PDA

View Full Version : Angels close to deal with Josh Hamilton

Brutus
12-13-2012, 03:02 PM
Per several beatwriters on Twitter.

@TBrownYahoo Confirming @joeontheradio report, industry source says Angels are indeed getting close on a deal w/ Hamilton. Not quite done

Tom Servo
12-13-2012, 03:04 PM
Wow. LA is the new NY.

westofyou
12-13-2012, 03:11 PM
Wow. LA is the new NY.

Just as dirty

WildcatFan
12-13-2012, 03:17 PM
Opening Day at Great American is gonna be a CIRCUS.

It'll be fun to watch Cueto and Latos carve through that lineup!

WildcatFan
12-13-2012, 03:19 PM
Five years, according to Morosi.

Source: #Angels, Josh Hamilton nearing five-year contract. @MLBONFOX

M2
12-13-2012, 03:20 PM
Just as dirty

You haven't been to NYC lately. You can walk around all day and never get tetanus.

klw
12-13-2012, 03:31 PM
5 years 125 mil per ESPN
http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/mlb/story/_/id/8744414/josh-hamilton-agreed-deal-angels-source-says

Free agent Josh Hamilton agreed Thursday to a contract with the Los Angeles Angels, a source with direct knowledge of the deal told ESPN Dallas talk show host Ben Rogers.

Hamilton will receive a five-year contract for $25 million per season, the source said.

Sea Ray
12-13-2012, 03:37 PM
Makes sense. I'm happy for him

mattfeet
12-13-2012, 03:39 PM
Pretty good deal. Wow.

redsfan30
12-13-2012, 03:41 PM
Pujols and Hamilton in the same lineup?

Good luck with that, AL West....

dougdirt
12-13-2012, 03:45 PM

And neither is their best hitter.....

wolfboy
12-13-2012, 03:45 PM
You haven't been to NYC lately. You can walk around all day and never get tetanus.

:bowrofl:

M2
12-13-2012, 03:46 PM
Ranger danger!

This is shaping up to be a bad week for the team from the Dallas metroplex. The Angels just signed away their biggest bat and the Red-Indians-DBacks trade probably closed the door on them getting Justin Upton. I could see Texas doing something really silly as a disproportionate response to this move.

Wonder if Billy Beane can pry a SS off of them. "Hey, we've both got to keep up with the Morenos."

Anaheim is dull enough that Hamilton should be able to avoid trouble out there. And the Angels media and fans aren't likely to rip him when he's down. I doubt Hamilton earns every last dollar of this contract, but for a couple of years he, Pujols and Trout could be scary.

Brutus
12-13-2012, 03:49 PM

And Trumbo and that guy named Trout...

Degenerate39
12-13-2012, 03:52 PM
What is that line up going to look like good grief

Gallen5862
12-13-2012, 03:52 PM
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

Angels To Sign Josh Hamilton
By Ben Nicholson-Smith [December 13 at 1:39pm CST]
1:39pm: It's a five-year, $125MM contract, ESPNDallas.com reports.

Hamilton received and turned down a qualifying offer from the Rangers, which means he'll be linked to draft pick compensation. The Rangers will obtain a compensatory selection for losing Hamilton, and the Angels will have to surrender their top pick (#22 overall) in 2013.
Read more at http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/#U8QmHOSm1KMz67wd.99

oneupper
12-13-2012, 03:56 PM

Hamilton received and turned down a qualifying offer from the Rangers, which means he'll be linked to draft pick compensation. The Rangers will obtain a compensatory selection for losing Hamilton, and the Angels will have to surrender their top pick (#22 overall) in 2013.

Somewhere on RedsZone there is a thread where the size of this contract was debated. I think this blew past most estimates.

Brutus
12-13-2012, 03:57 PM
Somewhere on RedsZone there is a thread where the size of this contract was debated. I think this blew past most estimates.

Yep. It's the one where it beleived the "unnamed" source inside the Rangers organization swore they'd not have Hamilton back "even for free."

