View Full Version : Who is Redszone's #6 prospect? 2013

texasdave
12-23-2012, 11:14 AM
1) Billy Hamilton
2) Robert Stephenson
3) Tony Cingrani
4) Daniel Corcino
5) Jesse Winker

Christmas Edition. Merry Christmas to everyone.

dougdirt
12-23-2012, 12:00 PM
Nick Travieso.

Kc61
12-23-2012, 12:28 PM
Would like to see Josh Fellhauer added to the list next time.

texasdave
12-23-2012, 02:44 PM
Would like to see Josh Fellhauer added to the list next time.

Noted.

texasdave
12-23-2012, 02:48 PM
Duplicate post.

texasdave
12-23-2012, 02:55 PM
Out of 48 picks in slot number 14 of the first round, 16 (or a third) have failed to make it to the majors. Of course, some of these players are still making their way through the minors. Another 13 have negative career WAR values (per baseball-reference).

Notable number 14 picks:

Derrek Lee
Tino Martinez
Cliff Floyd
Jason Varitek
Tom Brunansky
Scott McGregor
Don Gullett
Jason Heyward
Lee Mazzilli
Jeff Weaver
Ron Karkovice
Billy Butler

Steve4192
12-24-2012, 06:31 AM
Out of 48 picks in slot number 14 of the first round, 16 (or a third) have failed to make it to the majors. Of course, some of these players are still making their way through the minors. Another 13 have negative career WAR values (per baseball-reference).

Yep.

My pick is with the guy who has a 100% chance of making the majors and a better than average chance of putting up a positive WAR. Travieso is too far away for my liking. I'll take Henry Rodriguez. He's being under rated this year due to his supposed 'low ceiling' just like Todd Frazier was under rated last year.

Edd Roush
12-24-2012, 11:46 AM
I'll take the upside of Travieso over the proximity of HRod. HRod is still a good prospect, but I am not sure he will ever have a chance to make a big impact with Phillips locked into 2B. Travieso has ace stuff. I will go with ace stuff over a guy who could be a legit bat, but may not have a chance to play somewhere regularly in the bigs.

*BaseClogger*
12-24-2012, 01:46 PM
I'll take the upside of Travieso over the proximity of HRod. HRod is still a good prospect, but I am not sure he will ever have a chance to make a big impact with Phillips locked into 2B. Travieso has ace stuff. I will go with ace stuff over a guy who could be a legit bat, but may not have a chance to play somewhere regularly in the bigs.

Should potential playing time have any bearing on a prospect's evaluation? Did you move Yonder Alonso down in your rankings because he was blocked by Votto?

dougdirt
12-24-2012, 01:58 PM
Should potential playing time have any bearing on a prospect's evaluation? Did you move Yonder Alonso down in your rankings because he was blocked by Votto?

I don't think it should, but at the same time, I don't think the Reds look at HRod as more than a utility guy. That probably should have some bearing on it.

mth123
12-24-2012, 01:58 PM
I think its pretty clear at this point. Hamilton and Stephenson are A- guys. Corcino and Cingrani are B's. I had Didi as a B- along with Travieso and Winker. After these guys we're looking at a bunch of C prospects IMO. I hope we could find a C+ or two out of the group that includes H-Rod, Y-Rod, Soto, Lamarre, Rogers, Lutz, etc. I'll be anxious to read the discussion because I think the prospect ranks are only 6 deep. We're into "interesting" from there on IMO.

Steve4192
12-24-2012, 05:27 PM
I don't think it should, but at the same time, I don't think the Reds look at HRod as more than a utility guy. That probably should have some bearing on it.

The Reds didn't look at Frazier as anything more than a utility guy either, but they certainly changed their tune once he started smacking around major league pitchers.

dougdirt
12-24-2012, 05:50 PM
The Reds didn't look at Frazier as anything more than a utility guy either, but they certainly changed their tune once he started smacking around major league pitchers.

I don't think their thoughts were the same. While I am sure there were some who thought he was more utility guy, plenty thought he could start too. Rodriguez, I haven't heard the same kind of things about. Most people think he will hit for a good average, but the whole package isn't really something that gets talked about with him.

*BaseClogger*
12-27-2012, 04:09 PM
Would it be fair to say Rodriguez's ceiling is similar to that of Martin Prado?