PDA

View Full Version : Reds sign Jack Hannahan 2yr/$4MM

Tom Servo
12-07-2012, 06:22 PM
I was going to make a thread this morning about the lack of discussion by Redszone about the Reds interest in Mr. Hannahan, so I suppose it's fitting that I start a thread based on what klw posted in the rumor thread that the Reds are close to landing him.

Darren Wolfson, a Minneapolis reporter who covers the Twins, says on twitter:

#MLB source: #MNTwins are out on free agent 3B Jack Hannahan. Good chance he signs with the #Reds.

I expect him to get a 2-year deal from the Reds. Highly doubt the Twins wanted to go to 2-years with him.

Vottomatic
12-07-2012, 06:24 PM
Good. Bolster the bench and defense. Guy has a good glove.

12-07-2012, 06:39 PM
He's one those "ballplayers" that Jocketty loves. Fills the Cairo role, but much younger, and much better glove. Tribe fans I know loved his approach to the game.

Blitz Dorsey
12-07-2012, 06:57 PM
How much of a dork am I that I'm excited about this move? Haha. I love it.

These little pieces to the puzzle are important!

Joseph
12-07-2012, 06:59 PM
He was alright in some spot starts on my AL only fantasy team.....I mean, could be a good bench part.

mattfeet
12-07-2012, 07:01 PM
I like it.

corkedbat
12-07-2012, 07:17 PM
Not bad for bench depth.

klw
12-07-2012, 07:25 PM
Is he sort of the Hanigan equivalent for a 3rd baseman? Decent contact, walks some, little power, best value is glove?

Danny Serafini
12-07-2012, 07:42 PM
Hannahan was fun when he played for the Mud Hens, because he always used Hulk Hogan's "Real American" as his at bat music. That's all I have for my scouting report. :laugh:

Although with him and Mike Hessman coming in it does feel like a reunion of those 05-06 Mud Hen title teams. It was funny seeing some of the other names that passed through town those years: Gookie Dawkins, David Espinosa, Dewayne Wise, Ryan Ludwick, Jackson Melian, Dmitri Young, Lance Davis and Hector Mercado.

Blitz Dorsey
12-07-2012, 07:42 PM
You know what else this says gents (and ladies)? That Scott Rolen is set to retire. Or at the very least, he won't be playing for the Cincinnati Reds.

Blitz Dorsey
12-07-2012, 07:44 PM
Is he sort of the Hanigan equivalent for a 3rd baseman? Decent contact, walks some, little power, best value is glove.

That's pretty disrespectful of Ryan Hanigan. I know what you're trying to say, but trust me when I say that if Jack Hannahan were the 3B equivalent of Ryan Hanigan, he wouldn't be out looking for work at or near the veteran minimum as a backup. Hanigan is very underrated by some Reds fans and this post proves it (albeit unintentionally I'm sure).

EDIT: Oh, I'm sorry ... didn't notice you merely asked a question. I'm blind. (And illiterate.) I thought you said "he is" the 3B equiv of Hanigan.

klw
12-07-2012, 08:30 PM
That's pretty disrespectful of Ryan Hanigan. I know what you're trying to say, but trust me when I say that if Jack Hannahan were the 3B equivalent of Ryan Hanigan, he wouldn't be out looking for work at or near the veteran minimum as a backup. Hanigan is very underrated by some Reds fans and this post proves it (albeit unintentionally I'm sure).

EDIT: Oh, I'm sorry ... didn't notice you merely asked a question. I'm blind. (And illiterate.) I thought you said "he is" the 3B equiv of Hanigan.

I was afraid it would come across that way. Hanigan does have great value to the Reds. I think what I was trying to find out is whether Hannahan is not a power guy but gets on base and is a glove glove. It was not meant to show a lack of respect to Hanigan but rather a lack of knowledge on Hannahan.

I added a second question mark on the post above to further show it an inquiry.

blumj
12-07-2012, 08:37 PM
All they need now is Joel Hanrahan to drive Tim McCarver into retirement.

RedEye
12-07-2012, 10:24 PM
Is he sort of the Hanigan equivalent for a 3rd baseman? Decent contact, walks some, little power, best value is glove?

Well, I do know that it is quite possible I could say "Hannahan" when I mean to say "Hanigan" -- especially if I'm a few beers into watching a game. So there's that.

Kc61
12-08-2012, 11:34 AM
If Reds sign Hannahan and keep XPaul that will be two lefty hitters on the bench.

If they add a LHH centerfielder they will have five lefty hitters, including Votto and Bruce.

That would be a dramatic improvement in overall balance from last season, in which they had only two lefty bats for much of the time.

mace
12-08-2012, 12:20 PM
Well, I do know that it is quite possible I could say "Hannahan" when I mean to say "Hanigan" -- especially if I'm a few beers into watching a game. So there's that.

If you guys are familiar with Geoff "Butch" Hobson, the main writer on bengals.com . . . He's from Boston and has the accent to prove it. When the Bengals had Jon Kitna, Butchie, of course, called him "Kittner". But then, in 2003, the Bengals also signed, as a backup QB, Kurt Kittner, whom Hobson actually called "Kitna". I could never figure that one out, but somehow he called Kitna Kittner and Kittner Kitna. It was just a trifle confusing.

lollipopcurve
12-08-2012, 12:31 PM
If you guys are familiar with Geoff "Butch" Hobson, the main writer on bengals.com . . . He's from Boston and has the accent to prove it. When the Bengals had Jon Kitna, Butchie, of course, called him "Kittner". But then, in 2003, the Bengals also signed, as a backup QB, Kurt Kittner, whom Hobson actually called "Kitna". I could never figure that one out, but somehow he called Kitna Kittner and Kittner Kitna. It was just a trifle confusing.