That clearly was inaccurate.

paulrichjr
12-13-2012, 04:00 PM
Yep. It's the one where it beleived the "unnamed" source inside the Rangers organization swore they'd not have Hamilton back "even for free."

I don't know because I haven't been keeping up with it but did the Rangers even try very hard to sign him? I'm just not sure they wanted him back real bad.

dougdirt
12-13-2012, 04:00 PM

I didn't think anyone would give him that much. I figured 4 years, tops.

Sea Ray
12-13-2012, 04:02 PM

I doubt they can top what they drafted with the Texeira draftpick compensation...

Rojo
12-13-2012, 04:07 PM
Angels are trying to be baseball's Miami Heat.

Chip R
12-13-2012, 04:07 PM

Looks like you were closest to the mark. :beerme:

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97635

The quote may have been accurate but was probably based on one guy's - or several guys' - opinions and perhaps didn't reflect the decision makers in the organization. These guys are fans too and probably spoke out of frustration with his performance down the stretch.

That said, they didn't re-sign him, did they?

westofyou
12-13-2012, 04:08 PM
Angels are trying to be baseball's Miami Heat.

They have a serious case of "Keeping up with the Jone's"

Brutus
12-13-2012, 04:12 PM
Looks like you were closest to the mark. :beerme:

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97635

The quote may have been accurate but was probably based on one guy's - or several guys' - opinions and perhaps didn't reflect the decision makers in the organization. These guys are fans too and probably spoke out of frustration with his performance down the stretch.

That said, they didn't re-sign him, did they?

They offered him four years. So regardless of whether they signed him, it was clear they wanted him back or at least were willing to have him back, unlike the hyperbole to the contrary.

Chip R
12-13-2012, 04:16 PM
They offered him four years. So regardless of whether they signed him, it was clear they wanted him back or at least were willing to have him back, unlike the hyperbole to the contrary.

True. But they weren't willing to commit to that extra year like the Angels were. They wanted him, just not bad enough.

Vottomatic
12-13-2012, 04:19 PM
In a few years, the Angels will regret these signings. These players' best years are behind them, most likely.

osuceltic
12-13-2012, 04:20 PM
In a few years, the Angels will regret these signings. These players' best years are behind them, most likely.

They won't regret it if they win a World Series.

Tom Servo
12-13-2012, 04:22 PM
I know it's not the go-go Aughties anymore where Gary Matthews Jr can get 5 years/50 million, but someone will give Hamilton the deal he's looking for.

Turns out it we have returned to the Aughties salary levels (Angel Pagan getting 4/40) and I was right about Hamilton. :)

dougdirt
12-13-2012, 04:23 PM

That can be said about nearly every free agent that has ever signed. Most guys peak at 27-28. Hardly anyone is a free agent before then.

MikeThierry
12-13-2012, 04:26 PM
The thing about this is that I dont' think Pujols has had a hitter hitting behind him like Hamilton. Edmonds, Rolen, and Holliday were good to great hitters in their prime but Hamilton is on a different level. I think this will make Pujols more of a threat in that lineup. If he doesn't get off to the bad starts he did the past two years, Pujols could put up MVP type numbers again during the length of the Hamilton contract.

dougdirt
12-13-2012, 04:31 PM
The thing about this is that I dont' think Pujols has had a hitter hitting behind him like Hamilton. Edmonds, Rolen, and Holliday were good to great hitters in their prime but Hamilton is on a different level. I think this will make Pujols more of a threat in that lineup. If he doesn't get off to the bad starts he did the past two years, Pujols could put up MVP type numbers again during the length of the Hamilton contract.
It may make him better for the time Hamilton is healthy. But that is a big question in itself.

MikeThierry
12-13-2012, 04:34 PM
It may make him better for the time Hamilton is healthy. But that is a big question in itself.

Agreed on that. Still, with the kind of money the Angels have, I think it's a risk worth taking looking at it from their standpoint.

