Roster question / advice
Here's my current roster:
C - Varitek
2B- O. Hudson
OF- S. Green
OF- L. Gonzalez
OF- B. Giles
UT- A. Huff
UT- D. Lee
UT- O. Cabrera
Bench: J. Cruz, Jr.
Bench: R. Durham
I just lost Hairston, who I picked up to replace the injured Durham, to a broken foot, so I then picked up Hudson to fill in until Durham comes back. Reports say that Durham should be back possibly on Monday. Here are the dilemma's I'm facing. Torii Hunter was put on waivers. Should I claim him. Before giving the automatic "yes", here's what I'm faced with. My team is struggling to keep up with others in hits, average, singles, and SB's. If I waive Cabrera and pick up Hunter, I'm picking up another player with a high ceiling that is struggling. I'm afraid I'm building a team of "tons of potential, but not producing," and hoping that they will produce "down the road." The problem is while I'm waiting, my team is getting beat in these categories, and I'm not sure that when these players do produce that I will be able to catch back up. This is a head to head league, so I'm not losing ground in categories, I'm losing the categories in games, which is causing me to lose ground in the standings. Someone also waived Dave Roberts, and I need him for his SB's, although he is on the DL and might not return until mid-June. I was thinking of picking him up and hanging onto him when Durham is healthy. Rich Aurillia is also available and I'd like to get him, but have no room.
What I'm thinking of doing now is the following:
Claim Hunter off waivers and waive Cabrera.
Wait until Durham comes off the DL and waive O. Hudson to pick up D. Roberts (if still available). If he's not still available I'd pick up Aurillia, Phelps, Cabrera, or Steve Finley.
Does this sound like the right thing to do? Any opinions appreciated.
Are you going to waive Hairston? I had him in my league, and luckily Junior Spivey was available on the waiver wire.
Durham *might* be back in a week or two, but the Giants are saying 3-4 weeks.
1. Why is Cruz Jr on your bench? He is your best hitter right now
2. Cabrera is putting up good numbers .303 6 HR 27 RBI's and he will get you about 20 steals, you let him go and there is a very good chance he isnt going to come back. I would try to deal him to a team with a bad SS if you really are talking about getting rid of him... right now he is the 5th best SS in the league.
3. Deal Cruz for a 2B someone like Jeff Kent who is ranked 100+
4. here are a couple more cheaper trade choices that will do the job you want. Castillo, Spivey, Young, Walker, Vidro, M.Anderson.
5. I would try to find a new 3B Alfonzo isnt doing good at all. He is another big problem your AVG is bad.
And a little comparison
Hunter .217 6 HR 28 RBI's 20 R 36 Hits
Cabrera .303 6 HR 27 RBI's 28 R 50 Hits
I wouldnt pick up Hunter right now.... why destroy your AVG even more?
I waived Hairston to pick up Orlando Hudson, so I would have an active second baseman to put in my lineup for the remainder of the week. Unfortunately in my league we only have 1 DL spot, and Randy Johnson is currently in my DL spot, so that is why I have Durham on the bench, and why I waived Hairston, rather than keeping him and putting him on my DL. If I had more DL spots I would have put both Durham and Hairston in those spots, but I don't have that option. Here's the latest report I have on Durham:
Ray Durham (2B) SF is improving so quickly from his ankle sprain that he could be activated as soon as Monday, according to the Contra Costa Times. "He did more running today. He's at 80-85 percent," Giants trainer Stan Conte said yesterday.
To answer some of your questions:
1) I had Cruz on the bench because he is currently in a 5-37 slump and he is off tomorrow (no game) and is going to be rested by Felipe Alou on Friday. I plan on putting him back in the starting lineup on Saturday. When the Pads starting lineup came out for their 1:05pm game and Klesko was not in the starting lineup, I moved Klesko to the bench and put Cruz back in the starting lineup (even though he is hitting like .187 against the D-backs Miguel Batista, who he faces tonight)
2) I agree on Cabrera. That's why I asked the question about what I should do. Still pretty undecided as to whether I should pick up Hunter or keep Cabrera, although I am leaning more toward keeping Cabrera than I was before.
5) After struggling in the beginning of the season, Alfonzo has hit .309 with 3 HR and 13 RBI in May with a 7/2 BB/K rate and a SB. I like him and he's going to be my starting third baseman for the rest of the season, unless someone offers me a really good deal for another third baseman.
|All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:35 PM.|
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2013, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.