Too funny. I'll have to pass that along to some of the eastern Mass folks I know.

blumj
12-08-2012, 09:45 PM
We moved to Mass. when I was a kid, and for months our whole family thought our neighbor's collie was a male named Barney, turned out to be a female named Bonnie.

corkedbat
12-08-2012, 10:37 PM
If Reds sign Hannahan and keep XPaul that will be two lefty hitters on the bench.

If they add a LHH centerfielder they will have five lefty hitters, including Votto and Bruce.

That would be a dramatic improvement in overall balance from last season, in which they had only two lefty bats for much of the time.

If Didi is the reserve SS (or splits time with Cozart) they would have poosibly have six lefties: Votto, Bruce, CF lefty (Fowler, Parra, DeJesus, Crisp, Ellsbury, De Aza, Brantley, etc.), Paul, Hanrahan & Gregorious.

corkedbat
12-08-2012, 10:52 PM
As long as there aren't major injuries, the roster is probably a LH CFer from being complete.

Looks like the only contested roster spots may be:

CF
Reserve INF
Reserve OF
The last 3 or 4 spots in the BP

CF ??? (LH)/Chris Heisey/Drew Stubbs
2B Brandon Phillips
1B Joey Votto
LF Ryan Ludwick
RF Jay Bruce
3B Todd Frazier
SS Zach Cozart
CA Ryan Hanigan

IF Didi Gregorious/Emmanual Burriss/Michael Gilmartin
IF Jack Hanrahan
OF Chris Heisey/Drew Stubbs/??? (LH)
OF Xavier Paul
CA Devin Mesaraco

S1 Jonny Cueto
S2 Mat Latos
S3 Aroldis Chapman
S4 Homer Bailey
S5 Bronson Arroyo
LR Mike Leake/Sam Lecure
MR Nick Massett/Logan Ondrusek
R7 Jose Arredondo/Alfredo Simon
L7 Tony Cingrani/Ryan Dennick
R8 JJ Hoover
L8 Sean Marshall
CL Jonathan Broxton

Kc61
12-09-2012, 01:20 AM
If Didi is the reserve SS (or splits time with Cozart) they would have poosibly have six lefties: Votto, Bruce, CF lefty (Fowler, Parra, DeJesus, Crisp, Ellsbury, De Aza, Brantley, etc.), Paul, Hanrahan & Gregorious.

Or Emanuel Burriss. Switch hitter.

Think Walt is focused on lefty righty balance? I think so.

The Voice of IH
12-09-2012, 02:00 AM
Great list Corkedbat!

This team is really coming together! Not necessarily through free agency, but from in-house options with only sprinkled outside help.

DGullett35
12-11-2012, 02:01 AM
I think signing Hannahan would be a great move. If Frazier doesnt work out as an everyday player he and Jack could split time. Hannahan has an extremely good glove. I live up around Tribe country so i watch/listen to alot of Indians games. Hannahan has a little pop which would come into play more in GABP. He also is LH which is good and if im not mistaken he played a little bit at first base last year too. Great bench player. I hope this gets done.

Blitz Dorsey
12-11-2012, 02:07 AM
We moved to Mass. when I was a kid, and for months our whole family thought our neighbor's collie was a male named Barney, turned out to be a female named Bonnie.

Haha. Bonnie never "phaarked the chaahr in Hhaavard yhaard."

Brutus
12-11-2012, 06:46 PM
With Youkilis signing with the Yankees tonight, is that the move that gets Hannahan signed?

Blitz Dorsey
12-11-2012, 07:08 PM
With Youkilis signing with the Yankees tonight, is that the move that gets Hannahan signed?

Won't it all depend on what Rolen wants to do? Sounds like the Reds want to bring Rolen back for one more year if he's willing to take a backup role. Who knows if someone of his stature wants to do that though. He's still mulling whether he wants to retire or not.

Vottomatic
12-11-2012, 07:11 PM
I read on the Redsfest thread that Walt and Bob said Rolen wasn't coming back. Is it true or not?

Blitz Dorsey
12-11-2012, 07:14 PM
I read on the Redsfest thread that Walt and Bob said Rolen wasn't coming back. Is it true or not?

Oh, thanks for the heads-up. Last I read was a Fay update last week that said Rolen was still thinking things over. If Rolen is definitely out, I hope the Reds move on Jack Hannahan. He'd be a good backup for Frazier.

Rojo
12-11-2012, 07:15 PM
Anyone else notice that Hannahan can't hit a lick?

Nathan
12-11-2012, 07:18 PM
Anyone else notice that Hannahan can't hit a lick?

Compared to? 2012 Cairo and Valdez couldn't hit as well as Hannahan.

Rojo
12-11-2012, 07:21 PM
Compared to? 2012 Cairo and Valdez couldn't hit as well as Hannahan.

Set the bar any lower and I'll be able to jump over it.

I don't mind Hannahan as a AAA stash, but as a bench player I'm not getting the appeal. Besides swinging a noodle, he doesn't back up up-the-middle and doesn't run.

