PDA

View Full Version : Out of market fans

LexRedsFan
01-23-2013, 10:52 AM
How do you guys keep up with and/or watch the Reds? I'll be moving out of market this summer (Clemson, SC) and am looking for tips to survive.

webbbj
01-23-2013, 11:09 AM
MLB extra innings.
MLB.tv
700wlw online radio

osuredleg24
01-23-2013, 11:29 AM
How do you guys keep up with and/or watch the Reds? I'll be moving out of market this summer (Clemson, SC) and am looking for tips to survive.

If you can afford it, MLB.TV is awesome

coachpipe
01-23-2013, 11:30 AM
im not going to get "in trouble" for giving out an illegal site again...so ill just say use google to your advantage. there are plenty of streaming sites to live stream games

JB12
01-23-2013, 11:57 AM
MLB extra innings.
MLB.tv
700wlw online radio

Correcting me if I'm wrong, but I'm fairly certain MLB.com owns the rights to each broadcast, which prohibits any other live streaming. Therefore, to listen to the games, you'll have to subscribe through MLB.com which is a yearly fee.

700WLW does have quite the broadcast reach, so maybe you will still be within bounds to listen on an actual radio?

LexRedsFan
01-23-2013, 12:02 PM
If you can afford it, MLB.TV is awesome

I'm trying to find details and really all I've found is that their offseason package was 24.99. It looks like it'll probably be in the neighborhood of $130 for the whole season -- is that correct?

JB12
01-23-2013, 12:04 PM
I'm trying to find details and really all I've found is that their offseason package was 24.99. It looks like it'll probably be in the neighborhood of $130 for the whole season -- is that correct?

I'm not sure, but it depends on what you want.

If you're only interested in radio access, I'm pretty sure it's around $30 or so for the year.

goreds2
01-23-2013, 12:18 PM
Get an XM Satellite Radio receiver. You cannot get MLB on a SIRIUS radio receiver for your car.

I have had XM radio for 8 years.

http://www.siriusxm.com/servlet/Satellite?c=SXM_Sports_P&childpagename=SXM%2FSXM_Sports_P%2FLiveSportsSched ule&cid=1282009986086&pagename=SXM%2FWrapper

Red Raindog
01-23-2013, 02:04 PM

MLB Tv 1st (only if you are out of market for the Reds - I have it for other teams)

XM radio 2nd

MLB app for my iPhone 3rd -- you can listen to the games thru it

nheath22
01-23-2013, 02:34 PM
I'm trying to find details and really all I've found is that their off season package was 24.99. It looks like it'll probably be in the neighborhood of $130 for the whole season -- is that correct?

You can get 3 different packages through MLB.tv for varying prices. The whole season package will give you 95% of live broadcasts (they can't provide fox Saturday afternoon broadcasts although that usually means you can get them on FOX if you are on the eastern side of the US). It is an awesome package that I have used for several years. You can watch the broadcasts on your pc or on your phone through MLB at Bat app and I have never really had much trouble with it. I believe last year this cost $120.

For somewhere around $99 you can get live streaming of all games but it takes away a lot of your extra features along with the mobile app.

And if you just want radio, I believe you can get 700 wlw broadcasts for every game that goes for somewhere around 19.99 for the year.

I think it is honestly the best way to go to catch Reds games from out of market, not to mention you can watch any other game across the country as well (perfect when something historic is happening like a no hitter or extra inning game).

Red in Atl
01-23-2013, 03:04 PM
I've been reading the Cincy Enquirer since I was in college at Miami U. Now it seems they want me to subscribe for $10 a month. So much for Fay and all. I'll just stick with this and yahoo.

As far as games go, you can do the Comcast baseball package and get almost every game. It costs about $160 for the year, but if you factor in going to see the games you really want at a bar, that's a bargain. Only thing that sucks is that no matter what lies they tell you, I've never gotten a game in HD. The difference is quite amazing. But it's still great to watch your team living in Atlanta.

osuredleg24
01-23-2013, 03:11 PM

that sounds about right..

I believe the Premium is about $20 more ( Regular is about $100)? Which gives you access to visitor and home feed, dvr capabilities, being able to watch it other places (xbox, mobile, etc)

BlackPete Ibold
01-23-2013, 05:37 PM
XM radio and MLB Extra Innings does the trick.

