PDA

View Full Version : Non roster invites

redsof72
01-14-2013, 07:39 PM
The Reds have invited to Major League spring training camp 15 non-roster players, including RHP Nick Christiani, LHP Wilkin De La Rosa, RHP Justin Freeman, RHP Drew Hayes, RHP Chad Rogers, C Nevin Ashley, C Tucker Barnhart, C Corky Miller, IF Emmanuel Burriss, IF Cesar Izturis, IF Kristopher Negron, OF Billy Hamilton, OF Ryan LaMarre, OF Denis Phipps and OF Derrick Robinson.

Surprised there is not a Fellhauer on that list.

RED VAN HOT
01-15-2013, 10:23 PM
The Reds have invited to Major League spring training camp 15 non-roster players, including RHP Nick Christiani, LHP Wilkin De La Rosa, RHP Justin Freeman, RHP Drew Hayes, RHP Chad Rogers, C Nevin Ashley, C Tucker Barnhart, C Corky Miller, IF Emmanuel Burriss, IF Cesar Izturis, IF Kristopher Negron, OF Billy Hamilton, OF Ryan LaMarre, OF Denis Phipps and OF Derrick Robinson.

Surprised there is not a Fellhauer on that list.

Fellhauer had a nice season to be sure, but it appears from the selections that the Reds are more interested in evaluating CF options in the event that the Choo/Bruce plan does not work out.

Nathan
01-15-2013, 10:30 PM
Fellhauer had a nice season to be sure, but it appears from the selections that the Reds are more interested in evaluating CF options in the event that the Choo/Bruce plan does not work out.

Well, they are kind of committed to the Bruce/Choo plan now, aren't they?

There's no rule that says they can't invite Fellhauer too, is there?

RED VAN HOT
01-15-2013, 10:49 PM
Well, they are kind of committed to the Bruce/Choo plan now, aren't they?
There's no rule that says they can't invite Fellhauer too, is there?

As to the first rhetorical question, I think they are committed going into the season, but one must keep in mind that neither Choo nor Bruce is a lock to play league average CF. It seems prudent to have a back up plan even if it proves unnecessary. It seems likely to me that the first OF'er called will be a CF'er. The Reds are pretty well set at the corners.

I suppose they could invite Fellhauer. I plead ignorance regarding the diminishing returns of apportioning playing time among too many players. Keep in mind that Fellhauer is a corner who has never played above AA and does not show a great deal of power. That said, I suspect he will get a few chances to play with the ML spring training team anyway.

Nathan
01-15-2013, 11:38 PM
As to the first rhetorical question, I think they are committed going into the season, but one must keep in mind that neither Choo nor Bruce is a lock to play league average CF. It seems prudent to have a back up plan even if it proves unnecessary. It seems likely to me that the first OF'er called will be a CF'er. The Reds are pretty well set at the corners.

I suppose they could invite Fellhauer. I plead ignorance regarding the diminishing returns of apportioning playing time among too many players. Keep in mind that Fellhauer is a corner who has never played above AA and does not show a great deal of power. That said, I suspect he will get a few chances to play with the ML spring training team anyway.

The way I read your previous comment made it seem like they are uncertain about Bruce and Choo playing centerfield, or they are having doubts about it, and that's more or less where I was going. Barring injury, they are going to go with that.

As for the Fellhauer comment, meh. That was the rhetorical. (And was more in response to the comment above yours about the disbelief that he wasn't invited.)