Vottomatic
12-11-2012, 07:24 PM
So are Cairo and Valdez officially gone?

Nathan
12-11-2012, 07:28 PM
So are Cairo and Valdez officially gone?

Yes. Valdez was released shortly after the season, Cairo is a free agent, and in all likelihood, retired.

Blitz Dorsey
12-11-2012, 08:05 PM
Someone needs to be the backup 3B. Not sure how many better options there are, especially on the cheap. Henry Rodriguez will be ready eventually, but probably not to begin the 2013 season. I think Hannahan, despite his weak stick, would be a nice backup 3B for the Reds.

mattfeet
12-11-2012, 08:06 PM
Someone needs to be the backup 3B. Not sure how many better options there are, especially on the cheap. Henry Rodriguez will be ready eventually, but probably not to begin the 2013 season. I think Hannahan, despite his weak stick, would be a nice backup 3B for the Reds.

Can Jason Donald sport 3B decently?

Bill
12-11-2012, 08:42 PM
Donald could not beat out Hannahan with the tribe, but he does play 3B. 2B and SS are his natural positions.

WVRedsFan
12-11-2012, 10:55 PM

Rolen?

_Sir_Charles_
12-11-2012, 10:59 PM
Rolen?

I'm not sure. People here just keep overlooking him. From the few comments I've read by Reds players/coaches/etc...it sounds like he's leaning towards retirement. But if he's interested in coming back, I think Jocketty will make it happen. I don't think he'd be going after Hannahan if he thought Rolen was coming back though.

Blitz Dorsey
12-11-2012, 11:12 PM
We talked about that earlier in this thread. Someone said Walt or Dusty said at RedsFest that Rolen was not a possibility for the Reds. Not sure the validity of that though.

Blitz Dorsey
12-11-2012, 11:12 PM

_Sir_Charles_
12-11-2012, 11:16 PM
Found it.

Hot stove with Cast, Jocketty, Dusty, Joe Morgan, and Jeff Brantley had some interesting comments:

1. Something was brewing last week. 2 things I believe Jocketty stated. He thought they were very close to be done but the other teams wanted too much from the farm.

2. Something is happening next week (probably) according to Cast and Jocketty. I took this to mean something besides Ludwick.

3. They pretty much said Ludwick was a done deal. That brought some cheers

4. No one expects Rolen back. They have spoken to him...Dusty and Walt

5. Todd Frazier has "earned the right to start Opening Day" at 3B according to Dusty.

6. The more criticism Dusty gets the more Cast believes in him because Sparky got a lot also and was a good manager....this is very close to what Cast stated when discussing Dusty and lineup construction.

7. Billy Hamilton is "close". That was a word that Jocketty used.

8. Dusty has no butt anymore according to his wife. Yep that was stated from the stage.

What was said exactly....no clue. And apparently #2 was Choo. :O)

DGullett35
12-12-2012, 12:52 AM
Now with the trade involving Donald I dont expect the reds to sign Hannahan. I love Frazier but I just dont see him playing 150 or more games at 3rd. Hannahan would have been a nice pickup. Donald isnt that great. Heck Brent Lillibridge beat him out at the end of the year as the Tribes utility guy.

Brutus
12-12-2012, 01:36 AM
Now with the trade involving Donald I dont expect the reds to sign Hannahan. I love Frazier but I just dont see him playing 150 or more games at 3rd. Hannahan would have been a nice pickup. Donald isnt that great. Heck Brent Lillibridge beat him out at the end of the year as the Tribes utility guy.

Jocketty said tonight they are still after a utility guy (presumed to be Hannahan).

Kc61
12-12-2012, 07:28 AM

Why not?

Reds usually keep two backup infielders.

Donald is a pretty weak hitter, they could use a better bat on the bench.

Choo deal didn't cost a lot of money (if anything) since Tribe sent some cash the Reds' way.

I'm still hoping they pick up Hannahan.

membengal
12-12-2012, 07:32 AM
I am also very much hoping they get Hannahan. He would be a great defensive fit behind Frazier and a security blanket should Frazier soph struggle. With Choo acquisition, not as worried about needing a huge bat at 3b, so if Hannahan had to play more than we might expect, it wouldn't be an issue.

RedEye
12-12-2012, 10:12 AM
Can we all get the spelling of his name down now, prior to the signing? It's H-A-N-N-A-H-A-N. ;-)

Matt700wlw
12-12-2012, 11:18 AM
Done deal.

1 year, $2M

WildcatFan
12-12-2012, 11:22 AM
Nice signing. Felt way more comfortable with him than Burris.

Kc61
12-12-2012, 11:23 AM
Hannahan hits righties ok. Jason Donald sometimes hits lefties ok.

WVRedsFan
12-12-2012, 11:26 AM
Worrying about the backups is like worrying about 12/21/2012. Useless.

OnBaseMachine
12-12-2012, 11:27 AM
Not a bad guy to have on the bench.

traderumor
12-12-2012, 11:28 AM
Worrying about the backups is like worrying about 12/21/2012. Useless.
I'll remember that when Frazier is injured or slumping ;)

Matt700wlw
12-12-2012, 11:28 AM
Back in the day, this would be the big move of the offseason.... :)

REDREAD
12-12-2012, 11:53 AM
Back in the day, this would be the big move of the offseason.... :)

Yep, there'd be a press conference, we'd all pray that he could "find himself" and turn into a middle of the order run producer.