Also, send me a msg about Clemson if you want, have several friends there who work at the University and even know a couple of Reds fans there, too.

btw Lex, you ever on scout board too?

Mr Larkin
01-23-2013, 08:31 PM
I love MLB extra innings, but it is costly. I have Directv and it is awesome to watch every game in HD. Also nice to tape each game and watch when I'm ready instead of game time.

chuck6660
01-24-2013, 02:30 AM
I check and track the baseball scores via ESPN, MLB.com and this site as soon as I wake and throughout the morning; EST games are final by lunch over here.

bigfunguy
01-24-2013, 09:43 AM

I do ExtraInnings via DirecTV too...assuming you'll watch at least a little of most games, well worth it...

bounty37h
01-24-2013, 09:51 AM

A lot of games were tv on FSS and another channel-although it seemed there were less games last year than the past few. I dont get to see a lot on tv, so really count on reading info next day online.

bigredmechanism
01-24-2013, 10:32 AM
MLB.tv premium pack is well worth it even if you only watch one game per week. Anything more than that is cake. It's still improving from when I first subscribed, too. I have it set up to play on my TV through a ps3, and the At Bat App comes free with it. This is nice if I am on the road, as I can still listen to the game.

Technically I could watch it while driving but I'm not so sure that's such a great idea.

foxfire123
01-24-2013, 11:01 PM
Here.

Extra Innings, extended Fox sports package on Directv. Online via Fox, Fox Ohio, and the Reds website.

On a good clear night, I can get WLW pretty good here about 50 miles west of St Louis.

alwaysawarrior
01-25-2013, 09:46 AM
Not necessarily what you are looking for but I love the Mlb at bat app which allows you to stream audio of every game. I believe you can get it with the mlb.tv purchase. By far my favorite app though.

WDE
01-28-2013, 06:43 PM

I use MLB.TV

panzecaz03
01-29-2013, 12:35 AM
Actually WLW 700 has a huge range. iHeart Radio has wlw

goreds2
01-29-2013, 06:38 AM
Actually WLW 700 has a huge range. iHeart Radio has wlwiHeart WLW radio cannot broadcast the games over the internet but it is good for the pre and postgame shows plus sports talk.

cumberlandreds
02-01-2013, 08:31 AM

I subscribe to MLBEI through DirecTV. I also get the sports pack that allows me to receive FSN Cincinnati so I can see the pre and post game shows. I also subscribe to XM and can listen to them. Nothing better than drifting off to sleep while listening to a game. I may subscribe to MLBTV this year. It's cheaper and I'm hoping I can watch games that way without too much buffering. Also a daily dose of Redszone is great too! :thumbup:

tomnuetten
02-01-2013, 01:05 PM
I watched the games online (bad quality and sometimes you canīt find a stream, but better than nothing)

And I pay for a tv program called espnamerica... itīs for US sport fans (like) me from europe..
during the summer they show lots of baseball games (but not often the reds :thumbdown:) during winter they show 3 nfl games on sunday + thursday and monday night football...

nhl games, college basketball...

OneEyedJack
02-01-2013, 01:26 PM
Just to add something that I have not seen posted yet... I got a Roku box last season and when I combine that with my MLB.tv subscription I can stream all the games live on my TV. I know a lot of people use their PS3 to do this but I did not have one. Roku box was relatively inexpensive, around $80 I believe.

JohnCocktoasten
02-01-2013, 06:46 PM
I have a MLB.tv subscription that I use on various platforms - iPhone, big screen TV via AppleTV, computer at work. You can't go wrong.

Cigar2
02-01-2013, 09:56 PM
I get fox sports Ohio for reds games and wlw. And for last year local fm ESPN station carried carried games too.

Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express

Kiko
02-02-2013, 10:26 PM
I'm in Atlanta. MLB.tv for several years. Saturdays stink because FOX blacks out the games so can only get the audio. If it is a clear night then WLW will come in but only so-so. The game threads are fun to follow too.

gilpdawg
02-03-2013, 06:10 AM
Just to add something that I have not seen posted yet... I got a Roku box last season and when I combine that with my MLB.tv subscription I can stream all the games live on my TV. I know a lot of people use their PS3 to do this but I did not have one. Roku box was relatively inexpensive, around $80 I believe.
+1 on the Roku. It seems to work better than the PS3 for me. The PS3 video seemed to cut in and out for me. And it's does a lot of other stuff too. Highly recommended.

