 11:52 PM
So you think the Astros might be interested then?

Hey now. They HAVE access to baseballreference.com. They just don't know HOW to access the site, that's all :).

mth123
12-05-2012, 05:26 AM

I like the Heisey, Corcino, Lotzkar package the best. I think Choo would be an awesome acquisition if he could be had for that. Not really wanting to deal any of the current 6 starters, Didi or Cingrani at this point.

hebroncougar
12-05-2012, 07:13 AM
Instead of any of the above, I'll take my chances this year plus the next three with these players and prospects. With, hopefully a healthy Joey Votto. I'm not make any trades unless its for an impact player that is proven at this point. I'd do a Stanton deal and that's about it.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

Benihana
12-05-2012, 08:05 AM
Instead of any of the above, I'll take my chances this year plus the next three with these players and prospects. With, hopefully a healthy Joey Votto. I'm not make any trades unless its for an impact player that is proven at this point. I'd do a Stanton deal and that's about it.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

So are you suggesting that none of the OF mentioned are "impact players that are proven"?

hebroncougar
12-05-2012, 08:20 AM
So are you suggesting that none of the OF mentioned are "impact players that are proven"?

Not enough to give up what you'd have to at this point. I don't trust Upton going forward, especially with that contract. Ellsbury can't stay healthy, and would only be here for one year (Boras client), Choo likewise (Boras client), and Fowler is nothing more than a Coors field creation (.700 OPS career on the road). So no, I wouldn't. I know some people are willing to take that risk, but I don't want a one year gamble on Ellsbury, or Choo, I don't want to tie up that money in Upton who is far, far from a sure thing. I think he's likely to go the way of his brother. I think the Reds are built for long term success with their pitching, especially with Corcino and Cingrani in the wings. They won 97 games last year with Stubbs in CF, and Votto playing on one leg for 1/2 the year. The pitching health won't hold again, but that's why I hold onto Corcino and Cingrani.

Vottomatic
12-05-2012, 08:28 AM

The problem is that Choo and Ellsbury are 1 year rentals, yet their current teams are wanting a kings ransom for them. And the Reds can probably not afford to sign either of them long term at this point. I'd be interested in Choo for LF if we could sign him to an extension.

Upton and Fowler are under reasonable control for a few more years. But again, both current teams want a kings ransom for them. Both are still young, Upton 25, Fowler 26, and their best years are probably ahead of them.

I think Bailey for Fowler is an overpay. I think Leake/Stubbs for Fowler would be more fair.

Upton is out of the picture at this point as the Reds have a near signing of Ludwick.

_Sir_Charles_
12-05-2012, 08:37 AM
Not enough to give up what you'd have to at this point. I don't trust Upton going forward, especially with that contract. Ellsbury can't stay healthy, and would only be here for one year (Boras client), Choo likewise (Boras client), and Fowler is nothing more than a Coors field creation (.700 OPS career on the road). So no, I wouldn't. I know some people are willing to take that risk, but I don't want a one year gamble on Ellsbury, or Choo, I don't want to tie up that money in Upton who is far, far from a sure thing. I think he's likely to go the way of his brother. I think the Reds are built for long term success with their pitching, especially with Corcino and Cingrani in the wings. They won 97 games last year with Stubbs in CF, and Votto playing on one leg for 1/2 the year. The pitching health won't hold again, but that's why I hold onto Corcino and Cingrani.

Agreed.

Now if an extension could be worked out at a non-payroll-breaking rate for Choo...I'd reconsider. But I don't see that happening unfortunately...because I think he'd be a perfect fit as a player.

LoganBuck
12-05-2012, 09:13 AM
My trade

Trevor Bauer for Didi.

CySeymour
12-05-2012, 09:14 AM
I honestly think the Red Sox hang up on the Reds if they call and offer that package for Ellsbury

Benihana
12-05-2012, 09:43 AM
My trade

Trevor Bauer for Didi.