It's sure nice now to sign guys like this for the bench.

Nice move. He's obviously a backup player, but not an embarrassment to send to the plate as a LH pinch hitter (as some of the Reds LH bench hitters before XPaul were last year).

All that's left for Walt to do is find another LH reliever for the pen :)

Benihana
12-12-2012, 12:06 PM
This is really nit picking as I couldn't be happier with the state of the Reds and Walt Jocketty, but am I missing something here?

$2MM for a (obviously backup) corner infielder who has a .671 career OPS and never hit double digit HR in a season? I'd think they could replicate his production for less with a Henry Rodriguez, Beau Mills or Neftali Soto, let alone bringing Rolen back for one more go-round.

vaticanplum
12-12-2012, 12:08 PM
$2MM for a (obviously backup) corner infielder who has a .671 career OPS and never hit double digit HR in a season? I'd think they could replicate his production for less with a Henry Rodriguez, Beau Mills or Neftali Soto, let alone bringing Rolen back for one more go-round.

They just took the money out of the Choo windfall :)

Patrick Bateman
12-12-2012, 12:12 PM
This is really nit picking as I couldn't be happier with the state of the Reds and Walt Jocketty, but am I missing something here?

I think it's more about the depth. If H-Rod went down, some of these other guys dont offer much position flexibility, or proven ability to do much of anything at the major league level. Nice to have some options.

Hannahan doesn't do much of anything very well, but he can play numerous positions at a more than adequate level, and can handle the bat to a degree that is better than pure suck.

It balances out to being an above replacement level player, which besides H-Rod, I can't say the same about the other options. The $2M to Hannahan wont hold the Reds back from doing something more constructive. As a team looking to contend again, it would suck to lose a win or two on the margins of the roster because we cheaped out and let sub replacement fodder get overexposed to playing time if/when injuries hit.

Benihana
12-12-2012, 12:16 PM
I think it's more about the depth. If H-Rod went down, some of these other guys dont offer much position flexibility, or proven ability to do much of anything at the major league level. Nice to have some options.

Hannahan doesn't do much of anything very well, but he can play numerous positions at a more than adequate level, and can handle the bat to a degree that is better than pure suck.

It balances out to being an above replacement level player, which besides H-Rod, I can't say the same about the other options. The $2M to Hannahan wont hold the Reds back from doing something more constructive. As a team looking to contend again, it would suck to lose a win or two on the margins of the roster because we cheaped out and let sub replacement fodder get overexposed to playing time if/when injuries hit.

Fair point, but why not just give H-Rod the opportunity? It's not like he's a huge prospect that we'd be spoiling by not playing everyday, but at the sametime, he is a switch-hitter who would be useful as a pinch-hitter, and 3B is his natural position. Then you save the $2MM to acquire someone if you really need them due to an injury, rather than spending it on someone who can't really fill in fulltime if Frazier or Votto goes down.

Patrick Bateman
12-12-2012, 12:21 PM
Fair point, but why not just give H-Rod the opportunity? It's not like he's a huge prospect that we'd be spoiling by not playing everyday, but at the sametime, he is a switch-hitter who would be useful as a pinch-hitter, and 3B is his natural position. Then you save the $2MM to acquire someone if you really need them due to an injury, rather than spending it on someone who can't really fill in fulltime if Frazier or Votto goes down.

What if H-Rod has an awful spring and doesn't look like he can do the job?

There might not be many guys available that late, and if so, it might cost a propsect in addition to the 2M.

The way I see it, both guys will get plenty of usage. If anyone of Donald, Phillips, Frazier, Hannahan, Cozart, Votto go down, then H-Rod is the first to get called up. We'll need more than one guy, and considering H-Rod is still minor league eligible, it makes more sense to add a guy to the major league mix right now, otherwise the type of talent you are going to find at this point that is willing to start the year in the minor leagues is going to be of the replacement level talent.

M2
12-12-2012, 12:22 PM

I suspect the Reds paid because they view Hannahan as a particularly good fit. His glove is outstanding. Late in a ballgame the Reds can put arguably the best IF defense in baseball on the field. He also can spell Frazier against tough RHPs. He's thoroughly non-redundant.

Benihana
12-12-2012, 12:23 PM
Fair enough. I didn't realize that his glove is that good.

LoganBuck
12-12-2012, 12:25 PM

I am not sure H-Rod does any of that. He struggled in 2012 at Louisville, and he didn't do anything in September with the Reds. I think it is smart to put him in Louisville to start the season. If he is successful he can always be called up. I just don't like banking on a suspect prospect to be a backup should someone get hurt. That leads to ugly things like calling up the Joey Gathwrights of the world, if the suspect prospect struggles.

membengal
12-12-2012, 12:26 PM
I love guys who can pick it. Hannahan can pick it. Plus plus plus. Great backup to Frazier and will be a real help if they need him to play more. And, they can carry weaker bat there better now if they need to with Choo in the lineup.

11larkin11
12-12-2012, 12:26 PM
Yep, Hannahan is an absolute wiz at third with the glove, and my friends who are Indians fans tell me he has filled in and played pretty well at SS too.

RedEye
12-12-2012, 12:53 PM

I think the $2 mill is mostly for his glove. He's way better than H-Rod, Mills and Soto on that side of the ball.