UKFlounder
12-13-2012, 04:46 PM
I thought he was looking for 7 years originally

Turns out it we have returned to the Aughties salary levels (Angel Pagan getting 4/40) and I was right about Hamilton. :)

oneupper
12-13-2012, 05:00 PM
Would have never thunk the Angels after giving Pujols all that money.
Looks like they're not afraid of commitment.

dougdirt
12-13-2012, 05:01 PM
Would have never thunk the Angels after giving Pujols all that money.
Looks like they're not afraid of commitment.

Unless you are Torii Hunter:

Torii Hunter @toriihunter48
I was told money was tight but I guess the Arte had money hidden under a Mattress. Business is business but don't lie.

westofyou
12-13-2012, 05:25 PM
Unless you are Torii Hunter:

Torii Hunter @toriihunter48
I was told money was tight but I guess the Arte had money hidden under a Mattress. Business is business but don't lie.

After the Dodgers made a few moves business changed I suppose, the market likely dictated how tight those purse strings really were.

Anyway it's a contract negotiation I suppose Hunter should be aware that the other side is trying to cut deals that benefit them, hence any indication that money is tight should be taken with a grain of salt.

OesterPoster
12-13-2012, 05:28 PM
Torii Hunter made over $18 million per year for the past 4 seasons. He's under contract to make another $12 million in 2013 and $14 million in 2014.

I wish I could get disrespected like that just once.

Brutus
12-13-2012, 05:37 PM
True. But they weren't willing to commit to that extra year like the Angels were. They wanted him, just not bad enough.

They didn't even get a chance, though. According to Jon Daniels, they were informed that the Angels offered a fifth year and they didn't even get an opportunity to match. Perhaps they wouldn't have gone to a fifth year, but Hamilton jumped on it before the Rangers could counter.

cincrazy
12-13-2012, 05:40 PM
The lineup is ridiculous... the bullpen, and ESPECIALLY the starting rotation, leaves much to be desired. Scary regular season team. Then they get into the playoffs and they're rolling out Joe Blanton and Tommy Hanson.

REDREAD
12-13-2012, 05:43 PM
I don't know because I haven't been keeping up with it but did the Rangers even try very hard to sign him? I'm just not sure they wanted him back real bad.

Well, the rumor mill said the Rangers were seriously pursuing him for what it's worth.. We'll never know that for sure, but those reports were more consistent and plentiful than the one unnamed source that claimed the Rangers wouldn't take him back for free.

MikeThierry
12-13-2012, 05:48 PM
The lineup is ridiculous... the bullpen, and ESPECIALLY the starting rotation, leaves much to be desired. Scary regular season team. Then they get into the playoffs and they're rolling out Joe Blanton and Tommy Hanson.

I don't think their the 27 Yankees, 04 Cards, 75 Reds, or 95 Indians but that is a stacked lineup. That said, I question the bottom of that lineup and it seems to be very top heavy. I look for Wilson to have a bounce back year but their bullpen might make them miss the playoffs.

Chip R
12-13-2012, 06:00 PM
They didn't even get a chance, though. According to Jon Daniels, they were informed that the Angels offered a fifth year and they didn't even get an opportunity to match. Perhaps they wouldn't have gone to a fifth year, but Hamilton jumped on it before the Rangers could counter.

But they did have a chance. They could have offered him 5 to begin with. Then they wouldn't have had to worry about the Angels counter.

I'm not saying they didn't want him. They just didn't go the extra mile to keep him.

Brutus
12-13-2012, 06:05 PM
But they did have a chance. They could have offered him 5 to begin with. Then they wouldn't have had to worry about the Angels counter.

I'm not saying they didn't want him. They just didn't go the extra mile to keep him.

Why would you offer 5 initially if you think you can get him for 4 years? There's no reason to go the extra mile at first. Since when do teams go as high as they're willing to go on the first try? Isn't that the point of negotiation? You leave some wiggle room to negotiate only if you have to do so.

