PDA

View Full Version : Jocketty "pretty much done" winter shopping, looking for left handed reliever still

RedTruck
12-14-2012, 04:07 AM
In an interview he said he's done with trading/aquiring for now, but is still hunting for a left handed reliever for the bullpen.

The DARK
12-14-2012, 05:28 AM
Sounds right to me. Right now, Marshall is the only lefty slated to be in the pen if they try to move Chapman to the rotation, and Chapman was forced to stay in the pen last spring training after Bray got injured. I'm sure Walt would rather not have a repeat of that situation. Otherwise, we've got our 25 man roster pretty much set.

webbbj
12-14-2012, 07:56 AM
Sounds right to me. Right now, Marshall is the only lefty slated to be in the pen if they try to move Chapman to the rotation, and Chapman was forced to stay in the pen last spring training after Bray got injured. I'm sure Walt would rather not have a repeat of that situation. Otherwise, we've got our 25 man roster pretty much set.

I think this is no excuse by Walt to not start chapman last year. I dont believe you compromise his role b/c of someone like bray or anyone.

mattfeet
12-14-2012, 08:20 AM
Chapman relieved last year more because of Madsen's injury, not Bray's.

Alpha Zero
12-14-2012, 08:22 AM
I think it was more the injury to Madson that put Chapman back in the pen last year. I think the Reds need to at least try Chapman in the rotation this year. He wants to start and has once in a generation type of talent. He can always be moved backs to the bullpen if he fails. It's hard not to be excited about the possibility of Cueto, Latos, and Chapman headlining a dominant Reds rotation.

The DARK
12-14-2012, 08:35 AM
Realistically, it was both of them. Nobody expects to have two of their bullpen lefties go down before the season even begins, including the closer. Unless they wanted to delve deep into AAA righty fodder, they needed an answer, and Chapman was the best they had.

HometownHero
12-14-2012, 08:57 AM
Wish Walt could have got the Randy Choate deal done.

The_Mudshark
12-14-2012, 09:13 AM
Realistically, it was both of them. Nobody expects to have two of their bullpen lefties go down before the season even begins, including the closer. Unless they wanted to delve deep into AAA righty fodder, they needed an answer, and Chapman was the best they had.

+1

vottofan4life
12-14-2012, 11:29 AM
Leake, Reliever, and prospect for Porcello and Coke?

nheath22
12-14-2012, 11:49 AM
Leake, Reliever, and prospect for Porcello and Coke?

I like your dreaming but there is no way the Tigers get rid of Coke when they are looking for a closer / late game relief as well. Not to mention Coke and Porcello are arb. elgible and probably going to make 4 or 5 Million between the two, which is more than we could afford for our payroll after the ludwick signings.
Someone of Coke's caliber as a lefty would be a dream scenario because of his ability, but not realistic for the Reds this year.

RadfordVA
12-14-2012, 03:23 PM
I agree only move I would make would be to get one more LHP in bullpen. Looking at candidates. Maybe Will Ohman who had a 1.05 Whip but high ERA. Could be a good buy low fit. Would rather try cheap free agent route than trade for one.

Edit; well apparently they signed him to louisville last season so nevermind haha

Red Swagger
12-14-2012, 04:32 PM
Yankees just designated LH RP Josh Spence, he's only 24, good numbers at MLB level, 40 IP so far, strike out guy.. Snatch him up, only problem is, who goes from the 40 man when its full. Plus Rolen is coming back.

JayBruceFan
12-14-2012, 05:40 PM
I believe our left handed reliever could end up being an internal selection and my gut feeling is that it will be minor leaguer Chris Manno. But I have been wrong before and will be wrong again.

scott91575
12-14-2012, 05:56 PM
Too bad they traded that guy for a bottom of the barrel utility infielder.

40YrRedsFan
12-14-2012, 07:14 PM
It wouldn't surprise me to see Tony Cingrani in the bullpen come opening day. He looked pretty good in his short stay with the Reds last season.

Eric the Red
12-15-2012, 04:01 PM
Per MLB Trade Rumors the following left handed relievers are free agents:
Name (Age)
Dana Eveland (29)
Pedro Feliciano (35) - $4.5MM club option
Mike Gonzalez (35)
Tom Gorzelanny (30)
J.P. Howell (28)
Rich Hill (32)
Will Ohman (35)
Manny Parra (30)
Rafael Perez (31)
J.C. Romero (37)
Daniel Schlereth (27)
Hisanori Takahashi (38)

Howell, Gorzelanny and Parra would be too expensive I'd guess.

I think the Reds best option may be trade Ondrusek or Arredondo and the salaries for a non arb lefty such as Donnie Veal of the White Sox or Jordan Norberto of the A's.

HometownHero
12-15-2012, 06:39 PM
If the money is gone then I would see how cheap Rich Hill is since he has been good vs LH hitters in career and been real good in limited BP role. 3-0, 2.76 ERA in 48 games out of the pen with no HR allowed and a line against of .209/.316/.294/.611 while getting a K and inning and that's getting exposed to many RH hitters so could be a good cheap LOOGY.

Hondo
12-16-2012, 05:30 PM
It wouldn't surprise me to see Tony Cingrani in the bullpen come opening day. He looked pretty good in his short stay with the Reds last season.

This is what is going to happen.

Old NDN
12-20-2012, 11:52 AM
How about Manny Parra? At one time, a pretty promising lefty with the Brewers. Maybe Price could work some of his magic with him. Could be spot starter also. He's "only" thirty.