Kc61
12-12-2012, 01:09 PM
Reds now have Votto, Bruce, Choo, Paul, and Hannahan from the left side. Burriss, a switch hitter, in reserve at AAA.

Righties include Phillips, Ludwick, Frazier, Mes/Hanigan, Cozart, Donald, Heisey.

Much better balance than last two seasons.

Only question I have with the bench is whether Donald or Hannahan are adequate backups at shortstop. Just don't know, but no big deal with Burriss and others at AAA who can fill in if an injury.

Finally, this move likely marks the end of Scott Rolen's tenure as a Red.

Crumbley
12-12-2012, 01:17 PM
85 OPS+ and a great glove. No problem with him being on the team.

RedsManRick
12-12-2012, 01:21 PM
I've heard Hannahan compared to Doug Mientkiewicz but with less contact ability at the plate. For $2MM he doesn't have to do very much to be worth the contract.

He can't hit lefties at all, but he's actually decent against RHP (.270/.331/.381). In addition to being a PH and defensive replacement, I imagine he'll got 20-30 starts against tough RHP to keep Frazier fresh.

hippie07
12-12-2012, 02:01 PM
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/12/reds-to-sign-jack-hannahan.html

Why isn't this a sticky???

Boss-Hog
12-12-2012, 02:05 PM
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/12/reds-to-sign-jack-hannahan.html

Why isn't this a sticky???

Done

hippie07
12-12-2012, 02:11 PM
Thanks, Boss.

Steve4192
12-12-2012, 02:14 PM
Finally, this move likely marks the end of Scott Rolen's tenure as a Red.

I don't think this move has any impact on Rolen's tenure as a Red. You don't turn away a guy like Rolen because you just signed a utility infielder. If Rolen wants to come back, Hannahan can start the year at Louisville and be the first guy called up in the event of injury. His $2MM salary isn't going to make or break the Reds budget.

Rojo
12-12-2012, 02:14 PM
He can't hit lefties at all, but he's actually decent against RHP (.270/.331/.381).

Last year, with a high babip.

Lifetime he's .233/.318/.363 against RHP.

That glove better be fantastic.

Blitz Dorsey
12-12-2012, 02:15 PM
I don't think this move has any impact on Rolen's tenure as a Red. You don't turn away a guy like Rolen because you just signed a utility infielder. If Rolen wants to come back, Hannahan can start the year at Louisville and be the first guy called up in the event of injury. His $2MM salary isn't going to make or break the Reds budget.

Nah, I think he's saying that the Reds would not have signed Hannahan unless Rolen told them he's not coming back ... and I agree. I'm sure the Reds awaited word from Rolen and then when he decided he's not playing, they signed Hannahan.

M2
12-12-2012, 02:17 PM
That glove better be fantastic.

Arguably, top five in all of MLB. He's pretty excellent.

RedEye
12-12-2012, 02:23 PM

Top 5 at 3B or out of all fielders?

Rojo
12-12-2012, 02:25 PM

Maybe he can start when Leake's on the mound and bat 9th.

LoganBuck
12-12-2012, 02:41 PM
Maybe he can start when Leake's on the mound and bat 9th.

Or maybe when Leake plays left field The pitcher can bat 7th, Leake 8th, and Hannahan 9th.

cumberlandreds
12-12-2012, 02:53 PM
Or maybe when Leake plays left field The pitcher can bat 7th, Leake 8th, and Hannahan 9th.

In that case Leake would bat 7th. He's a better hitter than any of the other pitchers.

I don't much of anything about Hannahan. But he has to better than what the Reds had last year for a utility player.

klw
12-12-2012, 02:56 PM
FYI: Fay saying it is a two year deal.
http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/2012/12/12/27-players-25-spots/
https://twitter.com/johnfayman/status/278943111433031680

Tom Servo
12-12-2012, 02:58 PM
FYI: Fay saying it is a two year deal.
http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/2012/12/12/27-players-25-spots/
https://twitter.com/johnfayman/status/278943111433031680
Well, Fay is talking about "Hannarah", whoever that is.

cumberlandreds
12-12-2012, 03:00 PM
Well, Fay is talking about "Hannarah", whoever that is.

Must have morphed from Toby Harrah. :)

Brutus
12-12-2012, 03:11 PM
I can't wait to see Jack Hannahan hitting against Joel Hanrahan.

klw
12-12-2012, 03:13 PM
I can't wait to see Jack Hannahan hitting against Joel Hanrahan.

I would laugh. HaHaHaHa.
I am waiting for the throw from Hanigan to Hannahan. It would be great if they were doing a rundown and kept throwing between each other.

Vottomatic
12-12-2012, 03:27 PM
I guess this means Cairo and Valdes won't be back.

_Sir_Charles_
12-12-2012, 03:31 PM
I guess this means Cairo and Valdes won't be back.

That was pretty much a foregone conclusion. Valdez elected FA. Miggy...I'd bet good money that he'll retire. But then again, I thought the same of Rolen.

WVRedsFan
12-12-2012, 03:32 PM
Maybe he can start when Leake's on the mound and bat 9th.Actually looking at what we had the last two years with Rolen, it's very comparable (hitting wise):

Hannahan Rolen
Games 105 92
AB 287 294
R 23 26
H 70 72
2B 16 17
3B 0 2
HR 4 8
RBI 29 39
OBP .316 .318

Plenty good for a backup or bench player. I know Rolen's leadership won't be there, but as for numbers, they're comparable.

