PDA

View Full Version : Redszone's #16 prospect - runoff style.

texasdave
01-26-2013, 04:46 PM
Well we have our first runoff, folks. David Vidal and Seth Mejias-Brean each collected 8 votes. A 48-hour poll to settle the tie is being posted. Jonathan Reynoso missed out by just one vote.

Kc61
01-26-2013, 05:24 PM
Doesn't matter much, but I would have liked to see Reynoso also in the runoff.

Think it would tell us more if all three closely bunched candidates were in the runoff.

No big deal, obviously.

mth123
01-26-2013, 05:26 PM
Vidal. Closer to the majors. But SMB is next on my list.

Kc61
01-26-2013, 05:32 PM
Vidal will win because he is so loved, but I went with Brean.

When a guy, even a lower level guy, has such a good K/BB rate AND hits for excellent power, he gets number 16 in the runoff IMO.

Steve4192
01-26-2013, 06:04 PM
Vidal for me.

They were both drafted in the 8th round, Mejias-Brean is a year younger, but Vidal is THREE levels ahead of him on the minor league ladder.

Vidal also has a much longer track record as a power hitter, with 2012 being the first time Mejias-Brean has shown any power outside of batting practice.

Lastly, I am more impressed by Vidal's age 21 season (847 OPS in 127 Midwest League games) than I am with Mejias-Brean's age 21 season (925 OPS in 46 Pioneer League games).

mth123
01-26-2013, 06:12 PM
Vidal for me.

They were both drafted in the 8th round, Mejias-Brean is a year younger, but Vidal is THREE levels ahead of him on the minor league ladder.

Vidal also has a much longer track record as a power hitter, with 2012 being the first time Mejias-Brean has shown any power outside of batting practice.

Lastly, I am more impressed by Vidal's age 21 season (847 OPS in 127 Midwest League games) than I am with Mejias-Brean's age 21 season (925 OPS in 46 Pioneer League games).

:thumbup:

Superdude
01-26-2013, 06:24 PM
Vidal will win because he is so loved, but I went with Brean.

When a guy, even a lower level guy, has such a good K/BB rate AND hits for excellent power, he gets number 16 in the runoff IMO.

Same reason for me. A big, athletic player with strong plate discipline and contact skills becomes something pretty special if pro coaching can uncork his power. I don't wanna get too hyped up on Billings stats, but last year was a good sign of adjustments right out of the gate.

dougdirt
01-26-2013, 07:28 PM
Same reason for me. A big, athletic player with strong plate discipline and contact skills becomes something pretty special if pro coaching can uncork his power. I don't wanna get too hyped up on Billings stats, but last year was a good sign of adjustments right out of the gate.

Billings 2012 isn't Billings 2007. New field and it plays quite average, unlike old Billings, which was a launching pad. In fact, left field in Billings KILLS hitters. Right field really, really helps them. Center field plays slightly pitcher friendly.

texasdave
01-27-2013, 12:13 AM
Doesn't matter much, but I would have liked to see Reynoso also in the runoff.

Think it would tell us more if all three closely bunched candidates were in the runoff.

No big deal, obviously.

I strongly considered putting all three in. But is nearing February and we are only on #16. I will try to start a little earlier next off-season.

Red Swagger
01-27-2013, 03:48 AM
Absolute shame Ryan Wright has not been chosen yet. # 9 ranked 2B in prospect world.

mth123
01-27-2013, 06:36 AM
Absolute shame Ryan Wright has not been chosen yet. # 9 ranked 2B in prospect world.

That's like being the 9th tallest midget. MI either need to be able to play SS to some extent or be uber bats who could survive in a corner. Most big league 2B start out as a SS at least in the minors. Guys who are strictly 2B are at a big disadvantage. IMO, Wright would need to have some outsatnding tool to be in the top 20. He's not a big power or speed guy, he has an OK average, but .280 with moderate power, average speed and meh defense in the low minors makes you a fringe guy at best in the big leagues.

Every once in a while, a guy like Marco Scutaro will defy the odds, but they usually aren't high on the prospect lists when it happens.

powersackers
01-28-2013, 01:11 AM

He's got my vote until he's selected.