Another method of "scoring" posters, such as used in the movie "Dangerous Minds" (think "Gangsta's Paradise", great song), is to start everyone off with a perfect score, and subtract for infractions. As time goes on, those sores (infractions) begin to heal, and the score goes back up. And, I don't think points should ever be "rewarded" in this type of scoring system. Rewarding posts tends to put posters under pressure, and causes posters to privately (PM's) help each other out (as evidenced by other posters in this thread). So:
- score can never be above 100 (you could even institute a "grade", 90-100 = A)
- score goes back up over time and slightly faster when poster continues to contribute to the forum
- score can be knocked down for infractions
- score can never be increased by any other means than time
- poster can have a grade of "I" for inactive if not contributing within 30 days
Just a thought.