Brutus
12-12-2012, 03:33 PM
I would laugh. HaHaHaHa.
I am waiting for the throw from Hanigan to Hannahan. It would be great if they were doing a rundown and kept throwing between each other.

Now you're just confusing me!

Kc61
12-12-2012, 04:17 PM

Sounds good, and Walt apparently said today that Hannahan/Donald don't preclude Rolen. Maybe.

I could see Jason Donald being let go or demoted for Rolen. He was a throw-in in the trade for Choo. I could see that.

Hannahan was signed as a free agent, left handed hitter, better player than Donald. Some reports that it's a two year deal. Hannahan will be on the team, Rolen or no.

Personally, I doubt Rolen will play, he may go to spring training but the guy has trouble staying healthy at this point. But in any event, Hannahan will be on the ballclub.

traderumor
12-12-2012, 04:19 PM
Donald is a fringe major leaguer. I saw him play live at a Clippers game last summer. He can play a lot of positions, but if I thought Rolen had anything in the tank, I certainly would think he'd outperform Donald.

Kc61
12-12-2012, 04:23 PM
Donald is a fringe major leaguer. I saw him play live at a Clippers game last summer. He can play a lot of positions, but if I thought Rolen had anything in the tank, I certainly would think he'd outperform Donald.

Yeah, I can see Donald starting at AAA.

Question is whether Rolen and Hannahan cover enough positions. Can Hannahan play SS and 2B. He's played some games there in the major leagues.

If Choo can play CF, then Hannahan can play the middle infield as a backup.

Hannahan is signing a two year contract, he'll be a Red. Donald, not as sure.

Brutus
12-12-2012, 04:23 PM
The Donald is being brought to stick on the Major League roster as the primary middle infield backup.

Kc61
12-12-2012, 04:27 PM
The Donald is being brought to stick on the Major League roster as the primary middle infield backup.

Yeah, but if Rolen plays, there's an infield logjam.

Reds didn't sign this guy today for two years to play in the minors.

We'll see how it pans out.

My guess is Rolen somehow won't start out with the club, but it's way premature.

Rojo
12-12-2012, 04:28 PM
Donald is a fringe major leaguer.

Yet his lifetime OPS+ is higher than Hannahan's. And he plays more positions. And he's younger. And he's faster.

Again, I'm not sure I understand the Hannahan appeal. Is he easy on the eyes or something?

Brutus
12-12-2012, 04:32 PM

We'll see how it pans out.

My guess is Rolen somehow won't start out with the club, but it's way premature.

I agree on Hannahan, but Donald's 3-year option clock has expired, meaning they'd have to subject him to waivers in order to send him to AAA. While that's not an absolute dealbreaker, I don't think the Reds have any intention of doing that.

traderumor
12-12-2012, 04:33 PM
Yet his lifetime OPS+ is higher than Hannahan's. And he plays more positions. And he's younger. And he's faster.

Again, I'm not sure I understand the Hannahan appeal. Is he easy on the eyes or something?
Glove wizardry at 3b

Kc61
12-12-2012, 04:34 PM

Walt has decided that it's good to have some lefty hitters. I think that's the appeal. Hannahan hit .712 OPS against righties last year, a bit above his norm, but acceptable for a bench guy.

M2
12-12-2012, 04:35 PM
Top 5 at 3B or out of all fielders?

3B

Rojo
12-12-2012, 04:39 PM
Hannahan hit .712 OPS against righties last year, a bit above his norm, but acceptable for a bench guy.

Ok, I guess I just need to squint harder.

Rojo
12-12-2012, 04:40 PM
Glove wizardry at 3b

Manos De Oro!

M2
12-12-2012, 04:42 PM

Very well done.

Kc61
12-12-2012, 04:44 PM
I agree on Hannahan, but Donald's 3-year option clock has expired, meaning they'd have to subject him to waivers in order to send him to AAA. While that's not an absolute dealbreaker, I don't think the Reds have any intention of doing that.

Yeah, I find this Rolen stuff dubious.

We'll see.

PuffyPig
12-12-2012, 04:53 PM

He was signed for 1 year, according to Rotoworld.

kaldaniels
12-12-2012, 04:57 PM
Contract is yet to be signed per Fay...

lollipopcurve
12-12-2012, 07:42 PM
Late in a ballgame the Reds can put arguably the best IF defense in baseball on the field.

And do it with a LH pinch hitter, which is often far preferable vs late inning relievers.

I like the move a lot. HRod getting a full year in AAA is a good thing.

rgslone
12-12-2012, 09:08 PM
And do it with a LH pinch hitter, which is often far preferable vs late inning relievers.

I like the move a lot. HRod getting a full year in AAA is a good thing.

I agree on all points. I'm glad the Reds are not in a position where HRod would basically be forced into MLB action next season as a utility player. I expect that being successful as a utility player takes the right mindset, and I doubt that a young player like HRod would be comfortable in that role right now. In fact, if his defense improves enough I think HRod's potential is more than a utility player (particularly if he could ever play at least average defense at 2B) - because the one thing he's always been able to do (post injury 2012 notwithstanding) is hit.

