PDA

View Full Version : Reds sign Dominican lefty for $730,000

New Fever
01-22-2013, 04:45 AM
Jacob Constante, a 19 year old lefty.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/prospects/2013/01/reds-sign-dominican-lefty-jacob-constante-for-730000/

lollipopcurve
01-22-2013, 07:12 AM
Very nice. I like that they're putting their big international investments into pitching. At almost 19, this kid is a safer bet than the 16s who sign for a bundle.

coachpipe
01-22-2013, 07:48 AM
I really hope here in the near future all these dominican players we have signed start turning the corner

redsmetz
01-22-2013, 07:59 AM
I can't recall what the new rules are with regards to international signings. Seemed to me there was a limited pool of money for each club. Anyone remember the details?

Hoosier Red
01-22-2013, 08:41 AM
Very nice. I like that they're putting their big international investments into pitching. At almost 19, this kid is a safer bet than the 16s who sign for a bundle.

I've heard good things about him, but I'm curious isn't it rare for a dominican ball player of any perceivable talent to still be available to sign at 19?

I'd love for George Grande to tell me this kid's story, late bloomer?

<By the way, just realized the irony inherent in a 34 year old referring to a 19 year old as a late bloomer>

mdccclxix
01-22-2013, 08:45 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcx486itAAA

Game action

mdccclxix
01-22-2013, 08:47 AM
pt 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74m5quCGcuY

Terrible shaky video

Steve4192
01-22-2013, 10:56 AM
I've heard good things about him, but I'm curious isn't it rare for a dominican ball player of any perceivable talent to still be available to sign at 19?

I asked myself the same thing as soon I finished reading about his signing. It seems like MLB teams snap up everybody on the island with even a modicum of talent on their 16th birthday. How did this guy make it 19 without being noticed? Was he a late-bloomer who was thought to have no potential as a 16 year-old or was he living on some deserted island until recently and just showed up at a baseball academy as a full-formed 19 year old prodigy?

Vottomatic
01-22-2013, 11:11 AM
I asked myself the same thing as soon I finished reading about his signing. It seems like MLB teams snap up everybody on the island with even a modicum of talent on their 16th birthday. How did this guy make it 19 without being noticed? Was he a late-bloomer who was thought to have no potential as a 16 year-old or was he living on some deserted island until recently and just showed up at a baseball academy as a full-formed 19 year old prodigy?

I heard he was the waterboy and someone insulted his mother. He picked up a baseball and threw it at them really hard. Next thing you know, he was a starting pitcher.

"My mama says.........."

;)

dougdirt
01-22-2013, 01:13 PM

Likely a late bloomer. In the past few years the powers that be in the Dominican started up the Dominican Prospect League, which takes unsigned guys and has actual games. It helps further develop these guys and gets guys who would have once been overlooked another shot at being seen. Personally, I love it. It gives more players a chance to do something with baseball and it gives teams another chance to see a talent that may have been overlooked because they hit their growth spurt at 17 rather than 15.

dougdirt
01-22-2013, 01:19 PM
Five different videos of Constante

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74m5quCGcuY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcx486itAAA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9bYxJ16lxg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkWJrE3ltX4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Jj5PAx_hk0

texasdave
01-22-2013, 01:46 PM
Another Baseball America blurb on Constante. http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/prospects/2013/01/dominican-lefty-jacob-constante-impresses-at-ipl-all-star-game/

There were some international players at the event as well and some stood out. The first is LHP Jacob Constante. He’s 6-foot-4, 215 lbs and was 90-93 mph with a solid slider. He’s eligible to sign right now. There were some questions about his age/documentation that teams were looking into (teams always want to be sure on this front now before moving forward), but there was a lot of interest. If he’s legit, he’s going to find a deal somewhere soon.

OnBaseMachine
01-22-2013, 02:21 PM
I'm pretty sure Cueto didn't sign until he was 18. Sometimes a gem can slide through unnoticed.

RedsManRick
01-22-2013, 02:46 PM
6'4" lefty with a low 90s fastball and a solid slider. Assuming he can throw a strike, this kid won't want for opportunities to become a major leaguer.

AtomicDumpling
01-22-2013, 03:10 PM
Here is a link to a Baseball America article (http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/prospects/2013/01/dominican-lefty-jacob-constante-impresses-at-ipl-all-star-game/) discussing Constante and why he signed late. Apparently teams have shied away from signing 16 year old Dominican pitchers because most of them don't develop well.

Reports say his fastball has a lot of movement to the point where catchers have a hard time catching the ball. Sounds good as long as he can control it.

I saw a link somewhere in Spanish that led me to believe Constante is a converted outfielder.

texasdave
01-22-2013, 03:45 PM
I heard he was the waterboy and someone insulted his mother. He picked up a baseball and threw it at them really hard. Next thing you know, he was a starting pitcher.

"My mama says.........."

;)

Gaatoraddeee!!! Water sucks! It really, really sucks!

redsmetz
01-22-2013, 04:48 PM
Here's a piece on the international pool which doesn't really answer my question specifically. I'm guessing we're some where in the $2M+ range given where we finished last year, but I can't say for sure.

dougdirt
01-22-2013, 05:28 PM
Here's a piece on the international pool which doesn't really answer my question specifically. I'm guessing we're some where in the $2M+ range given where we finished last year, but I can't say for sure.

Sounds right. And this is the only real signing of note, so probably the only one we spent six figures on.

