PDA

View Full Version : Prediction Time - OF acquisition(s)

Benihana
12-06-2012, 09:44 PM
Now that the Winter Meetings have come and gone, and the Hot Stove season is about half over, make your prediction: What changes will be made between now and then? Who will be brought on board?

klw
12-06-2012, 09:50 PM
I'm going big and saying the Reds end up with Ludwick and Bourne on a one year deal.

Steve4192
12-06-2012, 09:54 PM
I'd love to see them sign Bourne and get a big-time bopper in LF, but I suspect Ludwick + a lefty platoon partner for Stubbs is what they'll end up doing.

marcshoe
12-06-2012, 11:17 PM
I voted for a lesser cf, but I'm thinking someone with more potential than Coco or DeJesus, like G Parra.

M2
12-06-2012, 11:56 PM
I'm going for the Hail Mary. What the Reds really want when their heads hit the pillow at night is Michael Bourn. I have no doubt of that. Bourn doesn't look like he's going to get a monster offer from a serious contender. Might as well take a short-term stab at glory with the Reds. The GAB stat padding also won't hurt in his quest for future earnings.

AtomicDumpling
12-07-2012, 07:33 PM
Ludwick + Alejandro De Aza

SirFelixCat
12-07-2012, 07:38 PM
I'm going big and saying the Reds end up with Ludwick and Bourne on a one year deal.

This was my thinking when I voted. Don't EXPECT it, but hoping for it.

corkedbat
12-07-2012, 08:27 PM
I'm thinking Ludwick and either De Aza, Parra, Dejesus or Crisp to split time with Stubbs/Heisey.

WVPacman
12-07-2012, 08:31 PM
Don't tell me i have to put up with stubbs again next year.after what he has done ever since he got here I figured he would have already been gone.

Steve4192
12-07-2012, 09:15 PM
Don't tell me i have to put up with stubbs again next year.after what he has done ever since he got here I figured he would have already been gone.

It's amazing how one bad season makes people forget everything that came before it. Stubbs was VERY good in 2009 & 2010, and was (barely) adequate in 2011. It's not his fault Dusty kept miscasting him as a leadoff man.

M2
12-07-2012, 11:33 PM
It's amazing how one bad season makes people forget everything that came before it. Stubbs was VERY good in 2009 & 2010, and was (barely) adequate in 2011. It's not his fault Dusty kept miscasting him as a leadoff man.

There's no hiding Stubbs vs. RHPs. Doesn't matter where you hit him. He had this problem in the minors and major league RHPs have figured out how to neuter him.

WVPacman
12-08-2012, 12:39 AM

the stubbs that i have watched strikeouts alot,swings for the fences thinking he is a power hitter.The most annoying is that he hardly ever uses his speed when batting.Its either a strikeout or a popup BUT I was glad to see him finally start bunting for hits last year.Its time for him to go get a fresh start some place else.

RedsManRick
12-08-2012, 02:04 AM
the stubbs that i have watched strikeouts alot,swings for the fences thinking he is a power hitter.The most annoying is that he hardly ever uses his speed when batting.Its either a strikeout or a popup BUT I was glad to see him finally start bunting for hits last year.Its time for him to go get a fresh start some place else.

Of the 7 Reds batters with more than 400 PA, Stubbs had the highest GB% (51% - Only Phillips is remotely close) and 3rd lowest IFFB% (infield fly ball rate). Meanwhile, his infield hit rate (infield hit per GB) and bunt hit rate (bunt hit per bunt) were below his career average.

The strikeouts are absolutely a problem, perhaps fatally so for his career. But he's also dropped a lot of power since 2010, when he put the ball in the air more frequently. And unless swing for the fences results in a lot more ground balls, your assessment doesn't seem to hold up.

Perhaps he does need a fresh start, but no matter where he goes, his route to a successful career is more likely by being more Curtis Granderson than Juan Pierre.

dougdirt
12-08-2012, 03:15 AM
Perhaps he does need a fresh start, but no matter where he goes, his route to a successful career is more likely by being more Curtis Granderson than Juan Pierre.

Stubbs did an interview with 1410 in Dayton today at Redsfest. One guy he brought up as an example of how he plays and who improved and was hoping to try similar things was Austin Jackson. In 2010 Jackson struck out 25% of the time, walked 7% of the time and had a 48% GB rate. He rode a .396 BABIP to a .293/.345/.400 line that season. The next year when his BABIP fell to a more normal area, his offense dropped as he hit .249/.317/.374 with a few more walks and a few more strikeouts. In 2012, he hit more fly balls than ever before, walked more than ever and struck out less than ever. Rode another high BABIP (.371), but hit .300/.377/.479. Sounds similar to what you were suggesting Stubbs try out. Sounds like Stubbs, at least in theory, wants to do that.

Patrick Bateman
12-08-2012, 03:21 AM
Stubbs is a smart guy, interesting to hear him say that. Nonetheless, you gotta go into next year with some solution in CF against righties. He has simply proven over a very long time that he is not going to be an asset, let alone average against them.

cincrazy
12-09-2012, 12:09 AM
If Bourn does sign a one year deal, it isn't going to be until close to spring training. Boras is going to hold him out as long as possible, waiting for someone to throw a big multi-year deal at him. So we might get Bourn on a one year deal, but if we do we're going to have to be patient, and perhaps miss out on some of our other targets. With the Rangers being out of the bidding for Greinke, I expect Hamilton back in Texas, and Bourn to land in Seattle.

M2
12-09-2012, 12:38 AM
Bourn makes zero sense for Seattle. I'm not saying that it won't happen, but it really shouldn't. Two teams off the radar that would be better fits are the Orioles (send Adam Jones to left) and the Rays (who really need to put some bullets back in the gun).

cincrazy
12-09-2012, 10:47 AM
Bourn makes zero sense for Seattle. I'm not saying that it won't happen, but it really shouldn't. Two teams off the radar that would be better fits are the Orioles (send Adam Jones to left) and the Rays (who really need to put some bullets back in the gun).

I agree, I don't think he makes any sense for Seattle either. Hopefully for their sake it's a move they don't make.