I would do that in a SECOND. Problem is, they're reportedly talking about a Bauer-A.Cabrera deal, so I doubt DiDi would be enough.

Now if we could get Cabrera from Cleveland for some combo of Leake/Corcino/Cingrani and flip him and something else to Arizona for Upton and Bauer, that would be interesting!

Vottomatic
12-05-2012, 11:42 AM
My trade

Trevor Bauer for Didi.

I'd do that in a heartbeat. That's why Arizona wouldn't do it. LOL. :laugh:

RedEye
12-07-2012, 10:48 PM

I would probably do all of those except #5. I'd like Homer to stay a Red. A lot more excited about Upton, Choo or Fowler than I am about Ellsbury.

Vottomatic
12-09-2012, 11:06 AM

Kind of interesting, but even after the Winter Meetings, all those potential trade targets are still available.

I'm guessing Upton ends up in Texas.
Josh Hamilton ends up in Seattle, or a darkhorse might be the Yankees or Red Sox.
Ellsbury? I think he stays put. I think the BoSox want too much for him.
I haven't heard much about Choo, other than the Indians want too much for him considering he's a rental.

Fowler seems like the most obvious choice to be a Red since he's the only one we're hearing about. But then again, Walt plays things close to the vest, and maybe that's what he wants us to think, and something else for another target is brewing behind the scenes.

Benihana
12-09-2012, 11:21 AM
Kind of interesting, but even after the Winter Meetings, all those potential trade targets are still available.

I'm guessing Upton ends up in Texas.
Josh Hamilton ends up in Seattle, or a darkhorse might be the Yankees or Red Sox.
Ellsbury? I think he stays put. I think the BoSox want too much for him.
I haven't heard much about Choo, other than the Indians want too much for him considering he's a rental.

Fowler seems like the most obvious choice to be a Red since he's the only one we're hearing about. But then again, Walt plays things close to the vest, and maybe that's what he wants us to think, and something else for another target is brewing behind the scenes.

With Ludwick re-signing, Upton and Choo are out.

Question now becomes Ellsbury or Fowler- with the two other options being a trade for a lesser/platoon CF like DeJesus or de Aza; or the Madson-like one-year signing of Bourn.

Personally, I'd recalibrate these proposals like this (five trades I make now):

1. Leake, Stubbs and Barnhart for Fowler
2. Corcino and Stubbs for Ellsbury
3. Lotzkar and LaMarre for de Aza
4. Lotzkar and LaMarre for DeJesus
5. Sign Bourn (somewhat of a trade because we'd have to forfeit a pick, although we'd likely recoup a pick next year when he walks)

Benihana
12-11-2012, 04:41 PM
So I proposed Heisey, Corcino & Lotzkar for Choo in the OP of this thread a week ago today.

Would you rather trade that or Stubbs & Gregorius?

hebroncougar
12-11-2012, 05:17 PM
So I proposed Heisey, Corcino & Lotzkar for Choo in the OP of this thread a week ago today.

Would you rather trade that or Stubbs & Gregorius?

Heck yes. In a heartbeat. I don't want to give up any of our pitching depth.

RedEye
12-11-2012, 11:05 PM
My trade

Trevor Bauer for Didi.

The DBacks just did it -- except to the Indians!

corkedbat
12-12-2012, 12:05 AM
Today's deal sets up the 25-man pretty well for this season. Id' kie to see them take some of the surplus and bolster the organization for the future now. I'd particularly like to see them target a young corner OF and or 3B.

(As I said in the trade thread) I personally would offer the Red Sox Mike Leake for Bryce Brentz and I'd be willing to widen the deal a little if need be.

LoganBuck
12-12-2012, 06:34 AM
The DBacks just did it -- except to the Indians!

In the history of Redszone, is that the closest we have ever had to a trade prediction?

membengal
12-12-2012, 07:31 AM
LoganBuck, I believe you are the clear leader in the clubhouse. That's amazing.