DGullett35
12-13-2012, 06:33 AM
Hannahan was a good signing. I expect he will get plenty of time vs RH pitchers at 3rd base. I just dont see Frazier playing that well for a full year. Dont get me wrong I love Todd but I see him as a super utility player in the future. I dont know why but thats just what he seems to be for me. I hope Im wrong. Hannahans D is comparable to Rolens and I bet he has a stronger arm. I dont know about him playing SS but I remember last year he filled in nicely at 1st for the Tribe. I think it would be safe to say Jack only gets time at 3rd however because Frazier would play 1st if Votto isnt in the lineup. Our 2 weaknesses going into the Hot Stove season were bench depth and a leadoff guy that can get on base. Walt accomplished both those goals and Im super excited for 2013. Now if we can get a LH loogy for the pen this team is all but set barring injury.

oneupper
12-13-2012, 08:09 AM
The new schedule makes it important to invest in the bench. A few more interleague games per year (up from 15 to 20 IIRC) and scattered throughout the year, makes flexibility very important. Moves like this one address that.

mattfeet
12-13-2012, 09:21 AM
ctrent ‏@ctrent

Jack Hannahan's deal with #Reds is two years with a club option. Should be announced today

Kc61
12-13-2012, 09:37 AM
ctrent ‏@ctrent

Jack Hannahan's deal with #Reds is two years with a club option. Should be announced today

Anybody still think Hannahan may be going to the minor leagues to accomodate Rolen?

No way.

My guess is Rolen really isn't going to play, but if he does the Reds will have to accomodate him in some other way. Hannahan is here to stay. Walt called him the best utility player available.

I love this signing. The Reds now have five lefty hitters, including Choo who is tremendous against righties. This should provide for a major offensive improvement for this team.

Jocketty fixed the pitching last year and IMO has fixed the offense this year. Wonderful job.

Benihana
12-13-2012, 10:00 AM
The 2 year deal with an option can't make Henry Rodriguez very happy. Or David Vidal for that matter (although his ETA wasn't likely before 2015 anyway).

Edd Roush
12-13-2012, 10:11 AM
The 2 year deal with an option can't make Henry Rodriguez very happy. Or David Vidal for that matter (although his ETA wasn't likely before 2015 anyway).

I would think that HRod and Vidal are likely a little upset, but if they are I do not believe they should be. Both want to be starters on the Major League roster. This signing does very little to prevent that from happening. Both have to show major improvement at third base before they can be considered for that position. I would like to see Vidal get a full season's worth of PAs at 3B in Pensacola in 2013, where hopefully he can show marked improvement. Last year's .227/.291/.394 in 377 AA PAs dropped his stock in my eyes a little. Let's hope he repeats the league in 2013 and shows dramatic improvement.

Same with Henry Rodriguez. He did very little in his 221 AAA PAs (.244/.264/.333). I would much prefer him to get everyday AAA PAs to work on improving his offensive game while also getting the field time to improve his defensive game rather than have him rot on the Major League bench.

Both Vidal and HRod need work. They should not worry about being Frazier's backup. Both should worry about improving their games so if Frazier's 2012 was an abberation, they are ready to step in and take the role.

I also would like to go on to say that if this Hannahan deal is the two year for 2M a year deal with a Reds' club option for a third year we are hearing reported now, I am very happy with this signing. My Indians' fans friends love Hannahan's glove and I like what he can do vs. right-handed pitching. He should be a great start with a ground ball pitcher on the mound for the Reds and a righty starting for the other team. He will also be a solid defensive replacement and could be a decent lefty bat off the bench. Worlds more valuable than Cairo in my mind.

RedsManRick
12-13-2012, 10:14 AM

Well, if Jocketty's track record is any indication, Rodriguez at least won't be here all that long. He doesn't usually let MLB ready talent linger in AAA if they can be turned in to major leaguers (or younger prospects).

Kc61
12-13-2012, 10:36 AM
Well, if Jocketty's track record is any indication, Rodriguez at least won't be here all that long. He doesn't usually let MLB ready talent linger in AAA if they can be turned in to major leaguers (or younger prospects).

Agree.

At this point in the Reds development most prospects are trade material.

Not all of them, some still break through, Frazier, Hoover, Mes last year, but fewer prospects are becoming Reds, more prospects are being traded.

Reds have traded Alonso, Francisco, Boxberger, Grandal, Gregorius, Sappelt, Torreyes, in the last year from the prospect ranks. Probably more I'm forgetting.

RedlegJake
12-13-2012, 11:06 AM
HRod needs to force either a trade or oromotion by playing well in Louisville. That simply would give Reds ammo for setting up 2014 or good prospects to add to lower levels for future years. Same with Vidal. For a couple years anyway, position prospects let Walt trade to balance the budget and stay on top. Right now at least on paper this team looks as set up for a run as any team in Reds history short of the BRM going into 72. I mean from the big league team to the actual prospects, particularly quality pitchers and a potential game wrecker CFer this whole organization is flush. Only injuries might derail a nice run imo.

klw
12-13-2012, 11:46 AM
https://twitter.com/JonHeymanCBS

Jon Heyman ‏@JonHeymanCBS
hannahan is believed to have gotten about $4M on 2-yr deal with #reds.

mdccclxix
12-13-2012, 12:10 PM
Not realizing how bad the combined effort was from the bench, I didn't like this signing that much. Now, I add Cairo, Valdez, Costanzo, and Harris together and wow, this is a mega upgrade!

REDREAD
12-13-2012, 01:00 PM
Not realizing how bad the combined effort was from the bench, I didn't like this signing that much. Now, I add Cairo, Valdez, Costanzo, and Harris together and wow, this is a mega upgrade!