Frankly, going 5 years initially would have seemed like they were bidding against themselves. And usually, if someone else did go 5 years, they figured they'd have a chance to counter. After all, most agents' goal is to drive the price up.

cincrazy
12-13-2012, 06:13 PM

That's a fair point. But Pujols has been so ridiculously good over the course of his career, I don't think it matters who hits behind him. I actually think it may benefit Hamilton moreso than Pujols.

MikeThierry
12-13-2012, 06:17 PM
That's a fair point. But Pujols has been so ridiculously good over the course of his career, I don't think it matters who hits behind him. I actually think it may benefit Hamilton moreso than Pujols.

You might be right about that. As vaunted as the Rangers lineup is, I don't think anyone in that lineup other than Hamilton could compare to Pujols. They both might benefit from one another.

_Sir_Charles_
12-13-2012, 06:31 PM
Torii Hunter made over $18 million per year for the past 4 seasons. He's under contract to make another $12 million in 2013 and $14 million in 2014.

I wish I could get disrespected like that just once.

:thumbup: :beerme: :thumbup:

MikeThierry
12-13-2012, 07:39 PM
There needs to be a correction to the title. It's the Los Angeles Angels of Aneheim California USA World Universe/Multiverse.

_Sir_Charles_
12-13-2012, 07:40 PM
Just thought of it...we get the Angels on opening day, right?

MikeThierry
12-13-2012, 07:50 PM

Well... have fun with all that ;)

_Sir_Charles_
12-13-2012, 08:13 PM
Well... have fun with all that ;)

Yeah, we've got a pretty brutal start to the season. Angels, Nats then Cards. Good thing we're going wire to wire. That means we'll probably sweep those 3 series. :p

Chip R
12-14-2012, 12:19 AM
Why would you offer 5 initially if you think you can get him for 4 years? There's no reason to go the extra mile at first. Since when do teams go as high as they're willing to go on the first try? Isn't that the point of negotiation? You leave some wiggle room to negotiate only if you have to do so.

Frankly, going 5 years initially would have seemed like they were bidding against themselves. And usually, if someone else did go 5 years, they figured they'd have a chance to counter. After all, most agents' goal is to drive the price up.

Because when they offered 4, Hamilton didn't sign. The Angels offered 5 and he signed. The Angels did wha it took to sign him. The Rangers didn't.

Brutus
12-14-2012, 01:38 AM
Because when they offered 4, Hamilton didn't sign. The Angels offered 5 and he signed. The Angels did wha it took to sign him. The Rangers didn't.

Man, I wish if I were a certified baseball agent, I were negotiating with you as a GM. You sure fold quickly and easily. You must not win much at poker :)

Chip R
12-14-2012, 09:51 AM
Man, I wish if I were a certified baseball agent, I were negotiating with you as a GM. You sure fold quickly and easily. You must not win much at poker :)

If you were a GM, you wouldn't be one for long. "We're going to give you 4 years and that's non-negotiable. I don't want to hear a counter-offer, just take it or leave it."

mdccclxix
12-14-2012, 10:19 AM

Cool. I might break the piggy bank to be there. Weaver v Cueto sounds very fun.

MikeThierry
12-14-2012, 01:00 PM
Yeah, we've got a pretty brutal start to the season. Angels, Nats then Cards. Good thing we're going wire to wire. That means we'll probably sweep those 3 series. :p

I was looking at the Cards schedule and it's kind of odd seeing the kind of schedule we have playing now in a division with 5 teams. I see a lot of 4 game series this year which include the Phillies, Mets, Brew Crew, Royals, Diamondbacks, 2 times agains the Cubs (weird), Pirates, Dodgers, Braves, Reds, and Rockies.

Roy Tucker
12-14-2012, 01:09 PM
Trout-Pujols-Hamilton (or whatever order) sounds like someones fantasy team.

But I think its overkill and they still need pitching.

And, not that I wish ill upon anyone and I have no inside knowlege, but I really do think Hamilton's psyche has gotten pretty wobbly. The man really does struggle with internal demons and there is trouble to be gotten into in any place you go if you're looking for it, NYC, Dallas, Anaheim, or Mayberry.

