PDA

View Full Version : Top 10 pitching prospects for the Reds

Vottomatic
12-15-2012, 01:25 PM
Just curious and looking for feedback. Who would you list as the top 10 pitching prospects for the Reds?

I'll throw out some names:
Stephenson
Corcino
Cingrani
Guillon
Travieso
Rogers

I'm kinda lost after that.

Lotzkar

mace
12-15-2012, 01:29 PM
Drew Cisco, Sal Romano, Dan Langfield, Drew Hayes (reliever) . . .

dougdirt
12-15-2012, 01:42 PM
Stephenson
Corcino
Travieso
Cingrani
Lotzkar (at the time I was only aware he hadn't had surgery after his arm injury at the end of the year, not that he was still having some issues with it. If I redid the list, he would be lower)
Rogers
Guillon
Langfield
Garrett
Diaz

mth123
12-15-2012, 02:05 PM
My shot at it

Robert Stephenson
Tony Cingrani
Dan Corcino
Chad Rogers
Nick Travieso
Ismael Guillon
Tanner Robles
Drew Cisco
Radhames Quezada
Dan Langfield

some homorable mentions

Big arms with potential: Amir Garrett, Sal Romano
Track Records Overlooked: Pedro Villareal, Josh Smith
Interesting Relief Options: Josh Ravin, Drew Hayes, Carlos Contreras, Curtis Partch, Chris Manno

Wildcards due to health: Kyle Lotzkar, Jacob Johnson

I'm sure I missed some and need more data about recent draftees.

lollipopcurve
12-15-2012, 03:35 PM
Moscot is the guy folks are overlooking, IMO

camisadelgolf
12-15-2012, 03:51 PM
Radhames Quezada? What is it you like about him, mth123?

klw
12-15-2012, 10:24 PM
Stephenson
Corcino
Travieso
Cingrani
Lotzkar (at the time I was only aware he hadn't had surgery after his arm injury at the end of the year, not that he was still having some issues with it. If I redid the list, he would be lower)
Rogers
Guillon
Langfield
Garrett
Diaz

I am a little surprised you don't have Villareal on the list because, if my memory is correct, as you mentioned him a few times as possible for being ready to spot start last year. Is he just closer and not as high a ceiling as some of your other guys?

dougdirt
12-16-2012, 12:10 AM
I am a little surprised you don't have Villareal on the list because, if my memory is correct, as you mentioned him a few times as possible for being ready to spot start last year. Is he just closer and not as high a ceiling as some of your other guys?

Correct. I think he could have a decent ceiling as a reliever, but as a starter he is probably a #4 with his ceiling. With that said, Villarreal is in that same group with the last two guys. Pretty interchangeable. Different pitchers with different qualities, but overall prospect wise, in that same 5 prospect range.

mth123
12-16-2012, 08:15 AM
Radhames Quezada? What is it you like about him, mth123?

Mostly that he hasn't blown-up yet. The top 6 (Stephenson, Cingrani, Corcino, Rogers, Travieso and Guillon) seem like they are way above the others and the rest require some angle IMO. Quezada has an ERA of around 3.35 in over 300 minor league innings. He'll be 22 next year and ready to move up to higher levels without being too old. He made 22 starts this year and was near the 100 inning mark. He just seems like a guy who could move into the picture with a good season and beyond the top 6, they are kind of all in that same boat.

texasdave
12-18-2012, 11:42 AM
Why is Ravin a reliever if he has such good stuff? Wouldn't you keep him starting as long as possible? Wouldn't pitching more innings help him become more consistent? You can always switch him to the pen at a later date.

dougdirt
12-18-2012, 02:48 PM
Why is Ravin a reliever if he has such good stuff? Wouldn't you keep him starting as long as possible? Wouldn't pitching more innings help him become more consistent? You can always switch him to the pen at a later date.

They have let him start for years and years. He couldn't make it work.

Nathan
12-18-2012, 10:02 PM
Stephenson
Corcino
Travieso
Cingrani
Rogers
Guillon
Langfield
Garrett
Diaz

Where would you rank DrewCisco?

dougdirt
12-18-2012, 10:40 PM
Where would you rank DrewCisco?

Around 15, behind a few relievers.

Edd Roush
12-19-2012, 10:26 AM
I didn't realize how good Langfield's line was before looking at this thread. Will he start in Dayton next year?

dougdirt
12-19-2012, 01:50 PM
I didn't realize how good Langfield's line was before looking at this thread. Will he start in Dayton next year?

He could. Perhaps Bakersfield. Probably depends on his spring.

Edd Roush
12-19-2012, 05:47 PM
He could. Perhaps Bakersfield. Probably depends on his spring.

Well given his pedigree (3rd round pick) and good results, wouldn't the Reds also consider him a top pitching prospect and let him build up his confidence in Dayton and then maybe skip the ridiculousness of Bakersfield altogether? Or maybe that will change now that we are getting a new stadium in Bakersfield?

dougdirt
12-19-2012, 07:14 PM
Well given his pedigree (3rd round pick) and good results, wouldn't the Reds also consider him a top pitching prospect and let him build up his confidence in Dayton and then maybe skip the ridiculousness of Bakersfield altogether? Or maybe that will change now that we are getting a new stadium in Bakersfield?

They didn't let Cingrani build up his confidence in Dayton. Guys can succeed in Bakersfield/the Cal League.