Scrap Irony
01-22-2013, 05:33 PM
I love to see high upside lefties.

Constante likely to start in Arizona instructs or the Dominican League? I'd guess the DSL, but would love to see him in instructs in Arizona, then Billings.

dougdirt
01-22-2013, 05:46 PM
I love to see high upside lefties.

Constante likely to start in Arizona instructs or the Dominican League? I'd guess the DSL, but would love to see him in instructs in Arizona, then Billings.

He will be 19 before the season starts. My guess is that he will be in Arizona.

cincyinco
01-22-2013, 05:57 PM
Plus he's apparent fluent in English and Spanish, which will help when coming over to the states.

lollipopcurve
01-22-2013, 06:34 PM
Plus he's apparent fluent in English and Spanish, which will help when coming over to the states.

Absolutely. I'll be surprised if he isn't in the AZL or Billings.

RED VAN HOT
01-22-2013, 06:37 PM
Can anyone with expertise in this area comment on his mechanics on the basis of the videos posted? I would think on a sign like this the Reds would be inclined to take it slowly and keep him in AZ until summer of 2014. Any thoughts? Not sure if it means anything, but I noticed what could be described as a slight recoil at the end of his delivery.

Benihana
01-22-2013, 10:23 PM
Great news. I believe he's the highest profile international signing since Yorman in August 2008 (not including Chapman of course).

Love high-upside lefties. Between Constante, Guillon, Garrett, and Diaz, the Reds have a few nice looking young lefties to pair with righties Stephenson, Travieso, Romano, Cisco, Langfield and Moscot.

The 21-and-under club is looking pretty good, which will hopefully serve us well when the current guys in the big league rotation hit free agency in 3-4 years.

camisadelgolf
01-22-2013, 10:38 PM
Great news. I believe he's the highest profile international signing since Yorman in August 2008 (not including Chapman of course).

Love high-upside lefties. Between Constante, Guillon, Garrett, and Diaz, the Reds have a few nice looking young lefties to pair with righties Stephenson, Travieso, Romano, Cisco, Langfield and Moscot.

The 21-and-under club is looking pretty good, which will hopefully serve us well when the current guys in the big league rotation hit free agency in 3-4 years.
Pedro Diaz is a righty. Also, don't be afraid to throw Mason Felt on the list. In the 2012 draft, the Reds drafted a few lefty pitchers who have high upside. However, there's the matter of whether they can ever to learn to throw strikes . . .

Benihana
01-22-2013, 11:12 PM
Pedro Diaz is a righty. Also, don't be afraid to throw Mason Felt on the list. In the 2012 draft, the Reds drafted a few lefty pitchers who have high upside. However, there's the matter of whether they can ever to learn to throw strikes . . .

Oops on Diaz- my bad.

Still, there are 3 lefties and 7 righties among the top 10 arms in the system 21 and under. That's a pretty good mix.

Would like to see Felt recover from his injuries from the car accident first. Unfortunately the kid has a long road to recovery ahead of him.

kaldaniels
01-22-2013, 11:44 PM
What slot on the Reds prospect list does he slide into? Top 15?

camisadelgolf
01-23-2013, 12:00 AM
What slot on the Reds prospect list does he slide into? Top 15?
Nah. I'd say that kind of signing bonus would indicate he's the equivalent to about a 4th round draft pick.

lollipopcurve
01-23-2013, 10:41 AM
Not sure if it means anything, but I noticed what could be described as a slight recoil at the end of his delivery.

To me, he's got a slight resemblance to Johan Santana. Simple delivery, easy tempo, over-the-top. Though he's not the short-armer Santana is. Could become dangerous if he can develop that changeup.

New Fever
01-23-2013, 04:28 PM
Nah. I'd say that kind of signing bonus would indicate he's the equivalent to about a 4th round draft pick.

I don't know about that, he would have gotten much more money in the old International free agent system. A bunch of teams have used most of their bonus money already.

camisadelgolf
01-23-2013, 05:00 PM
I don't know about that, he would have gotten much more money in the old International free agent system. A bunch of teams have used most of their bonus money already.
I understand. Call it a 3rd round pick if you will. But based on what I've heard about him, I wouldn't put him in the top 15 just yet.

_Sir_Charles_
01-23-2013, 08:13 PM
I must say, I like his delivery. Very relaxed and smooth.

Benihana
01-24-2013, 12:14 AM
I understand. Call it a 3rd round pick if you will. But based on what I've heard about him, I wouldn't put him in the top 15 just yet.

Anyone after #6 in the Top 15 (or Top 20 for that matter) is completely interchangeable. And that includes Constante. He has every bit as much reason to be in there as Langfield, Y-Rod, Rahier, Reynoso, et al

camisadelgolf
01-24-2013, 02:55 AM
Anyone after #6 in the Top 15 (or Top 20 for that matter) is completely interchangeable. And that includes Constante. He has every bit as much reason to be in there as Langfield, Y-Rod, Rahier, Reynoso, et al
That's fair, and I have no qualms with that. I just meant to speak for myself. What I see is a young lefty with questionable upside who hasn't thrown a professional pitch, and meanwhile he's being compared to guys with similar upside that have already produced well in the States. There's nothing wrong with putting him in the top 15, but I'm in no rush to do so.

mdccclxix
01-24-2013, 10:20 AM
I don't know why I get a reliever vibe from him. I think his finish reminds me of Arredondo or something. Anyway, you gotta love his size for a starter.