SweetLou1990
02-03-2013, 08:40 AM
+1 on the Roku. It seems to work better than the PS3 for me. The PS3 video seemed to cut in and out for me. And it's does a lot of other stuff too. Highly recommended.

I want to know more about the Roku or Apple TV. THinking about switching to it & dropping cable & subscribing to one of the MLB packages.

THe problem is that I am IN market, so the way I am reading the "fine print", I will only get the Reds away game, none of the home games.

Please chime in if you know of a way to get the HOME games thru a Roku/Apple TV?? Or any other tidbits that'll help..

gilpdawg
02-04-2013, 04:49 AM
I want to know more about the Roku or Apple TV. THinking about switching to it & dropping cable & subscribing to one of the MLB packages.

THe problem is that I am IN market, so the way I am reading the "fine print", I will only get the Reds away game, none of the home games.

Please chime in if you know of a way to get the HOME games thru a Roku/Apple TV?? Or any other tidbits that'll help..

Home and away games are both blacked out until 90 minutes or so after the completion of the game.

cumberlandreds
02-04-2013, 09:30 AM
I may get MLBTV this year and use my laptop to watch. I was wondering how if anyone has Verizon Fios and view games this way? If so, is there a lot of buffering? I was hoping to be able to hook my laptop to my TV via a HDMI connection.

El Bacalao
02-04-2013, 04:40 PM
Sports Bars for the games. Occasional streaming if I dont want to go to the bar. For info I check sites like these and the internet news sites. I always go atleast one game when the Reds are in SF as well.

LexRedsFan
02-04-2013, 05:46 PM
I always go atleast one game when the Reds are in SF as well.

True that... I'll definitely try to make it to ATL for a game.

nheath22
02-05-2013, 06:32 PM
I may get MLBTV this year and use my laptop to watch. I was wondering how if anyone has Verizon Fios and view games this way? If so, is there a lot of buffering? I was hoping to be able to hook my laptop to my TV via a HDMI connection.

It all depends on your internet connection speeds. Personally, I have decently fast wifi through Comcast and rarely have any problems with buffering. It looks about as good quality-wise as a non HD connection when projecting it to the tv through HDMI. On my laptop, it is closer to HD quailty, but it just depends on the game and how fast your internet is that day. I do not think you will regret getting the MLB.tv package.

dkamberi25
02-06-2013, 10:16 AM
I mostly use ESPN's gamecenter. Besides that I rely on WGN airing the Cubs/Reds games + whatever I can get from ESPN and MLBN.

A couple years ago I ordered the NHL center ice package which on Comcast shares channels with the MLB package. After the hockey season someone at the cable company forgot to turn off those channels and I had the MLB package for nearly three quarters of the season.

JB12
02-06-2013, 02:14 PM
Does anyone have any experience using MLB TV on Apple TV? I live in within the Reds FSN broadcast range, however, I was thinking about using the app to watch other games around the league.

cumberlandreds
02-07-2013, 07:37 AM
It all depends on your internet connection speeds. Personally, I have decently fast wifi through Comcast and rarely have any problems with buffering. It looks about as good quality-wise as a non HD connection when projecting it to the tv through HDMI. On my laptop, it is closer to HD quailty, but it just depends on the game and how fast your internet is that day. I do not think you will regret getting the MLB.tv package.

Thanks!. If I need to I can boost my speed through Verizon. Just have find out how that will cost me.

Eric from NC
02-08-2013, 04:34 PM
I know a friend of college likes to watch Braves games in Richmond VA on apple tv. It does seem that apple tv is less glitchy than trying go through SONY PS3 or some of the other mlb.tv options. Just check the blackout rules. The territory restrictions for teams even apply if you can't get the games from your local cable company.

I know in western nc, you can get FSOhio on Direct TV channel 661 if you have one of choice/premium packages. I have cable but most of the local bars and pizza joints get this channel if they have direct tv.