Yes, most definitely.. Don't forget about Negron either, as much as you'd like too :lol:

I really like this signing. I like getting Donald as well.

Rojo
12-13-2012, 01:18 PM
Irish names lend themselves to limericks:

Handsome Jack Hannahan
With the glove he could top any man
But give him a stick
And he wasn't too quick
That's ok, he's our handsome Jack Hannahan.

vaticanplum
12-13-2012, 01:27 PM

Handsome Jack Hannahan
But give him a stick
And he wasn't too quick

Shin-Soo Choo has long been the most popular subject on the haiku thread of my fantasy baseball message board. Sample:

Shin-Soo Choo, hamstring
Shin-Soo Choo, hamstring, Shin-Soo
Hamstring hamstring choo

I wasn't going to bring it up but I mean, if we're doing companion player poetry and all.

RedlegJake
12-13-2012, 01:29 PM

Handsome Jack Hannahan
But give him a stick
And he wasn't too quick

Bravo. I like limericks! Well done...I'll now be thinking "Handsome Jack" everytime he plays even if he's an ugly cuss...

Rojo
12-13-2012, 01:40 PM
I'll now be thinking "Handsome Jack" everytime he plays even if he's an ugly cuss...

I've never seen him. I just assumed after reading this thread and gandering baseball reference.

Mario-Rijo
12-13-2012, 01:47 PM
I've never seen him. I just assumed after reading this thread and gandering baseball reference.

http://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=/i/headshots/mlb/players/full/28468.png&w=350&h=254

vaticanplum
12-13-2012, 01:58 PM
http://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=/i/headshots/mlb/players/full/28468.png&w=350&h=254

I just keep getting older and they just keep getting younger.

mattfeet
12-13-2012, 02:26 PM
10:51am: Hannahan is believed to have obtained about $4MM, Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com reports (on Twitter).

RedEye
12-13-2012, 02:27 PM
Handsome Jack Hannahan. I hope RZ keeps that forever. I love that name. Especially with that photo above. He's got that "I'm Jack Hannahan, and I'm a handsome man" smile.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/rvzoUJ5gxoc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

EDIT: Okay, how the heck to you embed a video on this site? Never seems to work.

vaticanplum
12-13-2012, 02:40 PM
Jack Hannahan is 32 years old!!!! NOT TOO YOUNG. And apparently quite fortunate as far as genetics go.

Tom Servo
12-13-2012, 02:47 PM
In the pictures where he's clean shaven Hannahan looks like he could have been plucked out of the 50s/60s.

vaticanplum
12-13-2012, 02:52 PM
We're definitely going to have to find use for this:

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/08QccUY1Dra2g/x610.jpg

Chip R
12-13-2012, 03:09 PM
I just keep getting older and they just keep getting younger.

Thanks, Wooderson. :)

vaticanplum
12-13-2012, 03:13 PM
Thanks, Wooderson. :)

No, his stayed the same age. I truly feel that baseball players are de-aging.

Chip R
12-13-2012, 03:14 PM
We're definitely going to have to find use for this:

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/08QccUY1Dra2g/x610.jpg

That must be his O face.

Boss-Hog
12-13-2012, 05:08 PM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/rvzoUJ5gxoc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

EDIT: Okay, how the heck to you embed a video on this site? Never seems to work.

Simply pasting the complete URL should do it...

camisadelgolf
12-13-2012, 05:19 PM
Handsome Jack Hannahan. I hope RZ keeps that forever. I love that name. Especially with that photo above. He's got that "I'm Jack Hannahan, and I'm a handsome man" smile.

Yup. Like Boss-Hog said, just paste the url. However, if you click 'share' on YT, my experience has been that it won't work here, so make sure you copy the url from the address bar at the top. Also, if you preview the post, a 'url' tag will automatically be added, which prevents the video from being embedded. Just delete the tag if you're worried about that.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvzoUJ5gxoc

lollipopcurve
12-13-2012, 07:04 PM
It should be noted that Hannahan is from Minneapolis/St. Paul. As is the Reds GM.

Blitz Dorsey
12-13-2012, 07:14 PM
Hmm, not sure I'm a big fan of the two years part, but I do like having Hannahan for the 2013 season. Eh, I trust in Walt. If Walt wanted him for two years, or felt he needed to offer two to get the deal done, it's all good.

Rojo
12-13-2012, 08:29 PM
Hmm, not sure I'm a big fan of the two years part

I'm suprised he gave us two years, a fine man like that. From Donegal to Killarny, no lass can resist Handsome Jack.

WVPacman
12-13-2012, 11:42 PM
this guy can do everything..he can field,hit,play guitar and dance.:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWdmH3TAjGc

Superdude
12-14-2012, 12:27 AM

Well I'm sold on guitar skills alone. Maybe he can replace Bronson at RedsFest next year.

camisadelgolf
12-14-2012, 07:58 AM
2013: 1M
2014: 1M
2015: 4M or 2M buyout

mdccclxix
12-14-2012, 08:58 AM
2013: 1M
2014: 1M
2015: 4M or 2M buyout

Clever

Tony Cloninger
12-14-2012, 11:16 AM

So he's Irish then?

vaticanplum
12-14-2012, 12:21 PM
How do you say "Los Rojos" in Gaelic?

edit: Also, I think it's very clear from that video that Supermanahan does NOT play guitar. Do not be distracted by the kilt.