Re: Rank the Reds announcers.
1. Steve Stewart - If I want opinions, I'll read the editorial page or RedsZone. Steve is as good as Jack Webb at delivering the facts.
2. Chris Welsh - Best baseball knowledge of any announcer the Reds have in the stable. Some of his opinions are out of left field, like the HR = Rally Killer bit, but I'll cut him some slack since he has a lot of air time to fill and there are only so many anecdotes in the Media Guide.
3. George Grande - Plenty o' facts, but his homespun expressions bug me in the way that Dan Rather's similes did. Still, the man gets mild props from me for omitting the "D" word from that "Sports Show" title. I have to respect someone who takes a public stand about the debasing of society.
4. Joe - Only because I remember him when he used to be good. Father Time and failing health are the biggest reasons he isn't good anymore.
5. Marty - I remember him when he used to be good. If only he'd let Dr. Kremchek operate on his inflamed ego and give him a prescription that would reduce the swelling of those grudges, he could be good again. Stubborn earns Marty a ticket to last place on my list.
Footnote: Since I knew Jim Day in college and haven't heard him announce a game since then, I don't have an informed opinion on his work.