Vottomatic
12-14-2012, 01:14 PM
Maybe the Reds can invite the secret service to opening day. They'll bring hookers and it will tempt Hamilton and mess with his psyche. :D

vaticanplum
12-14-2012, 01:15 PM
Trout-Pujols-Hamilton (or whatever order) sounds like someones fantasy team.

But I think its overkill and they still need pitching.

And, not that I wish ill upon anyone and I have no inside knowlege, but I really do think Hamilton's psyche has gotten pretty wobbly. The man really does struggle with internal demons and there is trouble to be gotten into in any place you go if you're looking for it, NYC, Dallas, Anaheim, or Mayberry.

I'd actually be less worried about Hamilton's demons than injury. I look at those three and I just think there's no way they're ever all going to be healthy at any given time.

MikeThierry
12-14-2012, 01:15 PM
The one thing I question about this move is if Hamilton's numbers will drop because of that ballpark. Arlington is probably the best hitter's park in the majors and the Angels play in a pitcher friendly park.

WildcatFan
12-14-2012, 01:23 PM
The one thing I question about this move is if Hamilton's numbers will drop because of that ballpark. Arlington is probably the best hitter's park in the majors and the Angels play in a pitcher friendly park.

From Passan: Hamilton vs. Angels, Rangers Park: .361/.403/.669. Hamilton vs. Angels, Angel Stadium: .260/.325/.440. Same pitching. Park matters.

Brutus
12-14-2012, 01:26 PM
If you were a GM, you wouldn't be one for long. "We're going to give you 4 years and that's non-negotiable. I don't want to hear a counter-offer, just take it or leave it."

Again, that is absolutely not what happened. Go back and read what Jon Daniels said. Their 4-year offer was never even turned down nor was it propositioned as a "take it or leave it."

Hamilton's camp had not actually rejected their 4-year offer. The Angels stepped in and offered 5 years and they never got a chance to match or go beyond it.

Offering 5 years when the 4-year deal was being considered is bad negotiating. You would be throwing money away doing that. There was no reason to offer more because the previous deal had not even been rejected. Like I said, I wish I had you to negotiated with.

"Oh hey, I know I just offered you 4 year and you're considering it, but how about I give you 5 years instead?!"

Chip R
12-14-2012, 04:27 PM
Offering 5 years when the 4-year deal was being considered is bad negotiating. You would be throwing money away doing that. There was no reason to offer more because the previous deal had not even been rejected. Like I said, I wish I had you to negotiated with.

"Oh hey, I know I just offered you 4 year and you're considering it, but how about I give you 5 years instead?!"

It's not bad negotiating if you want him bad enough. It's similar to a car salesman who has a customer that is interested in a certain car but is hedging because of the price. If the salesman wanted to sell that car so badly he would knock some money off the price of it and sell it right then and not let the customer go elsewhere. Sure, that customer may find out he can't get a better deal elsewhere but as a salesman, would you be willing to risk him leaving for a few hundred dollars? Of course there's a breaking point and if the customer wants the car at a much deeper discount, you don't make the sale.

Sure, Hamilton's camp didn't let the Rangers match and that's too bad for TEX if they really, really wanted to re-sign him. It may have been that Hamilton was just ready to move on because of how the season ended. There was a lot of disappointment with him from the fans and people in the front office said they didn't want him back for free. Nolan Ryan and Daniels may not have been of that mind but maybe Hamilton had had enough and they couldn't have got him even with a 5th year. And maybe the Angels told him that their offer was good right then and there. If he walked, they would have taken years or money off the deal.

But TEX may have lost Hamilton but they can save face with the fans who still wanted him to come back since they offered the 4 year deal and he didn't give them an opportunity to equal or better the offer. But if they really, really wanted him to come back, even if they offered him a 4 year deal, why not come back and offer him a 5th year if you haven't heard back from them in a few days? Maybe that's bad negotiation to you but if it got them what they wanted, who cares?